Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 19:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The article explained that there is evidence that the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 590 Q47 V24
GMAT 2: 650 Q47 V34
GMAT 3: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 4: 690 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Consumer Products)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 18

GMAT ToolKit User
The article explained that there is evidence that the [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2013, 03:51
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

34% (02:01) correct 66% (01:01) wrong based on 70 sessions
The article explained that there is evidence that the dolphins suffer in captivity, living only a average of 12 years, with some even committing suicide.
a) evidence that the dolphins suffer in captivity, living only a average
b) ample proof that dolphins living in captivity only survive an average
c) study that the dolphins only live the average
d) a proof that, in captivity, dolphins suffer and only live an average
e) a great deal of the evidence that dolphins suffer in a captivity and live only an average
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 590 Q47 V24
GMAT 2: 650 Q47 V34
GMAT 3: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 4: 690 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Consumer Products)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 18

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The article explained that there is evidence that the dolphi [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2013, 03:54
lucbesson wrote:
The article explained that there is evidence that the dolphins suffer in captivity, living only a average of 12 years, with some even committing suicide.
e) a great deal of the evidence that dolphins suffer in a captivity and live only an average

Hi all!
Can anybody please explain why the answer is B not D?

In my oppinion, D perfectly suits because a) after "that" it is perfectly ok to start a new clause" b) both verbs in that clause are in the proper tense.
THX!
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 260

Kudos [?]: 1523 [0], given: 248

Re: The article explained that there is evidence that the dolphi [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2013, 04:42
Expert's post
I do not go with the OA. The element of suffering is an essential feature of the text. Just living for12 years on average may be even a natural thing. It is the suffering that lends credibility to the short life. IMO, B and C are not fidel tothe original . Among D and E, we can simply drop E for its over- emphasis on great deal of evidence. Between A and D, D is suspect because of saying– a proof-. A will be my choice

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 90 [0], given: 67

Re: The article explained that there is evidence that the dolphi [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2013, 06:53
daagh wrote:
IMO, B and C are not fidel tothe original . Among D and E, we can simply drop E for its over- emphasis on great deal of evidence. Between A and D, D is suspect because of saying– a proof-. A will be my choice

A is out because of the "an average".

Isn't "a proof" synonymous with "an evidence"? According to the Dictionary.com, it is 1. evidence sufficient to establish a thing as true, or to produce belief in its truth. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/proof?s=t
Therefore D can't be eliminated on this ground.

B is the best AC as to grammar, but the "ample" changes the meaning of the original sentence. I thought it too influential and picked AC D, which is wordier, but keeps the original meaning and is still correct gramatically.

If I answered your question with this post, use the motivating power of kudos!

Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 260

Kudos [?]: 1523 [0], given: 248

Re: The article explained that there is evidence that the dolphi [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2013, 07:54
Expert's post
I reckon 'a average' is a typo; No GMAT question will be so blatantly poor as to forget the difference between a and an, of course, unless there is some other reason to oppose the use of an average.
An evidence may be synonymous with a proof, bBut unfortunately, the text does not have 'an evidence' but just 'evidence'. So ‘a proof' becomes incongruous. In addition the text does not describe evidence or proof as ample, enough or great etc,.

But above all, change of meaning is critical to the modern- day GMAT, and this is a lesson in proof

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 36

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The article explained that there is evidence that the dolphi [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2013, 08:09
Another issue with A, B and D is positioning of "only". The intended meaning is "living an average of only 12 years". "only live an average" distorts the meaning.

C uses the definite article "the" for average making it awkward.

And E was eliminated for changing the words, using "a captivity"

Which left me with no option. So I rechecked and chose D which was less worse than others!

P.S: Wouldn't the phrase "explained that" warrants the sentence be in reported tense?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 69

CAT Tests
Re: The article explained that there is evidence that the dolphi [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2013, 19:03
HumptyDumpty wrote:
daagh wrote:
IMO, B and C are not fidel tothe original . Among D and E, we can simply drop E for its over- emphasis on great deal of evidence. Between A and D, D is suspect because of saying– a proof-. A will be my choice

Isn't "a proof" synonymous with "an evidence"? According to the Dictionary.com, it is 1. evidence sufficient to establish a thing as true, or to produce belief in its truth. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/proof?s=t

B is the best AC as to grammar, but the "ample" changes the meaning of the original sentence. I thought it too influential and picked AC D, which is wordier, but keeps the original meaning and is still correct gramatically.

HumptyDumpty, If Option A has an average, then which would you choose between A & B options like below:

a) evidence that the dolphins suffer in captivity, living only an average

Option (B) says, dolphins ONLY those live in captivity survive for around 12 years; whereas option A says all dolphins suffer in captivity and live 12 years only.

Also Are ample proof and evidence same?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 90 [0], given: 67

Re: The article explained that there is evidence that the dolphi [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2013, 22:21
umeshpatil wrote:
HumptyDumpty wrote:
daagh wrote:

HumptyDumpty, If Option A has an average, then which would you choose between A & B options like below:

a) evidence that the dolphins suffer in captivity, living only an average

Option (B) says, dolphins ONLY those live in captivity survive for around 12 years; whereas option A says all dolphins suffer in captivity and live 12 years only.

Also Are ample proof and evidence same?

Putting aside all the disputable here, I just keep in mind that we are to choose the best possible answer, not the best best. Sometimes on the GMAT you have to choose the lesser evil. Typo or not, you work on what you get - I'd rather not be pondering if some error is a typo, I'd rather go for the lesser evil.

If I answered your question with this post, use the motivating power of kudos!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GPA: 2.5
WE: Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 101 [0], given: 59

GMAT Tests User
Re: The article explained that there is evidence that the dolphi [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2013, 09:39
I eliminated D on grounds of being wordy.
Choice B - explicitly does not mention "suffer" which is catchy....but I think the intended meaning is explained well by "....living in captivity"

Could not find any other way to pick between B and D

"When the going gets tough, the tough gets going!"

Bring ON SOME KUDOS MATES+++

-----------------------------
Quant Notes consolidated: consolodited-quant-guides-of-forum-most-helpful-in-preps-151067.html#p1217652

My GMAT journey begins: my-gmat-journey-begins-122251.html

All about Richard Ivey: all-about-richard-ivey-148594.html#p1190518

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 22 [1] , given: 36

Re: The article explained that there is evidence that the dolphi [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2013, 13:16
This post received
KUDOS
lucbesson wrote:

My 2 cents why I thought D was wrong

"In captivity" with commas is a non essential modifier. The meaning of the sentence is "all dolphins suffer and live only an average of 12 years". Its not all dolphins that suffer but only those dolphins that are in captivity.

Maadhu

MGMAT1 - 540 ( Trying to improve )

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V29
GMAT 2: 670 Q50 V29
GMAT 3: 620 Q49 V26
GMAT 4: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 561 [1] , given: 197

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The article explained that there is evidence that the [#permalink] New post 01 May 2013, 01:16
This post received
KUDOS
lucbesson wrote:

hi,

meaning of sentence:
article explained that
dolphins that are in captivity suffer====>result of this is ====>average life of 12 years.....

now coming to the options:

a) evidence that the dolphins suffer in captivity, living only a average(CORRECT.==>ONLY is correctly used, EVIDENCE THAT is a correct idiom,AND SUFFER clearly shows the intended meaning.)

b) ample proof that dolphins living in captivity only survive an average(meaning is changed because of absence of word SUFFER...also use of only before survive is wrong....rather" "Only" should be placed with precision next to the group of words it actually limits......only survive..is wrong intent.....

for more clarification check this example from OG 13:
Diabetes, together with its serious complications,
ranks as the nation's third leading cause of death,
surpassed only by heart disease and cancer.
(A) ranks as the nation's third leadingcause of
death, surpassed only
(B) rank as the nation's third leading cause of death,
only surpassed ,
(C) has the rank of the nation's third leadingcause
of death, only surpassed
(D) are the nation's third leading causes of death,
surpassed only
(E) have been ranked as the nation's third leading
causes of death, only surpassed

IN THE ABOVE QUESTION in the original sentence only correctly restricts heart disease and cancer ......and only surpassed is wrong.

c) study that the dolphins only live the average( Same error as in B)

d) a proof that, in captivity, dolphins suffer and only live an average(Use of only is wrong and also "In captivity" with commas is a non essential modifier. The meaning of the sentence is "all dolphins suffer and live only an average of 12 years". Its not all dolphins that suffer but only those dolphins that are in captivity.

e) a great deal of the evidence that dolphins suffer in a captivity and live only an average[/quote]
this has 2 errors:
firstly its too wordy and awkward
secondly the use of " in a captivity" ..seems to say about a particular captivity rather than general.

hence the correct answer is A.....as it seems there is no error in tha except a typo....."A AVERAGE"

hope it helps

SKM

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...

GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

Re: The article explained that there is evidence that the   [#permalink] 01 May 2013, 01:16