Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 14 Jul 2014, 02:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The Anasazi settlements at Chaco Canyon were built on a

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 187 [0], given: 32

GMAT Tests User
The Anasazi settlements at Chaco Canyon were built on a [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2011, 11:06
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (low)

Question Stats:

65% (02:09) correct 34% (01:18) wrong based on 261 sessions
The Anasazi settlements at Chaco Canyon were built on a spectacular scale with more than 75 carefully engineered structures, of up to 600 rooms each, were connected by a complex regional system of roads.

A. scale with more than 75 carefully engineered structures, of up to 600 rooms each, were
B. scale with more than 75 carefully engineered structures, of up to 600 rooms each,
C. scale of more than 75 carefully engineered structures of up to 600 rooms, each that had been
D. scale of more than 75 carefully engineered structures of up to 600 rooms and with each
E. scale of more than 75 carefully engineered structures of up to 600 rooms each had been

Why "were" is not required for B as the correct answer?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

I am student of everyone-baten
Collections:-
PSof OG solved by GC members: http://gmatclub.com/forum/collection-ps-with-solution-from-gmatclub-110005.html
DS of OG solved by GC members: http://gmatclub.com/forum/collection-ds-with-solution-from-gmatclub-110004.html
100 GMAT PREP Quantitative collection http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-problem-collections-114358.html
Collections of work/rate problems with solutions http://gmatclub.com/forum/collections-of-work-rate-problem-with-solutions-118919.html
Mixture problems in a file with best solutions: http://gmatclub.com/forum/mixture-problems-with-best-and-easy-solutions-all-together-124644.html

Current Student
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 98 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: The Anasazi [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2011, 11:12
Baten80 wrote:
The Anasazi settlements at Chaco Canyon were built on a spectacular scale with more than 75 carefully engineered structures, of up to 600 rooms each, were connected by a complex regional system of roads.

A. scale with more than 75 carefully engineered structures, of up to 600 rooms each, were
B. scale with more than 75 carefully engineered structures, of up to 600 rooms each,
C. scale of more than 75 carefully engineered structures of up to 600 rooms, each that had been
D. scale of more than 75 carefully engineered structures of up to 600 rooms and with each
E. scale of more than 75 carefully engineered structures of up to 600 rooms each had been

Using 'were' in option A creates run on sentence as only a comma is used.
Manager
Manager
Status: He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

Re: The Anasazi [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2011, 09:07
I was able to rull out c,d and e. But selected A. Can anyone please suggest
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 2

Re: The Anasazi [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2011, 09:26
The question here is "what is/are connected by roads"
If "The Anasazi settlements" is the subject, which is the case..another 'were' is reqd..and if the specacular scale is connected by roads, then 'were' isn't reqd..

Fight till you succeed like a gladiator..or doom your life which can be invincible

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: The Anasazi [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2011, 10:12
B. The Anasazi were built on a spectacular scale with ... structures, of up to 600 rooms each, connected by a complex regional system of roads.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Duke '16, Darden '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 151 [0], given: 39

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: The Anasazi settlements at Chaco Canyon were built on a [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2011, 07:50
Quote:

We have main verb "were built" in the non-underlined part. the second "were" here has no subject. So, B is eliminated.

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 251

Kudos [?]: 1385 [2] , given: 245

Re: The Anasazi settlements at Chaco Canyon were built on a [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2011, 08:48
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
On this topic, interestingly, I found four different transcriptions of the original test, essentially in the portion that is underlined, in as many different forums for a question that is from GPREP. Which one should we follow?

1 Urch version

The Anasazi settlements of Chaco Canyon were built on a spectacular scare with more than 75 carefully engineered structures, of up to 600 rooms each were connected by a complex regional system of roads. (note tht there is no comma after each)

2. Beat the GMAT version

The Anasazi settlements at Chaco Canyon were built on a spectacular scale with more than 75 carefully engineered structures, of up to 600 rooms each, were connected by a complex regional system of roads. (note the comma after each)

3 Gmatclub version

4. Manhattan version

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: The Anasazi settlements at Chaco Canyon were built on a [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2012, 18:41
Guys in my book, it has the following form; notice that there is a comma after scale in the original question. And that's what confuses me. If there was no comma, the answer is easily B though.

Any comment?

The Anasazi settlements at Chaco Canyon were built on a spectacular scale, with more than 75 carefully engineered structures, of up to 600 rooms each, were connected by a complex regional system of roads.

A. scale,with more than 75 carefully engineered structures, of up to 600 rooms each, were
B. scale, with more than 75 carefully engineered structures, of up to 600 rooms each,
E. scale of more than 75 carefully engineered structures of up to 600 rooms, each had been
VP
VP
Followers: 189

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: The Anasazi settlements at Chaco Canyon were built on a [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2014, 12:11
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 461

Kudos [?]: 1794 [1] , given: 29

Re: The Anasazi settlements at Chaco Canyon were built on a [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2014, 14:14
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Baten80 wrote:

honchos wrote:
Sir,
In this sentence I still couldn't grasp why 2nd were is wrong? Please Help!
Thanks!

Dear honchos
I'm happy to respond to your p.m. :-)

If we include the second "were", then "were connected" would be a full verb, a complete past tense verb. There's already one verb, "were built," so this would be a second full verb. Presumably, the two verbs would have the same subject, so they would have to be in parallel. That's fine, but to have two verbs in parallel, we would absolutely need a conjunction, such as "and."
...scale with more than 75 carefully engineered structures, of up to 600 rooms each, and were ...
That would be correct. Without the "and", the parallelism doesn't work.

If we remove the second "were," then the full verb "were connected" becomes simply the participle "connected," a noun modifier that can follow a string of other modifiers.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: The Anasazi settlements at Chaco Canyon were built on a [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2014, 01:45
I assume that the modifier is modyfying the noun 'structures' ?
Re: The Anasazi settlements at Chaco Canyon were built on a   [#permalink] 24 Jun 2014, 01:45