Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 12:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The Board of Trustees of the Federici Art Museum has decided

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, General Management
Schools: ISB '16
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 204 [0], given: 312

Premium Member CAT Tests
The Board of Trustees of the Federici Art Museum has decided [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2013, 12:19
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

70% (02:34) correct 30% (02:13) wrong based on 92 sessions
12. The Board of Trustees of the Federici Art Museum has decided to sell some works from its collection in order to raise the funds necessary to refurbish its galleries. Although this may seem like a drastic remedy, the curator had long maintained that among the paintings that the late Ms. Federici collected for the museum were several unsuccessful immature works by Renoir and Cezanne that should be sold because they are of inferior quality and so add nothing to the overall quality of the museum’s collection. Hence, the board’s action will not detract from the museum’s collection.

Which one of the following, if true, most weaken the argument?
(A) The directors of an art museum can generally raise funds for refurbishing the building in which the museum’s collection is housed by means other than selling parts of its collection.
(B) The quality of an art collection is determined not just by the quality of its paintings, but by what development of the artistic talent and ideas of the artists represented.
(C) The immature woks by Renoir and Cezanne that were purchased by Ms. Federici were at that time thought by some critics to be unimportant juvenile works.
(D) Those people who speculate in art by purchasing artworks merely to sell them at much higher prices welcome inflation in the art market, but curators of art museum regret the inflation in the art market.
(E) The best work of a great artist demands much higher prices in the art market than the worst work of that same artist.
Source: 300 CR
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Rgds,
TGC!

Expert Post
Followers: 288

Kudos [?]: 2416 [0], given: 693

Re: The Board of Trustees of the Federici Art Museum has decided [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2013, 13:08
Expert's post
Director
Director

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: The Board of Trustees of the Federici Art Museum has decided [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2013, 13:16
carcass wrote:
the 700 level comes from the source ?? I mean this question by the source is tagged as a 700 level question ??'

It has been taken from 300 GMAT CR problems DOC ,which itself says that all questions are 700 -level.

Rgds,
TGC!

Expert Post
Followers: 288

Kudos [?]: 2416 [0], given: 693

Re: The Board of Trustees of the Federici Art Museum has decided [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2013, 13:21
Expert's post
targetgmatchotu wrote:
carcass wrote:
the 700 level comes from the source ?? I mean this question by the source is tagged as a 700 level question ??'

It has been taken from 300 GMAT CR problems DOC ,which itself says that all questions are 700 -level.

Thanks

Though I do not think is a 700 level question. Moreover, i do not know if the doc in question is official material or from where it comes but often what is tagged for 700 level indeed is not.

For sure this question is not 700, at most 600 ;)

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Healthcare, Finance
GPA: 3.87
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 21

Re: The Board of Trustees of the Federici Art Museum has decided [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2013, 13:46
targetgmatchotu wrote:
12. The Board of Trustees of the Federici Art Museum has decided to sell some works from its collection in order to raise the funds necessary to refurbish its galleries. Although this may seem like a drastic remedy, the curator had long maintained that among the paintings that the late Ms. Federici collected for the museum were several unsuccessful immature works by Renoir and Cezanne that should be sold because they are of inferior quality and so add nothing to the overall quality of the museum’s collection. Hence, the board’s action will not detract from the museum’s collection.

Which one of the following, if true, most weaken the argument?
(A) The directors of an art museum can generally raise funds for refurbishing the building in which the museum’s collection is housed by means other than selling parts of its collection.
(B) The quality of an art collection is determined not just by the quality of its paintings, but by what development of the artistic talent and ideas of the artists represented.
(C) The immature woks by Renoir and Cezanne that were purchased by Ms. Federici were at that time thought by some critics to be unimportant juvenile works.
(D) Those people who speculate in art by purchasing artworks merely to sell them at much higher prices welcome inflation in the art market, but curators of art museum regret the inflation in the art market.
(E) The best work of a great artist demands much higher prices in the art market than the worst work of that same artist.
Source: 300 CR

My reasoning for "B"

works by Renoir and Cezanne that should be sold because they are of inferior quality and so add nothing to the overall quality of the museum’s collection

So lower quality of one or two paintings>>Less overall quality of the museum collection.

Assume no other factor can be used to determine the overall quality of a museum collection.

Insert B

The quality of an art collection is determined not just by the quality of its paintings, but by what development of the artistic talent and ideas of the artists represented.

B clearly weakens the argument by presenting another factor that can affect the overall quality of the museum's collections.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: The Board of Trustees of the Federici Art Museum has decided [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2013, 15:45
I am backing option B..the conclusion in the stimulus says that some artwork should be sold due to inferiority they posses..i.e according to quality of the artwork..Now check out how option B really crashes that point by inferring that inferiority is not based on quality only..
Director
Director

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: The Board of Trustees of the Federici Art Museum has decided [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2013, 22:07
carcass wrote:
targetgmatchotu wrote:
carcass wrote:

Thanks

Though I do not think is a 700 level question. Moreover, i do not know if the doc in question is official material or from where it comes but often what is tagged for 700 level indeed is not.

For sure this question is not 700, at most 600 ;)

You are CR master any problem for you is gonna be 600 level :P .... Just kidding ,anyways I found that the source is LSAT 300 problems and LSAT problems are way ahead of GMAT in critical reasoning.That is what I have read in this forum only.

Rgds,

Rgds,
TGC!

Re: The Board of Trustees of the Federici Art Museum has decided   [#permalink] 25 Jan 2013, 22:07