Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 03:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The average age of chief executive officers in a large

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
Re: Cr [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2011, 18:53
C
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.54
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 23

Re: The average age of chief executive officers in a large [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2012, 05:52
C strengthens the conclusion. The sample should be the same and should consist of companies which have been in business for at least 20 years; otherwise, how could any conclusion be drawn ?

I would pick A.

Please indicate the source.
Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 284

Kudos [?]: 434 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: The average age of chief executive officers in a large [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2012, 14:30
Expert's post
@imadkho,

The question is asking us which of the following would cast the most doubt on the conclusion. The conclusion of course rests on the sample size, so when you ask how the argument can draw a valid conclusion, that's the whole point: the argument cannot make a valid conclusion.

Specifically, when it makes its conclusion regarding companies today, it fails to take into account those companies that weren't around 20 years ago. Therefore, the conclusion cannot be valid. (C) speaks to this.

(A) only talks about starting dates. We do not care when CEOs started, but old they are now. So even if a CEO started 20 years ago, he/she could still only be 45 years-old vs. one who started yesterday at a startup but is 60 years old (assuming start ups still employ someone who is 60 :))

Christopher Lele
Magoosh Test Prep

Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.08

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 104

Re: The average age of chief executive officers in a large [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2012, 21:15
I answer B, but it was clearly C. I appreciated your explanation firasath.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 31

Re: The average age of chief executive officers in a large [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2012, 21:58
gud question,However, fell for A

Practice Practice and practice...!!

If my reply /analysis is helpful-->please press KUDOS
If there's a loophole in my analysis--> suggest measures to make it airtight.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 6

Re: The average age of chief executive officers in a large [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2012, 22:42
IMO C.......... but fell in trap of answer B .......
Manager
Manager
Status: I will not stop until i realise my goal which is my dream too
Schools: Johnson '15
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: The average age of chief executive officers in a large [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2012, 05:59
suyashjhawar wrote:
The average age of chief executive officers in a large sample of companies is 57.The average age of CEO's in those same companies 20 years ago was approximately eight years younger. On the basis of those data, it can be concluded that CEO's in general tend to be older now.

Which of the following casts the most doubt on the conclusion drawn above?

(A) The dates when the CEO's assumed their current positions have not been specified.
(B) No information is given concerning the avg no of years that CEO's remain in office.
(C) The information is based only on companies that have been operating for at least 20 years.
(D) Only approximate information is given concerning the avg age of the CEO's 20 years ago.
(E) Information concerning the exact number of companies in the sample has not been given.

Needed your views.Came down to two but then not confident.

i go with C..

because the comparison done is "The average age of CEO's in those same companies 20 years ago was approximately eight years younger. " which clearly tells that SAMPLE does not include new companies less than <20yrs...hence they are generalizing the CEO age...

Only C questions this assumption.

Regards,
Harsha

Note: Give me kudos if my approach is right , else help me understand where i am missing.. I want to bell the GMAT Cat ;)

Satyameva Jayate - Truth alone triumphs

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 112

Kudos [?]: 1096 [0], given: 118

Re: The average age of chief executive officers in a large [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 16:56
suyashjhawar wrote:
The average age of chief executive officers in a large sample of companies is 57.The average age of CEO's in those same companies 20 years ago was approximately eight years younger. On the basis of those data, it can be concluded that CEO's in general tend to be older now.

(A) The dates when the CEO's assumed their current positions have not been specified.
(B) No information is given concerning the avg no of years that CEO's remain in office.
(C) The information is based only on companies that have been operating for at least 20 years.
(D) Only approximate information is given concerning the avg age of the CEO's 20 years ago.
(E) Information concerning the exact number of companies in the sample has not been given.

Needed your views.Came down to two but then not confident.

Very good question in term of statistic logic. C is correct.

What's wrong if the sample does not represent characteristics of the whole group.
Premise 1: the average age of CEOs of the companies 20 years ago was 49 (57 - 8).
Premise 2: the average age of CEOs of the same companies is 57 now.
Conclusion: Average age of CEOS in general is older

Wrong sampling technique because the companies that were chosen do not represent characteristics of the whole group. For instance, new established companies (less than 20 years old) often have young CEOs.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 37

Re: The average age of chief executive officers in a large [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 10:36
Answer E is strong enough IMO. The conclusion is that based on the sample of companies, CEOs are older now. However, we dont kniw the exact size of the sample. What if the sample consists of only two companies but the conclusion generalizes about all companies ?

Very poor question
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 4

Re: Cr [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2013, 03:11
bschool83 wrote:
Great question.

Paraphrasing the question:
e: avg age of ceo of a sample of companies = 57
avg. age of ceo of the same sample of companies 20 years ago ~ 49
c: therefore, ceo's tend to be older now

assumption: only companies that are 20 or more years old are in the group

since the assumption is only a subset of a larger set of companies, it cannot be used to generalize a statement. Hence I picked C.

I have a serious confusion. Everyone here believes that the restriction given in option C poses a doubt and hence is the right answer. But when the question clearly mentions that ' The average age of CEO’s in those same companies 20 years ago was approximately eight years younger. ', how can consider this a case of subset of a larger set of companies? :cry: I assume that the statement means that same number of companies were accounted for in both the cases! Pl correct me if my understanding is wrong.
Intern
Intern
Schools: ISB

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 13

CAT Tests
Re: Cr [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2014, 18:00
firasath wrote:
suyashjhawar wrote:
The average age of chief executive officers in a large sample of companies is 57.The average age of CEO's in those same companies 20 years ago was approximately eight years younger. On the basis of those data,it can be concluded that CEO's in general tend to be older now.

It helps to give the reasons why you eliminated the wrong answers....

The data represents the average age of CEO of the companies in the sample. It doesn't matter when they took their positions, just that they are the current CEOs.

Again, the data is comparing ages of CEOs today (current CEO) vs. the age of the CEO 20 years ago, whoever it was. It doesn't matter how long they've been in office.

The data sample is limited to only 20+ year old companies... This should give you a clue that a limited sample cannot be the basis for a wide generalization such as the conclusion of the stimulus. This is the answer.

The approximations of the data doesn't really change the data, one set is higher and one is lower.

if the data sample was from all of the fortune 1000 companies vs. only 10 companies, the data would reflect a more accurate representation. This point could weaken the conclusion slightly. However, C is a stronger argument.

I go with C too...but i would put the following as the reason for eliminating option E.
Explanation: In the beginning the author puts it as " a large sample of companies" and then later in the following sentence as " in those same companies". So the information regarding the exact number of companies doesnt really matter as the comparison is being done for the same group of companies.

Correct me if am wrong.
Thanks.

Re: Cr   [#permalink] 06 Mar 2014, 18:00