Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 18:53 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 18:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1100 [39]
Given Kudos: 8
GMAT 1: 520 Q35 V26
GMAT 2: 670 Q48 V34
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Director
Director
Status:Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
Own Kudos [?]: 4594 [9]
Given Kudos: 235
GPA: 3.51
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Statistics, Marketing
GMAT 1: 640 Q46 V32
GPA: 3.15
WE:Analyst (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: The analysis includes data from more than three million [#permalink]
Can someone please explain if the choice C is not trying to change the meaning?

"...from selected American Indian reservations" is trying to make children and reservations parallel.

See:
The analysis includes data FROM more than three million children younger than 15 in five states — New York, New Jersey, Ohio, North Carolina and Oregon — as well as FROM selected American Indian reservations.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 4
Send PM
Kudos
bakavoice wrote:
Can someone please explain if the choice C is not trying to change the meaning?

"...from selected American Indian reservations" is trying to make children and reservations parallel.

See:
The analysis includes data FROM more than three million children younger than 15 in five states — New York, New Jersey, Ohio, North Carolina and Oregon — as well as FROM selected American Indian reservations.

Right that's another thing that threw me off. How do you make "children" and "reservations" parallel? "Children" specifies people, while "reservations" specifies places.

If we were to shorten the sentence and simplify it a bit by substituting words, we can write something like:

"The analysis includes data from 5 people in California as well as from Texas."

That sentence seems really confusing to me. Are there 5 people from the combined populations of California and Texas included in the analysis? Or are there 5 people from California along with the entire population of Texas?

The sentence should be either
"The analysis includes data from 5 people in California and from all people in Texas."
or
"The analysis includes data from 5 people in California and in Texas.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
The analysis includes data from more than three [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Sentence: Analysis includes data from X- ... and Y as well. No parallel.

A.
B. Analysis includes data from X- ... including Y. Here including doesn't logically connect what comes before and after the including.
C. Analysis includes data from X- ... as well as from Y- Parallel
D.Analysis includes data from X- ... and in Y as well. - Not parallel
E. Analysis includes data from X- ... with Y included. with Y included doesn't logically modify anything in the preceding part. It looks like it is modifying the subject- The Analysis. The analysis with Y included is not what the sentence wants to say. It the data that includes Y, not the analysis.

Only C
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618603 [2]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
NeverSurrender wrote:
The analysis includes data from more than three million children younger than 15 in five states — New York, New Jersey, Ohio, North Carolina and Oregon — and selected American Indian reservations as well.

A) and selected American Indian reservations as well
B) including selected American Indian reservations
C) as well as from selected American Indian reservations
D) and in selected American Indian reservations as well
E) with selected American Indian reservations included

VERITAS PREP OFFICIAL EXPLANATION:

To get this problem correct, you need to use “slash-and-burn” to simplify the sentence. (A) and (D) are the easiest to eliminate because the “as well” at the end is redundant—you do not say “and” and “as well”. In (B) you would not say: “The analysis includes data from children in 5 states, including reservations..” This is a redundant and nonsensical structure. (E) suffers from the same issue with the “included” at the end. Only (C) uses the proper structure to convey that the “analysis includes data from children in 5 states as well as from selected reservations…” Correct answer is (C).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
Send PM
Hi AjiteshArun can you help me please with this option C. Option C is putting parallel "children younger than 15 in five states" and "selected American Indian reservations" ,Is is fine as per GMAT parallelism concept .Doesn't we need to put children and children or place and place parallel?
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
NeverSurrender wrote:
The analysis includes data from more than three million children younger than 15 in five states — New York, New Jersey, Ohio, North Carolina and Oregon — and selected American Indian reservations as well.

A) and selected American Indian reservations as well
B) including selected American Indian reservations
C) as well as from selected American Indian reservations
D) and in selected American Indian reservations as well
E) with selected American Indian reservations included

Meaning is crucial to solving this problem:
Understanding the intended meaning is key to solving this question; the intended meaning of this sentence is that the analysis includes data from more than three million children younger than 15 in five states, which are New York, New Jersey, Ohio, North Carolina and Oregon, and the analysis includes data from selected American Indian reservations as well.

Concepts tested here: Meaning + Parallelism + Awkwardness/Redundancy

• Any elements linked by a conjunction (“and” and “as well as” in this sentence) must be parallel.

A: This answer choice fails to maintain parallelism between "from more than...in five states" and "selected American Indian reservations as well"; please remember, any elements linked by a conjunction ("and" in this sentence) must be parallel. Further, Option A redundantly uses "and" alongside "as well", rendering it awkward and needlessly wordy.

B: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "including selected American Indian reservations"; the use of "including" incorrectly implies that the analysis includes data from more than three million children younger than 15 in five states, and these states include selected American Indian reservations; the intended meaning is that the analysis includes data from more than three million children younger than 15 in five states and includes data from selected American Indian reservations.

C: Correct. This answer choice uses the phrase "from selected American Indian reservations", conveying the intended meaning - that the analysis includes data from more than three million children younger than 15 in five states and includes data from selected American Indian reservations. Further, Option C correctly maintains parallelism between "from more than...in five states" and "from selected American Indian reservations". Additionally, Option C is free of any awkwardness or redundancy.

D: This answer choice fails to maintain parallelism between "from more than...in five states" and "in selected American Indian reservations as well"; please remember, any elements linked by a conjunction ("and" in this sentence) must be parallel. Further, Option D redundantly uses "and" alongside "as well", rendering it awkward and needlessly wordy.

E: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "with selected American Indian reservations included"; the construction of this phrase incorrectly implies that the analysis includes data from more than three million children younger than 15 in five states, and these states include selected American Indian reservations; the intended meaning is that the analysis includes data from more than three million children younger than 15 in five states and includes data from selected American Indian reservations.

Hence, C is the best answer choice.

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [2]
Given Kudos: 626
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Gaurav2896 wrote:
Hi AjiteshArun can you help me please with this option C. Option C is putting parallel "children younger than 15 in five states" and "selected American Indian reservations" ,Is is fine as per GMAT parallelism concept .Doesn't we need to put children and children or place and place parallel?

Hi Gaurav2896,

The correct option leads to this: ... includes data {from something} as well as {from something else}

It's possible to use from after as well as, so that's not a problem. Also, the repetition of the preposition from makes it clear what the two sources are. The nouns inside those two phrases aren't very important, as long as they are capable of acting as data sources.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
Schools: HBS '25 (A)
Send PM
KarishmaB GMATGuruNY

Would love to hear your thoughts on this question. Seems like several students in this thread, including me, had similar issues. I have two questions:
1) What is the intended parallelism in the correct answer choice (C)? As shown below, I spot two possible parallel structures, each with a different meaning:
The analysis includes data [from more than three million children younger than 15 in five states] — New York, New Jersey, Ohio, North Carolina and Oregon — as well as [from selected American Indian reservations as well.]

The analysis includes data from more than three million children younger than 15 [in five states] — New York, New Jersey, Ohio, North Carolina and Oregon — as well as [from selected American Indian reservations as well.]

2) What is the problem with Option B? The sentence (ignoring the dash) reads "analysis includes data from more than three million children younger than 15 in five states — New York, New Jersey, Ohio, North Carolina and Oregon — including selected American Indian reservations." I interpret this sentence to mean that the analysis had data from the children in five states that include selected American Indian reservations. In other words, maybe the purpose of the analysis was to look specifically at data from these five states because these states contain the selected American Indian reservations.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [3]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Sambon
There are two ways we could read "including" in B.
1: Noun modifier. In that case, it is saying that the list of states includes selected reservations. Since reservations aren't states, that doesn't work.
2: Adverbial modifier. In that case, it would need to refer back to the previous action, but the verb in question is "included." In that case, we're saying "While the study included data, it included reservations." Data and reservations aren't parallel thing to include. In any case, it would be weird to create any sentence where the adverbial modifier is just another form of the main noun: "I noticed several discrepancies, noticing poor work by my predecessor." While I noticed, I was noticing? There just has to be a better way to say that!

As for your first question, I have to agree with idontgetit above, who seems to get it quite well. C implies that the data is FROM CHILDREN and FROM RESERVATIONS. Why are these ideas being made parallel? Is this really a study combining children with American Indians of all ages? That seems unlikely. D makes much more sense.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64882 [3]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Sambon wrote:
KarishmaB GMATGuruNY

Would love to hear your thoughts on this question. Seems like several students in this thread, including me, had similar issues. I have two questions:
1) What is the intended parallelism in the correct answer choice (C)? As shown below, I spot two possible parallel structures, each with a different meaning:
The analysis includes data [from more than three million children younger than 15 in five states] — New York, New Jersey, Ohio, North Carolina and Oregon — as well as [from selected American Indian reservations as well.]

The analysis includes data from more than three million children younger than 15 [in five states] — New York, New Jersey, Ohio, North Carolina and Oregon — as well as [from selected American Indian reservations as well.]

2) What is the problem with Option B? The sentence (ignoring the dash) reads "analysis includes data from more than three million children younger than 15 in five states — New York, New Jersey, Ohio, North Carolina and Oregon — including selected American Indian reservations." I interpret this sentence to mean that the analysis had data from the children in five states that include selected American Indian reservations. In other words, maybe the purpose of the analysis was to look specifically at data from these five states because these states contain the selected American Indian reservations.

Sambon

(B) The analysis includes data from ... children ... in five states ... including selected American Indian reservations.

For example, "five states including Ohio" would make sense. We are saying that one of the included states is Ohio.
But five states including American Indian reservations makes no sense because the American Indian reservations are not states.

For "including..." to be a participle phrase at the end of the sentence modifying the previous clause, I would expect a comma before it.
The analysis includes data from ... , including ...
Even then, "including" is modifying "includes" which is rather odd.

As for this parallelism you mention:

To clarify this parallelism, one would write:
The analysis includes data from more than three million children younger than 15 [in five states] ... as well as [in selected American Indian reservations.]

Now I know that we are talking about children in 5 states and children in selected American Indian reservations. Option (D) does something like this but has a redundant "as well" at the end.

Option (C)
The analysis includes data from .. children ... in five states as well as from selected American Indian reservations.

Tells us that data is from children in 5 states and from selected American Indian reservations (whether only children or all we don't know).
This is acceptable.

That is why (C) is the best answer.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Expert Reply
But KarishmaB, both C and D say "as well," and there's nothing inherently correct about using this with "and." Are you sure D wasn't the intended answer? If not, I'd say this one needs revision.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64882 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
The analysis includes data from more than three million [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
DmitryFarber wrote:
But KarishmaB, both C and D say "as well," and there's nothing inherently correct about using this with "and." Are you sure D wasn't the intended answer? If not, I'd say this one needs revision.

DmitryFarber, since (D) has redundancy (I don't need to use "as well" when I am already using "and"), I would prefer (C) which uses only "as well as". To me, it is certainly conceivable that an analysis used data from children of some states and data from selected American Indian reservations - perhaps a study on the impact of rampant use of technology on our children and how they compare with the children and adults who do not use technology much etc. Hence (C) looks better.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 3134 [2]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Dartmouth College
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Generally, as well at the end of a sentence serves to modify an action that is performed in addition to a previously discussed action.
Last year, John read To Kill a Mockingbird; he saw the play as well.
Here, as well serves to modify saw, an action performed in addition to a previously discussed action (read).

D: The analysis includes data from more than three million children younger than 15 in five states and in selected American Indian reservations as well.
Here, there is only one action -- includes -- so the usage of as well seems inappropriate.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
Schools: HBS '25 (A)
Send PM
DmitryFarber GMATGuruNY KarishmaB

Thank you all for the much needed help on this question
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts