Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 01:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The Bering Land Bridge, or Beringia, emerged in the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 14

The Bering Land Bridge, or Beringia, emerged in the [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2011, 12:51
The Bering Land Bridge, or Beringia, emerged in the Bering and Chukchi Seas following a gradual drop in sea level during the Quaternary period (the last 2 million years). About 20,000 years ago the land bridge extended from Unalaska Island of the Aleutian chain on the southeast, and from near the mouth of the Mackenzie River of Canada on the east to near the Kolyma and Indigirka rivers of eastern Siberia on the west, and northwestward to Cape Olyutorsky of the Koryak area north of the Kamchatka Peninsula.

Archaeologists believe that the first humans to penetrate North America used this bridge, migrating from northeast Asia to northwestern Canada. This migration probably occurred during the last major phase of the Wisconsin glaciation, a period that began approximately 30,000 years ago and lasted approximately 20,000 years. As this period ended, the two continents were separated as major continental ice sheets and other glaciers melted and caused the sea level to rise again. When the bridge existed, much of the area was not glaciated; it supported Arctic vegetation, particularly tundra, dry grasslands, marsh vegetation, and boreal forests. These plants supplied ample food for grazing animals, including horses, reindeer, and such Ice Age species as mammoths, mastodons, and woolly rhinoceros. The presence of fish and bird fossils points to the possibility that Beringia could have supported human communities.
The author’s argument in the second paragraph would be most supported by the discovery of
A) a 20,000-year-old, undersized mammoth skeleton on the Kamchatka Peninsula
B) 18,000-year-old cave drawings depicting humans and animals near the Mackenzie River
C) fossilized vegetation at Cape Olyutorsky that may have been part of the mammoth’s diet
D) a 35,000-year-old reindeer skeleton near the Kolyma River
E) similar 20,000-year-old human skeletons on Unalaska Island and at Cape Olyutorsky
[Reveal] Spoiler:
E

Am stumped yet again.. Please help with explanation. :help2

:boom

---Winners do it differently---

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 47

Re: Tough RC Specific question [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2011, 14:04
dude! where does the second para start? :-D

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate :
I am the captain of my soul.
~ William Ernest Henley

Manager
Manager

Re: Tough RC Specific question [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2011, 02:57
It starts from Line #15
Archaeologists believe that the first
humans to penetrate North America...

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 42

Re: Tough RC Specific question [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2011, 23:35
the authors argument is second para is "migration probably occurred during
the last major phase of the Wisconsin
glaciation, a period that began
approximately 30,000 years ago and
lasted approximately 20,000 years."

so we need some proof of human presence in the area and it should be around 20000 years old.
B and E look good.
i chose E because human fossil is much stronger proof than cave drawings.
can you provide the OE please?
Manager
Manager

Re: Tough RC Specific question [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2011, 09:06
last major phase of the Wisconsin
glaciation, a period that began
approximately 30,000 years ago and
lasted approximately 20,000 years...
That means it ended some 10000 years ago, and the last major phase (with no info about the length) should be something between 10000 and 20000 yrs ago.. and so i had selected B.. as it was 18000 yrs ago.. bt it says its E... how is E stronger or B weaker?

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 42

Re: Tough RC Specific question [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2011, 22:59
the claim is "migration occured from northeast Asia to northwestern Canada during last phase of ...."
now E says similar looking human fossils were discovered at Unalaska Island(northwestern Canada) and at Cape Olyutorsky(northeast Asia)
this shows that migration probably occured. im using the word probably because for this theory to be true i have to assume that original inhabitants and migrants had different skeletal structure.

B just talks about discovery of cave paintings,which could have been drawn by original human inhabitants living near makenzie river.
Manager
Manager

Re: Tough RC Specific question [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2011, 03:02
d3thknell wrote:
B just talks about discovery of cave paintings,which could have been drawn by original human inhabitants living near makenzie river.

Agreed. That makes sense. I was more confused about the time line.. if it's clearly mentioned that it happened in the last major phase, it should be less than 20000 yrs ago... (the process started 30000 yrs ago and went on for 20000 yrs).. I know that's not a sound reasoning as far as GMAT is concerned :P I am assuming the last major phase to start at least after the middle of the period.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: Tough RC Specific question [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2011, 19:51
+1 E

Last edited by zuberahmed on 11 Jul 2011, 19:54, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 87

CAT Tests
Re: Tough RC Specific question [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2011, 21:10
IMO - C
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 87

CAT Tests
Re: Tough RC Specific question [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2011, 22:13
what is the OA and the reason?
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: AIChE, AAEES, EIT
GPA: 3.8
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 19

Re: The Bering Land Bridge, or Beringia, emerged in the [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2012, 02:52
OA - E

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. (Gandhi)

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT Date: 04-02-2013

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: The Bering Land Bridge, or Beringia, emerged in the [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2013, 21:21
I'll go with E..

Human evidences are more strong... :P :P :P
Re: The Bering Land Bridge, or Beringia, emerged in the   [#permalink] 07 Jun 2013, 21:21