Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 10:39

Flash Sale:

The Economist GMAT Tutor - 15% Off All Courses

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The area of a rectangle is 80. What is the angle between the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 45 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
The area of a rectangle is 80. What is the angle between the [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2007, 03:40
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

63% (02:06) correct 37% (01:09) wrong based on 91 sessions
The area of a rectangle is 80. What is the angle between the diagonal of the rectangle and its longer side?

(1) The perimeter of the rectangle is 84
(2) The shorter side of the rectangle is 2

Its easy to find from each statement that the longer side is 40 and the shorter is 2. However, how do we find the angle b/w the diagonal and the longer side? Are the angle measures formed by the diagonal of a rectangle fixed??? Thanks.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Director
Director
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 106 [0], given: 33

Re: DS: Angle formed by Diagonal in Rectangle [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2007, 04:24
GK_Gmat wrote:
The area of a rectangle is 80. What is the angle between the diagonal of the rectangle and its longer side?

1. The perimeter of the rectangle is 84
2. The shorter side of the rectangle is 2

Its easy to find from each statement that the longer side is 40 and the shorter is 2. However, how do we find the angle b/w the diagonal and the longer side? Are the angle measures formed by the diagonal of a rectangle fixed??? Thanks.

L*W = 80

2*(L+W)=84

2*(80/w + w)=84

w^2 -42w +80 =0

Factorizing, we get

(w-40)(w-2) = 0

w=40 or 2

Therefore, longer side is 40 and shorter is 2, which is easier part as you have mentioned. ( First, yes, the internal angles of a rectangle are 90deg But that wont help you much here)
Neither knowing that the diagonals of the rectangle are of equal length and they bisect each other.

Hmmm.....I am not sure how to proceed in a fast way.... If I could use Trigonometry, we can find the angle.

Anyways, as the angle can be found using both the statements ( i ) and ( ii ), the answer in GMAT DS should be "C".!
Attachments

Rectangle.PNG
Rectangle.PNG [ 8.48 KiB | Viewed 4194 times ]

CEO
CEO
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 183 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: DS: Angle formed by Diagonal in Rectangle [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2007, 14:28
GK_Gmat wrote:

I originally said D and I still think its D after looking at LM's approach.

B/c we know the longer and shorter sides in both statements shouldnt the answer be D?
Expert Post
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Followers: 355

Kudos [?]: 1731 [0], given: 357

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2007, 15:26
Expert's post
I also think D.
Both statements alone seem to fix rectangle at an unique configuration giving us the sides and angles.
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2007, 23:32
Question remains: how do you go about finding the angle (without using tan, cosine, etc.)??
VP
VP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2007, 23:58
i think here we should say yes or no.
since you know the values of two sides of a right traingle it is easy to find using cos or tan tables. but in gmat u do not need to do so if it is DS.

D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 33

GMAT Tests User
Re: DS: Angle formed by Diagonal in Rectangle [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2011, 20:47
This doesnt seem like a typical GMAT question. They usually dont expect you to know that you can solve this with Trigonometry.
I saw this question on M23, question 24.
This is the explanation which i dont agree with

* Statement (1) ALONE is sufficient, but Statement (2) ALONE is not sufficient
* Statement (2) ALONE is sufficient, but Statement (1) ALONE is not sufficient
* BOTH statements TOGETHER are sufficient, but NEITHER statement ALONE is sufficient
* EACH statement ALONE is sufficient
* Statements (1) and (2) TOGETHER are NOT sufficient

Statement (1) by itself is sufficient. We can find the sides of the rectangle (40 and 2).

Statement (2) by itself is sufficient. We can find the sides of the rectangle (40 and 2).
Director
Director
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 190 [0], given: 123

Reviews Badge
Re: DS: Angle formed by Diagonal in Rectangle [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2011, 21:30
If all the sides of the triangle are known, the shape is fixed. If the shape is fixed the angles are fixed. I dont think gmat really cares the means you are going to use, to determine the solution. Whether you can determine is all that matters.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 33

GMAT Tests User
Re: DS: Angle formed by Diagonal in Rectangle [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2011, 21:36
gmat1220 wrote:
If all the sides of the triangle are known, the shape is fixed. If the shape is fixed the angles are fixed. I dont think gmat really cares the means you are going to use, to determine the solution. Whether you can determine is all that matters.

You can use law of cosines to calculate the angles.

But i am still not convinced this is a standard question.

Last edited by mbafall2011 on 04 Mar 2011, 10:13, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Fuqua
WE 1: Research in Neurology
WE 2: MORE research in Neurology
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 38 [1] , given: 55

GMAT Tests User
Re: DS: Angle formed by Diagonal in Rectangle [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2011, 09:32
This post received
KUDOS
GK_Gmat wrote:

I think the answer is D after looking at the problem:

I) 80 = W*L
P=2L+2W
84=2L+2W

80/w = L

84 = 2w+2(80/w)
42= w+(80/w)
42=(w/w)(w/1)+(80/W)
42=(w^2+80)/W
42w=(w^2)+80
0=(w^2)-42w+80
factor: (w-40)(w-2)
Longer = 40 Shorter = 2, angle can be obtained: I) sufficient

II) repeats information you already solved for validating your solution and not contradicting itself, sufficient

Answer: D

Back to the grind, goal 700+

SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 152 [0], given: 254

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The area of a rectangle is 80. What is the angle between the [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2014, 06:20
GK_Gmat wrote:

I got D as well cause I could figure out that both statements provided same info but I don't quite get the problem/ What are we asked for? The angle between the diagonals and its longest side, isn't it always 45? The diagonal should bisect the angle no?

Could anybody please clarify?
Thanks
Cheers!
J :)
Expert Post
Math Expert
Followers: 3361

Kudos [?]: 24381 [0], given: 2677

Re: The area of a rectangle is 80. What is the angle between the [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2014, 09:47
Expert's post
jlgdr wrote:
GK_Gmat wrote:

I got D as well cause I could figure out that both statements provided same info but I don't quite get the problem/ What are we asked for? The angle between the diagonals and its longest side, isn't it always 45? The diagonal should bisect the angle no?

Could anybody please clarify?
Thanks
Cheers!
J :)

Not necessarily. The diagonal of a square bisects the angle but not all rectangles are squares.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 26

Re: The area of a rectangle is 80. What is the angle between the [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2014, 10:18
Once we know all the sides, is there a way to find the two missing angles? Could anybody please explain how?

If it is not necessary to know how, please just confirm that when knowing the three sides of a right angled triangle it is enough information to find the missing angles (by trigonometry I guess).

Thank you in advance,
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Statistics
GMAT Date: 03-04-2014
GPA: 3.77
WE: Analyst (Retail Banking)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 7

Re: The area of a rectangle is 80. What is the angle between the [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2014, 10:49
I'm also interested to know the solution to this problem, because I had to rely on sin/cos to "prove" that the question could technically be solved. Plus, the fact that two statements gave the same piece of information, given that they couldn't contradict, I picked D.

Waiting for the solution from the experts.
Expert Post
Math Expert
Followers: 3361

Kudos [?]: 24381 [0], given: 2677

Re: The area of a rectangle is 80. What is the angle between the [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2014, 21:56
Expert's post
Abdul29 wrote:
I'm also interested to know the solution to this problem, because I had to rely on sin/cos to "prove" that the question could technically be solved. Plus, the fact that two statements gave the same piece of information, given that they couldn't contradict, I picked D.

You don't need to solve this question! It's a waste of time. You are asked not to calculate a value but to determine whether you are able to do so with the information supplied.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Statistics
GMAT Date: 03-04-2014
GPA: 3.77
WE: Analyst (Retail Banking)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 7

Re: The area of a rectangle is 80. What is the angle between the [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2014, 22:00
Bunuel wrote:
Abdul29 wrote:

You don't need to solve this question! It's a waste of time. You are asked not to calculate a value but to determine whether you are able to do so with the information supplied.

True, on the real test I would have picked (D) and moved on.
Re: The area of a rectangle is 80. What is the angle between the   [#permalink] 29 Jan 2014, 22:00