Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 07:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The beer industry is still very profitable and the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Chicago Booth Class of 2013
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 124 [2] , given: 194

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
The beer industry is still very profitable and the [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2010, 13:51
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

55% (02:28) correct 45% (01:34) wrong based on 190 sessions
The beer industry is still very profitable and the projections are that it will remain so. In the United States this year, the total amount of beer sold by breweries has increased, even though the number of adults who drink beer has decreased.

Each of the following, if true, could explain the simultaneous increase in beer sales and decrease in the number of adults who drink beer EXCEPT:
1. During this year, the number of women who have begun to drink beer is greater than the number of men who have quit drinking beer.
2. The number of underage people who have begun to drink beer is greater than the number of adults who have quit drinking beer during the same period.
3. During this year, the number of nondrinkers who have begun to drink beer is greater than the number of people who have quit drinking beer.
4. The people who have continued to drink beer consume more beer per person than they have in the past.
5. More of the beer made in the United States this year was exported to other countries than was the case last year.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
2 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Followers: 316

Kudos [?]: 659 [2] , given: 11

Re: Easy one (Beer and breweries) [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2010, 16:39
This post received
KUDOS
Hey All,

Looks like there's some confusion on this one, so I figured I'd weigh in. Always feel free to PM me with any specific questions.

The beer industry is still very profitable and the projections are that it will remain so. In the United States this year, the total amount of beer sold by breweries has increased, even though the number of adults who drink beer has decreased.

Each of the following, if true, could explain the simultaneous increase in beer sales and decrease in the number of adults who drink beer EXCEPT:

This is an explain the discrepancy question, which are often among the simplest on the test. This one makes things a bit more interesting by making it an EXCEPT question, but because it repeats the discrepancy itself in the question stem, all we need to do is think about what explains the EXACT discrepancy (not anything else).

1. During this year, the number of women who have begun to drink beer is greater than the number of men who have quit drinking beer.
ANSWER: This would actually mean MORE people are drinking beer this year. But the discrepancy is that FEWER people are drinking beer, and sales are still up. That doesn't work.

2. The number of underage people who have begun to drink beer is greater than the number of adults who have quit drinking beer during the same period.
PROBLEM: This does explain the discrepancy by playing off the word "adults". Sales among adults could be down, but sales among the underage could be up (more than adult sales are down), leading to the described discrepancy.

3. During this year, the number of nondrinkers who have begun to drink beer is greater than the number of people who have quit drinking beer.
PROBLEM: Again, they're playing with "people" over "adults". This could thus explain the discrepancy if the people aren't adults.

4. The people who have continued to drink beer consume more beer per person than they have in the past.
PROBLEM: This does explain the discrepancy. In fact, it's the most obvious. I think D is popular here because people missed the EXCEPT. Classic!

5. More of the beer made in the United States this year was exported to other countries than was the case last year.
PROBLEM: This explains why there are more sales, in spite of the fact that fewer people are drinking.

Hope that helps!

-tommy

P.S. In the future, don't put "easy one" on a question or no one will look at it. This one's actually quite tricky!

Tommy Wallach | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | San Francisco

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 28 [1] , given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: Easy one (Beer and breweries) [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2010, 21:50
This post received
KUDOS
psychomath wrote:
How can it be A?!?! I go for D for starters!

A it is.

The argument:

Fact 1: The total beer sold increased.
Fact 2: The total # of adult drink beer decreased.

The question is, how can the total # of adult decreased and the total beer sold still increase? Which answer could explain this? (We looking in this case for the answer that doesn't explain this)

D said that, (even though the total # of adults drinking beer decreased) the # of people who remain drinking drink a lot more than they did in the past. This could explain Fact 1, fact 2 is just accepted in this case. Therefore D explains the situation hence Incorrect here.

A said the number of women begin drinking > the number of men quit drinking. What do we have? Remember both women and men are adults, therefore the # of adults begin drinking > the number of adult quit drinking. Thus we should have the # of adults drinking increase. This contradicts fact 2. Thus exactly what we are looking for.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 42

Re: Easy one (Beer and breweries) [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2011, 14:58
This post received
KUDOS
A) is comparing the
-number of women who have begun to drink
-no. of men who have quit drinking
to solve the discrepancy on the question u also need to have data about
-no. of women who have quit drinking
-no. of men who have begun to drink.
Director
Director
Affiliations: IIT, Purdue, PhD, TauBetaPi
Schools: Wharton, Sloan, Chicago, Haas
WE 1: 8 years in Oil&Gas
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: Easy one (Beer and breweries) [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2010, 14:05
What is the difference of the impact between A and D? I don't get it... In A. women nondrinkers joined the club and in D, the nondrinkers started drinking. Why would A be a better answer than D...

Consider kudos, they are good for health

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 7

Re: Easy one (Beer and breweries) [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2010, 21:07
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Chicago Booth Class of 2013
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 124 [0], given: 194

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Easy one (Beer and breweries) [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2010, 21:43
psychomath wrote:

I took the question from here:
http://www.informit.com/articles/articl ... 9&seqNum=4

Last edited by Financier on 15 Sep 2010, 05:55, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: Easy one (Beer and breweries) [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2010, 20:14
gautrang wrote:
psychomath wrote:

A it is.

The argument:

Fact 1: The total beer sold increased.
Fact 2: The total # of adult drink beer decreased.

The question is, how can the total # of adult decreased and the total beer sold still increase? Which answer could explain this? (We looking in this case for the answer that doesn't explain this)

D said that, (even though the total # of adults drinking beer decreased) the # of people who remain drinking drink a lot more than they did in the past. This could explain Fact 1, fact 2 is just accepted in this case. Therefore D explains the situation hence Incorrect here.

A said the number of women begin drinking > the number of men quit drinking. What do we have? Remember both women and men are adults, therefore the # of adults begin drinking > the number of adult quit drinking. Thus we should have the # of adults drinking increase. This contradicts fact 2. Thus exactly what we are looking for.

Agreed-A should be the answer
Other choices resolves the discrepancy stated.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 32

Re: Easy one (Beer and breweries) [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2010, 21:48
+1 for A
The below link explained it well:
http://www.informit.com/articles/articl ... 9&seqNum=4
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UCLA (R1 interview-WL), UNC(R2--interview-ding) Oxford(R2-Admit), Kelley (R2- Admit $$), McCombs(R2)
WE 1: SE - 1
WE 2: Engineer - 3

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Easy one (Beer and breweries) [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2010, 05:21
I am little bit confused between A and C. Can somebody clear my doubt about C?

Posted from my mobile device Image
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: Easy one (Beer and breweries) [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2010, 05:37
ingoditrust wrote:
I am little bit confused between A and C. Can somebody clear my doubt about C?

Posted from my mobile device Image

C said: During this year, the number of nondrinkers who have begun to drink beer is greater than the number of people who have quit drinking beer.

=> The number of adults drink beer increased, this contradicts with the premise, thus C is incorrect
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 184 [0], given: 6

Re: Easy one (Beer and breweries) [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2010, 11:06
Can someone please explain why E is incorret here?

I understood that the sale of beer increased but how does E explain that the # of adults drinking beer decreased.

Also, can someone elaborate on why C is incorrect because C says that the # of non-drinkers who started drinking is more than the # of drinkers who quit drinking.
Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 375 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: Easy one (Beer and breweries) [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2010, 20:31
A complicates the paradox without doubt.

a) During this year, the number of women who have begun to drink beer is greater than the number of men who have quit drinking beer. ------> I believe this choice even contradicts the premise.

Premise : the total amount of beer sold by breweries has increased, even though the number of adults who drink beer has decreased.----> You are not allowed to contradict the premise.

Please press kudos if you like my post.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: Easy one (Beer and breweries) [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2010, 01:34
AGREED WID A
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 5.0

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 315

Re: Easy one (Beer and breweries) [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2011, 22:53
It was tricky to decide between A and C. But A is irrelevant so A is answer

Consider giving me kudos if you find my explanations helpful so i can learn how to express ideas to people more understandable.

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: IIBA
Schools: HBS, Stanford, Stern, Insead, ISB, Wharton, Columbia
WE 1: Information Technology (Banking and Financial Services)

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Easy one (Beer and breweries) [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2011, 10:49
Hey Tommy

Could you please help me understand below sentence ?

ANSWER: This would actually mean MORE people are drinking beer this year. But the discrepancy is that FEWER people are drinking beer, and sales are still up. That doesn't work.

Does the discrepancy say that FEWER people are drinking beer and sales are still up or Does it say that FEWER ADULTS are drinking beer, and sales are still up. (Notice the difference between people and adults)

If I do not replace ADULTS with PEOPLE, I may have a different opinion for Option C.

Total Initial Beer Drinkers=100 (Adults=50, Non Adults=50 )

Let's say
Non drinkers getting added=70 (Adults=40, Non Adults=30)
Initial beer drinkers who quit=50(all from Non Adults group)

Total Beer Drinkers now=120 ( Adult 90, Non Adults 30)

This does not resolve the discrepancy that FEWER ADULTS are drinking beer and sales are still up. Do I make sense ?

TommyWallach wrote:
Hey All,

Looks like there's some confusion on this one, so I figured I'd weigh in. Always feel free to PM me with any specific questions.

This is an explain the discrepancy question, which are often among the simplest on the test. This one makes things a bit more interesting by making it an EXCEPT question, but because it repeats the discrepancy itself in the question stem, all we need to do is think about what explains the EXACT discrepancy (not anything else).

PROBLEM: This does explain the discrepancy by playing off the word "adults". Sales among adults could be down, but sales among the underage could be up (more than adult sales are down), leading to the described discrepancy.

PROBLEM: Again, they're playing with "people" over "adults". This could thus explain the discrepancy if the people aren't adults.

PROBLEM: This does explain the discrepancy. In fact, it's the most obvious. I think D is popular here because people missed the EXCEPT. Classic!

PROBLEM: This explains why there are more sales, in spite of the fact that fewer people are drinking.

Hope that helps!

-tommy

P.S. In the future, don't put "easy one" on a question or no one will look at it. This one's actually quite tricky!

~soaringAlone
~Live fast, die young and leave a marketable corpse behind !!

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 159 [0], given: 40

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Easy one (Beer and breweries) [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2011, 19:05
psychomath wrote:

A only explains the sales of beer increase, but not explain the number of adults who drink bear decrease because the women and the men also are the ADULTS.

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Intern
Intern
WE 1: 2.10

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 11

Re: The beer industry is still very profitable and the [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2011, 19:57
Fell for C :(
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: The beer industry is still very profitable and the [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2011, 11:05
A
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 23

Re: The beer industry is still very profitable and the [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2013, 01:35
I chose C, and I'm not convinced that the hinge to distinguish between A & C is the assumption that "Women" and "Men" mentioned in option A are supposed to be adults while "non-drinkers" and "people" mentioned in C could be mistaken for non-adults.

Who's to say that Women and Men in (A) are adults?

Struggling: make or break attempt

Re: The beer industry is still very profitable and the   [#permalink] 07 Oct 2013, 01:35