Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 22:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The campers were usually allowed to pack only essential

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Johnson, Fuqua, Simon, Mendoza
WE 3: 10
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 220 [1] , given: 974

The campers were usually allowed to pack only essential [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2010, 07:11
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

43% (01:52) correct 57% (00:54) wrong based on 165 sessions
The campers were usually allowed to pack only essential items such as maps, water, and food, and knives rarely.
(A) allowed to pack only essential items such as maps, water, and food, and food, and knives rarely.
(B) aloud to pack only essential items such as maps, water, and food, and rarely knives.
(C) allowed to pack only essential items such as maps, water, and food, with knives as a rarity.
(D) aloud to pack only essential items such as maps, water, and food, with knives as a rarity.
(E) allowed to packed only essential items such as maps, water, and food, and rarely they were allowed to pack knives.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.13
WE: Corporate Finance (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 46

Re: Essential items for campers [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2010, 07:17
B and D are out--'aloud'

A is confusing
E is too wordy
C is the answer

Go Blue!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UC Berkley, UCLA
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 56 [1] , given: 66

Re: Essential items for campers [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2010, 07:56
This post received
KUDOS
feruz77 wrote:
The campers were usually allowed to pack only essential items such as maps, water, and food, and knives rarely.
(A) allowed to pack only essential items such as maps, water, and food, and food, and knives rarely.
(B) aloud to pack only essential items such as maps, water, and food, and rarely knives.
(C) allowed to pack only essential items such as maps, water, and food, with knives as a rarity.
(D) aloud to pack only essential items such as maps, water, and food, with knives as a rarity.
(E) allowed to packed only essential items such as maps, water, and food, and rarely they were allowed to pack knives.

B and D are out b/c aloud doesn't have the same meaning as the intended allowed.
In A it says that the campers were allowed to pack all those items, rarely. E is wordy as well as awkward.
C constructs the sentence very nicely, "allowed to pack only essential items such as maps, water, and food, with knives as a rarity." The colored part of the sentence clearly indicates that knives were rarely allowed.

HTH
Mari

Thank you for your kudoses Everyone!!!

"It always seems impossible until its done."
-Nelson Mandela

Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 267

Kudos [?]: 1701 [0], given: 249

Premium Member
Re: Essential items for campers [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2010, 08:14
Expert's post
Can there be such blatant mistakes as “aloud to pack” and allowed to packed? They must be typos or else something is wrong. Of course, as such, the answer must be C.

Aside that, there is an OG question somewhat akin to this that might be of interest to test takers. The concept tested here is the problem of using coordinating conjunctions and the alternatives to solve it.

The diet of the ordinary Greek in classical times was largely vegetarian—vegetables, fresh cheese, oatmeal, and meal cakes, and meat rarely.
(A) and meat rarely
(B) and meat was rare
(C) with meat as rare
(D) meat a rarity
(E) with meat as a rarity

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Last edited by daagh on 17 Dec 2010, 04:05, edited 2 times in total.
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 104

Kudos [?]: 229 [0], given: 20

Re: Essential items for campers [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2010, 10:36
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hey daagh,

I agree with you (I think there's a pattern there..) - "aloud" vs. "allowed" doesn't look like a GMAT decision point to me, so I'm pretty certain that you'd never see this question on an official test. Unlike the GRE, the GMAT is not a vocabulary test!!

Brian

Save $100 on live Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager
Schools: Mccombs business school, Mays business school, Rotman Business School,

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 18

Re: The campers were usually allowed to pack only essential [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2012, 02:46
feruz77 wrote:

its a bot weird question to me. eventhough i 've seen the construction "as a rarity", "allowed" and "aloud" make me confuse. i thought aloud is a typo

some people are successful, because they have been fortunate enough and some people earn success, because they have been determined.....

please press kudos if you like my post.... i am begging for kudos...lol

Manager
Manager
Schools: Mccombs business school, Mays business school, Rotman Business School,

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 18

Re: The campers were usually allowed to pack only essential [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2012, 02:46
feruz77 wrote:

its a bot weird question to me. eventhough i 've seen the construction "as a rarity", "allowed" and "aloud" make me confuse. i thought aloud is a typo

some people are successful, because they have been fortunate enough and some people earn success, because they have been determined.....

please press kudos if you like my post.... i am begging for kudos...lol

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GC Meter: A.W.E.S.O.M.E
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V30
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 239

Reviews Badge
Re: The campers were usually allowed to pack only essential [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2012, 20:53
@daag

Could u be more specific on GMAT Like differences in the usage n it example??

I checked E

Posted from my mobile device Image

You haven't failed, if you haven't given up!
---
bschooladmit
Visit my Blog www.bschooladmit.wordpress.com

Check out my other posts:
Bschool Deadlines 2013-2014 | Bschool Admission Events 2013 Start your GMAT Prep with Stacey Koprince | Get a head start in MBA finance

1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 192 [1] , given: 299

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The campers were usually allowed to pack only essential [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2014, 16:09
This post received
KUDOS
feruz77 wrote:

Aloud? Are you kidding me? Is this a real GMAT question

Source please

Cheers!
J :)
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.2
WE: Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 34

Re: The campers were usually allowed to pack only essential [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2014, 21:16
feruz77 wrote:

Option B and D are clearly out. These options uses the word "aloud" which refers to nothing
In option E, "allowed to packed" is incorrect usage

In option A, "allowed to pack only essential items such as maps, water, and food, and food, and knives rarely" says that all these items are packed rarely. This changes the meaning of the sentence.

Option C clearly shows that only knives are packed as a rarity rest all items are essential.

Ty
Ankit

Hit Kudos :thanks :gl
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 46

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The campers were usually allowed to pack only essential [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2014, 00:41
Isn't C a bit ambiguous with rarity not clearly indicating what is rare. E though verbose , removes that ambiguity
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.2
WE: Operations (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 34

Re: The campers were usually allowed to pack only essential [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2014, 01:39
himanshujovi wrote:
Isn't C a bit ambiguous with rarity not clearly indicating what is rare. E though verbose , removes that ambiguity

Option E: allowed to packed

Really ?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 46

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The campers were usually allowed to pack only essential [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2014, 23:08
Says allowed to pack..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Re: The campers were usually allowed to pack only essential   [#permalink] 09 Jul 2014, 23:08