Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 10:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The average individual's cost of going into space is

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

The average individual's cost of going into space is [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2007, 14:19
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 2 sessions
The average individual's cost of going into space is estimated at a fraction of the price per economy ticket of transatlantic airplane travel by the end of 21st century.

(A) The average individual's cost of going into space is estimated at a fraction of the price per economy ticket of transatlantic airplane travel by the end of 21st century.
(B) The average individual's cost by the end of 21st century of going into space s estimated at a fraction of the price per economy ticket of transatlantic airplane travel.
(C) By the end of 21st century, the average individual's cost of going into space is estimated at a fraction of the price per economy ticket of transatlantic airplane travel.
(D) To go into space, the cost to the average individual is estimated at a fraction of the price per economy ticket of transatlantic airplane travel by the end of 21st century.
(E) It is estimated that by the end of 21st century the cost to the average individual of going into space will be a fraction of the current price per economy ticket of transatlantic airplane travel.

Please explain your answers, only saying my answer is BLAH does not help anyone :)
Manager
Manager
Schools: UCLA Anderson School of Mgmt (FEMBA Class of 2013)
WE 1: 7.5 years in Engg. Consulting
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2007, 16:18
My answer is C. I will come back and will give my justification.
VP
VP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2007, 16:28
I will go for E. the only thing i know is that ESTIMATED AT is not idiomatic and it should be Estimated to be which is not used in any of the choices. Only E makes a bit sense with It is estimated that...
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - Space Travel [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2007, 18:55
ontheway wrote:
The average individual's cost of going into space is estimated at a fraction of the price per economy ticket of transatlantic airplane travel by the end of 21st century.

(A) The average individual's cost of going into space is estimated at a fraction of the price per economy ticket of transatlantic airplane travel by the end of 21st century.
(B) The average individual's cost by the end of 21st century of going into space s estimated at a fraction of the price per economy ticket of transatlantic airplane travel.
(C) By the end of 21st century, the average individual's cost of going into space is estimated at a fraction of the price per economy ticket of transatlantic airplane travel.
(D) To go into space, the cost to the average individual is estimated at a fraction of the price per economy ticket of transatlantic airplane travel by the end of 21st century.
(E) It is estimated that by the end of 21st century the cost to the average individual of going into space will be a fraction of the current price per economy ticket of transatlantic airplane travel.

Please explain your answers, only saying my answer is BLAH does not help anyone :)

The adverbial phrase " By the end of 21st century" at the beginning of the sentence reduces the ambiguity.

I prefer C to E....
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2007, 21:12
will go with E...estimated at is unidiomatic...more over C can not be the rt answer as it gives the impression that the estimation it self was done at the end of the 21st century..
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - Space Travel [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2007, 04:49
ontheway wrote:

'Estimated at' is unidiomatic'. 'Estimated to be' is better though 'to be' is usually incorrect on GMAT.

Leaves only E.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2007, 10:59
I go with C.
I think E is incorrect because we can't write 'cost to' has to be 'cost of'
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - Space Travel [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2007, 11:38
I am going with C.

E is too wordy... the cost to the average individual can easily be replaced by the average individual's cost.

According to Manhattan GMAT SC, 'estimated to be' is supposed to be idiomatic, but I am not too positive about that.

ontheway wrote:

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2007, 11:40
kalpvriksha14 wrote:
will go with E...estimated at is unidiomatic...more over C can not be the rt answer as it gives the impression that the estimation it self was done at the end of the 21st century..

If anything E gives the impression that the estimation was done at the end of the 21st century.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2007, 17:01
E it is.

Correct Idiom: estimated to be

Whats the OA?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2007, 02:20
OA is E.

Congratulations to all of you :)
CEO
CEO
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 190 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - Space Travel [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2007, 08:17
ontheway wrote:

I said E for proper comparison.

E properly compares the right cost w/ the other cost. Everything elese is a bit ambigious. I preferred "the cost to the average individual" to "the average individuals cost"
Re: SC - Space Travel   [#permalink] 08 Nov 2007, 08:17