Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 15:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The axis of Earth s daily rotation is tilted with respect to

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 11

The axis of Earth s daily rotation is tilted with respect to [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2009, 03:01
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

65% (02:03) correct 35% (01:18) wrong based on 525 sessions
The axis of Earth’s daily rotation is tilted with respect to the plane of its orbit at an angle of roughly 23 degrees. That angle can be kept fairly stable only by the gravitational influence of Earth’s large, nearby Moon. Without such a stable and moderate axis tilt, a planet’s climate is too extreme and unstable to support life. Mars, for example, has only very small moons, tilts at wildly fluctuating angles, and cannot support life.

If the statements above are true, which one of the following must also be true on the basis of them?

(A) If Mars had a sufficiently large nearby moon, Mars would be able to support life.
(B) If Earth’s Moon were to leave Earth’s orbit, Earth’s climate would be unable to support life.
(C) Any planet with a stable, moderate axis tilt can support life.
(D) Gravitational influences other than moons have little or no effect on the magnitude of the tilt angle of either Earth’s or Mars’s axis.
(E) No planet that has more than one moon can support life.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: Earth [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2009, 03:51
According to the statements, the Earth is tilted at an angle of 23 degree which has been kept stable because of the nearby moon, and without this tilt, the climate would be too extreme and unstable to support life. This has been further supported by an example of Mars, which has very small moons and that cannot stabilize the tilt of the planet and therefore, Mars cannot support life.
Clearly option 'B' extends this thought.
a) talks about Mars but the statement is about the Earth.
c) Its not about a stable moderate axis, its about 23 degree which is missing.
d)The statement does not support or extends the same thought
e) just a general statement.
I vote for 'B'.

"Always....Read between the lines"

Director
Director
WE 1: 7years (Financial Services - Consultant, BA)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 173 [0], given: 106

GMAT Tests User
Re: Earth [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2009, 04:01
Between B and D. IMO D

B says unable instead of unstable ==> so I reject it as this is the extreme inference from the stimulus.
D talk's about Earth and Mars. Earth's directly stated (only moon's gravitational influence),
but for mars stimulus states that Mars has small moons which cannot stabilize the tilt ==> that mean there is no or little other gravitation influence on Mars too other than moons.
So D correctly states that. ==> Mars one is little dicey though.

Any opinions?

Consider kudos for the good post ... :beer
My debrief : journey-670-to-720-q50-v36-long-85083.html

Last edited by sudeep on 07 Jun 2009, 04:02, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
WE 1: 5.5 yrs in IT
Followers: 62

Kudos [?]: 378 [1] , given: 56

GMAT Tests User
Re: Earth [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2009, 04:02
This post received
KUDOS
I'll vote for B. But I'm little susceptible, since the choice B is too extreme kindda answer. Whats the OA ?

(A) If Mars had a sufficiently large nearby moon, Mars would be able to support life. - Don't know, there can be other reasons as well.
(B) If Earth’s Moon were to leave Earth’s orbit, Earth’s climate would be unable to support life. Correct
(C) Any planet with a stable, moderate axis tilt can support life. - extreme answer
(D) Gravitational influences other than moons have little or no effect on the magnitude of the tilt angle of either Earth’s or Mars’s axis. - only by the gravitational influence of Earth’s large, nearby Moon
(E) No planet that has more than one moon can support life. - extreme answer

ISB 2011-12 thread | Ask ISB Alumni @ ThinkISB
All information related to Indian candidates and B-schools | Indian B-schools accepting GMAT scores
Self evaluation for Why MBA?

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 11

Re: Earth [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2009, 04:11
OA is B
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: Earth [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2009, 04:14
I find 'B' the right option because, the passage is talking about earth's moon and not any other factor that might be involved in maintaining the stability of the planet, and it has been further supported by another example of the moon, of a different planet. The answer to this question should be the one which considers just this factor. So, if the Earth's moon leaves the orbit, then the stability of the planet would be disturbed.

"Always....Read between the lines"

SVP
SVP
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Earth [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2009, 04:17
prinits wrote:
The axis of Earth’s daily rotation is tilted with respect to the plane of its orbit at an angle of roughly 23 degrees. That angle can be kept fairly stable only by the gravitational influence of Earth’s large, nearby Moon. Without such a stable and moderate axis tilt, a planet’s climate is too extreme and unstable to support life. Mars, for example, has only very small moons, tilts at wildly fluctuating angles, and cannot support life.
If the statements above are true, which one of the following must also be true on the basis of them?
(A) If Mars had a sufficiently large nearby moon, Mars would be able to support life.
(B) If Earth’s Moon were to leave Earth’s orbit, Earth’s climate would be unable to support life.
(D) Gravitational influences other than moons have little or no effect on the magnitude of the tilt angle of either Earth’s or Mars’s axis.

I pick option D.

a) The argument talks about Earth, so Mars is irrelevant
b) It is rather the gravitational influence of the moon that helps keep the angle of roughly 23 degrees. Even though it's true that Earth's climate will be unable to support life when the moon leaves, there's also no guarantee that Earth's climate will continue to support life if the moon is still around. Other factors such as global warming can eventually lead the climate to harm life even when the moon is still around.
c) we don't know whether a stable, moderate axis on other planets can support life, but we do know at least that it is keeping life that already exists on earth.
D) Correct. The argument says, "That angle can be kept fairly stable only by the gravitational influence of Earth’s large, nearby Moon."
E) We only know about earth. A sample can not represent the whole population. What works for earth may not necessarily works for other planets.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 378 [0], given: 56

GMAT Tests User
Re: Earth [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2009, 04:32
Don't agree.

tarek99 wrote:
b) It is rather the gravitational influence of the moon that helps keep the angle of roughly 23 degrees. Even though it's true that Earth's climate will be unable to support life when the moon leaves, there's also no guarantee that Earth's climate will continue to support life if the moon is still around. Other factors such as global warming can eventually lead the climate to harm life even when the moon is still around.

The option is just talking about life, in case moon leaves. Its not talking about what happens otherwise.

tarek99 wrote:
D) Correct. The argument says, "That angle can be kept fairly stable only by the gravitational influence of Earth’s large, nearby Moon."

Th option says "little or no effect on the magnitude ...." whereas argument says "That angle can be kept fairly stable ONLY by the gravitational influence ....", so "little effect" is out.

All information related to Indian candidates and B-schools | Indian B-schools accepting GMAT scores

SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Earth [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2009, 04:56
bigoyal wrote:
Don't agree.

tarek99 wrote:

The option is just talking about life, in case moon leaves. Its not talking about what happens otherwise.

tarek99 wrote:

Th option says "little or no effect on the magnitude ...." whereas argument says "That angle can be kept fairly stable ONLY by the gravitational influence ....", so "little effect" is out.

but it says "little OR no effect." So it's not like they said "and." I just feel that we're making an inference rather than making must be true when selecting option B.
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Earth [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2009, 05:01
oh! I see it now! Option D also talks about Mars, which I've completely missed
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 378 [0], given: 56

GMAT Tests User
Re: Earth [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2009, 08:36
tarek99 wrote:

yes, but even argument also talks about moons on Mars - "Mars, for example, has only very small moons,", but what I feel is its the auther's extreme language by using "only" in the sentence "That angle can be kept fairly stable only by the gravitational influence of Earth’s large, nearby Moon". That means that author is saying there is no other gravitational force responsible for this.

SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Earth [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2009, 09:05
bigoyal wrote:
tarek99 wrote:

yes, but even argument also talks about moons on Mars - "Mars, for example, has only very small moons,", but what I feel is its the auther's extreme language by using "only" in the sentence "That angle can be kept fairly stable only by the gravitational influence of Earth’s large, nearby Moon". That means that author is saying there is no other gravitational force responsible for this.

yes I agree. The auther said "only by the gravitational influence of Earth’s large, nearby Moon." so we know that's the case for earth, but we can't say that it's the same case for Mars. That is why mentioning mars in option D made it incorrect I feel.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 4

Re: Earth [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2010, 06:41
Question is an Inference

My pick is B. Author never comes out and says this directly but based on the information from the article it can be inferred.

D sounded good at first but I think it's a little out of scope. No where in the argument does the author specifically state that the source of gravity has to be a moon. They just happened to use two examples where the source of gravity involved moons.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Earth [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2010, 08:33
prinits wrote:
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
B

Best option is B.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 44

GMAT Tests User
Re: Earth [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2010, 10:00
B is the best option !
Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 230 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: Earth [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2010, 04:44
B for me too.
If we say A ==> B, (A leads to B) then the best test is to see whether
B still exists in the absence of A....
That way, we eliminate other causal factors.

KUDOS me if you feel my contribution has helped you.

Director
Director
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Followers: 51

Kudos [?]: 668 [0], given: 40

GMAT Tests User
Re: Earth [#permalink] New post 20 May 2010, 04:12
Whats wong with C?

It is just a paraphased part of the stimulus:

Experts please explain.

Want to improve your CR: cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html
Tricky Quant problems: 50-tricky-questions-92834.html
Important Grammer Fundamentals: key-fundamentals-of-grammer-our-crucial-learnings-on-sc-93659.html

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 39

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Earth [#permalink] New post 20 May 2010, 04:19
[quote]The axis of Earth’s daily rotation is tilted with respect to the plane of its orbit at an angle of roughly 23 degrees. That angle can be kept fairly stable only by the gravitational influence of Earth’s large, nearby Moon. Without such a stable and moderate axis tilt, a planet’s climate is too extreme and unstable to support life. Mars, for example, has only very small moons, tilts at wildly fluctuating angles, and cannot support life.

(E) No planet that has more than one moon can support life./quote]

A. is not supported at all. The paragraph does not say that having a large moon and therefore a stable rotation is sufficient to support life, merely that it is one of the necessary conditions. For this same reason C. is not supported. D. is not supported because it simply is not discussed in the paragraph. E. is similar to A and C., it is possible to have a stable rotation with something other than one large moon.

B. is clearly correct. The Earth's moon is necessary for its stable rotation and support of life.

If my comments have been helpful, please give kudos.
Thanks,
Skip
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 39

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Earth [#permalink] New post 20 May 2010, 04:23
Quote:
[i]Whats wong with C?

It is just a paraphased part of the stimulus:

Experts please explain./i]

I am no expert but the key word that makes C. invalid is ANY. Also the assumption is that just because the planet has the necessary precondition of a stable rotation, that it has all the other ingredients necessary for life. There is no reason to assume BASED on these two statements that those other necessary elements are present on every planet.

I hope this was helpful. If so, please give kudos.
Thanks,
Skip
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 184 [0], given: 6

Re: Earth [#permalink] New post 20 May 2010, 12:13
I like the option (B).
Re: Earth   [#permalink] 20 May 2010, 12:13