Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 11:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The big outside purple square above has an area of 84

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 539

Kudos [?]: 2264 [1] , given: 31

The big outside purple square above has an area of 84 [#permalink] New post 13 May 2013, 09:53
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

86% (02:59) correct 14% (01:08) wrong based on 36 sessions
Give yourself a strict time limit of 90 second for this question.
Attachment:
square with area 84.JPG
square with area 84.JPG [ 22.64 KiB | Viewed 537 times ]

The big outside purple square above has an area of 84, and the dots are all equal spaced, forming smaller squares. What is the sum of the areas of the shaded yellow regions?
(A) 20
(B) 24
(C) 28
(D) 32
(E) 36

GMAT students often say, "I could do better on the GMAT Quant if I had unlimited time, but I am always running of time on the hard problems, and I don't know how to do the math faster." Problems such as this, when done via a methodical, long, tedious calculation, can take quite some time, and open up the possibility of numerous calculation errors. When a problem like this appears on the GMAT, there simply has to be some insight method that presents a shortcut to the answer, much easier than the long tedious piece-by-piece calculation.

See this blog for a detailed discussion of this problem-solving perspective:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/how-to-do- ... th-faster/
as well as a complete solution to this particular question.

Experts: any tips you would like to add for doing GMAT math faster?

Mike :-)
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 4

Re: The big outside purple square above has an area of 84 [#permalink] New post 13 May 2013, 10:02
there are 7X7 squares. Area of each square is 84/49.

Now count the no of squares in yellow. If you face a triangle, try analysing it as a half of rectangle (2square). The total no of squares will be 24.
24 * 84/49 = 24.
IMO B.

Took me 01:59.

Any simpler approach?
3 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 113

Kudos [?]: 1191 [3] , given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The big outside purple square above has an area of 84 [#permalink] New post 13 May 2013, 10:07
This post received
KUDOS
We can solve this in 30 sec if we traspose the figures(refer to the image)

The area covered is \frac{2}{7} of the total (2 columns)

So area is 84*\frac{2}{7}=24
Attachments

square with area 84.JPG
square with area 84.JPG [ 33.21 KiB | Viewed 522 times ]

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 640 Q42 V37
GPA: 3.5
WE: Web Development (Computer Software)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 14

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The big outside purple square above has an area of 84 [#permalink] New post 13 May 2013, 10:08
Did take lil time to figure out the trick to it! The answer is [B] :)

The trick is to place all the cut sections together and realize that they form a rectangle of 2x*x/ 7 are where x is the side. We already know that x^2 = 84. If we substitute the values we can find that the answer is 24! took me 1:58. I believe this is the shortest way to it :)

Regards,
Arpan

Feed me some KUDOS! :) :) *always hungry*

My Thread : Recommendation Letters

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 59

Kudos [?]: 191 [0], given: 66

Re: The big outside purple square above has an area of 84 [#permalink] New post 13 May 2013, 11:03
Expert's post
arpanpatnaik wrote:
Did take lil time to figure out the trick to it! The answer is [B] :)

The trick is to place all the cut sections together and realize that they form a rectangle of 2x*x/ 7 are where x is the side. We already know that x^2 = 84. If we substitute the values we can find that the answer is 24! took me 1:58. I believe this is the shortest way to it :)

Regards,
Arpan

Yeah it might take 30+ seconds just to see the trick of moving the triangles over, it certainly wasn't obvious to me at first. But the shapes of the three figures hint at how the three shapes interconnect, in particular the one block on its own and the triangular shape missing only one square. Once you put them together the yellow portions fill 2 entire columns out of 7, and if you're familiar with the multiplication table you may quickly identify 84 as being 12 x 7, meaning that you have 2/7 of the table filled, with each 1/7 corresponding to exactly 12 units. Ergo, 24. Good question! It took me about a minute just to see the trick and then 15 seconds from there. Sometimes it's good to spend a little time figuring out the correct way instead of diving into calculating the area of irregular shapes.

Hope this helps!
-Ron

Ron Awad
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting Services
Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: The big outside purple square above has an area of 84 [#permalink] New post 13 May 2013, 11:04
This is easy - with a little experience at pattern recognition! :P

If you put the regions shaded in yellow together - you will be able to fill up two rows of squares - completely. The area of the shaded region, therefore is 2/7th of 84 or 24 units.

Cheers!

Karthik
Founder and CEO,
August Academy,
Chennai.

http://www.augustacademy.in

Re: The big outside purple square above has an area of 84   [#permalink] 13 May 2013, 11:04