Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 20:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The Awesome Desis!!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
7 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton, Columbia, Sloan
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 16 [7] , given: 4

The Awesome Desis!! [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2010, 11:42
This post received
KUDOS
I have spent a few months on this incredibly awesome forum. These are some thoughts about our very colorful desi brigade. Have fun!!

Every Indian has studied from a “top 10” engineering college in India that is not IIT.
FACT: There really is no concept of “top 10” engineering college in India. There are the IITs and the rest (Regional bias may prompt people to consider DCE, NIT as “top 10” – let’s not kid ourselves people!)

Every Indian has taught poor children from the slums.
FACT: This is the biggest BS I have heard!! I am sure adcoms wonder why India has so many illiterates if EVERY Indian is taking care of some poor little kid. Guys, please think of some more innovative ideas wrt to community involvement. Taming lions would be a good differentiator going forward don’t you think??

EVERY Indian has worked for an IT company that is an MNC/Major/Giant
FACT: Well………. Infosys, TCS, Wipro…………………not really “giants” as far as b-school admissions go. Pretty good companies I would agree, but also pretty easy to get in if you went to a “top 10” non IIT engineering school. ( Man…I know I am going to get heat on this one.)

Every Indian was the president/leader/core team member of the cultural/technical festival in their “top 10” non IIT engineering school.
FACT: Yeah right…. The truth is that there are a few people who truly organize the shows and the entire college Janta ( student community) tags along as “members”. Obviously in 3-4 years when b-school applications come along they all become the president/leader/core team members

Every Indian wants to go to Kellog
FACT: I am sure this is a national conspiracy to rile up Alex Chu. He gets all worked up when he sees an Indian miss the all important second “g” at the end of Kellogg. This is truly awesome!! If a billion people make an effort we can make Kellogg change its name to Kellog!! Then who’d be laughing Alex Chu??!!

Every Indian must provide grades he/she received in class X and XII when requesting profile evaluation
FACT:No one cares!! STOP doing it.

Every Indian wants to retake the GMAT. Even after getting 810.
FACT: NICE!! Apparently, HBS drools over math geniuses…enough said

Every Indian is awesome.
FACT: Every Indian IS AWESOME!!

Disclaimer: I am myself a desi and many of these facts apply to me as well. No offense to anyone. As the stress of applications begins to mount, let us at least laugh at ourselves!! Cheers!!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
5 KUDOS received
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Followers: 337

Kudos [?]: 1374 [5] , given: 194

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: The Awesome Desis!! [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2010, 16:09
This post received
KUDOS
Absolutely false. I am going to rebuke each and every one of these statements and show you why the answer is E. NO combination of these statements are sufficient to prove that I am, as you eloquently put it, "desi".

Fact 1: I am 19 years old
Fact 2: I am a girl (!!!Surprise!!!)
Fact 3: I am the Chuck Norris of B-School Applicants (Just thought it'd be fun to insert this one here for the lolz)

minime2 wrote:
I have spent a few months on this incredibly awesome forum. These are some thoughts about our very colorful desi brigade. Have fun!!

Every Indian has studied from a “top 10” engineering college in India that is not IIT.
FACT: There really is no concept of “top 10” engineering college in India. There are the IITs and the rest (Regional bias may prompt people to consider DCE, NIT as “top 10” – let’s not kid ourselves people!)

UNFACT: While it is true that there is no top 10 engineering college - BITS and NIT are now reaching up and grabbing IIT by it's ass and pulling it down. Even smaller and relatively unknown colleges like VIT (Vellore Institute of Technology, bet you've never heard of THAT one) have tie-ups with MIT and Stanford and send people abroad MUCH more than IIT and they have greater recognition. Just like IBS > IIM-A internationally as far as holistic tendencies go.

Every Indian has taught poor children from the slums.
FACT: This is the biggest BS I have heard!! I am sure adcoms wonder why India has so many illiterates if EVERY Indian is taking care of some poor little kid. Guys, please think of some more innovative ideas wrt to community involvement. Taming lions would be a good differentiator going forward don’t you think??

UNFACT: ROFLMAO. This is BS. I tell you, people are influenced by Slumdog Millionaire. Not true at all. No one is diving into a pile of feces to get Amitabh's autograph. Not my generation at least :D

EVERY Indian has worked for an IT company that is an MNC/Major/Giant
FACT: Well………. Infosys, TCS, Wipro…………………not really “giants” as far as b-school admissions go. Pretty good companies I would agree, but also pretty easy to get in if you went to a “top 10” non IIT engineering school. ( Man…I know I am going to get heat on this one.)

UNFACT OF THE CENTURY (I just made that word up, but sush): I am Indian. I am 19. I am a girl. I study Civil Engineering in a top 10 engineering school in the US. I have also traveled to China, London and soon going to Hungary, Morocco and Egypt. Why am I on GMAT Club? Because I am the Chuck Norris of BSchool Applicants. You must pay more attention, sir.

Every Indian was the president/leader/core team member of the cultural/technical festival in their “top 10” non IIT engineering school.
FACT: Yeah right…. The truth is that there are a few people who truly organize the shows and the entire college Janta ( student community) tags along as “members”. Obviously in 3-4 years when b-school applications come along they all become the president/leader/core team members

UNFACT but FACT: I actually agree with this one. I know what SASTRA and SAARANG do to people.

Every Indian wants to go to Kellog
FACT: I am sure this is a national conspiracy to rile up Alex Chu. He gets all worked up when he sees an Indian miss the all important second “g” at the end of Kellogg. This is truly awesome!! If a billion people make an effort we can make Kellogg change its name to Kellog!! Then who’d be laughing Alex Chu??!!

UNFACT: (I officially love this thread). Alex Chu is awesome, really. But hellz yeah, hell hath an Indian scorned. I want to go to Timbuktu and study the migration of insects. I can show diversity peepsies!

Every Indian must provide grades he/she received in class X and XII when requesting profile evaluation
FACT:No one cares!! STOP doing it. - I can't even begin to agree with this one, but it's the educational system. We should all listen to "Throw it on the Ground" on SNL. If you don't know what that is, youtube it. If you do, respect.

Every Indian wants to retake the GMAT. Even after getting 810.
FACT: NICE!! Apparently, HBS drools over math geniuses…enough said ..... ORLLY?! MUST. GET. 810

Every Indian is awesome.
FACT: Every Indian IS AWESOME!! This be true.

Disclaimer: I am myself a desi and many of these facts apply to me as well. No offense to anyone. As the stress of applications begins to mount, let us at least laugh at ourselves!! Cheers!!

I am probably the most patriotic, yet confused Indian on the planet. I play cricket and tennis. I don't understand American football or why they even call it football. I love Mexican food and I have never eaten meat in my life.

R.A.N.D.O.M as Praetorian would put it.

Cheers. This was just a tirade after doing too much CR. I love you all. :D
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 63 [2] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: The Awesome Desis!! [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2010, 15:57
This post received
KUDOS
I'm not indian, but you're definitely forgetting the most important one that I've seen:

Every Indian is the captain of his or her cricket team and has played internationally
2 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Followers: 77

Kudos [?]: 469 [2] , given: 25

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: The Awesome Desis!! [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2010, 00:52
This post received
KUDOS
PranavChamp wrote:
PranavChamp wrote:
Life's all about eating chocolates,watching football and reading wikipedia.

I just love Wikipedia. It has everything from article on Kung Fu Panda characters ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Kung_Fu_Panda_characters ) to List of association football club rivalries by country ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_association_football_club_rivalries_by_country ).

Check this one out :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_unusual_deaths

Math write-ups
1) Algebra-101 2) Sequences 3) Set combinatorics 4) 3-D geometry

My GMAT story

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Full Time - LBS, IESE, ESADE. Part Time - Haas, UCLA
WE 1: MS Electrical Engineering, private univ in California
WE 2: Software Developer, Tech Giant in Silicon Valley
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 1

Re: The Awesome Desis!! [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2010, 11:10
This post received
KUDOS
FACT: Every desi engineer in the Silicon Valley thinks that his / her semi-annual team outing at Habitat for Humanity or Second Harvest Food Bank would compensate for his / her lack of extra-curriculars at that "TOP 10" engineering college in India.
Retired Moderator
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 206 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: The Awesome Desis!! [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2010, 13:56
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda

Kudos [?]: 1374 [0], given: 194

Re: The Awesome Desis!! [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2010, 16:14
Also, the topic has been moved to the off-topic forum. This wasn't really relevant here :)
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 177

Kudos [?]: 932 [0], given: 235

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: The Awesome Desis!! [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2010, 16:48
I guess there is a typo here " Just like IBS > IIM-A internationally as far as holistic tendencies go"

it should be ISB. But still I want to throw some light on IIMA and ISB. IIMA is quite old and one of the most prestigious B-school in the world. The only reason why people do not know about this school is because it is not listed in the global b -school ranking.

Now why it is not listed?
A- It does not meet many criteria of B-school rankings - such as fresher intake, reservation etc.

Comparing ISB and IIMA is like comparing real numbers with complex...you can not ask whether i > 1 or not.
No doubt ISB has gained tremendous popularity globally but still IIMA is still only of the best and hardest B-school-to-crack.

PS: Avg international salary -IIMA is 110,750$.

Fight for your dreams :For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Money Saved is the Money Earned :)

Jo Bole So Nihaal , Sat Shri Akaal

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

Gmat test review :
670-to-710-a-long-journey-without-destination-still-happy-141642.html

Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda

Re: The Awesome Desis!! [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2010, 21:39
Haha, I know all about the merits of IIM-A. Half my family went there. The other half went to Wharton and Kenan-Flagler. Extended family of course, neither of my parents are in anything related to business. When I told them I decided to apply to bschool (around 6 months ago) they were like "WHAT? ......... "
Manager
Manager
Status: Taking heavily leveraged but calculated risks at all times
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: HBS '15, Stanford '15
GMAT Date: 01-31-2012
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 12

Re: The Awesome Desis!! [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2010, 09:24
haha..whiplash just ass whooped that post.... :-D

and BTW, being a BITSian and all, I dare say that its better than most IITs , if not the top three i.e karaghpur, powai and madras 8-)
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2235

Kudos [?]: 8408 [0], given: 3646

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: The Awesome Desis!! [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2010, 10:40
Expert's post
I am not Indian, so probably don't appreciate the value of these to the fullest but love the Alex Chu reference - great job!

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

CEO
CEO

Re: The Awesome Desis!! [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2010, 11:08
bb wrote:
I am not Indian, so probably don't appreciate the value of these to the fullest but love the Alex Chu reference - great job!

I even don't know who is Alex Chu :?

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

Gmat test review :

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2235

Kudos [?]: 8408 [0], given: 3646

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: The Awesome Desis!! [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2010, 13:37
Expert's post
gurpreetsingh wrote:
bb wrote:

I even don't know who is Alex Chu :?

Here you go: ask-mba-apply-135/
welcome-to-mba-apply-74255.html

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda

Re: The Awesome Desis!! [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2010, 13:59
Anasthaesium wrote:

and BTW, being a BITSian and all, I dare say that its better than most IITs , if not the top three i.e karaghpur, powai and madras 8-)

Thank you. IIT-Madras FTW. Don't you dare say anything bad about Madras. Yes, I'm Tamizhian. And if you cannot pronounce the zha, fail on your part.

Quote:

You can be a honorary Indian, bb. :D *The Big Fat Panda confers the title of "honorary Indian" on bb* :D Now imagine a big fat panda standing there, touching a sword to your head. Now THAT is hilarious.

Note to self - Get off the soda and start working.
Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 46

GMAT Tests User
Re: The Awesome Desis!! [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2010, 19:35
whiplash2411 wrote:
Anasthaesium wrote:

Thank you. IIT-Madras FTW. Don't you dare say anything bad about Madras. Yes, I'm Tamizhian. And if you cannot pronounce the zha, fail on your part.

Quote:

You can be a honorary Indian, bb. :D *The Big Fat Panda confers the title of "honorary Indian" on bb* :D Now imagine a big fat panda standing there, touching a sword to your head. Now THAT is hilarious.

Note to self - Get off the soda and start working.

Lay off the Dr. Pepper you chocoholic.

It's a dawg eat dawg world.

Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda

Re: The Awesome Desis!! [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2010, 19:48
Sush. You're just jealous that I actually LIKE dark chocolate.
CEO
CEO

Re: The Awesome Desis!! [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2010, 19:50
whiplash2411 wrote:

I love chocolates ......... :banana

Gmat test review :

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 200 [0], given: 52

Re: The Awesome Desis!! [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2010, 20:27
is it about time for azans to form "awesome azns" thread????

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 46

GMAT Tests User
Re: The Awesome Desis!! [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2010, 20:33
whiplash2411 wrote:

Yea, try sucking on some 90% then talk!

It's a dawg eat dawg world.

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 540 Q47 V19
GMAT 2: 610 Q46 V28
GPA: 3.86
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 86

GMAT Tests User
Re: The Awesome Desis!! [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2010, 20:55
whiplash2411 wrote:
Haha, I know all about the merits of IIM-A. Half my family went there. The other half went to Wharton and Kenan-Flagler. Extended family of course, neither of my parents are in anything related to business. When I told them I decided to apply to bschool (around 6 months ago) they were like "WHAT? ......... "

the same WHAT? was asked by Steve Ballmer's parents while he told them that he wanted to join a software company called Microsoft...and now see where he is...the CEO of Microsoft.

So when parents say WHAT? that means you are going to do something great!!! :)
Re: The Awesome Desis!!   [#permalink] 08 Sep 2010, 20:55