Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Apr 2014, 06:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The average age of chief executive officers (CEO s) in a

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
VP
VP
Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 1406
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 99 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
The average age of chief executive officers (CEO s) in a [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2008, 09:01
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  5% (low)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
The average age of chief executive officers (CEO’s) in a large sample of companies is 57. The average age of CEO’s in those same companies 20 years ago was approximately eight years younger. On the basis of those data, it can be concluded that CEO’s in general tend to be older now.

Which of the following casts the most doubt on the conclusion drawn above?
(A) The dates when the CEO’s assumed their current positions have not been specified.
(B) No information is given concerning the average number of years that CEO’s remain in office.
(C) The information is based only on companies that have been operating for at least 20 years.
(D) Only approximate information is given concerning the average age of the CEO’s 20 years ago.
(E) Information concerning the exact number of companies in the sample has not been given.
_________________

cheers
Its Now Or Never

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Joined: 10 Mar 2008
Posts: 376
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-ceo [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2008, 09:23
C?


I believe there is a sampling error. The conclusion is made on the based on a limited sample (57 companies)
Director
Director
Joined: 30 Jun 2007
Posts: 793
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 97 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-ceo [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2008, 10:11
D

Average age vs. Average approximately
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Joined: 10 Mar 2008
Posts: 376
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-ceo [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2008, 11:55
I dont seem to understand the linkage between the averages that you've indicated to support D.

Could you please outline the logic. Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Joined: 12 May 2006
Posts: 186
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-ceo [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2008, 12:01
I am stuck between A and B and IMO its B.

No information is given concerning the average number of years that CEO’s remain in office.

If not information is given about the average number of years that CEO’s remain in office it is possible that most of the CEOs are sitting in office for quite some years and hence because of that the average has increased.

Though A also looks equally good.
Retired Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 18 Jul 2008
Posts: 997
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-ceo [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2008, 13:56
I pick A.
Director
Director
Joined: 01 Jan 2008
Posts: 629
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 124 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-ceo [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2008, 15:42
C: small sample bias
VP
VP
Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 1406
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 99 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-ceo [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2008, 17:06
grepro wrote:
I am stuck between A and B and IMO its B.

No information is given concerning the average number of years that CEO’s remain in office.

If not information is given about the average number of years that CEO’s remain in office it is possible that most of the CEOs are sitting in office for quite some years and hence because of that the average has increased.

Though A also looks equally good.

even i selected B but its not the OA
OA is C
y cant the term of CEO count in this scenario?
_________________

cheers
Its Now Or Never

Manager
Manager
Joined: 12 May 2006
Posts: 186
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-ceo [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2008, 17:09
On rethinking i feel that A and B says more or less the same thing and since both cannot be correct C is the best alternative.
VP
VP
Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 1406
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 99 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-ceo [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2008, 17:24
grepro wrote:
On rethinking i feel that A and B says more or less the same thing and since both cannot be correct C is the best alternative.


I dont consider this a valid logic to decide
_________________

cheers
Its Now Or Never

VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 03 Apr 2007
Posts: 1378
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 130 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: CR-ceo [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2008, 11:11
spriya wrote:
The average age of chief executive officers (CEO’s) in a large sample of companies is 57. The average age of CEO’s in those same companies 20 years ago was approximately eight years younger. On the basis of those data, it can be concluded that CEO’s in general tend to be older now.

Which of the following casts the most doubt on the conclusion drawn above?
(A) The dates when the CEO’s assumed their current positions have not been specified.
(B) No information is given concerning the average number of years that CEO’s remain in office.
(C) The information is based only on companies that have been operating for at least 20 years.
(D) Only approximate information is given concerning the average age of the CEO’s 20 years ago.
(E) Information concerning the exact number of companies in the sample has not been given.



Argument is of Representative type.
sample 1: The average age of CEO’s in those same companies 20 years ago was approximately eight years younger.
>>>Here is data sample is about CEOs working 20 years ago


sample 2:On the basis of those data, it can be concluded that CEO’s in general tend to be older now
>>>Conclusion is applied to all CEOs .

C
VP
VP
Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 1406
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 99 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-ceo [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2008, 18:05
goalsnr wrote:
spriya wrote:
The average age of chief executive officers (CEO’s) in a large sample of companies is 57. The average age of CEO’s in those same companies 20 years ago was approximately eight years younger. On the basis of those data, it can be concluded that CEO’s in general tend to be older now.

Which of the following casts the most doubt on the conclusion drawn above?
(A) The dates when the CEO’s assumed their current positions have not been specified.
(B) No information is given concerning the average number of years that CEO’s remain in office.
(C) The information is based only on companies that have been operating for at least 20 years.
(D) Only approximate information is given concerning the average age of the CEO’s 20 years ago.
(E) Information concerning the exact number of companies in the sample has not been given.



Argument is of Representative type.
sample 1: The average age of CEO’s in those same companies 20 years ago was approximately eight years younger.
>>>Here is data sample is about CEOs working 20 years ago


sample 2:On the basis of those data, it can be concluded that CEO’s in general tend to be older now
>>>Conclusion is applied to all CEOs .

C

Ok here is the case of a limited data taken to make a generic decision
_________________

cheers
Its Now Or Never

Director
Director
Joined: 20 Sep 2006
Posts: 658
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-ceo [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2008, 18:09
spriya wrote:
The average age of chief executive officers (CEO’s) in a large sample of companies is 57. The average age of CEO’s in those same companies 20 years ago was approximately eight years younger. On the basis of those data, it can be concluded that CEO’s in general tend to be older now.

Which of the following casts the most doubt on the conclusion drawn above?
(A) The dates when the CEO’s assumed their current positions have not been specified.
(B) No information is given concerning the average number of years that CEO’s remain in office.
(C) The information is based only on companies that have been operating for at least 20 years.
(D) Only approximate information is given concerning the average age of the CEO’s 20 years ago.
(E) Information concerning the exact number of companies in the sample has not been given.



IMO B

EDIT: I see ... I should have stayed in scope. C make sense
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 27 Jun 2008
Posts: 160
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-ceo [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2008, 20:49
True even i got confused b/w A and B but then C makes more sense due to the statistical misrepresentation in the question. Clearly a case of a special set being generalized.
Manager
Manager
Joined: 03 Jun 2008
Posts: 136
Schools: ISB, Tuck, Michigan (Ross), Darden, MBS
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: CR-ceo [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2008, 00:25
grepro wrote:
On rethinking i feel that A and B says more or less the same thing and since both cannot be correct C is the best alternative.


Additionally B is a better option than A since it gives the average
_________________

-----------------------------------------------------------
'It's not the ride, it's the rider'

Intern
Intern
Joined: 17 Jan 2013
Posts: 37
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 67

Re: The average age of chief executive officers (CEO s) in a [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 13:58
OA is C
Why not B?? :(
C is definitely right but B is also correct.. wht if the avg tenure period is 25 years (assuming) so the average taken 20 years back is bound to be less than what it is now.. is it not??
Re: The average age of chief executive officers (CEO s) in a   [#permalink] 22 Mar 2013, 13:58
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
New posts The average age of chief executive officers (CEO s) in a sonaketu 4 20 Mar 2005, 03:02
New posts The average age of chief executive officers (CEO s) in a rahulraao 8 14 Sep 2005, 18:34
Popular new posts The average age of chief executive officers (CEO s) in a ayushi 14 09 Oct 2006, 09:38
New posts 8 The average age of chief executive officers (CEOs) in a sebycb976 8 04 Jun 2008, 19:28
Popular new posts 13 Experts publish their posts in the topic The average age of chief executive officers (CEO s) in a SudiptoGmat 26 18 Jan 2010, 06:28
Display posts from previous: Sort by

The average age of chief executive officers (CEO s) in a

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.