Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Jul 2014, 00:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The architect proposed that supplies for the new wing of the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 38

GMAT Tests User
The architect proposed that supplies for the new wing of the [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2012, 22:57
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

73% (01:43) correct 27% (01:10) wrong based on 11 sessions
The architect proposed that supplies for the new wing of the hospital, which hospital administrators hoped to open by the end of the year, will be procured from local providers.
(A) that supplies for the new wing of the hospital, which hospital administrators hoped to open by the end of the year, will be
(B) that supplies for the hospital's new wing, which hospital administrators hope to be opened by the end of the year, be
(C) that the hospital's new wing's supplies, which hospital administrators hope to be opened by year's end, might be
(D) that supplies for the new wing of the hospital, which hospital administrators hope to be open by the end of the year, were
(E) that supplies for the hospital's new wing, which hospital administrators hope to open by the end of the year, be

Confused between B and E...please explain. the hospital administrators hope 'to do the action'/'that action be done' by ...
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
MGMAT 6 650 (51,31) on 31/8/11
MGMAT 1 670 (48,33) on 04/9/11
MGMAT 2 670 (47,34) on 07/9/11
MGMAT 3 680 (47,35) on 18/9/11
GMAT Prep1 680 ( 50, 31) on 10/11/11

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
CR notes
http://gmatclub.com/forum/massive-collection-of-verbal-questions-sc-rc-and-cr-106195.html#p832142
http://gmatclub.com/forum/1001-ds-questions-file-106193.html#p832133
http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-critical-reasoning-collection-106783.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html?hilit=chineseburned

Manager
Manager
Status: SLOGGING : My son says,This time Papa u will have to make it : Innocence is BLISS
WE: Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 27

Re: modifier - passive [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2012, 23:20
The subjunctive mood is used in the following cases : 1) express a wish; 2) begin with if and express a condition that does not exist (is contrary to fact); 3) begin with that and express a demand, requirement, request, or suggestion : Ref = http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/verbs.htm

back to question ; So the Stem follows the no 3 point above :

In Subjunctive cases : V -T- S- B is the structure of the sentence

V : Bossy Verb ( Demand / request etc )
T : That
S : Subject
B : Base form of verb

Scanning all the options : Only B n E fits the equation VTSB

(B) that supplies for the hospital's new wing, which hospital administrators hope to be opened by the end of the year, be

reduces to : The Architect PROPOSED THAT SUPPLIES BE.........................

(E) that supplies for the hospital's new wing, which hospital administrators hope to open by the end of the year, be

Reduces to : The Architect PROPOSED THAT SUPPLIES BE..................

Now bxn B & E :

B : .............................Administarators HOPED TO BE OPENED.......................

E : .............................Administrators HOPE TO OPEN....................................

which one would u zone in on ? = Guess E ( Hope to open OUTWEIGHS Hoped to be opened )

Leading to E , my take

C : Whch wrongly modifies SUPPLIES = Elimination zone

Last edited by crashVcrush on 31 Aug 2012, 15:12, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
WE: Account Management (Other)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 34

Re: modifier - passive [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2012, 04:09
This post received
KUDOS
A question and a point about the above if I may:
Firstly, the which modifier should modify the noun it preceeds which you've used to eliminate those with hospital before, but is the phrase 'of the hospital' not a modifier of the 'new wing', and therefore shouldn't it be taken in its entirety as a noun phrase?
Secondly, perhaps I can help with the hope to open/ hope to be opened situation. I believe the clue in what the author is trying to convey is in the original statement (hoped to open). 'Hope to open' implies that at the time, the architect wanted it to be open at a point in the future where as 'hope to be opened' implies that right now he hopes that in the future there will be a point in which the wing will already be open. This is not what the original scentence says, nor is it logical.

I get super confused with modifiers, any help would be appreciated.

B.

In the study cave!

Manager
Manager
Status: SLOGGING : My son says,This time Papa u will have to make it : Innocence is BLISS
WE: Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 27

Re: modifier - passive [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2012, 15:15
bradfris wrote:
A question and a point about the above if I may:
Firstly, the which modifier should modify the noun it preceeds which you've used to eliminate those with hospital before, but is the phrase 'of the hospital' not a modifier of the 'new wing', and therefore shouldn't it be taken in its entirety as a noun phrase?
Secondly, perhaps I can help with the hope to open/ hope to be opened situation. I believe the clue in what the author is trying to convey is in the original statement (hoped to open). 'Hope to open' implies that at the time, the architect wanted it to be open at a point in the future where as 'hope to be opened' implies that right now he hopes that in the future there will be a point in which the wing will already be open. This is not what the original scentence says, nor is it logical.

I get super confused with modifiers, any help would be appreciated.

B.

Yes Buddy : u were bang on = Which can perfectly modify the noun phrase .............the new wing of the hospital : My bad ( have edited).
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 7

Re: The architect proposed that supplies for the new wing of the [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2012, 18:51
Besides the correct subjunctive mode for ‘proposed that’, E correctly has ‘hospital administrators hope to open’ in the active voice. No need to have ‘hoped to be opened’, the passive voice sentence in this context

Please provide kudos if you like my post. Thank you.

Re: The architect proposed that supplies for the new wing of the   [#permalink] 31 Aug 2012, 18:51