Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 00:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The ancient Anasazi harvested such native desert vegetation

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 04 May 2006
Posts: 1941
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 320 [1] , given: 1

Premium Member
The ancient Anasazi harvested such native desert vegetation [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2009, 02:28
1
This post received
KUDOS
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

60% (01:48) correct 40% (00:33) wrong based on 40 sessions
The ancient Anasazi harvested such native desert vegetation as the purple-flowered bee plant, what they now commonly call wild spinach in northern Arizona and other parts of the southwestern United States.

A. what they now commonly call
B. a plant that they now commonly call
C. now commonly called
D. and is mow commonly called
E. which it is now commonly called

Guys, the usage of participle in this sentence makes me confused. For me, the participle "now commonly called" modifies "Anasazi" rather than "plant".

what do you think?
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

6 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 21 Jul 2006
Posts: 1551
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 230 [6] , given: 1

Re: Anasazi [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2009, 06:07
6
This post received
KUDOS
sondenso wrote:
The ancient Anasazi harvested such native desert vegetation as the purple-flowered bee plant, what they now commonly call wild spinach in northern Arizona and other parts of the southwestern United States.

A. what they now commonly call
B. a plant that they now commonly call
C. now commonly called
D. and is mow commonly called
E. which it is now commonly called

Guys, the usage of participle in this sentence makes me confused. For me, the participle "now commonly called" modifies "Anasazi" rather than "plant".

what do you think?



Why are you saying that the participle seems to modify "Anasazi"? because of the comma? first of all, commas have different usage. In this case, the comma is used to differentiate essential from a non-essential clause. The main purpose of this sentence is to say only that "The ancient Anasazi harvested such native desert vegetation as the purple-flowered bee plant." That's the main point of the sentence.

Also, I disagree that "they" can not refer to "Anasazi." Of course it can. Treat "The Anasazi" the same way you would treat "The French are....", etc. However, the reason I still think that referring to "Anasazi" is wrong is that the sentence says, "they NOW commonly call." How can "Anasazi" now call something when this race used to exist in the ancient time? So that eliminates answer choices A and B.

Option D suggests that "The Anasazi" is now commonly called "wild spinach." So that's illogical

Option E, "which" already refers to "purple-flowered bee plant", so there's no point to add another pronoun "it" since "which" is already a pronoun (or a relative pronoun to be exact) referring to the plant.

So answer C remains as our answer choice.

Last edited by tarek99 on 26 Aug 2009, 02:08, edited 1 time in total.
4 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 26 Jul 2010
Posts: 209
Followers: 103

Kudos [?]: 229 [4] , given: 20

Re: Anasazi [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2010, 10:26
4
This post received
KUDOS
Great question here...I've always enjoyed teaching this one.

For those who liked E, keep in mind that "which" is a modifier that takes the place of "plant" - essentially "which" is used as a pronoun, so the word "it" is redundant...we're just piling on at that point. You wouldn't say "For Christmas I got a new bike, which it is red". You'd just say "I got a new bike, which is red..."


For A and B, I think it's important to note that "they" does properly replace "Anasazi" as a pronoun...there's nothing wrong with the pronoun itself. What IS wrong here is the logic. We're talking about the ANCIENT Anasazi...so it's illogical that they would "NOW" commonly call a plant something different. Ancient means that there isn't anything they're doing "now". A and B don't really have a pronoun error, but they're both guilty of a vicious logical error.

C is correct - it properly modifies "plant" with "now commonly called", and therefore is correct.

D, just for completeness' sake, illogically makes it sounds like "Anasazi" is now commonly called "Wild spinach" - the word "and" links the two verbs "harvested" and "is", binding them both to the same subject, Anasazi.
_________________

Brian

Save $100 on live Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 03 Jun 2009
Posts: 805
Location: New Delhi
WE 1: 5.5 yrs in IT
Followers: 64

Kudos [?]: 412 [2] , given: 56

Re: Anasazi [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2009, 04:04
2
This post received
KUDOS
sondenso wrote:
The ancient Anasazi harvested such native desert vegetation as the purple-flowered bee plant, what they now commonly call wild spinach in northern Arizona and other parts of the southwestern United States.


Here we should use passive voice, as the subject "they" is not someone specific or know. So A and B is out. D and E is also out since they are wordy and in E "which it is" sounds awkward.

C is correct. "now commonly called" is immediately placed after bee plant. Its modifying "bee plant" rather than "ancient Anasazi".
_________________

ISB 2011-12 thread | Ask ISB Alumni @ ThinkISB
All information related to Indian candidates and B-schools | Indian B-schools accepting GMAT scores
Self evaluation for Why MBA?

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 01 Aug 2008
Posts: 770
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 115 [1] , given: 99

Re: Anasazi [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2009, 04:53
1
This post received
KUDOS
sondenso wrote:
The ancient Anasazi harvested such native desert vegetation as the purple-flowered bee plant, what they now commonly call wild spinach in northern Arizona and other parts of the southwestern United States.

A. what they now commonly call
B. a plant that they now commonly call
C. now commonly called
D. and is mow commonly called
E. which it is now commonly called

Guys, the usage of participle in this sentence makes me confused. For me, the participle "now commonly called" modifies "Anasazi" rather than "plant".

what do you think?


A, and B are out for using 'they'

D -- is out for using 'and' .. you are not listing things so 'and' is wrong here.

E -- wrong for using 'which it' ..

so I arrived to C by POE.

IMO C.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: what we want to do, do it as soon as possible
Joined: 24 May 2010
Posts: 115
Location: Vietnam
WE 1: 5.0
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 36 [1] , given: 315

Re: Anasazi [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2010, 09:34
1
This post received
KUDOS
mendelay wrote:
I chose E because I thought the word which should come after the comma. Can someone please clarify when the word which should be used?

i got E too but what we made mistake is that choice E use "which it" rather than "which". this is a very eyecatching error.
_________________

Consider giving me kudos if you find my explanations helpful so i can learn how to express ideas to people more understandable.

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Status: Bring the Rain
Joined: 17 Aug 2010
Posts: 408
Location: United States (MD)
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.13
WE: Corporate Finance (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 43 [1] , given: 46

Re: Anasazi [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2010, 11:07
1
This post received
KUDOS
VeritasPrepBrian wrote:
Great question here...I've always enjoyed teaching this one.

For those who liked E, keep in mind that "which" is a modifier that takes the place of "plant" - essentially "which" is used as a pronoun, so the word "it" is redundant...we're just piling on at that point. You wouldn't say "For Christmas I got a new bike, which it is red". You'd just say "I got a new bike, which is red..."


For A and B, I think it's important to note that "they" does properly replace "Anasazi" as a pronoun...there's nothing wrong with the pronoun itself. What IS wrong here is the logic. We're talking about the ANCIENT Anasazi...so it's illogical that they would "NOW" commonly call a plant something different. Ancient means that there isn't anything they're doing "now". A and B don't really have a pronoun error, but they're both guilty of a vicious logical error.

C is correct - it properly modifies "plant" with "now commonly called", and therefore is correct.

D, just for completeness' sake, illogically makes it sounds like "Anasazi" is now commonly called "Wild spinach" - the word "and" links the two verbs "harvested" and "is", binding them both to the same subject, Anasazi.


Thanks for this explanation.

I got C as well using POE. Nothing else really made sense
_________________

Go Blue!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 04 May 2006
Posts: 1941
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 320 [0], given: 1

Premium Member
Re: Anasazi [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2009, 06:37
tarek99 wrote:
Why are you saying that the participle seems to modify "Anasazi"? because of the comma? first of all, commas have different usage. In this case, the comma is used to different essential from a non-essential clause. The main purpose of this sentence is to say only that


Many thanks tarek99,

yeah, the comma is for me a problem. As the rule I noticed in some Og, If there is no comma btw, the participle modifies correctly "bee plant"
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 21 Jul 2006
Posts: 1551
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 230 [0], given: 1

Re: Anasazi [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2009, 06:51
sondenso wrote:
tarek99 wrote:
Why are you saying that the participle seems to modify "Anasazi"? because of the comma? first of all, commas have different usage. In this case, the comma is used to different essential from a non-essential clause. The main purpose of this sentence is to say only that


Many thanks tarek99,

yeah, the comma is for me a problem. As the rule I noticed in some Og, If there is no comma btw, the participle modifies correctly "bee plant"


you are correct as long as that sentence still acts as an essential setence. However, if the sentence after the comman acts as only a non-essential clause, then it merely provides an extra information about the last noun before the comma.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 21 Jul 2009
Posts: 266
Location: New York, NY
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 23

Re: Anasazi [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2009, 06:40
I chose E because I thought the word which should come after the comma. Can someone please clarify when the word which should be used?
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 16 Jul 2009
Posts: 1634
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 275 [0], given: 2

Re: Anasazi [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2010, 08:40
Im still thinking that now commonly called refers to the Anasazi. How can it refer to the precedent noun? the second clause seems to modify the entire first clause.
Please clarify.
_________________

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit


Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 17 Feb 2010
Posts: 1560
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 223 [0], given: 6

Re: Anasazi [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2010, 17:29
Except C none of the other options make sense.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 03 Dec 2012
Posts: 367
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 291

Re: The ancient Anasazi harvested such native desert vegetation [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2013, 01:33
The word 'ancient' here is the key. because of the word ancient we can't use 'they' because they (the ancient guys) aren't obviously alive now.
Re: The ancient Anasazi harvested such native desert vegetation   [#permalink] 18 Nov 2013, 01:33
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Q30: The ancient Anasazi harvested such native desert Bibli 3 30 Dec 2011, 17:56
The ancient Anasazi harvested such native desert vegetation karanrajmishra 3 08 Sep 2010, 14:47
The ancient Anasazi harvested such native desert vegetation spriya 10 21 Oct 2008, 06:21
The ancient Anasazi harvested such native desert vegetation bhaarat 2 25 May 2007, 20:20
The ancient Anasazi harvested such native desert vegetation positive soul 8 17 Sep 2006, 15:37
Display posts from previous: Sort by

The ancient Anasazi harvested such native desert vegetation

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.