Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 02:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The base of a rectangular block has an area of 60 square

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
The base of a rectangular block has an area of 60 square [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2004, 19:47
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

50% (01:55) correct 50% (00:59) wrong based on 230 sessions
The base of a rectangular block has an area of 60 square centimeters. Is the block a cube?

(1) The area of the front face of the block is 60 square centimeters.
(2) The area of a side of the block is 60 square centimeters.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Bunuel on 06 Jul 2013, 02:35, edited 1 time in total.
Edited the question and added the OA
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2004, 19:56
My Answer is C.

From (1), we get S1 = S2
From (2) , we get S2 = S3

Togather, S1=S2=S3

Thus, Answer C
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2004, 10:08
Stem of the problem W * L = 60
A) H * L = 60
B) H * W = 60
Three variables, Three equations
You can determine W, H and L from both of these. Answer is C indeed.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 21

Re: The base of a rectangular block has an area of 60 square [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2013, 02:32
Cube Area = side3
Cube Area = 60*6 =360
side3 = 360
side=3\sqrt{360}
360 = 2*2*2*3*3*5,
so we have 23 and 32 and 51
Is there any number that can satisfy the conditions?

Last edited by actleader on 07 Jul 2013, 04:56, edited 1 time in total.
Expert Post
Math Expert
Followers: 3413

Kudos [?]: 24979 [0], given: 2698

Re: The base of a rectangular block has an area of 60 square [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2013, 02:39
Expert's post
actleader wrote:
The base of a rectangular block has an area of 60 square centimeters. Is the block a cube?

Cube Area = side3
Cube Area = 60*6 =360
side3 = 360
side=3\sqrt{360}
360 = 2*2*2*3*3*5,
so we have 23 and 32 and 51

Is there any number that can satisfy the conditions?

Can you please elaborate what you mean?

The volume of a cube = side^3;
The surface area of a cube = 6*side^2 (since a cube has 6 faces).

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 21

Re: The base of a rectangular block has an area of 60 square [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2013, 04:55
Bunuel,

Thx for the correction.
Now I realized where I made a mistake.

1. Cube volume = side3
2. Cube's side Area is equal to side2
hence side of the Cube =\sqrt[]{60} ,
or 2\sqrt[]{15}

Last edited by actleader on 07 Jul 2013, 05:05, edited 6 times in total.
Expert Post
Math Expert

Re: The base of a rectangular block has an area of 60 square [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2013, 04:59
Expert's post
actleader wrote:
Bunuel,

Thx for the correction.
Now I realized where I made a mistake.

1. Cube volume = side3
2. Cube's side Area is equal to side2
hence side of the Cube = \sqrt{60},
or 2\sqrt{15}

Please check the following post.

Writing Mathematical Formulas on the Forum: rules-for-posting-please-read-this-before-posting-133935.html#p1096628

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 134

Re: The base of a rectangular block has an area of 60 square [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2013, 05:47

I figured the answer was C and I was correct. If you are given the base area of the rectangle and the front face of it then you have the depth of the rectangle, the width and the height, however, just having the base and one side isn't enough to "lock in" the actual shape of the figure. You need to know more. For example, the base could be 4x15 and the height could be 4x15 meaning this figure is a rectangular block, not a cube. On the other hand, the base could be √60x√60 and the height could be the same meaning that this figure is a cube.

For #1) w*h = 60. w*d = 60 --> h=d but that isn't enough...we don't know what the height is.
For #2) d*h = 60. w*d = 60 --> w=h but that isn't enough...we don't know what the depth is.

1+2) w=h=d Sufficient (a cube is w*h*d where all sides are equal)
Expert Post
Math Expert

Re: The base of a rectangular block has an area of 60 square [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2013, 05:59
Expert's post
WholeLottaLove wrote:

I figured the answer was C and I was correct. If you are given the base area of the rectangle and the front face of it then you have the depth of the rectangle, the width and the height, however, just having the base and one side isn't enough to "lock in" the actual shape of the figure. You need to know more. For example, the base could be 4x15 and the height could be 4x15 meaning this figure is a rectangular block, not a cube. On the other hand, the base could be √60x√60 and the height could be the same meaning that this figure is a cube. I am having a bit of difficultly with the algebra though and would like help figuring out how to solve it. For #1 I had:

w*h = 60. Also, we are given that w*d = 60 --> I ended up with hd=d or h = 1 which would lead me to believe that the figure has a height of 1 and thus, is a rectangle but that doesn't make sense. Can someone elaborate?

From the stem we have: width*depth = 60;
From (1) we have that: width*height = 60.

Thus: width*depth = width*height, which gives that depth = height. Now, if depth = height = 1 and width = 60, then the block is NOT a cube but if depth = height = width = \sqrt{60}, then the block is a cube.

The same logic applies to (2): we get that width = height.

For (1)+(2) we have that depth = height and width = height, therefore depth = height = width, which means that the block is a cube.

Answer: C.

Hope it helps.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 134

Re: The base of a rectangular block has an area of 60 square [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2013, 08:17
Thank you for that. For some reason I was thinking that the cube needed to have a whole number on each side which is obviously untrue.

Bunuel wrote:
WholeLottaLove wrote:

I figured the answer was C and I was correct. If you are given the base area of the rectangle and the front face of it then you have the depth of the rectangle, the width and the height, however, just having the base and one side isn't enough to "lock in" the actual shape of the figure. You need to know more. For example, the base could be 4x15 and the height could be 4x15 meaning this figure is a rectangular block, not a cube. On the other hand, the base could be √60x√60 and the height could be the same meaning that this figure is a cube. I am having a bit of difficultly with the algebra though and would like help figuring out how to solve it. For #1 I had:

w*h = 60. Also, we are given that w*d = 60 --> I ended up with hd=d or h = 1 which would lead me to believe that the figure has a height of 1 and thus, is a rectangle but that doesn't make sense. Can someone elaborate?

Thus: width*depth = width*height, which gives that depth = height. Now, if depth = height = 1 and width = 60, then the block is NOT a cube but if depth = height = width = \sqrt{60}, then the block is a cube.

For (1)+(2) we have that depth = height and width = height, therefore depth = height = width, which means that the block is a cube.

Hope it helps.
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 155 [0], given: 254

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The base of a rectangular block has an area of 60 square [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2014, 05:28
Bunuel wrote:
WholeLottaLove wrote:

Hope it helps.

I though that if you had four faces as 60 then the remaining two faces had to be 60 so the cube could fit/ Could anyone please elaborate on this please?

Thanks
Cheers!
J :)
Expert Post
Math Expert

Re: The base of a rectangular block has an area of 60 square [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2014, 05:33
Expert's post
jlgdr wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
WholeLottaLove wrote:

Hope it helps.

I though that if you had four faces as 60 then the remaining two faces had to be 60 so the cube could fit/ Could anyone please elaborate on this please?

Thanks
Cheers!
J :)

Which statement gives the area of FOUR faces?

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 155 [0], given: 254

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The base of a rectangular block has an area of 60 square [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2014, 06:55
It says that the base of the rectangular block is 60 and then in each of the statements you are given the area of the side face and the front face separately. Therefore if you know the bottom face then the top is also the same and likewise if you know the side face is 60 then the side just in front of that one is also 60. Thats why I thought that we needed the remaining to faces to be 60 otherwise the figure would not fit

Let me know if you understand my reasoning. I'm trying to figure out where exactly am I going wrong

Thanks!
J

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

CAT Tests
Re: The base of a rectangular block has an area of 60 square [#permalink] New post 15 May 2014, 14:57
+1 on @jlgdr's statement....A alone says that 4 faces are of same surface area....which implies all 6 faces should be of the same surface area...which implies all dimensions should be same?

B alone says the same thing. The answer choice should be "D"? I am not convinced that we need A+B to answer & the answer choice be "C". Can someone clarify?
Expert Post
Math Expert

Re: The base of a rectangular block has an area of 60 square [#permalink] New post 16 May 2014, 01:44
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
harshaiit wrote:
+1 on @jlgdr's statement....A alone says that 4 faces are of same surface area....which implies all 6 faces should be of the same surface area...which implies all dimensions should be same?

B alone says the same thing. The answer choice should be "D"? I am not convinced that we need A+B to answer & the answer choice be "C". Can someone clarify?

In my post here: the-base-of-a-rectangular-block-has-an-area-of-60-square-4397.html#p1302020 specif examples are given where the block is NOT a cube:
Attachment:
Untitled1.png
Untitled1.png [ 12.38 KiB | Viewed 413 times ]

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Re: The base of a rectangular block has an area of 60 square   [#permalink] 16 May 2014, 01:44