Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 06:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
25 KUDOS received
Followers: 294

Kudos [?]: 2472 [25] , given: 693

The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2013, 11:07
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Though is suggested to improve Rc to read excerpts from books or magazines such as The new Yorker or The Economist, these have drawbacks:

- are not free of charge and cheap to subscribe
- maybe are too tough and require skills that not all students have or are far from the concepts related to Gmat
- are not so fun to catch your will to read
- having a reading fast and userfriendly on your laptop or smartphone (maybe an android :-D )

Instead here I suggest you the best resources that you may find to fix the aformentioned points.

BEST RESOURCES

Each site has its feed RSS; you could put them in your Feed Reader. I use the best at the moment; it is another level and experience to read this good stuff.

App for both iOS and Android.

Feedly

Hope you like my effort to improve your RC skills. :)

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2293

Kudos [?]: 9018 [2] , given: 3676

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2013, 16:01
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Thank you for sharing.

I am still more of a fiction/books guy. I feel that not home allow me to get into zone and focus for a long enough time.

The weakness of course is that books tend to be on paper but I found I could go longer and be less interrupted if I read a paper book instead of an article from an online publication.

This is purely me of course.

Posted from my mobile device.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received

Kudos [?]: 2472 [1] , given: 693

Re: The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2013, 08:56
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 27

Re: The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2013, 18:19
hi friends, I have a problem

when reading the Economist, I can understand the structure of the passage, but I can not understand the scientific process. in the tab" sicentific and technology" there are many scientifict passages all of which contain a description of scientific processeses

HOW TO UNDERSAND THE SCIENTIFIC PROCESSES ?

we can ignore or skim this scientific process but if a question ask us about this process. How do we do?

pls help
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 66

Re: The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2013, 01:51
+1 to "Sciencenews"
I've read three articles and they have already enriched my vocabulary. Thanks :wink:
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received

Kudos [?]: 2472 [1] , given: 693

Re: The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2013, 11:10
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 32 [1] , given: 1

Re: The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2013, 21:56
This post received
KUDOS
Expert Post

Kudos [?]: 2472 [0], given: 693

Re: The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2013, 03:12
Expert's post
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2013, 01:35
Hi
This is very interesting topic. I like it thank you.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V46
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 115 [1] , given: 12

Re: The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2013, 17:48
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi all,

Great suggestions here. The important thing is to read something that challenges you. Also, try to vary the topics that you read. In terms of the drawbacks, the Economist subscription is pretty cheap when you think about how much content there is in the magazine but besides that I think there are at least 5 free articles per week readable on Android/IOs/Windows/OSX. Again, there are a many good options out there. I think that weekly/monthly/quarterly periodicals tend to be better than daily periodicals because the writing usually has more depth. Ultimately, go for what works for you.

Happy Studies,

HG

"It is a curious property of research activity that after the problem has been solved the solution seems obvious. This is true not only for those who have not previously been acquainted with the problem, but also for those who have worked over it for years." -Dr. Edwin Land

GMAT Sample Questions to assess your GMAT Quant.

If you found my post useful KUDOS are much appreciated.

IMPROVE YOUR READING COMPREHENSION with the ECONOMIST READING COMPREHENSION CHALLENGE:

Here is the first set along with some strategies for approaching this work: http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-economist-reading-comprehension-challenge-151479.html

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 150

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2013, 20:26
bb wrote:
Thank you for sharing.

I am still more of a fiction/books guy. I feel that not home allow me to get into zone and focus for a long enough time.

The weakness of course is that books tend to be on paper but I found I could go longer and be less interrupted if I read a paper book instead of an article from an online publication.

Can you suggest some quality fiction novels? I guess you have made a thread for that but I really can't find it..
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 14

Re: The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2013, 10:29
b2bt wrote:
bb wrote:
Thank you for sharing.

Can you suggest some quality fiction novels? I guess you have made a thread for that but I really can't find it..

This is what you are looking for

books-to-read-improve-verbal-score-and-enjoy-a-good-read-76079.html

Cheers

CLICK +1 KUDOS PLEASE IF MY POST HELPED

CHEERS

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT Date: 06-22-2013
WE: Engineering (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 10

Re: The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2014, 09:59
carcass wrote:
Though is suggested to improve Rc to read excerpts from books or magazines such as The new Yorker or The Economist, these have drawbacks:

- are not free of charge and cheap to subscribe
- maybe are too tough and require skills that not all students have or are far from the concepts related to Gmat
- are not so fun to catch your will to read
- having a reading fast and userfriendly on your laptop or smartphone (maybe an android :-D )

Instead here I suggest you the best resources that you may find to fix the aformentioned points.

BEST RESOURCES

Each site has its feed RSS; you could put them in your Feed Reader. I use the best at the moment; it is another level and experience to read this good stuff.

App for both iOS and Android.

Feedly

Hope you like my effort to improve your RC skills. :)

Very interested in Sceincenews, yet not excited about forking over $50 for a subscription. Any runaround for that?
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 05-07-2014
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 4

Re: The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2014, 02:03
Fast Company and The Verge. I like both of them.

But reading online is such a pain. :(
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension [#permalink] New post 06 May 2014, 05:33
IREADER is a tool for mozilla firefox.....u can download it to make you read better. It is wonderful tool.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension [#permalink] New post 26 May 2014, 21:16
Would like to much obliged for imparting this with us.. :) :) :) :)

.......Ryanne
Re: The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension   [#permalink] 26 May 2014, 21:16