Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 11:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The Brand Name... How Much Weight?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 10

The Brand Name... How Much Weight? [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2010, 10:35
This post received
KUDOS
It's obvious that high notch business schools grads can easily find decent jobs outside US, but How you define TOP NOTCH in some parts of the world where many American Ultra Elite business schools are completely unknown?!

In GCC countries such as Qatar, UAE (Dubai, Abu Dhabi) and KSA, everyone knows Harvard and Yale, some know Stanford, MIT, and Georgetown, however, the vast majority of people even those who are working in financial institutions have absolutely no clue about business schools such as Kellogg, Tuck, Darden, or Duke "well, they know Duke NBA not MBA" even big names like Wharton is not familiar, unless you say that you're from Penn University then you will be known because it's an Ivy League.

I want here to shed some light on the fact that University name really matters, specially if you're seeking for a job outside the states. A friend of mine who is a US MBA grad and currently working for one of the biggest Banks in Dubai told me "Don't think that you can showoff your MBA just because it's from Tuck or Chicago Booth, on the other hand, you can expect very high salary if you have MBA from Yale, Michigan or Georgetown "

I would really like to hear your feedback on this... negative opinions/answers are most welcome :-)

Yahya
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 2

Re: The Brand Name... How Much Weight? [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2010, 11:40
School name serves mainly the purpose to help HR separate your resume from the pile. After that, when you are called for interview, it's all about you. I don't think that someone would give you a higher salary just based on the name of your school. It's not that such places don't exist, but the question is would you like to work there. At the end of the day, people care about what you can do for them and you'll be rewarded if your present or future boss sees in you potential to help him. Of course, you cannot expect US schools to be as known abroad as in the US and you will always have people internationally who have not heard of this or that school. My opinion is that if at some company the recruiters haven't heard of your school and it is a top one, then it's not really worth it to work there as an MBA. If they care about hiring people with that degree, they would know the top programs.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 10

Re: The Brand Name... How Much Weight? [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2010, 02:05
sniperssk wrote:
School name serves mainly the purpose to help HR separate your resume from the pile. After that, when you are called for interview, it's all about you. I don't think that someone would give you a higher salary just based on the name of your school. It's not that such places don't exist, but the question is would you like to work there. At the end of the day, people care about what you can do for them and you'll be rewarded if your present or future boss sees in you potential to help him. Of course, you cannot expect US schools to be as known abroad as in the US and you will always have people internationally who have not heard of this or that school. My opinion is that if at some company the recruiters haven't heard of your school and it is a top one, then it's not really worth it to work there as an MBA. If they care about hiring people with that degree, they would know the top programs.

Well, I’ve been working in GCC for almost four years and I can assure you that you can get very high salary based merely on the name of your school. One of our mangers is getting $230K a year (excluding the Bonus); he is good but more important he is MIT grads. Moreover, you may be surprised to know that some US schools from the second tier such as George Washington, John Hopkins, Michigan State are more recognized than some from top tier. Anyway, I'll list some information regarding what we call "International Schools" although many of these schools don't really look international...

-Yale is top notch here, only Harvard can beat Yale.

-Michigan & Georgetown are Big names; you are a Big Shot if you have your MBA from any of their schools.

-You are more likely to be known if you are from Cornell or Berkley than if you are from Wharton or Chicago.

-Tuck, Darden, Duke, Kellogg, USC, Carnegie Mellon are completely UNKNOWN!! Only few people, probably MBA fans might have a clue about them, although Duke has recently opened a Learning Center in Dubai and Both Northwestern & Carnegie Mellon have lunched their first undergrad branches in Qatar.

I just don’t find any justifications on how some less elite schools could build strong reputation outside the states while a lot of top ranked ones are still trying to…

Yahya
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 21

GMAT Tests User
Re: The Brand Name... How Much Weight? [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2010, 03:24
I agree that in some corporate environments, some BS such as Booth or Kellog or Wharton are not very well known. Sometimes, it is better to have a famous "international brand" such as Berkely or Yale, even if the MBA program is relatively less prestigious, just because people heard the name in a different context (a movie :)
However, I think tht hings are changing progressively: HR tend to be more educated on this topic. But in country other than US, UK, Australia, it is definitely the case. Good point

If you find the post useful, don't be shy and Kudo me ;)

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: The Brand Name... How Much Weight? [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2010, 08:57
warrak2000 wrote:
sniperssk wrote:
School name serves mainly the purpose to help HR separate your resume from the pile. After that, when you are called for interview, it's all about

-Michigan & Georgetown are Big names; you are a Big Shot if you have your MBA from any of their schools.

-You are more likely to be known if you are from Cornell or Berkley than if you are from Wharton or Chicago.

-Tuck, Darden, Duke, Kellogg, USC, Carnegie Mellon are completely UNKNOWN!! Only few people, probably MBA fans might have a clue about them, although Duke has recently opened a Learning Center in Dubai and Both Northwestern & Carnegie Mellon have lunched their first undergrad branches in Qatar.

I just don’t find any justifications on how some less elite schools could build strong reputation outside the states while a lot of top ranked ones are still trying to…

Yahya

To be honest i think its Hollywood. The names people know are also the ones which appear in movies. Its not actually about the quality of the education, but instant name brand recognition. Annoying but I think that's the way it works.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 2

Re: The Brand Name... How Much Weight? [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2010, 17:32
warrak2000 wrote:
sniperssk wrote:

Well, I’ve been working in GCC for almost four years and I can assure you that you can get very high salary based merely on the name of your school. One of our mangers is getting $230K a year (excluding the Bonus); he is good but more important he is MIT grads. Moreover, you may be surprised to know that some US schools from the second tier such as George Washington, John Hopkins, Michigan State are more recognized than some from top tier. Anyway, I'll list some information regarding what we call "International Schools" although many of these schools don't really look international...

Yahya

Yeah, these things surely happen. All I am saying is that people like your manager don't get their salaries purely based on their school. Rather, their school served as a label for HR to pay more attention to their candidature, but they got their offer based on performance in interviews and such. It is a fine point of distinction, I know. It's not that you don't get people hired purely based on school, but you need to consider their competition in these regions - even if someone else is equally good, but does not have a brand, he will not get hired over the guy with MIT. I am not surprised that Tuck, Darden, Duke, Kellogg, USC are not that well-known. It is the same in Europe. The US universities that are known worldwide are the ones that have large research budgets and/or have prominent sports teams. Some of them are more well-known because of references on TV or in movies. You'll always have information imperfections as you go out of the States.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 10

Re: The Brand Name... How Much Weight? [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2010, 22:04
drisss wrote:
I agree that in some corporate environments, some BS such as Booth or Kellog or Wharton are not very well known. Sometimes, it is better to have a famous "international brand" such as Berkely or Yale, even if the MBA program is relatively less prestigious, just because people heard the name in a different context (a movie :)
However, I think tht hings are changing progressively: HR tend to be more educated on this topic. But in country other than US, UK, Australia, it is definitely the case. Good point

Agree, I think it’s one of the advantages of being a graduate of big university name regardless of how elite the business school is, especially outside US where employers are more familiar with universities names than they are with B/S brands.

Thanks,
Yahya

Last edited by warrak2000 on 16 Dec 2010, 22:01, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 21

GMAT Tests User
Re: The Brand Name... How Much Weight? [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2010, 07:37
Interesting discussion!! That would help people making a BS choice when considering working outside the US
Cheers guys

If you find the post useful, don't be shy and Kudo me ;)

Re: The Brand Name... How Much Weight?   [#permalink] 16 Dec 2010, 07:37