Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 01:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The application Process

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

The application Process [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2013, 12:38
Hi guys,
My query is regarding the application process. I know the moment I post this i wii be directed to a detailed post that might say it all regarding the application process .But still i am doing it because i have some specific queries to which specific answers will be much appreciated.
1) What happens on test day ? Before the test we are asked to select 5 schools. Why ? To send our scores is the official answer i know, but i don't understand what this “send the official score” mean ? How is it different from me sending my score to them (5 schools) myself , through mail ?
2) Once i click the report score tab what happens ? Does my score go to the 5 designated schools immediately ?
3) After the test , once i get my official report card what do i do next ? This is after i have got a decent 700+ score on my test. Do i immediately start writing the essays (assume that i have a good 15-30 days between my test day and deadline day for application ) ?
4) Now this is a naive yet important question. Once the school gets my score, will the school contact me or will i submit my essay to the school and wait for getting shortlisted for the interview ? If it is the latter then do i pay the application fee then or after i get shortlisted for the interview ?
5) I have additional professional qualifications which i believe will be favorable in my application process. How do i convey that to the schools ?
6) A bit of a side-track question , is the cost of retaking the exam $250

Guys as you would have imagined by now i am an amateur with respect to GMAT. So kindly be patient with me and help me out on the above-mentioned queries. Prompt reply would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Sanchay
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 582 [1] , given: 197

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The application Process [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2013, 13:07
This post received
KUDOS
sanchayM wrote:
Hi guys,
My query is regarding the application process. I know the moment I post this i wii be directed to a detailed post that might say it all regarding the application process .But still i am doing it because i have some specific queries to which specific answers will be much appreciated.
1) What happens on test day ? Before the test we are asked to select 5 schools. Why ? To send our scores is the official answer i know, but i don't understand what this “send the official score” mean ? How is it different from me sending my score to them (5 schools) myself , through mail ?
2) Once i click the report score tab what happens ? Does my score go to the 5 designated schools immediately ?
3) After the test , once i get my official report card what do i do next ? This is after i have got a decent 700+ score on my test. Do i immediately start writing the essays (assume that i have a good 15-30 days between my test day and deadline day for application ) ?
4) Now this is a naive yet important question. Once the school gets my score, will the school contact me or will i submit my essay to the school and wait for getting shortlisted for the interview ? If it is the latter then do i pay the application fee then or after i get shortlisted for the interview ?
5) I have additional professional qualifications which i believe will be favorable in my application process. How do i convey that to the schools ?

Guys as you would have imagined by now i am an amateur with respect to GMAT. So kindly be patient with me and help me out on the above-mentioned queries. Prompt reply would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Sanchay

hi sanchay ,

let me answer few of your questions which i am aware of:

when you register for exam you pay 250$ for this now this money also includes the cost of delivering your scores to any 5 schools of your wish
you cant send your scores through your personal emails to schools.The official score must be sent through PEARSONS.
Now if you want to send your scores to more than 5 schools then you have to pay additional fees (i think its 50$ per school),which you have to do later after your exam is done.

once you click the score report TAB ,a screen will come displaying your score with quant and verbal break up( as you will see when you will give GMAT PREP TEST)
an unofficial score report with all your personal description such as appoint number ,date of exam..etc will be given as print out for your reference.
NO its not like that as soon as you click the score is sent...it takes few days and that is notified to you by email .

yes offcourse...you should start ASAP.it takes time....i think its more critical than preparing GMAT ( :-D )

SCHOOLS are not going to contact you...
you have to submit application and you are going to pay before and not after.

there are different types of essay question in which you are always welcome to put up your unique features.

yes.

hope i have made your doubt clear.

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...

GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

Intern
Intern

Re: The application Process [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2013, 22:09
Yes it does help. Thank you so much.
But here is another thing which i desperately need your help on.

I took my GMAT and my score was 650 (V-38, Q-42). I desperatley need you help. I cannot even think about applying to the 5 schools of my choice (ISB, INSEAD,LBS,Kellogs,Hong Kong Business School) with that because my quant percentile was horrible (53). Verbal was decent though (84). So please help me to improve my quant. What do i do ? I have gone through the MGMAT guides and its all fine. And i also know where the problem is i.e applying the concepts during the exam. I know you will say to practice more. But where do i get the questions ? There is no point wasting my energy practising sums which deviate largely from actual GMAT. So direct me to a good collection of questions please. MGMAT CAT questions are a huge demotivating factor. But i know that math concepts are the same everywhere. So as you see i am running in circles here. Help me come out of this please.

Also, does it make sense to apply with this score ? I know my quant percentile is a huge disadvantage. So i am 80% inclined to retake the test (which is after 31 days i presume). If i score a 750 (please dont laugh....I know its a 100 point jump but i am confident i can get it.) what score will the schools take in ? The higher one or the latest one (scary version) the average ?
Please help me. I am getting deperate and restless here.
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 679 [0], given: 116

Premium Member
Re: The application Process [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2013, 22:35
Your highest score will be considered.... If you get 750, then you will be applying with a 750....

I do not think that it is a good idea to apply with your current score... Especially since you've taken the test only once.. We don't want the schools thinking thatt you are happy with the score and are not willing to try again...

All the best on the retake... :)

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

Intern
Intern

Re: The application Process [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2013, 22:43
MacFauz wrote:
Your highest score will be considered.... If you get 750, then you will be applying with a 750....

I do not think that it is a good idea to apply with your current score... Especially since you've taken the test only once.. We don't want the schools thinking thatt you are happy with the score and are not willing to try again...

All the best on the retake... :)

Thanks for the reply MacFauz. But what about my other queries ? Any help regarding those ?
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 679 [0], given: 116

Premium Member
Re: The application Process [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2013, 22:57
In case you haven't already gone through this, the below link will provide you some useful resources...

all-gmat-cat-practice-tests-links-prices-reviews-77460.html?fl=menu

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 582 [0], given: 197

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The application Process [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2013, 02:12
for improving your quant...yes you need a lot of practice....and i am not laughing for your 750 dreamscore....every aspirants dreams that score and even i dream for that...wish you can get your score.

one of the way to build your quant confidence is to follow BUNUEL.
Follow bunuel explanations and questions and i am sure you are going to gain.

moreover MCFAUZ has already given a good suggetion above.\

good luck :)

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...

GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Leadership
Schools: HBS '16
GMAT Date: 11-30-2013
GPA: 3.3
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 246

CAT Tests
Re: The application Process [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2013, 12:21
blueseas wrote:
for improving your quant...yes you need a lot of practice....and i am not laughing for your 750 dreamscore....every aspirants dreams that score and even i dream for that...wish you can get your score.

Are you admitted to ISB?

Like my post Send me a Kudos :) It is a Good manner.

Intern
Intern

Re: The application Process [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2013, 21:34
honchos wrote:
blueseas wrote:

Are you admitted to ISB?

Nope, how can i even think of it with this score ? I am going to retake the test.

Hey guys i have one more question, I am a Chartered Accountant (CA) and also Cost Accountant (CMA).I have an All India Rank in the latter. Now I believe these two can be very advantageous for me. But I am a bit lost here as to how do I draw the attention of the schools to this fact? I mean is there any Resume that I have to submit or do I have to tactfully incorporate this in the essays?
And one more thing, I am thinking about going for the $79 magoosh quant class. Is it any good ? A prompt response to this will be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Director
Director
Status: My Thread Master Bschool Threads-->Krannert(Purdue),WP Carey(Arizona),Foster(Uwashngton)
Followers: 59

Kudos [?]: 151 [0], given: 57

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: The application Process [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2013, 06:42
sanchayM wrote:
honchos wrote:
blueseas wrote:

Are you admitted to ISB?

Nope, how can i even think of it with this score ? I am going to retake the test.

Hey guys i have one more question, I am a Chartered Accountant (CA) and also Cost Accountant (CMA).I have an All India Rank in the latter. Now I believe these two can be very advantageous for me. But I am a bit lost here as to how do I draw the attention of the schools to this fact? I mean is there any Resume that I have to submit or do I have to tactfully incorporate this in the essays?
And one more thing, I am thinking about going for the $79 magoosh quant class. Is it any good ? A prompt response to this will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

You may want to check this..

http://gmatclub.com/reviews/magoosh/mag ... -345345604

General GMAT useful links-->

Indian Bschools Accepting Gmat | My Gmat Daily Diary | All Gmat Practice CAT's | MBA Ranking 2013 | How to Convert Indian GPA/ Percentage to US 4 pt. GPA scale | GMAT MATH BOOK in downloadable PDF format| POWERSCORE CRITICAL REASONING BIBLE - FULL CHAPTER NOTES | Result correlation between GMAT and GMAT Club's Tests | Best GMAT Stories - Period!

More useful links-->

GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios| GMAT and MBA 101|Everything You Need to Prepare for the GMAT|New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>|GMAT ToolKit: iPhone/iPod/iPad/Android application|

Verbal Treasure Hunt-->

"Ultimate" Study Plan for Verbal on the GMAT|Books to Read (Improve Verbal Score and Enjoy a Good Read)|Best Verbal GMAT Books 2012|Carcass Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section|Ultimate GMAT Grammar Book from GC club [Free Download]|Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia|Souvik's The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official-SC|ALL SC Rules+Official Qs by Experts & Legendary Club Members|Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik|Critical Reasoning Shortcuts and Tips|Critical Reasoning Megathread!|The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official- CR|GMAT Club's Reading Comprehension Strategy Guide|The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official- RC|Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia|ALL RC Strategy+Official Q by Experts&Legendary Club Members

----
---
--
-

1 KUDOS = 1 THANK

Kick Ass Gmat

Re: The application Process   [#permalink] 30 Sep 2013, 06:42