Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 07:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The average age of chief executive officers in a large

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 59 [1] , given: 66

The average age of chief executive officers in a large [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2009, 18:28
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

43% (02:03) correct 57% (01:04) wrong based on 553 sessions
The average age of chief executive officers in a large sample of companies is 57.The average age of CEO's in those same companies 20 years ago was approximately eight years younger. On the basis of those data, it can be concluded that CEO's in general tend to be older now.

Which of the following casts the most doubt on the conclusion drawn above?

(A) The dates when the CEO's assumed their current positions have not been specified.
(B) No information is given concerning the avg no of years that CEO's remain in office.
(C) The information is based only on companies that have been operating for at least 20 years.
(D) Only approximate information is given concerning the avg age of the CEO's 20 years ago.
(E) Information concerning the exact number of companies in the sample has not been given.

Needed your views.Came down to two but then not confident.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Kellogg (R1 Dinged),Cornell (R2), Emory(Interview Scheduled), IESE (R1 Interviewed), ISB (Interviewed), LBS (R2), Vanderbilt (R3 Interviewed)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 76 [1] , given: 10

Re: Cr [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2009, 22:32
This post received
KUDOS
a)The dates when the CEO's assumed their current positions have not been specified.

IMO A, this undermines the conslusion
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 66

Re: Cr [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2009, 19:20
I came down to C and E.Went for C.But not sure.Any comments friends?
Current Student
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 1

Re: Cr [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2009, 19:54
I feel C.

Since data collected is for the companies that exist for at least 20 yrs. So, it might be possible that few of these companies CEOs might have continued. We need to include more data to get idea about companies that are new to get idea about new trend.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 186 [0], given: 0

Re: Cr [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2009, 23:32
C. Conclusion is generalization based only on data from companies that have been in the sample.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 1

Re: Cr [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2009, 02:32
IMO C

Same explanation as scthakur
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 66

Re: Cr [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2009, 07:33
Oa is C.thanks for the explanation.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 2

Re: Cr [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2010, 07:46
suyashjhawar wrote:
The average age of chief executive officers in a large sample of companies is 57.The average age of CEO's in those same companies 20 years ago was approximately eight years younger. On the basis of those data,it can be concluded that CEO's in general tend to be older now.

(A) The dates when the CEO's assumed their current positions have not been specified.
(B) No information is given concerning the avg no of years that CEO's remain in office.
(C) The information is based only on companies that have been operating for at least 20 years.
(D) Only approximate information is given concerning the avg age of the CEO's 20 years ago.
(E) Information concerning the exact number of companies in the sample has not been given.

[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
C

Needed your views.Came down to two but then not confident.

Its C. As per question stmt the sample is same companies 20 years ago which could represent smaller set 20 years ago so may not represent the true picture.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 1

Re: Cr [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2010, 14:49
C is correct
9 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 51 [9] , given: 16

Re: Cr [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2010, 15:53
This post received
KUDOS
[quote="suyashjhawar"]The average age of chief executive officers in a large sample of companies is 57.The average age of CEO's in those same companies 20 years ago was approximately eight years younger. On the basis of those data,it can be concluded that CEO's in general tend to be older now.

It helps to give the reasons why you eliminated the wrong answers....

The data represents the average age of CEO of the companies in the sample. It doesn't matter when they took their positions, just that they are the current CEOs.

Again, the data is comparing ages of CEOs today (current CEO) vs. the age of the CEO 20 years ago, whoever it was. It doesn't matter how long they've been in office.

The data sample is limited to only 20+ year old companies... This should give you a clue that a limited sample cannot be the basis for a wide generalization such as the conclusion of the stimulus. This is the answer.

The approximations of the data doesn't really change the data, one set is higher and one is lower.

if the data sample was from all of the fortune 1000 companies vs. only 10 companies, the data would reflect a more accurate representation. This point could weaken the conclusion slightly. However, C is a stronger argument.

If you like my post, a kudos is always appreciated ;)

Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 291 [0], given: 20

Re: Cr [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2010, 05:35
The scope of the data is limited to that of companies operating 20 years ago. The result is
a generalization that does not necessarily represent the true picture of the other companies.
Ages of CEO's in X, Y, Z companies 20yrs ago; Ages of CEO's in same company now.

Sure misrepresentation.

The correct response should be C

KUDOS me if you feel my contribution has helped you.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 111 [0], given: 13

Reviews Badge
Re: Cr [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2010, 09:30
C is the answer. The companies taken into account are those only which are there for past 20 years. That actually negates the conclusion drawn from the data.

My debrief: done-and-dusted-730-q49-v40

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 44

Re: Cr [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2010, 14:48
C
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Re: Cr [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2010, 23:36
My answer is C.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Cr [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2011, 06:42
+1 for C
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Cr [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2011, 18:30
I am struggling between C and E. i find a post saying that C is a stronger argument than E. I want to know why C is stronger? thanks for replying.
Manager
Manager
Status: A continuous journey of self-improvement is essential for every person -Socrates

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 14

Re: Cr [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2011, 22:19
lidong123 wrote:
I am struggling between C and E. i find a post saying that C is a stronger argument than E. I want to know why C is stronger? thanks for replying.

I think, answer E is wrong because it is given that to calculate the average at both the time i.e now and 20 years before, we have taken same number of companies. So, till the time we are comparing same number of companies, we can compare the two averages irrespective of total number of companies used to calculate the average. But in option C it is case of generalization. Author has concluded “CEO's in general tend to be older now” based on data from few companies that are operating from past 20 years. Author conclusion will be correct if he concludes, “CEO's in [strike]general[/strike] these companies tend to be older now.”
Manager
Manager
Status: A continuous journey of self-improvement is essential for every person -Socrates

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 14

Re: Cr [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2011, 22:22
+1 for you firasath. Nice explantion, but I am not convinced with your explanation of option E. I have tried explaining that, please give your comments.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 97 [0], given: 37

Re: Cr [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2011, 18:42
C for me.

Since the survey was conducted on the same set of companies it can't be representative of the set of all companies.

Crick
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 8

Re: Cr [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2011, 19:22
Great question.

Paraphrasing the question:
e: avg age of ceo of a sample of companies = 57
avg. age of ceo of the same sample of companies 20 years ago ~ 49
c: therefore, ceo's tend to be older now

assumption: only companies that are 20 or more years old are in the group

since the assumption is only a subset of a larger set of companies, it cannot be used to generalize a statement. Hence I picked C.

Re: Cr   [#permalink] 02 Jul 2011, 19:22