Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Jul 2014, 09:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The Action-Packed Gaming Company, based on the success of

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: 1540 Q800 V740
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 261 [0], given: 11

Re: The Action-Packed Gaming Company, based on the success of [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2013, 01:31
The stimulus says that a new game which was technically superior to the old one failed to do as well in the market. The new game was also based on a martial arts master like the old one, but this one was not a movie figure.

"The passage implies that an explanation for the failure of the new game is based on doubt regarding which of the following assumptions ?"
==> We need to find the option, that when negated, yields an explanation for why this happened.

[A]: Correct. If we remove the assumption that teenagers purchase games based on technological merits, and not name recognition of game characters, then we can conclude that perhaps the second game did not sell well because teenagers did not care about its technological superiority, and failed to relate to the main character.
[B]: If we remove the assumption that buyers purchase games based on popular movies, then we say that these buyers buy on other considerations. In that case, they should have bought the technologically superior game, but did not. This does not help us find out why the second game did not sell as well as the first.
[C]: If we assume that the series was not popular with kids who purchase video games, then it does not help us reason why the second game did not sell well, nor why the first game sold well.
[D]: If we assume that technological improvement does guarantee an increase in sales, then the second game should have done better but it did not.
[E]: If we assume the first game did not benefit through the advertising, it does not explain why the second game failed to do as well (as the two games are then at par on other parameters and the second is still technologically superior)

A is therefore the clear answer.

GyanOne | http://www.GyanOne.com | +91 9899831738

Get a free detailed MBA profile evaluation

Top MBA Rankings and MBA Admissions blog

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1189

Kudos [?]: 3176 [0], given: 178

Re: The Action-Packed Gaming Company, based on the success of [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2013, 19:51
Expert's post
mun23 wrote:
The Action-Packed Gaming Company, based on the success of the previous season’s video game featuring the character Sam Li, of the popular Fist of Awe series of martial arts movies, developed for the current season a similar martial arts game featuring a new character who is also a martial arts master. The new game had improved 3-D graphics, enhanced multiplayer capability, and dozens of new martial arts moves developed by real-life masters. However, marketing surveys showed that teenagers were uninterested in this new game, and the game sold very poorly.

The passage implies that an explanation for the failure of the new game is based on doubt regarding which of the following assumptions?

(A)Teenagers make purchasing decisions based on the technological merits of video games, not the name recognition of the games’ main characters.

(B)Buyers of video games prefer to purchase games based on popular movies.

(C)The Fist of Awe series of movies was extremely popular with teenagers who regularly purchase video games.

(D)Technological improvement from one video game to the next does not guarantee a corresponding increase in sales.

(E)The successful video game may have benefited from advertising associated with the Fist of Awe movies, a benefit the failed video game did not have.

Whats the conclusion here......@whats the answer

Hi,

Let's first understand the argument:

Understanding the argument:

1. Action Packed (AP) gaming company developed a game last season, which featured the character Sam Li, which is a popular character.

2. AP has developed a new but similar game for this season. This new game features a new character.

3. The new game is better in a number of parameters than the old game: improved 3-D graphics, enhanced multi-player capability, and dozens of new martial arts

4. However, marketing surveys showed that teenagers were uninterested in this new game, and the game sold very poorly.

So, we are given an anomaly. While the new game is better at a number of parameters than the old game, the new game still fared poorly.

Pre-thinking:

The question stem asks us to find an explanation for the given anomaly. How can we explain this? One way is that there must be some difference between the new game and the old game, which led to the poor performance of the new game. Another way could be that the general preferences of the teenagers have changed.

Let's look at the option statements. However, kindly note that the we need to find a statement such that doubting it explain the given anomaly. Thus, we'll negate the option statements given and see if that explains the anomaly.

Analysis of Answer Choices:

(A)Teenagers make purchasing decisions based on the technological merits of video games, not the name recognition of the games’ main characters. - Let's negate this.

Negation: Teenagers make purchasing decisions based not on the technological merits of video games, but on the name recognition of the games’ main characters

Is there a difference between the name recognition of the main characters of the two games? The answer is Yes. The new game didn't have a popular character unlike old game. This explain the low sales of new game. Therefore, this option is correct.

(B)Buyers of video games prefer to purchase games based on popular movies. - Negating this:

Negation: Buyers of video games do not prefer to purchase games based on popular movies

This means that old game (based on a character of movie) should not have sold much better than new movie. This negation actually goes against the argument, rather than explaining it. Therefore, Incorrect.

(C)The Fist of Awe series of movies was extremely popular with teenagers who regularly purchase video games. - We can see that negating this will also make it against the argument. Therefore, incorrect.

(D)Technological improvement from one video game to the next does not guarantee a corresponding increase in sales. - Negating this will again imply that the sales of new game should have been higher than old game. This is against the argument. Therefore, incorrect.

(E)The successful video game may have benefited from advertising associated with the Fist of Awe movies, a benefit the failed video game did not have. - This option explains the anamoly as it is. Obviously, when we negate it, we'll land up with something that does not serve our purpose.

Hope this helps :)

Thanks,
Chiranjeev

Free Webinar: July 26, 2014 - Ace GMAT RC: Register for this Free Webinar to learn how to apply the Reading Strategies critical to ace the GMAT Reading Comprehension. Click here to register.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 138 [0], given: 70

Re: The Action-Packed Gaming Company, based on the success of [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2013, 21:38
All duplicate threads on this same topic are merged.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 8

Re: CR 700+ : Sam Li [#permalink] New post 11 May 2013, 14:07
Thank you! This response hit home for me. I had the confusion with the question stem as well. What the question is really asking is "The passage suggests that the Action-Packed Gaming company's new game was not successful because the company incorrectly assumed which of the following?" I kept thinking that the question was asking what explains the conclusion and as a result looked for things that explained the decrease in sale. However, it's asking what was assumed incorrectly by the makers of the game and that resulted in decrease sales?

IanStewart wrote:
greatps24 wrote:

The passage implies that an explanation for the failure of the new game is based on doubt regarding which of the following assumptions?

a.Teenagers make purchasing decisions based on the technological merits of video games, not the name recognition of the games’ main characters.

The key to untangling this problem is understanding what is meant by the question: "The passage implies that an explanation for the failure of the new game is based on doubt regarding which of the following assumptions?" I think this is bad writing - it's the kind of writing you're often asked to fix in a Sentence Correction question. The sentence is written in a passive voice and it is entirely unclear who is making the "assumption" mentioned. So I think the question is open to interpretation, but I think what they mean to ask is: "The passage suggests that the Action-Packed Gaming company's new game was not successful because the company incorrectly assumed which of the following?"

So we need to find an answer choice which describes something the company assumed would ensure its game was a success, but which the passage suggests was an incorrect assumption to make. The company made a new game which was technically superior to the previous Sam Li game, and yet the game did not sell. The company assumed a better product would sell better, but clearly consumers weren't interested in the better game. They wanted the game based on the movie. So A is the best answer here - the company was wrong to assume that teenagers would buy the game that had greater 'technological merits'.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Leadership
Schools: HBS '16
GMAT Date: 11-30-2013
GPA: 3.3
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 232

Re: Video Game [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2013, 04:24
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
sameerdrana wrote:
My question is regarding the verbiage of the question above. It was complicated enough for me to think can such verbiage appear in a real GMAT? None of the OG CR questions had anything close to the one I saw above ( and I thought I was really good at CR! ). Can you share your opinion on this? Can you offer insights how to tackle such verbiage? I spent a lot of time in understanding the question so I rushed the answer and got it wrong.

The verbiage in the stimulus is fine. It can definitely appear in actual GMAT. You need to omit the unnecessary and focus on the main points. The question stem is definitely a little twisted for my liking, though, not unseen. It can appear at higher levels (as pointed out by whiplash2411) I will break down the question once it has been discussed.

Karishma can you help me to understand what is asked in the question-

Like my post Send me a Kudos :) It is a Good manner.

Re: Video Game   [#permalink] 31 Oct 2013, 04:24