Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Jul 2014, 02:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The axis of Earth s daily rotation is tilted with respect to

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 276 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Earth [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2011, 17:14
The word "only" in the stimulus indicates that B is the answer.

Formula of Life -> Achievement/Potential = k * Happiness (where k is a constant)

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Status: A continuous journey of self-improvement is essential for every person -Socrates
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 14

Re: Earth [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2011, 20:13
Got confused between B and D and selected D, but agrees with B.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Earth [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2011, 20:44
Was down with B and D.. chose D.. :(
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 7

Re: Earth [#permalink] New post 12 May 2011, 07:53
IMO B. Makes most sense.

If you like my post, consider giving me KUDOS!

VP
VP
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: Earth [#permalink] New post 12 May 2011, 23:09
Between B and C.

C is based on conclusion but has an extreme word reference 'any'

B is based on premise but is subtle.

B seems better choice.

Visit -- http://www.sustainable-sphere.com/
Promote Green Business,Sustainable Living and Green Earth !!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 7

Re: Earth [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2011, 17:54
I go for B. Earth's life is supported due to proper tilt. Moon gives the proper tilt. Hence if the moon goes away the tilt would get distorted and life would not be supported anymore.

If you like my post, consider giving me KUDOS!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Earth [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2011, 19:36
C,D, and E have extreme language OR material outside the scope of the passage. (You can't derive any of the inferences from what is given in the passage).
Between A and B, A is talking about an example. If you use the +1 and -1 technique to see which has a higher chance of a correct answer. I would go with +1 for B because it directly relates to a planet in the passage. I would not give a -1 to either of the choices A or B.

This leaves me with B as the answer.

PS: I am having a tough time with MUST BE TRUE types of questions. Anyone have a better way to tackle MUST BE TRUE types? I am looking for stuff which is not there in Powerscore. Cheers!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: Earth [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2011, 22:54
+ 1 B, nice question.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.65

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Earth [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2011, 02:37
+1 for B
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 63

Kudos [?]: 258 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: Earth [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2011, 13:59
+1 B

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Insead '13 (M)
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V37
GMAT 2: Q V
Followers: 24

Kudos [?]: 686 [0], given: 48

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Earth [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2011, 03:23
statement2: stable angle --> gravity of moon
contra: no gravity of moon --> no stable angle

statement3: no stable angle --> extreme climate [no life]

combining: no gravity of moon --> no stable angle --> extreme climate [no life]
this is exactly what B says.

press +1 Kudos to appreciate posts
Download Valuable Collection of Percentage Questions (PS/DS)

Last edited by MBAhereIcome on 15 Sep 2011, 13:20, edited 2 times in total.
Math Forum Moderator
Followers: 126

Kudos [?]: 883 [0], given: 376

GMAT Tests User
Re: Earth [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2011, 07:25
prinits wrote:
The axis of Earth’s daily rotation is tilted with respect to the plane of its orbit at an angle of roughly 23 degrees. That angle can be kept fairly stable only by the gravitational influence of Earth’s large, nearby Moon. Without such a stable and moderate axis tilt, a planet’s climate is too extreme and unstable to support life. Mars, for example, has only very small moons, tilts at wildly fluctuating angles, and cannot support life.

If the statements above are true, which one of the following must also be true on the basis of them?

(A) If Mars had a sufficiently large nearby moon, Mars would be able to support life.
Only one of the negating factors is eliminated. There may be other factors, such as oxygen, water to support life. So, just having a large moon won't guarantee a life.
Analogy:
Getting a 720 on GMAT won't guarantee an admission to HBS. However, not having a 720 will guarantee a rejection.

(B) If Earth’s Moon were to leave Earth’s orbit, Earth’s climate would be unable to support life.
only by the gravitational influence of Earth’s large, nearby Moon etc... The word "ONLY" says it all.

(C) Any planet with a stable, moderate axis tilt can support life.
"can" is a bad word. This statement can't be ruled out summarily because it uses "can" and it may be possible in reality. Considering just the passage, however, we can't conclude such a thing.

(D) Gravitational influences other than moons have little or no effect on the magnitude of the tilt angle of either Earth’s or Mars’s axis.
Nothing of this is mentioned in the passage. The passage says that the moon is responsible to keep the tilt stable, but it is not a deciding factor for the degree of the tilt per se. Can't be inferred.

(E) No planet that has more than one moon can support life.
Who knows if the stability increases with number of moons around a planet. So, this may not be true. If the planet didn't have any moon, then I'd give it a thought. Out of scope because we are not given any correlation between supporting life and having more than one moon.

Ans: "B"

~fluke

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: Earth [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2011, 07:56
prinits wrote:
The axis of Earth’s daily rotation is tilted with respect to the plane of its orbit at an angle of roughly 23 degrees. That angle can be kept fairly stable only by the gravitational influence of Earth’s large, nearby Moon. Without such a stable and moderate axis tilt, a planet’s climate is too extreme and unstable to support life. Mars, for example, has only very small moons, tilts at wildly fluctuating angles, and cannot support life.

If the statements above are true, which one of the following must also be true on the basis of them?

(A) If Mars had a sufficiently large nearby moon, Mars would be able to support life.
(B) If Earth’s Moon were to leave Earth’s orbit, Earth’s climate would be unable to support life.
(D) Gravitational influences other than moons have little or no effect on the magnitude of the tilt angle of either Earth’s or Mars’s axis.

Option B talks about what happens when the moon leaves earth's orbit. Earth will become like Mars. So B.
Manager
Manager
Status: I will not stop until i realise my goal which is my dream too
Schools: Johnson '15

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: Earth [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2012, 05:52
tarek99 wrote:
prinits wrote:

I pick option D.

a) The argument talks about Earth, so Mars is irrelevant
b) It is rather the gravitational influence of the moon that helps keep the angle of roughly 23 degrees. Even though it's true that Earth's climate will be unable to support life when the moon leaves, there's also no guarantee that Earth's climate will continue to support life if the moon is still around. Other factors such as global warming can eventually lead the climate to harm life even when the moon is still around.
c) we don't know whether a stable, moderate axis on other planets can support life, but we do know at least that it is keeping life that already exists on earth.
D) Correct. The argument says, "That angle can be kept fairly stable only by the gravitational influence of Earth’s large, nearby Moon."
E) We only know about earth. A sample can not represent the whole population. What works for earth may not necessarily works for other planets.

i kind of agree with Tarek as i had also picked D as answer....that is the assumption we are trying to find here....so i am confused.....

Regards,
Harsha

Note: Give me kudos if my approach is right , else help me understand where i am missing.. I want to bell the GMAT Cat ;)

Satyameva Jayate - Truth alone triumphs

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 23

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: The axis of Earth s daily rotation is tilted with respect to [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2012, 19:28
B.

Facts:
stable angle is important
23* is important
the moon helps stabilize the angle
mars has widely tilting angles
mars has small moons (assumption: cannot help stabilize)
earth (main topic) is important -- anything about any other planets is not important
"plane of its orbit" is important... shows that it is influenced by something other than "moon". moon is not the only factor.

because of this, we can eliminate a, c, e.
between B & D: look at "plane of its orbit"

GOAL: 7xx

Manager
Manager
Status: exam is close ... dont know if i ll hit that number
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 10-09-2012
GPA: 3.2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Re: The axis of Earth s daily rotation is tilted with respect to [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2012, 08:26
why is D wrong
is it because nothing is talked about the gravitational influence of moons of mars???

but that is explicit from the last statement..

just one more month for exam...

Intern
Intern
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 9

Re: The axis of Earth s daily rotation is tilted with respect to [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2013, 04:35
I may be wrong..Nowhere it says that stable axis supports life..It says unstable axis doesnt supports life.
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.78

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 24

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The axis of Earth s daily rotation is tilted with respect to [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2013, 11:49
Key is that the statement is about EARTH - focus on it, Mars is an afterthougt
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Schools: Merage '15 (A)
GPA: 3.6
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 13

Re: The axis of Earth s daily rotation is tilted with respect to [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2013, 00:36

(A) If Mars had a sufficiently large nearby moon, Mars would be able to support life. not sure
(B) If Earth’s Moon were to leave Earth’s orbit, Earth’s climate would be unable to support life. if moon leaves the orbit, the axis will change resulting in extreme climate, Hence life won't be supported
(C) Any planet with a stable, moderate axis tilt can support life. not conclusive
(D) Gravitational influences other than moons have little or no effect on the magnitude of the tilt angle of either Earth’s or Mars’s axis. large moons have the effect
(E) No planet that has more than one moon can support life. extreme
Re: The axis of Earth s daily rotation is tilted with respect to   [#permalink] 18 Apr 2013, 00:36