Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:59 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72879 [0]
Given Kudos: 18866
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: the best practice book???? [#permalink]
I have also Manhattan prep. which one do you guys suggest, manhattan or GMAT Official Guide?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Seagull88,

Most (if not all) Test Takers use a variety of study resources (books, Courses, practice CATs, online Forums, etc.) during their studies, so trying to narrow down everything to just 1 book is not practical. I'll be happy to offer advice and help you put together a study plan, but you'll need to provide some more information about your timeline and goals.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
these are all what i have:
1. manhattan gmat prep books( 8 + 2 additional)
2. gmat premier; everything you need to score higher 2012 (kaplan)
3.1012 gmat practice questions ( the Princeton Review)
4.gmat course book (kaplan)
5. gmat verbal review 2nd edition -the official guide
6. gmat cracking the gmat 2009 edition

i am thinking to take the test as soon as i feel confident with myself. I have a hypothetical goal; take the test in august or sep 2015. But not sure if i can do until that time. I starting studying using 1012 gmat practice questions ( the Princeton Review) but as I mentioned above it has vague answers. which book/ methodology from above do you suggest? or you have a better option?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Seagull88,

You've given yourself plenty of time to study, which is good. You haven't described any other part of your goals or plans though, so you really need to define some of those 'variables' if you're looking for pointed advice.

1) What is your score goal?
2) When do you plan to apply to Business School?
3) Have you thought about which Schools you'll be applying to?

4) Have you taken any practice CATs yet? If so, then what were your scores?

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Seagull88,

You've given yourself plenty of time to study, which is good. You haven't described any other part of your goals or plans though, so you really need to define some of those 'variables' if you're looking for pointed advice.

1) What is your score goal?
2) When do you plan to apply to Business School?
3) Have you thought about which Schools you'll be applying to?

4) Have you taken any practice CATs yet? If so, then what were your scores?

Rich

you're wasting my time. Please DO NOT respond back to my questions. You have asked me the same questions a couple of months ago.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3671 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Seagull -- given that the test is online, have you considered online resources -- not just books?

We have a great online resource that you may find quite helpful: https://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-test

Also, see if this sample video helps you: https://www.gmatpill.com/sentencecorrect ... ythons.mp4

or this one: https://www.gmatpill.com/problemsolving/og/222/222.mp4
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GMATPill wrote:
Seagull -- given that the test is online, have you considered online resources -- not just books?

We have a great online resource that you may find quite helpful: https://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-test

Also, see if this sample video helps you: https://www.gmatpill.com/sentencecorrect ... ythons.mp4

or this one: https://www.gmatpill.com/problemsolving/og/222/222.mp4

Thanks GMATPill, this is something new for me. 'll take a look and keep in touch if i have any questions.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
I was wondering about this as well. I've been focussing on the OG under the belief that it has the most realistic GMAT questions in ascending order of difficulty, and I'm scoring good hit rates in the most difficult questions in the book. But a friend of mine that's done the GMAT a few times and scored very well reckons the OG questions only provide a basic foundation, and that the GMAC online bank is the best resource for realistic questions.

Anyone have any thoughts on that?

I was planning to start hitting some other sources of practice questions very soon anyway since I'm pretty much done with the OG. It's just a matter of what.
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9243 [0]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Expert Reply
Official questions will be more realistic than any others you can find. The difference is especially noticeable in Verbal, less so in Quant if you work from high-quality third party material.

The OG will not feel quite as challenging as the real test, if you're already in a high scoring range. The OG covers all difficulty levels, so a considerable majority of OG questions will be below the level of a 700-level test taker. The OG also still contains a lot of older questions, questions from back when the GMAT was more straightforward (from before ACT started developing the test), and some of them feel rather dated now.

You'll get a fairer impression of what the real test is like by taking a GMATPrep test. If your hit rate is high on questions even at the end of the OG, it's extremely likely you'll score very well both on a GMATPrep and on the real test. But the test will definitely feel harder than the book. For further practice, the single best resource, if you've exhausted the books, is likely the official add-on question pack. Those questions are more contemporary than the OG ones, and while the pack isn't specifically for higher level test takers, it does contain several challenging questions. I'd not recommend other sources for Verbal, but for Quant there are some good third-party question sets.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Thanks Ian. That's good to hear.

Sorry just to clarify, when you say the official add-on question pack, do you mean the online question bank that you access with the key in the back of the OG? Or do you mean the Quantitative/Verbal review books that you can buy as a set with the OG? I have both.
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9243 [1]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
No, I mean the 'Question Pack 1' you'll find at mba.com - click the 'Buy Study Materials' menu at the top, then 'prepare for the GMAT exam', and you'll find a product called 'Question Pack 1' near the bottom of the page. That and the GMATPrep tests (the two free tests, and the two tests you can buy - Exam Pack 1) contain the questions most similar to what you'll see on test day.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 346 [1]
Given Kudos: 57
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
Send PM
Kudos
In my opinion MG guides coupled with OG are the best resources for GMAT
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi apoorv601,

The ultimate measure of any GMAT resource is whether it helps you to achieve your goals (or not). Since you've mentioned some specific books, I assume that you've been working with those materials. How have your studies been going so far? How have you been scoring on your practice CATs?

Rich
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1367 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
the best practice book???? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
"I have also Manhattan prep. which one do you guys suggest, manhattan or GMAT Official Guide?"

Hi Seagull,

I wouldn't make it a choice between the two. I'd say the more the better, since each source is better than others - some for questions, some for review, some for exams, etc. The official guide is essential no matter what, and I'd also suggest their supplementary books if you require more targeted practice. The Manhattan prep materials will prove very helpful in addition to the official guide materials. Don't forget the resources that are online and free. With a well-rounded collection of materials you should be more than prepared. Good luck!!!
GMAT Club Bot
the best practice book???? [#permalink]