Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 12:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The Acts of Trade and Navigation, passed by Parliament to

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 2.9
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 91

Kudos [?]: 396 [2] , given: 334

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
The Acts of Trade and Navigation, passed by Parliament to [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2013, 22:36
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

65% (02:22) correct 35% (00:59) wrong based on 151 sessions
The Acts of Trade and Navigation, passed by Parliament to protect British trade with their colonies, required that all trade between England and its colonies be carried on British ships, that all imports to the colonies come from England, and that certain colonial exports be shipped only to England.

A .passed by Parliament to protect British trade with their colonies, required that all trade between England and its colonies be carried on British ships, that all imports to the colonies come from England
B. which Parliament passed to protect its trade with its colonies, required that all trade between England and its colonies be carried on British ships, all imports to the colonies come from England
C. which Parliament passed to protect Britain’s trade with its colonies, required that all trade between England and its colonies was carried on British ships, all imports to the colonies come from England
D. passed by Parliament to protect Britain’s trade with its colonies, required that all trade between England and its colonies be carried on British ships, that all imports to the colonies come from England,
E. which were passed by Parliament to protect British trade with its colonies, made it a requirement that all trade between England and its colonies be carried on British ships, that all imports to the colonies come from England

OA after some discussion.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

ISB Class of 2016 | Chat Session with ISB ADCOM | How to get started with Essays | GMAT Retake Debrief | ISB Preparation Kit
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
ISB Class of 2015 | My GMAT Debrief | My ISB Interview | General interview tips | How to tackle "Do you have anything to ask" question

Last edited by ankurgupta03 on 22 Jun 2013, 23:54, edited 1 time in total.
3 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 121

Kudos [?]: 1285 [3] , given: 120

Premium Member
Re: The Acts of Trade and Navigation, passed by Parliament to [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2013, 23:51
This post received
KUDOS
The Acts of Trade and Navigation, passed by Parliament to protect British trade with their colonies, required that all trade between England and its colonies be carried on British ships, that all imports to the colonies come from England, and that certain colonial exports be shipped only to England.

A .passed by Parliament to protect British trade with their colonies, required that all trade between England and its colonies be carried on British ships, that all imports to the colonies come from England
Wrong. "their" is incorrect. ==> British trade is singular ==> "its colonies" is correct.

B. which Parliament passed to protect its trade with its colonies, required that all trade between England and its colonies be carried on British ships, all imports to the colonies come from England
Wrong. the meaning is distorted. It's like "Parliament passed the acts to protect Parliament's trade".

C. which Parliament passed to protect Britain’s trade with its colonies, required that all trade between England and its colonies was carried on British ships, all imports to the colonies come from England
Wrong.
(1) "The acts which Parliament passed" is wrong, because "the acts" is subject, "which" modifies "The acts" ==> After "which" should be verb. For example: The Acts which were passed by Parliaments.
(2) Idiom: require that X do Y ==> the "infinitive without TO" form of the verb to be is always just be, not is, are, was,...

D. passed by Parliament to protect Britain’s trade with its colonies, required that all trade between England and its colonies be carried on British ships, that all imports to the colonies come from England,
Correct.
(1) "passed by Parliament....colonies" modifies "the Acts"
(2) Correct idiom: required that X be carried ......

E. which were passed by Parliament to protect British trade with its colonies, made it a requirement that all trade between England and its colonies be carried on British ships, that all imports to the colonies come from England
Wrong. "made it a requirement" sounds awkward.

Waiting for the OA.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Followers: 288

Kudos [?]: 2427 [2] , given: 693

Re: The Acts of Trade and Navigation, passed by Parliament to [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2013, 09:55
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 530 Q43 V20
GMAT 2: 560 Q42 V25
GMAT 3: 650 Q48 V31
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 37 [1] , given: 65

Re: The Acts of Trade and Navigation, passed by Parliament to [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2013, 22:44
This post received
KUDOS
IMO answer is D

B, C, and E are out since which cause the statement to be fragment.

A has a pronoun error their with no antecedent. British serves as an adjective for this choice.

KUDOS is a way to say Thank You

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Followers: 288

Kudos [?]: 2427 [1] , given: 693

Re: The Acts of Trade and Navigation, passed by Parliament to [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2013, 07:39
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
ankurgupta03 wrote:
pqhai wrote:

Hi ankurgupta.

If you think "its" refers to Britain's trade, "its" will also refer to "British trade" in E? => how comes E is better than D?

Thats what ... i think that no answer is correct, i am not supporting E also ... just that i find E better than D

But your think or what you do feel about a question could not be true for the GMAT.

E really goes so far from the truth

Quote:

which were passed by Parliament: is wordy, is quite clear even not considering at all the rest of the phrase

made it: it in my logic refers to the act that has no sense because tha act by itself do nothing. The act is an expression of the parliament's will, then this will is exteriorized in an act that does something in turns.......so E is incorrect though is parallel with usage of THAT

Moreover, which is wrong because which Parliament passed seems that someone other entity says to the Parliament to pass something not the parliament itself wants to pass the act. The Parliament is the vertex of a democracy so nothing is above the parliament. So the other choices have no much sense

Hope this helps you

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 112

Kudos [?]: 1152 [1] , given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: The Acts of Trade and Navigation, passed by Parliament to [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2013, 08:16
This post received
KUDOS
Pronoun ambiguity on the GMAT is one of the most complicated topics you can find in the test.

Both "its" refer to Britain because it's the only possible noun that makes this sentence work. Example:
passed by Parliament to protect Britain’s trade with its (of the Parliament) colonies => no sense.

Even though as you say, ankurgupta03, that there is no clear clear antecedent, the meaning of the sentence is what helps you here.

Take a look at an official problem, where even thoug "they" seems ambiguos, the meaning of the sentence clarifies what it refers to: while-depressed-property-values-can-hurt-some-large-91967.html

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 4

Re: The Acts of Trade and Navigation, passed by Parliament to [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2013, 13:26
This post received
KUDOS
nt2010 wrote:
IMO answer is D

A has a pronoun error their with no antecedent. British serves as an adjective for this choice.

The Acts of Trade and Navigation, which Parliament passed to protect its trade with its colonies, required that all trade between England and its colonies be carried on British ships, all imports to the colonies come from England, and that certain colonial exports be shipped only to England.

If you remove the colored part the remaining is not a complete sentence and that's why it is a fragment.

But I also got D not through the fragment thing.
BSchool Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 396 [0], given: 334

Re: The Acts of Trade and Navigation, passed by Parliament to [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2013, 22:56
nt2010 wrote:
IMO answer is D

Why is which causing the sentence to be a fragment? Can you please explain ...
Also in the sentence D, whay is its referring to, i dont see a clear antecedent for it.

ISB Class of 2016 | Chat Session with ISB ADCOM | How to get started with Essays | GMAT Retake Debrief | ISB Preparation Kit
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
ISB Class of 2015 | My GMAT Debrief | My ISB Interview | General interview tips | How to tackle "Do you have anything to ask" question

BSchool Forum Moderator

Re: The Acts of Trade and Navigation, passed by Parliament to [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2013, 23:56
pqhai wrote:

Wrong. "their" is incorrect. ==> British trade is singular ==> "its colonies" is correct.

Wrong. the meaning is distorted. It's like "Parliament passed the acts to protect Parliament's trade".

Wrong.
(1) "The acts which Parliament passed" is wrong, because "the acts" is subject, "which" modifies "The acts" ==> After "which" should be verb. For example: The Acts which were passed by Parliaments.
(2) Idiom: require that X do Y ==> the "infinitive without TO" form of the verb to be is always just be, not is, are, was,...

Correct.

Waiting for the OA.

Thanks pqhai for pointing out the error in E, but still i feel that there is no antecedent of its in British and even if made it a requirement sounds awkward, still due to no antecedent of its in D, i find E a better option.
Can you please clear my doubt...

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 1285 [0], given: 120

Premium Member
Re: The Acts of Trade and Navigation, passed by Parliament to [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2013, 00:08
ankurgupta03 wrote:
pqhai wrote:

Wrong.

Correct.

Waiting for the OA.

Thanks pqhai for pointing out the error in E, but still i feel that there is no antecedent of its in British and even if made it a requirement sounds awkward, still due to no antecedent of its in D, i find E a better option.
Can you please clear my doubt...

Hi ankurgupta.

My thought for your doubt is:

In the phrase "to protect Britain's trade with its colonies", "its" refers to a country - Britain very clearly.
For example: Because Mary was absent, the teacher shared Mary's lunch to her classmates.
"her" definitely refers to Mary. You cannot say "her" refers to "the teacher". That does not make sense, because "classmates" should be compared to Mary, not the teacher.

Please correct if I'm wrong.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

BSchool Forum Moderator

Re: The Acts of Trade and Navigation, passed by Parliament to [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2013, 00:28
pqhai wrote:

Hi ankurgupta.

In the phrase "to protect Britain's trade with its colonies", "its" refers to a country - Britain very clearly.
For example: Because Mary was absent, the teacher shared Mary's lunch to her classmates.
"her" definitely refers to Mary. You cannot say "her" refers to "the teacher". That does not make sense, because "classmates" should be compared to Mary, not the teacher.

Hi pqhai,

In the example you gave, Mary has been introduced, but it the given question, Britain has no where been talked about, its just Britain's trade, so its should refer to Britain's trade ... IMO

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 1285 [0], given: 120

Premium Member
Re: The Acts of Trade and Navigation, passed by Parliament to [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2013, 00:33
ankurgupta03 wrote:
pqhai wrote:

Hi ankurgupta.

Hi pqhai,

In the example you gave, Mary has been introduced, but it the given question, Britain has no where been talked about, its just Britain's trade, so its should refer to Britain's trade ... IMO

Hi ankurgupta.

If you think "its" refers to Britain's trade, "its" will also refer to "British trade" in E? => how comes E is better than D?

BSchool Forum Moderator

Re: The Acts of Trade and Navigation, passed by Parliament to [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2013, 01:29
pqhai wrote:

Hi ankurgupta.

Thats what ... i think that no answer is correct, i am not supporting E also ... just that i find E better than D

BSchool Forum Moderator

Re: The Acts of Trade and Navigation, passed by Parliament to [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2013, 08:00
carcass wrote:
ankurgupta03 wrote:
pqhai wrote:

Hi ankurgupta.

But your think or what you do feel about a question could not be true for the GMAT.

E really goes so far from the truth

Quote:

which were passed by Parliament: is wordy, is quite clear even not considering at all the rest of the phrase

made it: it in my logic refers to the act that has no sense because tha act by itself do nothing. The act is an expression of the parliament's will, then this will is exteriorized in an act that does something in turns.......so E is incorrect though is parallel with usage of THAT

Moreover, which is wrong because which Parliament passed seems that someone other entity says to the Parliament to pass something not the parliament itself wants to pass the act. The Parliament is the vertex of a democracy so nothing is above the parliament. So the other choices have no much sense

Hope this helps you

Hi Carcass,

I agree that E is wrong, but so is D, there is not clear antecedent for its in the option D ...

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 530 Q43 V20
GMAT 2: 560 Q42 V25
GMAT 3: 650 Q48 V31
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 65

Re: The Acts of Trade and Navigation, passed by Parliament to [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2013, 14:17
ankurgupta03,

To find whether a sentence is a fragment or complete sentence is to cross out the non essential modifiers - modifiers delimited by commas - and the remaining core sentence should still have a subject and verb.

In D its is a possessive pronoun referring to possessive noun Britain.

Hope this is clear.

KUDOS is a way to say Thank You

Re: The Acts of Trade and Navigation, passed by Parliament to   [#permalink] 23 Jun 2013, 14:17