Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 05:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The brother of the Titanic's captain asked after the

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 Oct 2006
Posts: 19
Location: India
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

The brother of the Titanic's captain asked after the [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2006, 23:49
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
The brother of the Titanic's captain asked after the sinking: what should his life have been if he had not been lured into that last, fateful voyage?

A) what should his life have been if he had not been lured into that last, fateful voyage

B) what will his life have been if he were not lured into that last, fateful voyage

C) what would his life have been if he had not been lured into that last, fateful voyage

D) what could his life have been had not he been lured into that last, fateful voyage

E) what would his life be if he had only resisted the lure of that last fateful voyage
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 Oct 2006
Posts: 19
Location: India
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2006, 01:17
why not E???
in C i suppose there is a flavour of "passive"
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 29 Jan 2005
Posts: 5252
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 139 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2006, 03:04
"would" assuming that he didn't survive the sinking.

Question is, how do we know that that question was ever asked if both the captain and his brother went down with the ship :?:
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 23 Jun 2005
Posts: 847
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 1

Re: SC - Titanic [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2006, 03:11
freak_out wrote:
The brother of the Titanic's captain asked after the sinking: what should his life have been if he had not been lured into that last, fateful voyage?

A) what should his life have been if he had not been lured into that last, fateful voyage

B) what will his life have been if he were not lured into that last, fateful voyage

C) what would his life have been if he had not been lured into that last, fateful voyage

D) what could his life have been had not he been lured into that last, fateful voyage

E) what would his life be if he had only resisted the lure of that last fateful voyage

C
We need "would" in the answer, so C and E stand. E seems to change the original sentence too much.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 23 Jun 2005
Posts: 847
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 1

 [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2006, 03:20
GMATT73 wrote:
"would" assuming that he didn't survive the sinking.

Question is, how do we know that that question was ever asked if both the captain and his brother went down with the ship :?:


I think the "his" in the argument refers to the captain, rather than the captain's brother. The brother was not on the Titanic at all. :wink: What do you think?
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 29 Jan 2005
Posts: 5252
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 139 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2006, 04:06
anandsebastin wrote:
GMATT73 wrote:
"would" assuming that he didn't survive the sinking.

Question is, how do we know that that question was ever asked if both the captain and his brother went down with the ship :?:


I think the "his" in the argument refers to the captain, rather than the captain's brother. The brother was not on the Titanic at all. :wink: What do you think?


I'm reading the question as "if he had not been lured..." Translation---> he was lured aboard, and unfortunately did go down with the ship...
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 Oct 2006
Posts: 19
Location: India
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2006, 05:52
OA is C

so i think, in case the main ques has "passive", then we should follow with passive only....although in GMAT, passive voice is generally avoided
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 11 Jul 2006
Posts: 385
Location: TX
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2006, 09:38
For some reason I was thinking this was a subjunctive mood. Went with B ...


Yes , C looks correct now .
  [#permalink] 21 Oct 2006, 09:38
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
asking for recommendation after receiving promotion doggdetroit 1 25 Jul 2013, 17:33
How to ask for scholarships after admission lemonsmell 1 15 Feb 2012, 18:13
The brother of the Titanic's captain asked after the vscid 8 13 Jan 2009, 18:28
After Queen Isabella asked Admiral Columbus to describe the Riuscita 6 06 Apr 2006, 18:01
After Queen Isabella asked Admiral Columbus to describe the ywilfred 2 07 Sep 2005, 06:29
Display posts from previous: Sort by

The brother of the Titanic's captain asked after the

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.