Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 20:00 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 20:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6508 [133]
Given Kudos: 100
 Q44  V38
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 1807 [21]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4074 [18]
Given Kudos: 18
Name: Ronak Amin
Schools: IIM Lucknow (IPMX) - Class of 2014
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
The budget for education reflects the administration's [#permalink]
The budget for education reflects the administration's demand that the money is controlled by local school districts, but it can only be spent on teachers, not on books, computers, or other materials or activities.

A. the money is controlled by local school districts, but it can only be spent
B. the money be controlled by local school districts, but it allows them to spend the money only
C. the money is to be controlled by local school districts, but allowing it only to be spent
D. local school districts are in control of the money, but it allows them to spend the money only
E. local school districts are to be in control of the money, but it can only spend it

I have a problem with this one...

see below

I am perfectly aware of the command subjective...but in this case I chose A because it seemd to me that "demand" is a noun here not a verb (as common subjective) Can anyone explain this to me please

thanks
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [15]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: Problem with justifying the Command Subjunctive here [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Why should we think that only a verb and not a noun could carry the mandatoriness or command factor? It is the necessity to comply with the said factor that decides use of the command word.

Look at this following sentence ‘Spoke’ by itself is not command word; It is the condition, a noun that implies the command and thereby justifies the subjunctive.

Several financial officers of the company spoke on condition that they not be named in the press reports.

A. that they not be named
B. that their names will not be used
C. that their names are not used
D. of not having their names
E. of not naming them

The answer is A

Here is another example from Urch.com’s Erin

While many politicians have been able to abuse recent changes in the law, the original spirit of the bill was that it was equally applied to all residents, no matter their socio-economic status.

O that it was equally applied to all residents, no matter their socio-economic status
O that it was equally applied to all residents, and their socio-economic status did not matter
O that it was to be applied equally to all residents, no matter their socio-economic status
O that it be applied equally to every resident, no matter their socio-economic status
O that it be equally applied to all residents, no matter their socio-economic status

Here the command factor is derived from the word ‘spirit’ of the bill, which citizens are supposed to obey.

The answer is E.

Here are some tips for you from 800Bob

Quote:
“When a verb, noun, or adjective of recommendation, requirement, or request is followed by a "that" clause, the verb in the "that" clause will be in the subjunctive mood. But a verb, noun, or adjective of recommendation, requirement, or request does not have to be followed by a "that" clause.”

HTH
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1480 [6]
Given Kudos: 116
Concentration: International Business, Strategy
GMAT Date: 07-30-2012
GPA: 2.66
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Although i choosed the right option. I am still not very sure whats the POE in the question.
It seems like it is infinitive and subjunctive way of reporting, but how does the right option corrects this //sm error?
Some help on this.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [1]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: The budget for education reflects the administration's [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
The POE involves only one factor that the subjunctive has to come into play since there is a bossy word –demand-; the second part is an IC that need not be subjunctive since the verb– allows- is simply an indicative verb. There is no formality that two consecutive clauses should both be subjunctive.

As per this scheme, you can instantly kick all but B, which is the only subjunctive form using the base form – be controlled-.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 194 [1]
Given Kudos: 275
Kudos
Hello experts

Little confused here with two things:
1) Can 'be controlled' be a verb for money?
2) In the last clause, what is the verb for 'it'?

Thanks
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 984 [3]
Given Kudos: 1021
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
GMAT 2: 770 Q49 V48
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V47
GMAT 4: 790 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q168 V167

GRE 2: Q170 V169
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Shiv2016,

Quote:
Little confused here with two things:
1) Can 'be controlled' be a verb for money?
2) In the last clause, what is the verb for 'it'?

1) Choice B uses the passive voice (ie "...demand that the money be controlled by local school districts...") instead of the active voice (which would be written, for example, as "...demand that local school districts control the money.." In either case, the local school districts are controlling the money, and the money is not the agent of the action.

2) "it allows them to spend the money only on teachers, not on books, computers, or other materials or activities." The subject is "it" (ie "the budget"), and the verb is "allows", where an applicable definition of "allow" (from https://www.merriam-webster.com/) is "to assign as a share or suitable amount (as of time or money), ie 'allow an hour for lunch'"
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 984 [0]
Given Kudos: 1021
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
GMAT 2: 770 Q49 V48
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V47
GMAT 4: 790 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q168 V167

GRE 2: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
Quote:
One more thing: in the original sentence, "it can only be spent...".
What is the verb for 'it' ? can or be spent?

Here we have the passive voice again, and the verb is "can be spent" (modal + auxiliary verb + past participle). The subject (it) is being acted upon, and the agent of the action is implied rather than explicitly stated (spent by whom? by local school districts).

I hope that helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 293 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V31
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
tejal777 wrote:
The budget for education reflects the administration's demand that the money is controlled by local school districts, but it can only be spent on teachers, not on books, computers, or other materials or activities.

B. the money be controlled by local school districts, but it allows them to spend the money only
C. the money is to be controlled by local school districts, but allowing it only to be spent
D. local school districts are in control of the money, but it allows them to spend the money only
E. local school districts are to be in control of the money, but it can only spend it

I understand that due to subjunctive rule, we ought to select B but the 'it' in the second part of the sentence is bothering me.
'but it allows them to spend..'

I get that the 'it' is referring to the budget but aren't we being made to assume that here? Generally such a sentence with both 'it' and 'them' in the same line and far away from their antecedents would have been eliminated for being confusing and not clear.

Explanation needed!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 237
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3
Send PM
eddy8700 wrote:

subjunctive mood only B is correct

Apart from considering subjunctive mode, Can D be the possible answer if not B ?
Also as mentioned D is in active voice which is preferred in GMAT.
Can someone suggest the difference btw D and B not in terms of subjunctive ?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [3]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
ashikaverma13 wrote:
I understand that due to subjunctive rule, we ought to select B but the 'it' in the second part of the sentence is bothering me.
'but it allows them to spend..'

I get that the 'it' is referring to the budget but aren't we being made to assume that here? Generally such a sentence with both 'it' and 'them' in the same line and far away from their antecedents would have been eliminated for being confusing and not clear.

Explanation needed!

The pronoun "them" is definitely okay because there is only one possible antecedent ("districts" is the only plural noun before the pronoun).

At first glance, the use of the pronoun "it" seems ambiguous because there are multiple singular nouns before the pronoun. However, in this case, we have two subject-verb pairs in two clauses linked by the conjunction "but". In such cases, the subject pronoun ("it") always refers unambiguously to the subject of the first independent clause. Check out this GMAT Club YouTube video for more on this particular pronoun issue.

But don't worry too much if that rule isn't clear for now; just make sure you understand why the other four choices are wrong!

sumanainampudi wrote:
Apart from considering subjunctive mode, Can D be the possible answer if not B ?
Also as mentioned D is in active voice which is preferred in GMAT.
Can someone suggest the difference btw D and B not in terms of subjunctive ?

The GMAT might prefer the active voice to the passive voice, but in this sentence there is no way around the subjunctive. Choice (D) has to be eliminated because it does not use the subjunctive. If choice (D) were changed to "local school districts be in control of the money, but it allows them to spend the money only" (replace "are" with the subjunctive form "be"), then it would be acceptable.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [1]
Given Kudos: 1059
Send PM
Kudos
tejal777 wrote:

The budget for education reflects the administration's demand that .......................................on teachers, not on books, computers, or other materials or activities.

In 2nd main clause starting with but - subject pronoun "it" refers to subject "budget" in previous clause. "Them" object pronoun refers to "school district" object of relative clause starting with the "that the ....."

pronoun and the antecedent agree in case and number.

Also note that possessive pronoun may refer to non-possesive nouns.
The budget for education reflects the administration´s demand for the money which is controlled by local school distrits and that can only be spent on.......

I chose D because it is not clear what the pronoun "It" in the second part of the sentence is referring to. So the options were B and D. I didn't understand the first part of the sentence, so I guess that my mistakes were there. I chose D and the correct answer was B.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 74 [0]
Given Kudos: 75
Send PM
In B option, can it refers to administration?
Can a non-possessive pronoun refer to possessive noun?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [0]
Given Kudos: 626
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
Kanika3agg wrote:
In B option, can it refers to administration?
Can a non-possessive pronoun refer to possessive noun?
Hi Kanika3agg,

The "rule" that a possessive noun and a subject/object pronoun cannot be used together is not followed universally, and there is no reason to believe that the GMAT follows it.

In this official question, Elizabeth Barrett Browning's and she are used together in the correct option.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Send PM
Hello experts,

How can we identify the subject the word "it" is referring to in the original sentence? Per my understanding "it" refers to money however in the OA its stated that "it" must not refer to "money" .

Could you please advise on an easy way to identify the subject and pronoun in such cases?

Thanks in advance
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [2]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
pg03 wrote:
Hello experts,

How can we identify the subject the word "it" is referring to in the original sentence? Per my understanding "it" refers to money however in the OA its stated that "it" must not refer to "money" .

Could you please advise on an easy way to identify the subject and pronoun in such cases?

Thanks in advance

When you see a pronoun, first look for nouns that could be the antecedent for that pronoun. Because the pronoun "it" is singular, we're looking for a singular noun. Once you've identified the options, see whether one of them makes sense in the context of the sentence.

In this sentence, we have a few options:

• "budget" : this would make sense. Replacing "it" with "budget," we have "but [the budget] can only be spent on teachers, not on books..."
  • "the administration's demand" : Nope. It makes no sense to say that "[the administration's demand] can only be spent on teachers...
  • "the money" : this one also makes sense. "but [the money] can only be spent on teachers, not on books..."

Here, we have two nouns that actually work with the meaning of the sentence -- a somewhat rare occurrence on the GMAT. But is it actually a problem?

Not really, for a couple of reasons. First, pronoun ambiguity is not a definite error on the test. If there were NO singular nouns that make sense, then we'd have a big problem -- but it's not necessarily a dealbreaker to have a multiple singular nouns, so long as at least one works with the meaning of the sentence.

Second, the construction of this sentence tells us pretty clearly that "it" refers back to "budget," not to "money." In this sentence, we have two subject-verb pairs in two clauses linked by the conjunction "but". In such cases, the subject pronoun ("it") can generally refer unambiguously to the subject of the first independent clause. Check out this video for more on this particular pronoun issue.

I hope that helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 327
GMAT 1: 570 Q46 V21
Send PM
tejal777 wrote:

Hi AjiteshArun GMATNinjaTwo egmat

The budget for education reflects the administration's demand that the money is controlled by local school districts, but it can only be spent on teachers, not on books, computers, or other materials or activities

As per my understanding of the above sentence
The subject is Budget and Verb is reflects and the Object is administration's demand

However, As per my understanding of subjunctive verb which expresses - demands, wants, desire ,wishes etc. The trigger words such as demand, recommend , want etc. act as a verb.
Ex - He demanded that Alex be made the president of the council.

Demanded acts as a verb

However, the question seems to be a different case to me.

My doubt is that - The word 'demand' here doesn't act as a verb but an object , then can we still refer it still as a bossy verb and follow the rule of Subjunctive construction?

Regards,
Ahmed
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
Ahmed9955 wrote:
tejal777 wrote:

Hi AjiteshArun GMATNinjaTwo egmat

The budget for education reflects the administration's demand that the money is controlled by local school districts, but it can only be spent on teachers, not on books, computers, or other materials or activities

As per my understanding of the above sentence
The subject is Budget and Verb is reflects and the Object is administration's demand

However, As per my understanding of subjunctive verb which expresses - demands, wants, desire ,wishes etc. The trigger words such as demand, recommend , want etc. act as a verb.
Ex - He demanded that Alex be made the president of the council.

Demanded acts as a verb

However, the question seems to be a different case to me.

My doubt is that - The word 'demand' here doesn't act as a verb but an object , then can we still refer it still as a bossy verb and follow the rule of Subjunctive construction?

Regards,
Ahmed

Hello Ahmed9955,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, the subjunctive mood is perfectly applicable here, even though technically there is no bossy verb at play; the use of the noun "demand" still conveys a sense of necessity, which is what makes the subjunctive mood preferable in this context.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts