Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Aug 2014, 20:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The anthropologist Marija Gimbutas believed that preliterate

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 16 May 2013
Posts: 3
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 2

The anthropologist Marija Gimbutas believed that preliterate [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2013, 12:38
1
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  15% (low)

Question Stats:

79% (01:47) correct 21% (00:52) wrong based on 149 sessions
The anthropologist Marija Gimbutas believed that preliterate European tribes were not patriarchal like later societies and were matriarchal groups centered around worship of the Great Mother goddess.

A The anthropologist Marija Gimbutas believed that preliterate European tribes were not patriarchal like later societies and were
B The anthropologist Marija Gimbutas believed preliterate European tribes not to be patriarchal like later societies but
C The anthropologist Marija Gimbutas believed that preliterate European tribes were not patriarchal like later societies but were
D It was believed by the anthropologist Marija Gimbutas that preliterate European tribes were not patriarchal like later societies but
E Preliterate European tribes were believed by the anthropologist Marija Gimbutas not to be patriarchal like later societies and were

OA
[Reveal] Spoiler:
C

Why not
[Reveal] Spoiler:
D
?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Narenn on 18 Sep 2013, 22:26, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Renamed - Please use the first sentence of the question to name the topic
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 10 Apr 2013
Posts: 124
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 17 [1] , given: 17

Re: Marija Gimbutas [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2013, 21:36
1
This post received
KUDOS
Hi grandmaster,

Option D is wrong because the clause starting with "but matriarchal groups ..." is a fragment and lacks a verb.



Regards

Argha
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 16 May 2013
Posts: 3
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Re: Marija Gimbutas [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2013, 17:02
@argha

I understand your point, but the reason I chose D was

not patriarchal, but matriarchal ... (parallelism)

rings a bell to me somehow..

even the idiom is not X, but Y

am i misunderstanding the concept?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 Jul 2012
Posts: 9
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 10

Re: Marija Gimbutas [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2013, 18:18
Also, what is the problem with B.

All B,C and D looks grammatically correct to me, how to choose the best among them. Please explain.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 23 Aug 2013
Posts: 69
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 5

Re: Marija Gimbutas [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2013, 22:05
1
This post received
KUDOS
dixjatin wrote:
Also, what is the problem with B.

All B,C and D looks grammatically correct to me, how to choose the best among them. Please explain.


Let me try:

The anthropologist Marija Gimbutas believed that preliterate European tribes were not patriarchal like later societies and were matriarchal groups centered around worship of the Great Mother goddess.

A The anthropologist Marija Gimbutas believed that preliterate European tribes were not patriarchal like later societies and were Since a contrast is made, between earlier belief and later fact we need a "but".
B The anthropologist Marija Gimbutas believed preliterate European tribes not to be patriarchal like later societies but. We need a verb "were" after the but, it is missing. llel ism is affected and so is the meaning.
C The anthropologist Marija Gimbutas believed that preliterate European tribes were not patriarchal like later societies but were Correct. "were" is present, so is "but"
D It was believed by the anthropologist Marija Gimbutas that preliterate European tribes were not patriarchal like later societies but Again "were" is missing and also passive construction which is not favoured by gmat.
E Preliterate European tribes were believed by the anthropologist Marija Gimbutas not to be patriarchal like later societies and were "but" is missing and "preliterate European tribes were believed" kind of changes the meaning, what did he believe? The European tribes or that they were patriarchal? Also passive construction.
_________________

Kudos would be appreciated -:) !

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Joined: 21 Feb 2012
Posts: 1075
Location: India
City: Pune
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
Followers: 126

Kudos [?]: 780 [2] , given: 806

Re: The anthropologist Marija Gimbutas believed that preliterate [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2013, 23:41
2
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Answer C

The anthropologist Marija Gimbutas believed that preliterate European tribes were not patriarchal like later societies and were matriarchal groups centered around worship of the Great Mother goddess.

A The anthropologist Marija Gimbutas believed that preliterate European tribes were not patriarchal like later societies and were
B The anthropologist Marija Gimbutas believed preliterate European tribes not to be patriarchal like later societies but
C The anthropologist Marija Gimbutas believed that preliterate European tribes were not patriarchal like later societies but were
D It was believed by the anthropologist Marija Gimbutas that preliterate European tribes were not patriarchal like later societies but
E Preliterate European tribes were believed by the anthropologist Marija Gimbutas not to be patriarchal like later societies and were

Analysis of Answer choices

A) INCORRECT :- To highlight intended contrast, the structure should be Not x.......but y. Also to have the comparison between grammatically equal elements, verb needs to be repeated. Hence the correct structure is A believed that B was not C........but was D. This choice has the structure A believed that B was not C........and was D, which does not show the contrast.

B) INCORRECT :- Parallelism issue. A believed B not to be C....... but D. To maintain the parallelism we would need A believed B not to be C....... but to be D

C) CORRECT :- Correct Structure A believed that B was not C........but was D ensures that phrases are parallel.

D) INCORRECT :- If you have clear subject in the sentence (Anthropologist Marija Gimbutas - in this case), then you should not go with passive structure. In addition to this issue, this choice is also incorrect for omitting the verb were after but.

E) INCORRECT :- This choice commits all the mistakes mentioned in Choice A, B, and D.

Hope that helps!
_________________

Be the coolest guy in the MBA Forum - Be a threadmaster!

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Next Generation GMATClub CATS with Brilliant Analytics.

Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books


Director
Director
User avatar
Status: Enjoying the GMAT journey....
Joined: 26 Aug 2011
Posts: 735
Location: India
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 269 [0], given: 264

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: The anthropologist Marija Gimbutas believed that preliterate [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2013, 00:16
argha wrote:
Hi grandmaster,

Option D is wrong because the clause starting with "but matriarchal groups ..." is a fragment and lacks a verb.



Regards

Argha


IMO, Option D is wrong only because its unnecessary passive and wordy. As far as verb or lack of it is concerned, the sentence is correct.
for example The gold mines lesser known were found not in India but in Africa. The underlined "were" is understood to be there for both with the idion not X but Y.
_________________

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.

A WAY TO INCREASE FROM QUANT 35-40 TO 47 : a-way-to-increase-from-q35-40-to-q-138750.html

Q 47/48 To Q 50 + the-final-climb-quest-for-q-50-from-q47-129441.html#p1064367

Three good RC strategies three-different-strategies-for-attacking-rc-127287.html

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 05 Jun 2013
Posts: 8
Location: United States
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
WE: Supply Chain Management (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: The anthropologist Marija Gimbutas believed that preliterate [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2013, 03:44
rajeevrks27 wrote:
argha wrote:
Hi grandmaster,

Option D is wrong because the clause starting with "but matriarchal groups ..." is a fragment and lacks a verb.



Regards

Argha


IMO, Option D is wrong only because its unnecessary passive and wordy. As far as verb or lack of it is concerned, the sentence is correct.
for example The gold mines lesser known were found not in India but in Africa. The underlined "were" is understood to be there for both with the idion not X but Y.



In the example you gave, the word 'in' replaces 'were'. Not 'in' Africa but 'in' Africa, and hence 'were' is understood to be for both.

However, in the original question, this is not then case. The word 'were' is required to compare patriarchal and matriarchal.

Hope this helps.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 10 Apr 2013
Posts: 124
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 17

Re: The anthropologist Marija Gimbutas believed that preliterate [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2013, 11:19
Hi All,

I stand to correct my earlier posts on this.

As grandmaster correctly puts it, there seems to be no major error in option D.

Use of "were matriarchal" is not correct as "Not X but Y" requires X & Y to be parallel and in option D, it is maintaining that perfectly.

...were not patriarchal like later societies but matriarchal groups....

As pointed out by some, the use of passive seems to be the only error.

Experts please help.



Regards

Argha
Expert Post
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Joined: 21 Feb 2012
Posts: 1075
Location: India
City: Pune
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
Followers: 126

Kudos [?]: 780 [0], given: 806

Re: The anthropologist Marija Gimbutas believed that preliterate [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2013, 12:34
Expert's post
rajeevrks27 wrote:
argha wrote:
Hi grandmaster,

Option D is wrong because the clause starting with "but matriarchal groups ..." is a fragment and lacks a verb.

Regards

Argha


IMO, Option D is wrong only because its unnecessary passive and wordy. As far as verb or lack of it is concerned, the sentence is correct.
for example The gold mines lesser known were found not in India but in Africa. The underlined "were" is understood to be there for both with the idion not X but Y.


Hi Rajeev,

Agree to your point. As long as clarity in meaning is not compromised, second verb can be omitted. As I also mentioned in my post, 'Use of Passive Structure' is the basic reason for the elimination of Choice D.
_________________

Be the coolest guy in the MBA Forum - Be a threadmaster!

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Next Generation GMATClub CATS with Brilliant Analytics.

Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books


Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 19 May 2012
Posts: 36
Location: India
Concentration: International Business, Healthcare
GMAT Date: 03-03-2014
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: The anthropologist Marija Gimbutas believed that preliterate [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2013, 18:35
D,E eliminated due to the usage of passive voice...
C because of the contrast represented correctly....
_________________

Thanks
crazy4priya
GMATPrep 1 710/Q49/V38
GMATPrep 2 690/Q49/V34
Veritas Prep 700/Q50/V36/IR5
MGMT Test 1 700/Q51/V35/IR3

Re: The anthropologist Marija Gimbutas believed that preliterate   [#permalink] 08 Oct 2013, 18:35
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Some anthropologists believe that the genetic homogeneity SidKaria 0 16 Jul 2014, 01:12
36 Experts publish their posts in the topic Some anthropologists believe that the genetic homogeneity macjas 31 22 Jun 2012, 01:28
The investigations of many psychologist and anthropologists marcodonzelli 4 11 Feb 2008, 22:04
The investigations of many psychologists and anthropologists tarek99 3 08 Dec 2007, 03:17
The investigations of many psychologists and anthropologists sjmike 8 23 Oct 2007, 04:05
Display posts from previous: Sort by

The anthropologist Marija Gimbutas believed that preliterate

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.