Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 10:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The Battle isn't over-May 24 660 Q47 V34 -August 670 Q47V35

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: Q47 V35
GPA: 3.86
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 18

The Battle isn't over-May 24 660 Q47 V34 -August 670 Q47V35 [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2012, 11:32
Hi All,

I've never written on any forums before but this time I decided to share my experience and ask for help.
I'm Russian female 26 years old so you could guess that verbal section was/is a challenge for me -you can see that from the above breakdowns of my scores. I started studying for GMAT in January 2012 & my initial practice score was 550 (don't remember the exact breakdown something around Q35-37 V31). The ideal score that I'm set on is 700+ which is at least 30 points away. This may seem as little but I feel stuck since I don't know how to improve further and application deadlines are approaching. So I feel pressure to improve & improve soon.

Once I saw my first score of 660 - I was ambivalent: I felt happy since I've never gotten anything above 650 on my practice test but at the same time I was upset since miracle I was hoping for didn't happen and I was 40 points away from my target score! So I decided to work hard on my verbal- I purchased 5 MGMAT verbal books and read through all of them & went through Official Verbal GMAC practice questions. I felt like I understood all the questions better and what GMAC was looking for in RC & CR questions; however, because English is not my first language I struggled tremendously with answering difficult (700-800 ) questions correctly under time constraint. I also feel that it takes me a long time to read carefully through RC passage & then choose the right answer for the questions that refer back to the text (usually I have 2 answer options that are very similar; however, only a small detail makes that choice incorrect/correct)- To catch that small hint that separates the right answer from the wrong one is very time consuming for me. I also noticed that it takes me longer than a minute to find the right answer on SC questions - especially the difficult ones (700-800 level).

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I could improve my verbal - any effective study plan?
I feel like I wasted 2 months studying all those verbal books but my score improved by only 10 points.
I'm planning to retake the test within a month so I could start applying to schools in November. Any help/advice will be highly appreciated! Thank you in advance
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
BSchool Thread Master
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Schools: XLRI (A)
GMAT 1: 570 Q49 V19
GMAT 2: 700 Q51 V31
GPA: 3
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 58

Kudos [?]: 255 [0], given: 44

Premium Member
Re: The Battle isn't over-May 24 660 Q47 V34 -August 670 Q47V35 [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2012, 20:54
Hi,

First of all i would like to tell you that i liked the heading of the topic and i am confident that you will get more than 700 soon!

Why dont you try increasing your Quant score?

Coming to the verbal part

Am not a verbal guy so my advice might not be so helpful to you, but still i will try sharing my thoughts!
Refer powerscore CR bible(which i had referred too!): Once you are done with reading the CR argument, are you able to predict what kind of question is going to come and what will be the possible answer? (I was able to do those things once i was done with powerscore CR!)
Also, did you try grockit for practice? It helps a lot in improving the speed. And am very sure that once you are with powerscore then you can get almost all CR questions correct.

For RC
Did you try reading articles from following sites
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/
http://www.scientificamerican.com/
http://www.economist.com/
Try Thursdays with Ron (Link in my signature)

For Sc
Did you try Thursdays with Ron?

ankit
you must believe

How to start GMAT preparations?
How to Improve Quant Score?
gmatclub topic tags
Check out my GMAT debrief
Thursdays with Ron link
Looking for a Quant tutor? Check out my post for the same!

Combined Formula Sheet :
Number Properties || Word Problems and PnC || Equations, Inequalities || Geometry

How to Solve :
Statistics || Reflection of a line || Remainder Problems

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: Q47 V35
GPA: 3.86
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 18

Re: The Battle isn't over-May 24 660 Q47 V34 -August 670 Q47V35 [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2012, 09:01
Hi,
Thank you for your reply! I will definitely use all the above sources that you've mentioned.

As I said before I just need to change something about the way I study & my strategies because I don't see any significant improvements in my score. Any advice on how I could improve Quant? I found MGMAT advanced very useful but now I need other sources so I could move forward and improve.
BSchool Thread Master
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Schools: XLRI (A)
GMAT 1: 570 Q49 V19
GMAT 2: 700 Q51 V31
GPA: 3
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 58

Kudos [?]: 255 [0], given: 44

Premium Member
Re: The Battle isn't over-May 24 660 Q47 V34 -August 670 Q47V35 [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2012, 09:33
Hi,

have you made an error log?
You can dig down the topics in which you are not that good and start working on more on those topics and parallely you can sharpen yourself in other topics.

Did you try grockit.com ? Its a good website for practice! Also, i have updated my post on gmatclub regarding how to do gmat preparations. Hope you find something useful in that too.
how-to-start-gmat-preperations-136048.html

Good Luck! Keep up the spirit!

ankit
you must believe

How to start GMAT preparations?
How to Improve Quant Score?
gmatclub topic tags
Check out my GMAT debrief
Thursdays with Ron link
Looking for a Quant tutor? Check out my post for the same!

Combined Formula Sheet :
Number Properties || Word Problems and PnC || Equations, Inequalities || Geometry

How to Solve :
Statistics || Reflection of a line || Remainder Problems

Re: The Battle isn't over-May 24 660 Q47 V34 -August 670 Q47V35   [#permalink] 21 Aug 2012, 09:33