Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 00:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The average age of chief executive officers (CEO s) in a

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
3 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 21 Dec 2009
Posts: 268
Location: India
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 72 [3] , given: 25

The average age of chief executive officers (CEO s) in a [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2010, 06:28
3
This post received
KUDOS
5
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  75% (hard)

Question Stats:

45% (01:00) correct 55% (01:10) wrong based on 359 sessions
The average age of chief executive officers (CEO’s) in a large sample of companies is 57. The average age of CEO’s in those same companies 20 years ago was approximately eight years younger. On the basis of those data, it can be concluded that CEO’s in general tend to be older now.

Which of the following casts the most doubt on the conclusion drawn above?

(A) The dates when the CEO’s assumed their current positions have not been specified.
(B) No information is given concerning the average number of years that CEO’s remain in office.
(C) The information is based only on companies that have been operating for at least 20 years.
(D) Only approximate information is given concerning the average age of the CEO’s 20 years ago.
(E) Information concerning the exact number of companies in the sample has not been given.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

Cheers,
SD


Last edited by dentobizz on 01 Nov 2013, 11:36, edited 1 time in total.
Adding OA
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 14 Jan 2010
Posts: 26
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: The average age of chief executive officers (CEO’s) [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2010, 12:53
is it E?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 21 Dec 2009
Posts: 268
Location: India
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 25

Re: The average age of chief executive officers (CEO’s) [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2010, 13:15
OA is
[Reveal] Spoiler:
C


But I need the logic myself. I choose wrong answer myself.
_________________

Cheers,
SD

2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 21 Dec 2009
Posts: 268
Location: India
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 72 [2] , given: 25

Re: The average age of chief executive officers (CEO’s) [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2010, 13:35
2
This post received
KUDOS
SudiptoGmat wrote:
The average age of chief executive officers (CEO’s) in a large sample of companies is 57. The average age of CEO’s in those same companies 20 years ago was approximately eight years younger. On the basis of those data, it can be concluded that CEO’s in general tend to be older now.
Which of the following casts the most doubt on the conclusion drawn above?
(A) The dates when the CEO’s assumed their current positions have not been specified. ---> Doesnt matter
(B) No information is given concerning the average number of years that CEO’s remain in office. ---> What if some CEO assumed the rank after 60 or 40 and stayed for 1/10 year?? Not strong enough
(C) The information is based only on companies that have been operating for at least 20 years.
(D) Only approximate information is given concerning the average age of the CEO’s 20 years ago. --> Clearly out
(E) Information concerning the exact number of companies in the sample has not been given. --> Clearly out

_________________

Cheers,
SD

6 KUDOS received
Tuck Thread Master
User avatar
Joined: 20 Aug 2009
Posts: 312
Location: Tbilisi, Georgia
Schools: Stanford (in), Tuck (WL), Wharton (ding), Cornell (in)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 93 [6] , given: 69

Re: The average age of chief executive officers (CEO’s) [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2010, 14:36
6
This post received
KUDOS
You have to show that in fact CEOs aren't getting older. Good way to do it is to attack the evidence - that is the survey of 57 companies. Maybe these companies are not representative of market in general, so we cannot deduce the general trend based solely on these companies.

(C) does exactly the same - if the survey includes only the companies with history of 20 years or more, it cannot be representative of all companies and cannot describe general trend.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 21 Dec 2009
Posts: 268
Location: India
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 25

Re: The average age of chief executive officers (CEO’s) [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2010, 16:07
Thanks buddy for such a good explanation
_________________

Cheers,
SD

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 14 Jan 2010
Posts: 26
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: The average age of chief executive officers (CEO’s) [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2010, 06:56
agree with the above

E could have been a strong contender if there were no such words like "large sample" in the 1st sentence and "those same companies" in the 2nd

thanks
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 Apr 2010
Posts: 48
Location: Mumbai
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: The average age of chief executive officers (CEO’s) [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2010, 18:32
the word 'general' should trigger that data for 57 companies cannot be generalised and hence option C is correct.
_________________

Consider kudos for good explanations.

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 Feb 2010
Posts: 162
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 101

Re: The average age of chief executive officers (CEO’s) [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2010, 22:51
its c
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 22 Jun 2010
Posts: 212
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 12

Re: The average age of chief executive officers (CEO’s) [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2010, 00:14
good question, C makes sense
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 08 Sep 2010
Posts: 236
Location: India
WE 1: 6 Year, Telecom(GSM)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 21

Re: The average age of chief executive officers (CEO’s) [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2010, 02:23
Got it right but i had solved it earlier too.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 25 Feb 2010
Posts: 459
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 5

Re: The average age of chief executive officers (CEO’s) [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2010, 09:33
I was between B and C and choose the wrong one.
_________________

GGG (Gym / GMAT / Girl) -- Be Serious

Its your duty to post OA afterwards; some one must be waiting for that...

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 31 Mar 2010
Posts: 415
Location: Europe
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 26

Re: The average age of chief executive officers (CEO’s) [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2010, 10:42
I chose C.

shalva wrote:
You have to show that in fact CEOs aren't getting older.

Be careful, you missed a few words. They actually get older in these surveyed companies, but the conclusion talks about "in general".

The trick as you stated is to attack the evidence, and show that the data is flawed.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 15 Apr 2010
Posts: 170
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 3

Re: The average age of chief executive officers (CEO’s) [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2010, 12:30
Fell for B :(

Should be careful when conclusions are drawn on the basis of some data... :(
Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
User avatar
Status: Preparing for the another shot...!
Joined: 03 Feb 2011
Posts: 1425
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 129

Kudos [?]: 644 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: The average age of chief executive officers (CEO s) in a [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2012, 20:45
Expert's post
Why can't the answer be a? Suppose a CEO was assigned to current designation several years ago, then one cannot say that he took this position when he was old.
IMO both a and c are top contenders.
Please correct me if I am wrong
_________________

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 4876
Location: Pune, India
Followers: 1152

Kudos [?]: 5354 [2] , given: 165

Re: The average age of chief executive officers (CEO s) in a [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2012, 21:15
2
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
siddharthasingh wrote:
Why can't the answer be a? Suppose a CEO was assigned to current designation several years ago, then one cannot say that he took this position when he was old.
IMO both a and c are top contenders.
Please correct me if I am wrong


Even if there are many such cases (the CEO has been the same for the last 20 yrs), it still doesn't weaken our conclusion. Our conclusion is that CEO’s in general tend to be older now. It doesn't matter why the CEOs are older now. The conclusion says that they are older and that's true even if the CEOs have grown old while on the CEO chair.

On the other hand, option (C) says that the conclusion is being drawn on a sample of a particular type of companies. This means you cannot generalize whatever you observe in the sample. Hence it weakens our conclusion that CEO’s in general tend to be older now.
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
User avatar
Status: Preparing for the another shot...!
Joined: 03 Feb 2011
Posts: 1425
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 129

Kudos [?]: 644 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: The average age of chief executive officers (CEO s) in a [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2012, 21:37
Expert's post
Doesn't the premise means that companies are appointing older CEOs now? If yes, then a surely weakens the argument.
_________________

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 4876
Location: Pune, India
Followers: 1152

Kudos [?]: 5354 [0], given: 165

Re: The average age of chief executive officers (CEO s) in a [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2012, 21:43
Expert's post
siddharthasingh wrote:
Doesn't the premise means that companies are appointing older CEOs now? If yes, then a surely weakens the argument.


No. The argument only says that CEOs tend to be older now. It is not the same as 'companies are appointing older CEOs now.'
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
User avatar
Status: Preparing for the another shot...!
Joined: 03 Feb 2011
Posts: 1425
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 129

Kudos [?]: 644 [1] , given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: The average age of chief executive officers (CEO s) in a [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2012, 21:58
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Then I agree with C, but I still feel A is a contender.
My explanation: Suppose the survey companies analyse the age of CEOs.The sample consists of 100 CEOs among whom 80 were made the CEO at the age of 45. Now these CEOs are now aged 57, but still can you say that now a days CEOs are getting older. Obviously not!
_________________

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 4876
Location: Pune, India
Followers: 1152

Kudos [?]: 5354 [2] , given: 165

Re: The average age of chief executive officers (CEO s) in a [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2012, 22:18
2
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
siddharthasingh wrote:
Then I agree with C, but I still feel A is a contender.
My explanation: Suppose the survey companies analyse the age of CEOs.The sample consists of 100 CEOs among whom 80 were made the CEO at the age of 45. Now these CEOs are now aged 57, but still can you say that now a days CEOs are getting older. Obviously not!


We are talking about 2 points in time. 20 yrs back the avg age was 40. Today the avg age is 60. The CEOs are definitely getting older. The point is not why they are getting older. The company has retained a 60 yr old for the top position. It has not brought in a young gun. They have the freedom to bring in a new guy whenever they desire. It doesn't matter why the company has retained the old guy - his experience or his performance whatever. What matters is that at this point, its CEO is a 60 yr old and the company is fine with it. It is not a lifetime position awarded to the CEOs. If, on average, the companies are happy with the older lot, it means the CEOs are getting older now.
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: The average age of chief executive officers (CEO s) in a   [#permalink] 03 Oct 2012, 22:18
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
3 The average age of chief executive officers (CEO s) in a brothers 9 01 Dec 2009, 08:42
The average age of chief executive officers (CEO s) in a spriya 15 24 Jul 2008, 09:01
8 The average age of chief executive officers (CEOs) in a sebycb976 8 04 Jun 2008, 19:28
The average age of chief executive officers (CEO s) in a rahulraao 8 14 Sep 2005, 18:34
The average age of chief executive officers (CEO s) in a sonaketu 4 20 Mar 2005, 03:02
Display posts from previous: Sort by

The average age of chief executive officers (CEO s) in a

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 30 posts ] 



cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.