Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Oct 2014, 23:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The average hourly wage of television assemblers in Vernland

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 0

The average hourly wage of television assemblers in Vernland [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2004, 17:19
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
The average hourly wage of television assemblers in Vernland has long been significantly lower than that in neighboring Borodia. Since Borodia dropped all tariffs on Vernlandian televisions three years ago, the number of televisions sold annually in Borodia has not changed. However, recent statistics show a drop in the number of television assemblers in Borodia. Therefore, updated trade statistics will probably indicate that the number of televisions Borodia imports annually from Vernland has increased.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

A. The number of television assemblers in Vernland has increased by at least as much as the number of television assemblers in Borodia has decreased.
B. Televisions assembled in Vernland have features that televisions assembled in Borodia do not have.
C. The average number of hours it takes a Borodian television assembler to assemble a television has not decreased significantly during the past three years.
D. The number of televisions assembled annually in Vernland has increased significantly during the past three years.
E. The difference between the hourly wage of television assemblers in Vernland and the hourly wage of television assemblers in Borodia is likely to decrease in the next few years.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 0

Re: Television Assemblers [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2009, 00:21
This post received
KUDOS
i think it's (C). If number of televisions sold in Borodia has not changed, and the number of assemblers decreased in Boradia, it could mean that the number of hours assemblers spend to make a television decreased, not necessarily the import from Vernland increased. But since the author is saying that the it's the increase of import, it's assumed that the number of hours assemblers spend to make a television in Borodia has not decreased.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 25

Re: CR-television [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2009, 03:38
Facts
1) Avg wage of Vernland workers is lower than Borodian workers
2) No import tariffs on Vernland TVs in Borodia
3) Number of Televisions sold in Borodia is constant, but there has been a drop in the number of television assemblers

Conclusion – No. of Imported Vernland TV sets would increase in Borodia.

There has to be a role played by the Borodian assemblers. If the remaining Borodian assemblers were to make TVs faster than they had been making earlier then, the argument would fall apart as then Borodia wouldn’t require the additional services of Vernland assemblers and consequently TVs.

Only C expresses this relationship

B and E are out of scope
A and D are to irrelevant
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: LBS, INSEAD, IMD, ISB - Anything with just 1 yr program.
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 101 [0], given: 22

Re: CR-television [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2009, 06:54
mymba99 wrote:
The average hourly wage of television assemblers in Vernland has long been significantly
lower than that in neighboring Borodia. Since Borodia dropped all tariffs on Vernlandian
televisions three years ago, the number of televisions sold annually in Borodia has not
changed. However, recent statistics show a droip in the number of television assemblers
in Borodia. Therefore, updated trade statistics will probably indicate that the number of
televisions Borodia imports annually from Vernland has increased.
A. The number of television assemblers in Vernland has increased by at least as
much as the number of television assemblers in Borodia has decreased.
B. Televisions assembled in Vernland have features that televisions assembled in
Borodia do not have.
C. The average number of hours it takes a Borodian television assembler to assemble
a television has not decreased significantly during the past three years.
D. The number of televisions assembled annually in Vernland has increased
significantly during the past three years.
E. The difference between the hourly wage of television assemblers in Vernland and
the hourly wage of television assemblers in Borodia is likely to decrease in the
next few years.

Interesting question.

1) Avg wage for TV assemblers in Vernland is lower than for those in Borodia.
2) Borodia removed all import tariffs on Vernland TV sets.
3) Total number of TVs sold in Borodia has remained constant for three years.
4) Recent situation is that number of TV assemblers in Borodia has dropped.
5) So Borodia must be importing more from Vernland.

The cause and effect scenario straight goes to D. Though import tariffs are removed, it's not essential that Borodia must import a greater lot of Vernland TV sets. Borodia assemblers could be working harder and assembling more for the past three years that the number of TV sets sold in Borodia are constant. Now that number of TV assemblers in Borodia has dropped, it makes sense to understand that for the sales numbers to remain constant, more imports must have been happening. If more imports happen, Vernland must be assembling more in numbers. Only this could explain the gap between the cause and effect situations.

My choice is D, what's the OA?

I am AWESOME and it's gonna be LEGENDARY!!!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

Re: CR-television [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2009, 16:04
hi!

my answer is D.
whats the OA?
"Therefore, updated trade statistics will probably indicate that the number of
televisions Borodia imports annually from Vernland has increased."
I assume that if imports from vernland increase, that will be due to increase in the production of tv's in vernland.
please advice if this is wrong.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 8

Re: CR-television [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2010, 22:23
I opt for C as well. It's the only statement that's assumed. Options A and D are traps. B and E are irrelevant :-D
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 2

Re: Television Assemblers [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2010, 17:55
Conclusion has nothing to do with option D. Let's say that V is assembling 100 TV per year and B is importing 10.

After there is a droip in the number of television assemblers in B, B started importing 20 TV from V. However, still V is assembling 100 TV's. As per D # of TV assembled by V are increased significantly. let's say 200. It is not impacting conclusion in any way. Therefore, D is out of scope.

HTH!!!
abhi758 wrote:
The conclusion says that the number television imported annually has increased. In that case, how does having few assemblers help in assembling the increasing number of TVs imported. Btw how about option [D]??
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 29

Television assemblers [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2010, 07:35
The average hourly wage of television assemblers in Vernland has long been significantly lower than that in neighboring Borodia. Since Borodia dropped all tariffs on Vernlandian televisions three years ago, the number of televisions sold annually in Borodia has not changed. However, recent statistics show a droip in the number of television assemblers in Borodia. Therefore, updated trade statistics will probably indicate that the number of televisions Borodia imports annually from Vernland has increased.

B. Televisions assembled in Vernland have features that televisions assembled in
Borodia do not have.

C. The average number of hours it takes a Borodian television assembler to assemble

E. The difference between the hourly wage of television assemblers in Vernland and
the hourly wage of television assemblers in Borodia is likely to decrease in the
next few years.
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 4 years Software Product Development
WE 2: 3 years ERP Consulting
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 15

Re: Television assemblers [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2010, 10:16
IMO C. C explains that the possible reason for drop of Television Assemblers (TA) is not because of TA's increased efficiency. Increased efficiency would mean less Television Assemblers assembling more Televisions which inturn would imply that import from Vernland has not increased.

-AD

Concentration: Marketing, Other
GPA: 3.64
WE: Accounting (Accounting)

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 79043

CAT Tests
What is the difficulty level of this question? [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2011, 18:11
Hey guys this is my first post on the forum so if post something incorrectly or in the wrong spot please let me know. I would also like to say how impressed I am regarding the amount of quality material on this website and the ongoing participation from its members. I have just started studying for the GMAT and I look forward to using this resource in the days ahead. My question is regarding this problem: (I know what what the correct answer is but I was wondering what the difficulty level of this question was? Is this considered a fairly easy question or rather difficult one. I found it a bit challenging due to the amount of information in the passage.)

The average hourly wage of television assemblers in Vernland has long been significantly lower than that in neighboring Borodia. Since Borodia dropped all tariffs on Vernlandian televisions three years ago, the number of televisions sold annually in Borodia has not changed. However, recent statistics show a drop in the number of television assemblers in Borodia. Therefore, updated trade statistics will probably indicate that the number of televisions Borodia imports annually from Vernland has increased.

(A) The number of television assemblers in Vernland has increased by at least as much as the number of television assemblers in Borodia has decreased.
(B) Televisions assembled in Vernland have features that televisions in assembled in Borodia do not have.
(C) The average number of hours it takes a Borodian television assembler to assemble a television has not decreased significantly during the past three years.
(D) The number of televisions assembled annually in Vernland has increased significantly during the past three years.
(E) The difference between the hourly wage of television assemblers in Vernland and the hourly wage of television assemblers in Borodia is likely to decrease in the next three years.
GMAT Instructor
Followers: 264

Kudos [?]: 713 [0], given: 3

Re: What is the difficulty level of this question? [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2011, 19:02
The questions in the Official Guide proceed generally from easy to hard, so in general you can use that as a rough guideline. This question is near the end of the CR section, so it is among the more difficult ones in the book (and therefore representative of the more difficult CR questions that appear on the real test). It's certainly a denser passage than is typical, and I think it's much more difficult than in most CR questions, upon reading the stem alone, to know what answer to look for, so I would expect most people to find this question challenging. Still, the underlying logic has parallels with that in many other questions, so I think it's a worthwhile problem to study.

Nov 2011: After years of development, I am now making my advanced Quant books and high-level problem sets available for sale. Contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com for details.

Private GMAT Tutor based in Toronto

Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 51

Re: What is the difficulty level of this question? [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2011, 10:00
yes it is a good question . if the average no. of hours taken by borodian tv assemblers decreases , reduction in the number of assemblers may not reduce the no. of tv sets produced , so import may not increase. hence C

What is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

VP
VP
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 145 [0], given: 10

Re: Television assemblers [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2011, 21:34
even though the number of assemblers has reduced,the sales have not dropped.
This can be due to two things - average output has increased per person or imports have increased.

Since imports are supported in the argument,the other reason has to be nullified.

C does this.

Visit -- http://www.sustainable-sphere.com/
Promote Green Business,Sustainable Living and Green Earth !!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

A CR questions which has been discussed, but I need details [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2011, 00:27
The average hourly wage of television assemblers in Vernland has long been significantly
lower than that in neighboring Borodia. Since Borodia dropped all tariffs on Vernlandian
televisions three years ago, the number of televisions sold annually in Borodia has not
changed. However, recent statistics show a droip in the number of television assemblers
in Borodia. Therefore, updated trade statistics will probably indicate that the number of
televisions Borodia imports annually from Vernland has increased.
Borodia do not have.
next few years.

Well the OA is C, it is undoubtedly. But why C?

Is because the assemblers mean the people who assemble the imported Tv not the people who assemble the TV to be shiped out?

If the assembler here means people who assemble the imported TV then it's no question.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 13

Re: CR-Hourly wage of television assemblers in Vernland [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2011, 13:07
Why its C?

Even if we consider this conclusion, "However, recent statistics show a droip in the number of television assemblers in Borodia."

Answer choice C actually contradicts the conclusion, how can this be assumption?

But here in ans choice D Clearly satisfy the conclusion and premise

Conclusion

"Therefore, updated trade statistics will probably indicate that the number of televisions Borodia imports annually from Vernland has increased."

Premise 1:

"average hourly wage of television assemblers in Vernland has long been significantly lower than that in neighboring Borodia"

I find above explanation very unsatisfactory.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 6

Re: CR-Hourly wage of television assemblers in Vernland [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2011, 05:06
This post received
KUDOS
Good question.. C is correct..

The number of television sets sold in Borodia remains the same for three years.
Major difference between the three years as the stimulus states is that there is a decrease in the number of tv assemblers.

So in spite of the reduction in tv assemblers, the city still manages to sell the same number of tv sets. And the stimulus attributes the maintenance of the same number of tv sets sold in Borodia to the imports of tv sets from Vernland to fulfill the deficit created by loss of tv assemblers.

This conclusion can be arrived at provided the reduced tv assemblers do not speed up their work in assembling more tv sets than they generally do. Exactly this is what option C conveys. Hope this clarifies...

This is a defender type of assumption question!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 6

Re: CR-Hourly wage of television assemblers in Vernland [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2011, 22:13
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 95 [0], given: 2

The average hourly wage of television assemblers in Vernland [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2012, 06:38
The average hourly wage of television assemblers in Vernland has long been significantly lower than that in neighboring Borodia. Since Borodia dropped all tariffs on Vernlandian televisions three years ago, the number of televisions sold annually in Borodia has not changed. However, recent statistics show a droip in the number of television assemblers in Borodia. Therefore, updated trade statistics will probably indicate that the number of televisions Borodia imports annually from Vernland has increased.

A. The number of television assemblers in Vernland has increased by at least as much as the number of television assemblers in Borodia has decreased.
B. Televisions assembled in Vernland have features that televisions assembled in Borodia do not have.
C. The average number of hours it takes a Borodian television assembler to assemble a television has not decreased significantly during the past three years.
D. The number of televisions assembled annually in Vernland has increased significantly during the past three years.
E. The difference between the hourly wage of television assemblers in Vernland and the hourly wage of television assemblers in Borodia is likely to decrease in the next few years.
Can anybody tell me how to negate option A and explain each option in detail
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS '16
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GMAT 2: 670 Q42 V40
GPA: 3.47
WE: Corporate Finance (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 25

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: cr [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2012, 06:43
Quote:

Can anybody tell me how to negate option A and explain each option in detail

A. The number of television assemblers in Vernland has increased by at least as much as the number of television assemblers in Borodia has decreased. - we dont know anything about the process in Vernland vs Borodia (could be more or less automated

B. Televisions assembled in Vernland have features that televisions assembled in Borodia do not have. - irrelevant to this argument

C. The average number of hours it takes a Borodian television assembler to assemble a television has not decreased significantly during the past three years. - Hours could be reduced if Borodian manufacturers automated process more.. This is a key assumption and correct answer.

D. The number of televisions assembled annually in Vernland has increased significantly during the past three years. - not necessarily relevant.. could go up in Vernalnd because they export elsewhere etc.

E. The difference between the hourly wage of television assemblers in Vernland and the hourly wage of television assemblers in Borodia is likely to decrease in the next few years. - not a key assumption.. could be true if demand of assemblers goes up in Vernland and goes down in Borodia we would expect this.. but this takes thinigs too far and is out of scope.
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 68

Kudos [?]: 339 [0], given: 109

Re: cr [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2012, 12:07
+1 C

If the time required to produce a television in Borodia decreased, we couldn't be so sure that the sold televisions are imported.
Maybe the same number of televisions produced in Borodia are being assembled by fewer people, making the number of sold televisions constant in despite of having fewer assemblers.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Ross '17, Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 245 [0], given: 43

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: cr [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2012, 22:17
+1 C

This is an assumption question. We need to determine the factor leading to the conclusion. That is the productivity of assembler in B and V countries. So, our task is so simple, just find the answer in scope and try negating it to consider whether or not that answer attack the argument.

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Re: cr   [#permalink] 26 Mar 2012, 22:17