Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 11:37 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 11:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 558 [24]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 590 Q47 V24
GMAT 2: 650 Q47 V34
GMAT 3: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 4: 690 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [7]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 558 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 590 Q47 V24
GMAT 2: 650 Q47 V34
GMAT 3: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 4: 690 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 509 [1]
Given Kudos: 67
Send PM
Re: The article explained that there is evidence that the dolphins suffer [#permalink]
Kudos
daagh wrote:
IMO, B and C are not fidel tothe original . Among D and E, we can simply drop E for its over- emphasis on great deal of evidence. Between A and D, D is suspect because of saying– a proof-. A will be my choice

A is out because of the "an average".

Isn't "a proof" synonymous with "an evidence"? According to the Dictionary.com, it is 1. evidence sufficient to establish a thing as true, or to produce belief in its truth. https://dictionary.reference.com/browse/proof?s=t
Therefore D can't be eliminated on this ground.

B is the best AC as to grammar, but the "ample" changes the meaning of the original sentence. I thought it too influential and picked AC D, which is wordier, but keeps the original meaning and is still correct gramatically.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [3]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: The article explained that there is evidence that the dolphins suffer [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
I reckon 'a average' is a typo; No GMAT question will be so blatantly poor as to forget the difference between a and an, of course, unless there is some other reason to oppose the use of an average.
An evidence may be synonymous with a proof, bBut unfortunately, the text does not have 'an evidence' but just 'evidence'. So ‘a proof' becomes incongruous. In addition the text does not describe evidence or proof as ample, enough or great etc,.

But above all, change of meaning is critical to the modern- day GMAT, and this is a lesson in proof
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 169 [1]
Given Kudos: 44
WE:Consulting (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Kudos
Another issue with A, B and D is positioning of "only". The intended meaning is "living an average of only 12 years". "only live an average" distorts the meaning.

C uses the definite article "the" for average making it awkward.

And E was eliminated for changing the words, using "a captivity"

Which left me with no option. So I rechecked and chose D which was less worse than others!

P.S: Wouldn't the phrase "explained that" warrants the sentence be in reported tense?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 407 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Send PM
HumptyDumpty wrote:
daagh wrote:
IMO, B and C are not fidel tothe original . Among D and E, we can simply drop E for its over- emphasis on great deal of evidence. Between A and D, D is suspect because of saying– a proof-. A will be my choice

Isn't "a proof" synonymous with "an evidence"? According to the Dictionary.com, it is 1. evidence sufficient to establish a thing as true, or to produce belief in its truth. https://dictionary.reference.com/browse/proof?s=t

B is the best AC as to grammar, but the "ample" changes the meaning of the original sentence. I thought it too influential and picked AC D, which is wordier, but keeps the original meaning and is still correct gramatically.

HumptyDumpty, If Option A has an average, then which would you choose between A & B options like below:

a) evidence that the dolphins suffer in captivity, living only an average
b) ample proof that dolphins living in captivity only survive an average

Option (B) says, dolphins ONLY those live in captivity survive for around 12 years; whereas option A says all dolphins suffer in captivity and live 12 years only.

Also Are ample proof and evidence same?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 509 [1]
Given Kudos: 67
Send PM
Kudos
umeshpatil wrote:
HumptyDumpty wrote:
daagh wrote:

HumptyDumpty, If Option A has an average, then which would you choose between A & B options like below:

a) evidence that the dolphins suffer in captivity, living only an average

Option (B) says, dolphins ONLY those live in captivity survive for around 12 years; whereas option A says all dolphins suffer in captivity and live 12 years only.

Also Are ample proof and evidence same?

Putting aside all the disputable here, I just keep in mind that we are to choose the best possible answer, not the best best. Sometimes on the GMAT you have to choose the lesser evil. Typo or not, you work on what you get - I'd rather not be pondering if some error is a typo, I'd rather go for the lesser evil.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 637 [2]
Given Kudos: 59
GPA: 2.5
WE:Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
Kudos
I eliminated D on grounds of being wordy.
Choice B - explicitly does not mention "suffer" which is catchy....but I think the intended meaning is explained well by "....living in captivity"

Could not find any other way to pick between B and D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 176 [2]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
Kudos
lucbesson wrote:
The article explained that there is evidence that the dolphins suffer in captivity, living only a average of 12 years, with some even committing suicide.
a) evidence that the dolphins suffer in captivity, living only a average
c) study that the dolphins only live the average
d) a proof that, in captivity, dolphins suffer and only live an average
e) a great deal of the evidence that dolphins suffer in a captivity and live only an average

My 2 cents why I thought D was wrong

"In captivity" with commas is a non essential modifier. The meaning of the sentence is "all dolphins suffer and live only an average of 12 years". Its not all dolphins that suffer but only those dolphins that are in captivity.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4324 [1]
Given Kudos: 197
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Kudos
lucbesson wrote:
The article explained that there is evidence that the dolphins suffer in captivity, living only a average of 12 years, with some even committing suicide.
a) evidence that the dolphins suffer in captivity, living only a average
c) study that the dolphins only live the average
d) a proof that, in captivity, dolphins suffer and only live an average
e) a great deal of the evidence that dolphins suffer in a captivity and live only an average

hi,

meaning of sentence:
article explained that
dolphins that are in captivity suffer====>result of this is ====>average life of 12 years.....

now coming to the options:

a) evidence that the dolphins suffer in captivity, living only a average(CORRECT.==>ONLY is correctly used, EVIDENCE THAT is a correct idiom,AND SUFFER clearly shows the intended meaning.)

b) ample proof that dolphins living in captivity only survive an average(meaning is changed because of absence of word SUFFER...also use of only before survive is wrong....rather" "Only" should be placed with precision next to the group of words it actually limits......only survive..is wrong intent.....

for more clarification check this example from OG 13:
Diabetes, together with its serious complications,
ranks as the nation's third leading cause of death,
surpassed only by heart disease and cancer.
(A) ranks as the nation's third leadingcause of
death, surpassed only
(B) rank as the nation's third leading cause of death,
only surpassed ,
(C) has the rank of the nation's third leadingcause
of death, only surpassed
(D) are the nation's third leading causes of death,
surpassed only
(E) have been ranked as the nation's third leading
causes of death, only surpassed

IN THE ABOVE QUESTION in the original sentence only correctly restricts heart disease and cancer ......and only surpassed is wrong.

c) study that the dolphins only live the average( Same error as in B)

d) a proof that, in captivity, dolphins suffer and only live an average(Use of only is wrong and also "In captivity" with commas is a non essential modifier. The meaning of the sentence is "all dolphins suffer and live only an average of 12 years". Its not all dolphins that suffer but only those dolphins that are in captivity.

e) a great deal of the evidence that dolphins suffer in a captivity and live only an average[/quote]
this has 2 errors:
firstly its too wordy and awkward
secondly the use of " in a captivity" ..seems to say about a particular captivity rather than general.

hence the correct answer is A.....as it seems there is no error in tha except a typo....."A AVERAGE"

hope it helps

SKM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 392
Send PM
POE, left with A and B.
I feel 'Evidence' is better that 'ample proof'.
I don't find anything wrong with A. Why's A not the OA?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38819 [1]
Given Kudos: 220
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 2.81
WE:Business Development (Real Estate)
Send PM