Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:10 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2135 [18]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 162 [5]
Given Kudos: 28
Schools:DukeTuck,Kelogg,Darden
 Q48  V36 GMAT 2: 730  Q50  V38
Send PM
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3046 [1]
Given Kudos: 157
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 162 [0]
Send PM
Re: The area of a square garden is A square feet and the perimeter is P [#permalink]
Solving it using the options is probably the fastest. Especially once you figure out that the side of the square is Odd.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Re: The area of a square garden is A square feet and the perimeter is P [#permalink]
Silvers wrote:
Solving it using the options is probably the fastest. Especially once you figure out that the side of the square is Odd.

How did you figure that out that its odd?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 162 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
gxsingh wrote:
Silvers wrote:

How did you figure that out that its odd?

Oh Thats Simple, equation says

A = 2P + 9

So means area is Odd so side is the square root of the area and has to be odd.

hope this helps :)
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618557 [2]
Given Kudos: 81561
Send PM
The area of a square garden is A square feet and the perimeter is P [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
zz0vlb wrote:
The area of a square garden is A square feet and the perimeter is P feet. If A = 2P + 9, what is the perimeter of the garden, in feet?

A. 28
B. 36
C. 40
D. 56
E. 64

Let the side of garden be \(x\) feet, then: \(area=a=x^2\) and \(perimeter=p=4x\).

Given: \(a=2p+9\) --> \(x^2=2*4x+9\) --> solving for \(x\): \(x=-1\) (not a valid solution as \(x\) represents the length and therefore must be positive) or \(x=9\) --> \(perimeter=p=4x=36\).

Answer: B.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 663 [0]
Given Kudos: 180
Send PM
This is hovv i solved it

A = a^2 it is a square implies it should be a perfect square

If A = 2P+9, implies a^2 = 2p+9

a^2 = 2(28) + 9 not a perfect square
a^2 = 2(36) + 9 perfect square = 80 so a = 9 so permieter = 36 true B
a^2 = 2(40) + 9 not a perfect square
a^2 = 2(56) + 9 perfect square = 121 so a = 11 if a =11 then permiter =44 condition fails
a^2 = 2(64) + 9 not a perfect square
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 596 [0]
Given Kudos: 82
Send PM
Area===== assume it L2.. because..L*L area..

permiter=========4L

a=2p+9...

L2=2(4L)+9.

L2-8L-9=0

L will contain two solutions.. L=-1 or +9..

-1 can not be the Length or anyside..so its 9..9*4..=36..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 386 [0]
Given Kudos: 169
GMAT Date: 02-11-2015
WE:Psychology and Counseling (Other)
Hey,

This is a fairly easy problem, but I think the stem is not very clear. That because it says a=2p+9, but it doesn't clarify if this "a" is the area. Especially since before it was stated that the area is A. At least I was left wondering is "a" is the area of the side of the square.

Anyway, I did it both ways. It didn't work out as "a" being the side, so I concluded that it must be the area. And I know that it doesn't make much sense to be the side, since "p", the perimeter, cannot be less than the side. Still though I think it is not clear enough!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Send PM
pacifist85 wrote:
Hey,

This is a fairly easy problem, but I think the stem is not very clear. That because it says a=2p+9, but it doesn't clarify if this "a" is the area. Especially since before it was stated that the area is A. At least I was left wondering is "a" is the area of the side of the square.

Anyway, I did it both ways. It didn't work out as "a" being the side, so I concluded that it must be the area. And I know that it doesn't make much sense to be the side, since "p", the perimeter, cannot be less than the side. Still though I think it is not clear enough!

I was thinking the same question. He said "a" not "A" .
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64880 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Expert Reply
Salvetor wrote:
pacifist85 wrote:
Hey,

Yes, the area is given as 'A' and perimeter as 'P' and the relation between them is given as A = 2P + 9
The different As seem to be a typing oversight.

You need to find the perimeter so get rid of A. Side of the square will be \(\sqrt{A}\).
So Perimeter \(P = 4*Side = 4\sqrt{A}\)
\(A = P^2/16 = 2P + 9\)
Solving, we get P = 36
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 1128
Send PM
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
Salvetor wrote:
pacifist85 wrote:
Hey,

Yes, the area is given as 'A' and perimeter as 'P' and the relation between them is given as A = 2P + 9
The different As seem to be a typing oversight.

You need to find the perimeter so get rid of A. Side of the square will be \(\sqrt{A}\).
So Perimeter \(P = 4*Side = 4\sqrt{A}\)
\(A = P^2/16 = 2P + 9\)
Solving, we get P = 36

I used this method,but end up with a complex quadratic equation - P^2-32P-144=0 Any quick ways to solve for p from that quadratic equation?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64880 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
theperfectgentleman wrote:

I used this method,but end up with a complex quadratic equation - P^2-32P-144=0 Any quick ways to solve for p from that quadratic equation?

Note that the equation has negative coefficient of P and a negative constant term.
So sum of roots and product of roots both are negative. Hence one root is negative and the other positive. So at least one root will be greater than 32. Since the product of both is 144, the other root will be very small such as 2, 3 or 4. You see that 36*4 = 144 so you get the split as

P^2 - 36P + 4P - 144 = 0
(P - 36)(P + 4) = 0
P = 36
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 166
Send PM
Let side be a
P = 4a
A = a^2

Sub in equation A=2P+9

a^2 = 8a +9
a^2-8a +9 = 0
a = 9 or -1

So P = 4*9 = 36.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 89
GMAT 1: 650 Q45 V35
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
zz0vlb wrote:
The area of a square garden is A square feet and the perimeter is P feet. If A = 2P + 9, what is the perimeter of the garden, in feet?

A. 28
B. 36
C. 40
D. 56
E. 64

Instead of assuming side as x or a lets assume side as sqrt(A) derived from the area A and side as P/4 derived from the perimeter. This makes sqrt(A) = P/4.
When applying this in the equation A=2P+9, we cannot find the answer, hence i feel the question has a flaw.
please help
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92875 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts