Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 13:36 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 13:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2138 [30]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Own Kudos [?]: 7018 [17]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Journalism
 Q47  V47 GMAT 2: 770  Q49  V48
Send PM
General Discussion
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [1]
Send PM
Re: The Arthritis Research Institute of America advises women of color [#permalink]
Kudos
The Arthritis Research Institute of America advises women of color that they have twice the likelihood to get osteoarthritis of the knee as do White women.

A. that they have twice the likelihood to get osteoarthritis of the knee as do White women
B. that they are twice as likely as White women to get osteoarthritis of the knee
C. that their likelihood of getting osteoarthritis of the knee is twice as much as White women
D. of being twice as likely as White women to get osteoarthritis of the knee
E. of having twice the likelihood of getting osteoarthritis of the knee as White women

A is wrong as it should say "twice the likelihood of getting...
B is correct I believe. It is correct to compare women to women, it is comparing the likelihood of one group to the likelihood of another.
C- twice as much as is not idiomatically correct. You could say "twice as high as" but not twice as much as. Much is incorrect here.
D and E incorrect preposition of

I must choose B.

Eric
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Re: The Arthritis Research Institute of America advises women of color [#permalink]
likelihood of "-ing form of verb" - Is this a standard usage?

What is OA for this?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Send PM
One more for B. Of being does not sound correct in D...can't explain the rule though
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Send PM
B!

Advises is a "subjunctive", hence need to be followed by "that". As such, D and E are out.

A: "twice the likelihood to get" akward. If "twice the likelihood of getting" may be a better option

C: "twice as much" is again akward.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 532 [0]
Send PM
B.

likelihood shouldn't be used in the middle of the sentence
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 930 [0]
Send PM
A for me.

B is wrong because
first: advise that.. should use subjunctive mode.
2nd: "they are twice as likely as White women " is not good, there should be an "are" after the white women.
Director
Director
Send PM
Yes. time for OA. you don't want to wait until Christmas is over, do you. :P
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Send PM
tennis_ball wrote:
A for me.

B is wrong because
2nd: "they are twice as likely as White women " is not good, there should be an "are" after the white women.

I find B the best.

tennis_ball, don't you think 'are' is implicit here. Eg, She is as tall as he, which is basically She is as tall as he (is).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
I think 'A' is best answer because the statement should compare the likelyhood of getting osteroarthritis not women of color.
Director
Director
Send PM
mst wrote:
tennis_ball wrote:
A for me.

B is wrong because

I find B the best.

tennis_ball, don't you think 'are' is implicit here. Eg, She is as tall as he, which is basically She is as tall as he (is).

it should be subjunctive mood, so B can't be right.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
I looked up "twice" in the dictionary, seems both the usage of A and of B are right, how can I distinguish these two choices?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
TommyWallach wrote:
Hey All,

I got asked to take this one on by PM, so here I am!

The Arthritis Research Institute of America advises women of color that they have twice the likelihood to get osteoarthritis of the knee as do White women.

A. that they have twice the likelihood to get osteoarthritis of the knee as do White women
PROBLEM: You can't "have a likelihood."

B. that they are twice as likely as White women to get osteoarthritis of the knee
ANSWER: No problems here "twice as likely as White women" is clear, and you are likely TO get something.

C. that their likelihood of getting osteoarthritis of the knee is twice as much as White women
PROBLEM: A likelihood can't be twice as much. It doesn't make any sense. A likelihood can be high or low, but not twice as much. Also, we're comparing the likelihood too "white women" here, which is the wrong comparison.

PROBLEM: You advise someone "that" something is true, not "of". Also, generally the word "being" is always wrong.

E. of having twice the likelihood of getting osteoarthritis of the knee as White women
PROBLEM: You advise someone "that" something is true, not "of". Also, you can't have "twice the likelihood", and there's a weird comparison here, as if women of color could somehow get "white women" in the same way they would get "osteoarthritis."

Hope that helps!

-t

Thank you Tommy!

I'm much more clear about the usage of "likelihood"!
Director
Director
Affiliations: IIT, Purdue, PhD, TauBetaPi
Own Kudos [?]: 360 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: $ Finance $
Schools:Wharton, Sloan, Chicago, Haas
 Q50  V37
GPA: 4.0
WE 1: 8 years in Oil&Gas
Send PM
Tommy
Brilliant as usual... Quick question.. Is twice as much alright? Or should it be twice as high?

I assume your reasoning below equally applies to "probability" ..

I did not know you cannot "have a likelihood".. Also in option C below if it ended in..twice as much as the likelihood that white women would get it? Does that make it any better in terms of comparison?

TommyWallach wrote:
Hey All,

I got asked to take this one on by PM, so here I am!

PROBLEM: You can't "have a likelihood."

ANSWER: No problems here "twice as likely as White women" is clear, and you are likely TO get something.

PROBLEM: A likelihood can't be twice as much. It doesn't make any sense. A likelihood can be high or low, but not twice as much. Also, we're comparing the likelihood too "white women" here, which is the wrong comparison.

PROBLEM: You advise someone "that" something is true, not "of". Also, generally the word "being" is always wrong.

PROBLEM: You advise someone "that" something is true, not "of". Also, you can't have "twice the likelihood", and there's a weird comparison here, as if women of color could somehow get "white women" in the same way they would get "osteoarthritis."

Hope that helps!

-t

Posted from my mobile device
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Own Kudos [?]: 7018 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Journalism
 Q47  V47 GMAT 2: 770  Q49  V48
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hey Mainhoon,

One by one:

1. Is twice as much alright? Or should it be twice as high? : Well you can't say "much" in this sentence, if that's your question. But "high" kinda sucks, too (though it may be technically legal). The BEST way is not to use "likelihood" this way, and go with "twice as likely." In general, the word choice should be dependent on context, though the truth is I couldn't think of a context where "high" was a good choice, though I'm open to the possibility:

"I have twice as much money as Dave." --> see, no problem

"My skyscraper is twice as high as Dave's." --> this should say "twice as tall"

"My taxes are twice as high as Dave's." --> Possible, but awkward.

2. I assume your reasoning below equally applies to "probability" ..

Indeed, I'm 99% all my explanations here apply to probability as well.

3. I did not know you cannot "have a likelihood": Yep. There can "be a (significant) likelihood" of something, but you can't HAVE it.

4. Also in option C below if it ended in:

that their likelihood of getting osteoarthritis of the knee is twice as much as the likelihood that white women would get it? Does that make it any better in terms of comparison?

Nope. Your likelihood can't be twice as much. Also "their likelihood" doesn't make sense. You can't HAVE a likelihood, so the idea of using a possessive pronoun with "likelihood" makes very little sense.

Hope that helps!

-t
Director
Director
Affiliations: IIT, Purdue, PhD, TauBetaPi
Own Kudos [?]: 360 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: $ Finance $
Schools:Wharton, Sloan, Chicago, Haas
 Q50  V37
GPA: 4.0
WE 1: 8 years in Oil&Gas
Send PM
Great explanations Tommy, I could almost hear you there.. Also nite that you left 1% open in your answer for "probability" :)

But what I wrong with "twice as high"? Twice as tall sounds better, but high also identifies a building characteristic...

I have another question in another thread on morelikelythan when you get a chance...
Thanks

TommyWallach wrote:
Hey Mainhoon,

One by one:

1. Is twice as much alright? Or should it be twice as high? : Well you can't say "much" in this sentence, if that's your question. But "high" kinda sucks, too (though it may be technically legal). The BEST way is not to use "likelihood" this way, and go with "twice as likely." In general, the word choice should be dependent on context, though the truth is I couldn't think of a context where "high" was a good choice, though I'm open to the possibility:

"I have twice as much money as Dave." --> see, no problem

"My skyscraper is twice as high as Dave's." --> this should say "twice as tall"

"My taxes are twice as high as Dave's." --> Possible, but awkward.

2. I assume your reasoning below equally applies to "probability" ..

Indeed, I'm 99% all my explanations here apply to probability as well.

3. I did not know you cannot "have a likelihood": Yep. There can "be a (significant) likelihood" of something, but you can't HAVE it.

that their likelihood of getting osteoarthritis of the knee is twice as much as the likelihood that white women would get it? Does that make it any better in terms of comparison?

Nope. Your likelihood can't be twice as much. Also "their likelihood" doesn't make sense. You can't HAVE a likelihood, so the idea of using a possessive pronoun with "likelihood" makes very little sense.

Hope that helps!

-t

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.11
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
I find C to be best answer...though most find B, I am not sure.
Can someone explain better? Also OA plz...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
mainhoon wrote:

I guess, if you really wanna use "likelihood" here, the sentence may be:
...advise women of color that the likelihood that they get osteoarthritis of the knee is twice as much as the likelihood that White women do.

The above rendering is obviously wordy thus worse than the "twice as likey as" form.
though I'm not sure if "likelihood ....twice as much as" is OK here.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts