Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 03:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The average hourly wage of television assemblers in Vernland

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 0

The average hourly wage of television assemblers in Vernland [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2004, 17:19
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
The average hourly wage of television assemblers in Vernland has long been significantly lower than that in neighboring Borodia. Since Borodia dropped all tariffs on Vernlandian televisions three years ago, the number of televisions sold annually in Borodia has not changed. However, recent statistics show a drop in the number of television assemblers in Borodia. Therefore, updated trade statistics will probably indicate that the number of televisions Borodia imports annually from Vernland has increased.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

A. The number of television assemblers in Vernland has increased by at least as much as the number of television assemblers in Borodia has decreased.
B. Televisions assembled in Vernland have features that televisions assembled in Borodia do not have.
C. The average number of hours it takes a Borodian television assembler to assemble a television has not decreased significantly during the past three years.
D. The number of televisions assembled annually in Vernland has increased significantly during the past three years.
E. The difference between the hourly wage of television assemblers in Vernland and the hourly wage of television assemblers in Borodia is likely to decrease in the next few years.
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2007, 18:39
IMO C

Because, if the efficiency of Borodia's workers has not increased, then with less workers, less TVs will be made by Borodia. Therefore, if people in borodia continue to buy TVs at the same rate as previous years, they will have to buy more imported TVs.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2007, 19:32
gmatnub wrote:
IMO C

Because, if the efficiency of Borodia's workers has not increased, then with less workers, less TVs will be made by Borodia. Therefore, if people in borodia continue to buy TVs at the same rate as previous years, they will have to buy more imported TVs.

C states that efficient has not decreased, but you are assuming it has not increased. I think C is out.

I pick A - Ver has increased the production by as much as Bor has decreased.
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2007, 21:20
Path wrote:
gmatnub wrote:
IMO C

C states that efficient has not decreased, but you are assuming it has not increased. I think C is out.

You need to re-read C. It states that the "time/hours" that it takes to assemble TVs has not decreased, meaning that they still take the same amount of time to assemble TVs as previous years ----> their productivity has not increased.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 185 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - SET 23 Q3 [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2007, 22:09
singh_amit19 wrote:
The average hourly wage of television assemblers in Vernland has long been significantly lower than that in neighboring Borodia. Since Borodia dropped all tariffs on Vernlandian televisions three years ago, the number of televisions sold annually in Borodia has not changed. However, recent statistics show a droip in the number of television assemblers in Borodia. Therefore, updated trade statistics will probably indicate that the number of televisions Borodia imports annually from Vernland has increased.

A. The number of television assemblers in Vernland has increased by at least as much as the number of television assemblers in Borodia has decreased.
B. Televisions assembled in Vernland have features that televisions assembled in Borodia do not have.
C. The average number of hours it takes a Borodian television assembler to assemble a television has not decreased significantly during the past three years.
D. The number of televisions assembled annually in Vernland has increased significantly during the past three years.
E. The difference between the hourly wage of television assemblers in Vernland and the hourly wage of television assemblers in Borodia is likely to decrease in the next few years.

Debated over A & D....finally I picked D....views with explanations are invited!

Wow this is tough for me. I say A. I really don't know though. I have it down to A and C. Just have to pick an answer.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2007, 07:23
gmatnub wrote:
Path wrote:
gmatnub wrote:
IMO C

You need to re-read C. It states that the "time/hours" that it takes to assemble TVs has not decreased, meaning that they still take the same amount of time to assemble TVs as previous years ----> their productivity has not increased.

You are right about the efficiency.

One question - now I think C proves that Borodia has to import more tv, but how do we support that Vernland is producing more tv? may be Borodia could import from some other country if Vernland is not producing more tv.
May be I am going too far from the argument.
VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2007, 07:49
Path wrote:
gmatnub wrote:
Path wrote:
gmatnub wrote:
IMO C

You are right about the efficiency.

One question - now I think C proves that Borodia has to import more tv, but how do we support that Vernland is producing more tv? may be Borodia could import from some other country if Vernland is not producing more tv.
May be I am going too far from the argument.

Good discussion here...And good job GMATNUB.

I agree with C -

The argument says more tv are now being imported from Vernland. To Path's point - yes it could be Vernland or another country - however the particular country is NOT the point at issue.

We need to imagine a situation in which despite the fact that Borodia has fewer assemblers, it's still able to service the number of TV units requirements without having to resort to import (from Vernland or any other country) - This is possible only if the efficiency or time required to produce a Unit decreases per Assembler. If this happens then this would leave open a possibility for Borodia to be self sufficient. Hence this must be assumed if we are to conclude that Borodia is indeed importing from Vernland (or for that matter any other country - Vernland is just coincidental).
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2007, 10:05
Guys ,

I got C on my own w/o looking answers posted here.

But that was after staring at the CR diagram I had created for few min.
There's something abt CR and assumptions that I do not seem to get.

Please help me how I can answer CRs quickly. Abt to give GMAT in 3 weeks.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 91 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
CR-television [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2008, 17:22
The average hourly wage of television assemblers in Vernland has long been significantly
lower than that in neighboring Borodia. Since Borodia dropped all tariffs on Vernlandian
televisions three years ago, the number of televisions sold annually in Borodia has not
changed. However, recent statistics show a droip in the number of television assemblers
in Borodia. Therefore, updated trade statistics will probably indicate that the number of
televisions Borodia imports annually from Vernland has increased.
A. The number of television assemblers in Vernland has increased by at least as
much as the number of television assemblers in Borodia has decreased.
B. Televisions assembled in Vernland have features that televisions assembled in
Borodia do not have.
C. The average number of hours it takes a Borodian television assembler to assemble
a television has not decreased significantly during the past three years.
D. The number of televisions assembled annually in Vernland has increased
significantly during the past three years.
E. The difference between the hourly wage of television assemblers in Vernland and
the hourly wage of television assemblers in Borodia is likely to decrease in the
next few years.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 430 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-television [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2008, 22:07
Going for C.
saravalli wrote:
The average hourly wage of television assemblers in Vernland has long been significantly lower than that in neighboring Borodia. Since Borodia dropped all tariffs on Vernlandian televisions three years ago, the number of televisions sold annually in Borodia has not changed. However, recent statistics show a drop in the number of television assemblers in Borodia. Therefore, updated trade statistics will probably indicate that the number of televisions Borodia imports annually from Vernland has increased.

A. The number of television assemblers in Vernland has increased by at least as much as the number of television assemblers in Borodia has decreased. [perhaps too far fetched smells like a trap]

B. Televisions assembled in Vernland have features that televisions assembled in Borodia do not have. irrelevant

D. The number of televisions assembled annually in Vernland has increased significantly during the past three years. this will weaken the arguement

E. The difference between the hourly wage of television assemblers in Vernland and the hourly wage of television assemblers in Borodia is likely to decrease in the next few years. nope
2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 28 [2] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
CR:television assemblers [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2008, 10:04
This post received
KUDOS
I need help with this CR , I don't get the reason behind correct answer . I know the answer already , so some explanation with your replies will be helpful

The average hourly wage of television assemblers in Vernland has long been significantly
lower than that in neighboring Borodia. Since Borodia dropped all tariffs on Vernlandian
televisions three years ago, the number of televisions sold annually in Borodia has not
changed. However, recent statistics show a droip in the number of television assemblers
in Borodia. Therefore, updated trade statistics will probably indicate that the number of

A. The number of television assemblers in Vernland has increased by at least as
much as the number of television assemblers in Borodia has decreased.
B. Televisions assembled in Vernland have features that televisions assembled in
Borodia do not have.
C. The average number of hours it takes a Borodian television assembler to assemble
E. The difference between the hourly wage of television assemblers in Vernland and
the hourly wage of television assemblers in Borodia is likely to decrease in the
next few years.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR:television assemblers [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2008, 10:20
Well its one of the most toughest CR i have seen. +1 to you.
My Pick is C
Premise1: However, recent statistics show a drop in the number of television assemblers
in Borodia.
Concluson: Therefore, updated trade statistics will probably indicate that the number of

Recently I have learned for assumption questions, focus on premise. Now lets use negate theory to find the answers. Only C and D are relevant.
If this is not true then conclusion will fail but still premise will hold true.
C.The average number of hours it takes a Borodian television assembler to assemble
If this is not true then both premise and conclusion will fail. Hence my Pick.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: CR:television assemblers [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2008, 19:52
Quote:

-if if it doesn't increase in the same proportion..how does it matter? - incorrect.
- also there may be features that Borodia televisions have but vernland tv's dont. - incorrect.
-even if it has decreased significantly how does it impact the imports of televisions ? rather imports of unassembled parts(that is if they are imported) should increase if the time taken for assembly has reduced.
televisions imports might depend on conditions other than just the cost of assembling.
-if we negate this - we directly impact the conclusion
E. The difference between the hourly wage of television assemblers in Vernland and the hourly wage of television assemblers in Borodia is likely to decrease in then next few years.
-irrelevant
IMO D is correct.
Tough one I agree. +1 rpmodi.
What's the OA ?
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 172 [1] , given: 10

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: CR:television assemblers [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2008, 17:42
This post received
KUDOS

Given:
1.wages V < wages B
2.Borodia dropped all tariffs on Vernlandian
televisions -> cheaper to import
3.the number of televisions sold annually in Borodia has not
changed
4.droip in the number of television assemblers
in Borodia
5.statistics will probably indicate that the number of
televisions Borodia imports annually from Vernland has increased

From the above 5 points we can deduce that - there is still a market for televisions in B, but the manufacturing has dropped and imports have increased.Its profitable to import TVs from V than manufacture in B. This is possible only 1.Wage/hr have not increased in V 2. Time taken to assembl ehas not increased

C fits teh bill
Director
Director
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 150 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR:television assemblers [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2008, 03:04
Great question. I agree with C.

Premise: However, recent statistics show a droip in the number of television assemblers
in Borodia.
Conclusion: Therefore, updated trade statistics will probably indicate that the number of

Premise is saying TV assemblers show drop, but the author conlcudes saying number of tv from Vernlnard will increase. The author should be assuming that productivity of Borodian assemblers did not materially increase. C is stating this.
Intern
Intern

CR question ,please help me [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2009, 20:18
The average hourly wage of television assemblers in Vernland has long been significantly lower than that in neighboring Borodia. Since Borodia dropped all tariffs on Vernlandian televisions three years ago, the number of televisions sold annually in Borodia has not changed. However, recent statistics show a drop in the number of television assemblers in Borodia. Therefore, updated trade statistics will probably indicate that the number of televisions Borodia imports annually from Vernland has increasedWhich of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?
E. The difference between the hourly wage of television assemblers in Vernland and the hourly wage of television assemblers in Borodia is likely to decrease in the next few years

OA: C,I do not understand, please help me . thanks!!
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 187 [1] , given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR question ,please help me [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2009, 20:43
This post received
KUDOS
First of all please do not post OA immediately. Give us a chance to try, mate.

Facts are:
1) Wage is lower in Vernland than Borodia
2) NO tax on imported TV from Vernland
3) Number of assemblers has decreased @ Borodia
Outcome is: STILL TV sales at Borodia are not hampered.

Conclusion: Only way it can happen if import has increased significantly.

Assumption: But what if average number to assemble a TV has decreased drastically? So less assembler could still assemble same number of TV.

– Not required essentially
– Out of scope
- True
-- Same kind of statement like A’s.
E. The difference between the hourly wage of television assemblers in Vernland and the hourly wage of television assemblers in Borodia is likely to decrease in the next few years
-- Future aspect is OOS

If You're Not Living On The Edge, You're Taking Up Too Much Space

Last edited by priyankur_saha@ml.com on 09 Mar 2009, 20:46, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern

Re: CR question ,please help me [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2009, 20:56
HI,priyankur_saha@ml.com,thank you so much for helping me ,ur anaysis is so clear, I got it .I am really bad at CR question , maybe cz my way to thinking?? but I will not give up. can you give me some suggestion how to study the CR parts? and what kind of materials u use? I just did the OG11, and these days I start to try some GWD
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 34 [1] , given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Television Assemblers [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2009, 12:28
This post received
KUDOS
The average hourly wage of television assemblers in Vernland has long been significantly lower than that in neighboring Borodia. Since Borodia dropped all tariffs on Vernlandian televisions three years ago, the number of televisions sold annually in Borodia has not changed. However, recent statistics show a droip in the number of television assemblers in Borodia. Therefore, updated trade statistics will probably indicate that the number of

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [1] , given: 5

Re: Television Assemblers [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2009, 19:00
This post received
KUDOS
Is it [C] because if the # of hours it takes assemblers in Borodia has decreased, then fewer assemblers would be needed to assemble the same # of TV's as 3 years prior. Hence it must be assumed that this is not the case.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Television Assemblers [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2009, 21:39
The conclusion says that the number television imported annually has increased. In that case, how does having few assemblers help in assembling the increasing number of TVs imported. Btw how about option [D]??
Re: Television Assemblers   [#permalink] 11 Oct 2009, 21:39