Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Sep 2014, 18:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The ancient city of Cephesa was not buried by an eruption of

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
The ancient city of Cephesa was not buried by an eruption of [#permalink] New post 02 May 2005, 01:00
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
The ancient city of Cephesa was not buried by an eruption of Mt. Amnos in A.D. 310, as some believe. The eruption in the year 310 damaged the city, but it did not destroy it. Cephesa survived for another century before it finally met its destruction in another eruption around A.D. 415.
Which of the following, if true, would most strengthen the author’s claim that the city of Cephesa was not buried by the eruption of Mt. Amnos in A.D. 310?
(A) The city of Cephesa is mentioned in a historical work known to have been written in A.D. 400.
(B) Coins bearing the image of an emperor who lived around A.D. 410 have been discovered in the ruins of Cephesa, which were preserved by the cinders and ashes that buried the city.
(C) Geological evidence shows that the eruption of Mt. Amnos in A.D. 415 deposited a 10-foot-thick layer of lava on the city of Cephesa.
(D) Artworks from the city of Cephesa have been found in the ruins of another city known to have been destroyed in A.D. 420.
(E) A historical work written in A.D. 430 refers to the eruption of Mt. Amnos in A.D. 415.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Cephesa City [#permalink] New post 02 May 2005, 02:30
I found flaws in all the statements. Can someone help before the OA is posted?

A. The historical work can mention an "ancient city" called Cephesa. This does not guarantee unless we know that historical work was mentioned as a "current" city.
B. Firstly its not mentioned that the emperor was the emperor of Cephesa. Furthermore, "old" emperors can be found on coins, eg American coins :)
C. You can have 2 eruptions at the same place. Does not guarantee the place wasn't destroyed the first time.
D. Since the artwork is undated, it could be "historic" artwork (prior to 310 AD) that was traded and collected in the other city.
E. This just guarantees the eruption of 420. Not that the city wasn't destroyed. This could strengthen the notions in C. But that doesn't prove the point still.

If I just had to mark it, I would probably go with A, assuming "is mentioned" as a "current" mention.

Any help?

Who says elephants can't dance?

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 May 2005, 02:58
I'll pick B.
It says coins bearing the image of the emperor who lived in A.D. 410 have been found.

Thus, the city would have been buried during or after the emperor's rule. Since the emperor lived in A.D.410, the city would have been buried after A.D.410

kapslock, old emperor's image can be found on coins but only when the emperor has ruled, not before that. Also it's irrelevant to know if the king ruled Cephesa or not. It might be that a traveller had taken it there, never the less the coin's presence in the ruins confirms that the city was not destroyed before that Emperor's rule.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 May 2005, 15:55
sonaketu wrote:
I'll pick B.
It says coins bearing the image of the emperor who lived in A.D. 410 have been found.

Thus, the city would have been buried during or after the emperor's rule. Since the emperor lived in A.D.410, the city would have been buried after A.D.410

kapslock, old emperor's image can be found on coins but only when the emperor has ruled, not before that. Also it's irrelevant to know if the king ruled Cephesa or not. It might be that a traveller had taken it there, never the less the coin's presence in the ruins confirms that the city was not destroyed before that Emperor's rule.

Sonaketu,

I see what you're talking about. Damn, I always proceed without reading the question fully. Reading it again, I saw that I missed reading "who lived around A.D. 410".

Thanks for correcting me !!!

Who says elephants can't dance?

Current Student
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 133 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 03 May 2005, 07:19
B is it. Nice observation Sonaketsu!
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 04 May 2005, 21:16
B it is. Agree with Sonaketu. It is too straight forward.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Cephesa City [#permalink] New post 05 May 2005, 16:52
wunderbar03 wrote:
The ancient city of Cephesa was not buried by an eruption of Mt. Amnos in A.D. 310, as some believe. The eruption in the year 310 damaged the city, but it did not destroy it. Cephesa survived for another century before it finally met its destruction in another eruption around A.D. 415.
Which of the following, if true, would most strengthen the author’s claim that the city of Cephesa was not buried by the eruption of Mt. Amnos in A.D. 310?
(A) The city of Cephesa is mentioned in a historical work known to have been written in A.D. 400.
(B) Coins bearing the image of an emperor who lived around A.D. 410 have been discovered in the ruins of Cephesa, which were preserved by the cinders and ashes that buried the city.
(C) Geological evidence shows that the eruption of Mt. Amnos in A.D. 415 deposited a 10-foot-thick layer of lava on the city of Cephesa.
(D) Artworks from the city of Cephesa have been found in the ruins of another city known to have been destroyed in A.D. 420.
(E) A historical work written in A.D. 430 refers to the eruption of Mt. Amnos in A.D. 415.

Question Type: Strengthen.
Conclusion: Cephesa wasnt destroyed by Mt.Amos in 310.

My AC is B. My explanation.....

A: Doesnt strengthen conclusion. It could have been destroyed and yet be mentioned in historical work.
B: Emperor 410 ---> He lived past 310. Also cinders buried coins so this proves coins didnt come from somewhere else.
C: Does strengthen. So what....
D: Same as A.
E: Yeah So what...AC doesnt strengthen conclusion.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 May 2005, 17:01
sonaketu wrote:
I'll pick B.

To add to Sonaketu's point: In AC B, the clause "which were preserved by the cinders and ashes that buried the city" is important as it adds values to the AC. It basically seals the door for the argument that the coin got there after the city burned down.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 06 May 2005, 02:50
OA is B

Regards,
Wunderbar03

[#permalink] 06 May 2005, 02:50