Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 04:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The Action-Packed Gaming Company, based on the success of

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [2] , given: 1

The Action-Packed Gaming Company, based on the success of [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2010, 08:12
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

45% (02:40) correct 55% (01:27) wrong based on 645 sessions
The Action-Packed Gaming Company, based on the success of the previous season’s video game featuring the character Sam Li, of the popular Fist of Awe series of martial arts movies, developed for the current season a similar martial arts game featuring a new character who is also a martial arts master. The new game had improved 3-D graphics, enhanced multiplayer capability, and dozens of new martial arts moves developed by real-life masters. However, marketing surveys showed that teenagers were uninterested in this new game, and the game sold very poorly.

The passage implies that an explanation for the failure of the new game is based on doubt regarding which of the following assumptions?

A) Teenagers make purchasing decisions based on the technological merits of video games, not the name recognition of the games’ main characters.

B) Buyers of video games prefer to purchase games based on popular movies.

C) The Fist of Awe series of movies was extremely popular with teenagers who regularly purchase video games.

D) Technological improvement from one video game to the next does not guarantee a corresponding increase in sales.

E) The successful video game may have benefited from advertising associated with the Fist of Awe movies, a benefit the failed video game did not have.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Organizational Behavior
Followers: 349

Kudos [?]: 1415 [0], given: 196

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Video Game [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2010, 15:23
If you really break this question down, it's pretty straightforward. But I think it's quite possible to have such questions once you hit the 700+ levels.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1153

Kudos [?]: 5367 [1] , given: 165

Re: Video Game [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2010, 13:30
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
sameerdrana wrote:
My question is regarding the verbiage of the question above. It was complicated enough for me to think can such verbiage appear in a real GMAT? None of the OG CR questions had anything close to the one I saw above ( and I thought I was really good at CR! ). Can you share your opinion on this? Can you offer insights how to tackle such verbiage? I spent a lot of time in understanding the question so I rushed the answer and got it wrong.

The verbiage in the stimulus is fine. It can definitely appear in actual GMAT. You need to omit the unnecessary and focus on the main points. The question stem is definitely a little twisted for my liking, though, not unseen. It can appear at higher levels (as pointed out by whiplash2411) I will break down the question once it has been discussed.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 51 [3] , given: 1

Re: Video Game [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2010, 07:36
This post received
KUDOS
Hi sameerdrana,

The question stem is really wired. I spent almost 2 mins trying to classify the question type. I guess its a mix of assumption and resolve the paradox question. Here is my take on the question:

There is no main conclusion in the argument I think!

Premise: Company X, released a martial arts game featuring the character Sam Li, of the popular Fist of Awe series of martial arts movies.

Premise: Company X, released a new game this season with better graphics & other better features but the character of the new game is different.

Premise: marketing surveys showed that teenagers were uninterested in this new game, and the game sold very poorly.

Paradox: The new game is better feature wise than the older version yet it sold poorly.

The question asks us to find a assumption which company X made but did not worked out to be true. Thus find out an assumption made by company X, negating which will explain the new game's poor sale.

A) Teenagers make purchasing decisions based on the technological merits of video games, not the name recognition of the games’ main characters.
This must be the correct option since the new game was better in every aspect except the name of the character. If contrary to the company X's assumption teenagers made their decision on the name of the character then this explains the poor sales of new game.

This assumption was made by company but negating it wont explain poor sales of the new game. It actually suggest that the new game should have sold better

C) The Fist of Awe series of movies was extremely popular with teenagers who regularly purchase video games.

This might be one of the assumptions made by company X but this was not the assumption on which the new game's character was based on. It is only related to 1st game

D) Technological improvement from one video game to the next does not guarantee a corresponding increase in sales.
This option actually states an assumption opposite to the one made by company X

E) The successful video game may have benefited from advertising associated with the Fist of Awe movies, a benefit the failed video game did not have.
This is not an assumption. This is a mere fact and does not concern success / failure on the new game.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

Re: Video Game [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2010, 10:49
Thanks Soumana!

Glad to hear I am not the only who found this wired and ended up spending 2+ mins unwiring it!
Soumana/Karishma, In a real test should I put a hard stop at 2mins and just let go off my ego and skip to the next question?

Regards,
Sameer
Expert Post

Kudos [?]: 5367 [0], given: 165

Re: Video Game [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2010, 18:08
Expert's post
sameerdrana wrote:
Thanks Soumana!

Glad to hear I am not the only who found this wired and ended up spending 2+ mins unwiring it!
Soumana/Karishma, In a real test should I put a hard stop at 2mins and just let go off my ego and skip to the next question?

Regards,
Sameer

I think it will depend on your status at the time. Let me explain:

Neck to neck run: If in Verbal, you race with time and pretty much take about 2 mins per question, there is no point spending much time on it. If in first 30 secs, you are unable to understand the question, you should guess and move on to the next question. You can better use the time you saved in another question that you understand well. Else, you will probably put another 30 sec- 1 min in deciphering it. By the time you are done with the stimulus and ready to go to options, 2 mins might already be up and you will need another 2 mins at least to answer it. Then again, the answer may or may not be correct. Not worth it.

On the other hand, if you are on the 30th question say, and you still have 25 minutes remaining, by all means give it your best shot. Of course, you shouldn't put more than 3-4 mins but you can afford to put that much time into it.

If you have reached a level in the test where the software is giving you high level questions, it is not by chance. It is because you did well in previous questions. The software doesn't give you a 700 level question because you answered a 500 level one correctly. It gives you 700 level question after you do well in 600 level ones. The point is, if you reached the question, it is worth a fair shot even if at first it looks troublesome, but only in case you have time to spare. Else dump it within the first 30 secs and use the time you save in some other question. 'It's not quitting, it's strategy.' Brian has explained this in detail in his excellent blog post:
http://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2010/10/gmat-tip-of-week-punting-for-field/

Karishma
My Blog

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 1

Re: Video Game [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2010, 18:47
Hi sameer,

If you see this kind of a question in the CAT be very sure that you are well on your way to a 700+ score ( unless something terrible happened to you in your quants section). Also be sure that you will not get much time time to analyze in detail. It is trying to confuse us by complex wording. If you dont get after reading it 1 or 2 times then it is wiser to move on I guess!! We dont want to end up with an unfinished section under any circumstances :-D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
WE: Project Management (Manufacturing)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 75

Re: Video Game [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2010, 06:00
Funny, one look at A and I was totally impressed. All others are out of scope or extreme

My GMAT debrief: from-620-to-710-my-gmat-journey-114437.html

Expert Post
9 KUDOS received

Kudos [?]: 5367 [9] , given: 165

Re: Video Game [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2010, 06:38
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
The Action-Packed Gaming Company, based on the success of the previous season’s video game featuring the character Sam Li, of the popular Fist of Awe series of martial arts movies, developed for the current season a similar martial arts game featuring a new character who is also a martial arts master. The new game had improved 3-D graphics, enhanced multiplayer capability, and dozens of new martial arts moves developed by real-life masters. However, marketing surveys showed that teenagers were uninterested in this new game, and the game sold very poorly.

The passage implies that an explanation for the failure of the new game is based on doubt regarding which of the following assumptions?

Read the question stem first: The passage implies that an explanation for the failure of the new game is based on doubt regarding which of the following assumptions?
double take... what!!!
Now break it down
The passage implies that - According to the passage
an explanation for the failure of the new game is based on - The passage has explained that a game failed. The reason is based on...
doubt regarding which of the following assumptions - Which of the assumptions fell through... failed to realize...

Ok, put it all together. The passage says that the new game failed. The reason is that an assumption (probably made by the game makers) did not realize. What is that assumption?

So we are looking for [highlight]an assumption[/highlight] that fell through and led to the failure of the game.

Now, we break down the stimulus:
[highlight]The Action-Packed Gaming Company[/highlight], based on the success of the previous season’s video game featuring the character Sam Li, of the popular Fist of Awe series of martial arts movies, [highlight]developed for the current season a similar martial arts game featuring a new character[/highlight] who is also a martial arts master.
Gist - APGC developed a martial arts game featuring a new character. This game was based on success of previous season's game featuring popular Sam Li.

[highlight]The new game had improved 3-D graphics,[/highlight] enhanced multiplayer capability, and dozens of new martial arts moves developed by real-life masters.
However, marketing surveys showed that teenagers were uninterested in this new game, and the game sold very poorly.

Right! So they made the game under some assumptions and one of them failed to realize. We are looking for that assumption.

The game makers did assume this. They chose a new character for their game as opposed to Sam Li who was already very popular. And they made this game technologically advanced because they assumed that teenagers will appreciate it. But apparently, this assumption failed since teenagers were not interested in this game.

B) Buyers of video games prefer to purchase games based on popular movies. - They did not assume this while making their new game. It was not based on popular movie character.

C) The Fist of Awe series of movies was extremely popular with teenagers who regularly purchase video games. - This was not an assumption they made while making this year's game. It is irrelevant to our discussion of the failure of this year's game.

D) Technological improvement from one video game to the next does not guarantee a corresponding increase in sales. - The game makers did not assume this. They made it technologically advanced probably because they actually believed that technological improvement DOES bring in greater success.

E) The successful video game may have benefited from advertising associated with the Fist of Awe movies, a benefit the failed video game did not have. - Again not an assumption the new game makers had in mind that failed them.

Answer (A).

Karishma
My Blog

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: Duke '15
GPA: 3.9

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 4

Re: Video Game [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2011, 03:05
The way the question is slightly twisted even made me double take and I consider CR to be the easiest of all the sections. But as whiplash and Karishma point out if you really break it down the question does become really simple.

Show Thanks to fellow members with Kudos its shows your appreciation and its free

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Sustainability, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.98
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 11

[#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2011, 11:58
So on reviewing my MGMAT Cat, I was surprised to see this question wrong, even though at the time I thought that more than one answer choice fit. Basically the wording of the question stem is incredibly confusing. I haven't come across this way of asking a question yet, in either PS SC bible (I am still finishing this book though) or the MGMAT CR guide.

Essentially, it is asking which answer choice is unlikely to be true. I spent over 2 min on this damn question, and still got it wrong as I was unable to decipher the question stem correctly!! GAH! Ended up answering the opposite of what the question asked.

On reflection, though, it is not that hard. I need to read better and closer (something I find myself saying every night as I go to bed).
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received

Kudos [?]: 5367 [1] , given: 165

Re: The Action-Packed Gaming Company, based on the success of [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2012, 03:38
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
alchemist009 wrote:
i still dont get that why D is wrong

The assumption that game makers might have made is "Technological improvement from one video game to the next DOES guarantee a corresponding increase in sales."
The makers made the next game technologically superior because they might have expected a better return. If they assume that technological improvement DOES NOT guarantee increase in sales, why would they invest extra money to make it technologically superior?

Karishma
My Blog

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 07-04-2012
WE: Programming (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Re: The Action-Packed Gaming Company, based on the success of [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2012, 12:24
thnx for explaination Karishma.

The question is :

Read the question stem first: The passage implies that an explanation for the failure of the new game is based on doubt regarding which of the following assumptions?

And my understanding of question is :

The explaination for the failure of the new game is based on doubt on the truthfulness of an assumptiom. Select that assumption.

Please let me know if I am wrong !!
thnx

Thanks,
Arun Mehta

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I do not wish to be the best person that the world has ever seen , I just want to be the best person that you have ever seen.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 5

Reviews Badge
Re: Video Game [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2012, 12:43
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
sameerdrana wrote:
Thanks Soumana!

Regards,
Sameer

I think it will depend on your status at the time. Let me explain:

Neck to neck run: If in Verbal, you race with time and pretty much take about 2 mins per question, there is no point spending much time on it. If in first 30 secs, you are unable to understand the question, you should guess and move on to the next question. You can better use the time you saved in another question that you understand well. Else, you will probably put another 30 sec- 1 min in deciphering it. By the time you are done with the stimulus and ready to go to options, 2 mins might already be up and you will need another 2 mins at least to answer it. Then again, the answer may or may not be correct. Not worth it.

On the other hand, if you are on the 30th question say, and you still have 25 minutes remaining, by all means give it your best shot. Of course, you shouldn't put more than 3-4 mins but you can afford to put that much time into it.

If you have reached a level in the test where the software is giving you high level questions, it is not by chance. It is because you did well in previous questions. The software doesn't give you a 700 level question because you answered a 500 level one correctly. It gives you 700 level question after you do well in 600 level ones. The point is, if you reached the question, it is worth a fair shot even if at first it looks troublesome, but only in case you have time to spare. Else dump it within the first 30 secs and use the time you save in some other question. 'It's not quitting, it's strategy.' Brian has explained this in detail in his excellent blog post:
http://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2010/10/gmat-tip-of-week-punting-for-field/

Hi Karishma,

Is it like, you will be penalized more if you spend more time and answer incorrectly on an easy question, than you still answer incorrectly but take less time on the same question?
Also, how is the same scenario with a tough question?
Pls explain..
My god, I need to put up with hell-a-lot-of strategies, is it? besides, answering as such...
Expert Post

Kudos [?]: 5367 [0], given: 165

Re: The Action-Packed Gaming Company, based on the success of [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2012, 17:57
Expert's post
arunmehta89 wrote:
thnx for explaination Karishma.

The question is :

And my understanding of question is :

The explaination for the failure of the new game is based on doubt on the truthfulness of an assumptiom. Select that assumption.

Please let me know if I am wrong !!
thnx

Yes you can think of it this way if it helps.

Karishma
My Blog

Veritas Prep Reviews

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
WE: Consulting (Telecommunications)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 75

The Action-Packed Gaming Company, based on the success of [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2013, 01:50

a.Teenagers make purchasing decisions based on the technological merits of video games, not the name recognition of the games’ main characters.

b. Buyers of video games prefer to purchase games based on popular movies.

c. The Fist of Awe series of movies was extremely popular with teenagers who regularly purchase video games.

d. Technological improvement from one video game to the next does not guarantee a corresponding increase in sales.

e. The successful video game may have benefited from advertising associated with the Fist of Awe movies, a benefit the failed video game did not have.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
OA soon. Please explain PoE.

Edit: by carcass

YOU CAN, IF YOU THINK YOU CAN

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 28

Re: CR 700+ : Sam Li [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2013, 06:07

Premise: Made a video game based on previous video game's success.
Premise 2: Company developed a new game thinking that the previous game's success was because it had martial arts moves

Conclusion: The game was a flop

Assumption which is related to the conclusion--- > The teenagers bought the previous game because it featured the character of famous movie whereas the company thought that the reason for success was because the previous game had martial arts.
Option B clearly gets to the conclusion . So that should be the answer.

a.Teenagers make purchasing decisions based on the technological merits of video games, not the name recognition of the games’ main characters.

b. Buyers of video games prefer to purchase games based on popular movies.

c. The Fist of Awe series of movies was extremely popular with teenagers who regularly purchase video games.

d. Technological improvement from one video game to the next does not guarantee a corresponding increase in sales.

e. The successful video game may have benefited from advertising associated with the Fist of Awe movies, a benefit the failed video game did not have.

If you learnt anything from my post, Press KUDOS
After all, KUDOS is a great way to encourage the complete community. :-D
GMAT Instructor
Followers: 261

Kudos [?]: 708 [0], given: 3

Re: CR 700+ : Sam Li [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2013, 13:42
greatps24 wrote:

The key to untangling this problem is understanding what is meant by the question: "The passage implies that an explanation for the failure of the new game is based on doubt regarding which of the following assumptions?" I think this is bad writing - it's the kind of writing you're often asked to fix in a Sentence Correction question. The sentence is written in a passive voice and it is entirely unclear who is making the "assumption" mentioned. So I think the question is open to interpretation, but I think what they mean to ask is: "The passage suggests that the Action-Packed Gaming company's new game was not successful because the company incorrectly assumed which of the following?"

So we need to find an answer choice which describes something the company assumed would ensure its game was a success, but which the passage suggests was an incorrect assumption to make. The company made a new game which was technically superior to the previous Sam Li game, and yet the game did not sell. The company assumed a better product would sell better, but clearly consumers weren't interested in the better game. They wanted the game based on the movie. So A is the best answer here - the company was wrong to assume that teenagers would buy the game that had greater 'technological merits'.

Nov 2011: After years of development, I am now making my advanced Quant books and high-level problem sets available for sale. Contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com for details.

Private GMAT Tutor based in Toronto

Expert Post
Followers: 311

Kudos [?]: 2615 [0], given: 696

Re: The Action-Packed Gaming Company, based on the success of [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2013, 13:51
Expert's post
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Accounting
GMAT Date: 04-06-2013
GPA: 3.65
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 115 [0], given: 46

The Action-Packed Gaming Company, based on the success of [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2013, 22:28

(A)Teenagers make purchasing decisions based on the technological merits of video games, not the name recognition of the games’ main characters.

(B)Buyers of video games prefer to purchase games based on popular movies.

(C)The Fist of Awe series of movies was extremely popular with teenagers who regularly purchase video games.

(D)Technological improvement from one video game to the next does not guarantee a corresponding increase in sales.

(E)The successful video game may have benefited from advertising associated with the Fist of Awe movies, a benefit the failed video game did not have.

Whats the conclusion here......@whats the answer
The Action-Packed Gaming Company, based on the success of   [#permalink] 01 Mar 2013, 22:28