Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 04:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The Carson family will purchase three used cars. There are

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Director
Director
avatar
Status: Preparing for the 4th time -:(
Joined: 25 Jun 2011
Posts: 563
Location: United Kingdom
Concentration: International Business, Strategy
GMAT Date: 06-22-2012
GPA: 2.9
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 257 [0], given: 217

GMAT Tests User
The Carson family will purchase three used cars. There are [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2012, 01:03
3
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  55% (medium)

Question Stats:

44% (02:19) correct 56% (01:24) wrong based on 190 sessions
The Carson family will purchase three used cars. There are two models of cars available, Model A and Model B, each of which is available in four colors: blue, black, red, and green. How many different combinations of three cars can the Carsons select if all the cars are to be different colors?

A. 24
B. 32
C. 48
D. 60
E. 192
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

Best Regards,
E.

MGMAT 1 --> 530
MGMAT 2--> 640
MGMAT 3 ---> 610 :-(


Last edited by Bunuel on 13 Jul 2013, 06:51, edited 1 time in total.
Added the OA.
Expert Post
5 KUDOS received
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 18693
Followers: 3233

Kudos [?]: 22243 [5] , given: 2602

Re: The Carson family will purchase three used cars. There are [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2012, 01:18
5
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
enigma123 wrote:
The Carson family will purchase three used cars. There are two models of cars available, Model A and Model B, each of which is available in four colors: blue, black, red, and green. How many different combinations of three cars can the Carsons select if all the cars are to be different colors?

A. 24
B. 32
C. 48
D. 60
E. 192

Any idea how to solve this guys? I don't have an OA unfortunately.


C^3_4*2^3=4*8=32, C^3_4 selecting 3 different colors from 4 and multiplying by 2*2*2=2^3 since each color car has two options: model A or model B.

Answer: B.

Similar question to practice:
if-there-are-four-distinct-pairs-of-brothers-and-sisters-99992.html
if-a-committee-of-3-people-is-to-be-selected-from-among-98533.html

Hope it helps.

_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 27 Oct 2011
Posts: 191
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: Q V
GPA: 3.7
WE: Account Management (Consumer Products)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 4

Re: The Carson family will purchase three used cars. There are [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2012, 19:31
Bunuel, I don't understand the logic behind why you grouped it like that.
in MGMAT they said to use the slot method, first car has 8 choices, second has 6, third has 6. to account for overcounting we divide by the factorial 3!. same number but i understand that logic a little better but i am inclined to use your method on the test.
Can you explain?

_________________

DETERMINED TO BREAK 700!!!

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 18693
Followers: 3233

Kudos [?]: 22243 [1] , given: 2602

Re: The Carson family will purchase three used cars. There are [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2012, 23:41
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
calreg11 wrote:
Bunuel, I don't understand the logic behind why you grouped it like that.
in MGMAT they said to use the slot method, first car has 8 choices, second has 6, third has 6. to account for overcounting we divide by the factorial 3!. same number but i understand that logic a little better but i am inclined to use your method on the test.
Can you explain?


We are selecting 3 different color cars out of 4 possible colors. In how many ways it can be done? C^3_4=4, selecting 3 out of 4.

Next, there are 2 models of each selected car of a certain color available, hence each selected car has 2 options: Model A or Model B. Since there are 3 selected cars then total ways is 2*2*2.

Grand total 4*2^3=32.

Check the links in my previous post for similar questions.

Hope it helps.

_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 04 Mar 2012
Posts: 46
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 10

Re: The Carson family will purchase three used cars. There are [#permalink] New post 07 May 2012, 20:46
Bunnel,

I tried solving it through 8C3 = 56, as there are 8 options available Model A with 4 colors, and Model B with 4 colors, and we have to select 3 out of those..Can you please explain what is wrong in this approach ?

Thanks!
Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 18693
Followers: 3233

Kudos [?]: 22243 [0], given: 2602

Re: The Carson family will purchase three used cars. There are [#permalink] New post 07 May 2012, 23:44
Expert's post
gmihir wrote:
Bunnel,

I tried solving it through 8C3 = 56, as there are 8 options available Model A with 4 colors, and Model B with 4 colors, and we have to select 3 out of those..Can you please explain what is wrong in this approach ?

Thanks!


8C3 gives total # of ways to select 3 cars out of 8. But in the question we have a restriction saying that "all the cars (selected) are to be different colors", naturally restriction will reduce the number of combinations possible, so 56 cannot be a correct answer.

Hope it's clear.

_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Sep 2011
Posts: 67
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 520 Q34 V27
GMAT 2: 550 Q V
GMAT 3: 690 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.01
WE: Information Technology (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 9

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The Carson family will purchase three used cars. There are [#permalink] New post 09 May 2012, 07:21
calreg11 wrote:
Bunuel, I don't understand the logic behind why you grouped it like that.
in MGMAT they said to use the slot method, first car has 8 choices, second has 6, third has 6. to account for overcounting we divide by the factorial 3!. same number but i understand that logic a little better but i am inclined to use your method on the test.
Can you explain?


Bunuel, Calgreg, if I follow the MGMAT method I don't understand what over counting they are talking about. I understand the 8 for the first choice, 6 for the second, and 4 for the third, but why do the division afterwards?
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 18693
Followers: 3233

Kudos [?]: 22243 [1] , given: 2602

Re: The Carson family will purchase three used cars. There are [#permalink] New post 09 May 2012, 07:29
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
ashish8 wrote:
calreg11 wrote:
Bunuel, I don't understand the logic behind why you grouped it like that.
in MGMAT they said to use the slot method, first car has 8 choices, second has 6, third has 6. to account for overcounting we divide by the factorial 3!. same number but i understand that logic a little better but i am inclined to use your method on the test.
Can you explain?


Bunuel, Calgreg, if I follow the MGMAT method I don't understand what over counting they are talking about. I understand the 8 for the first choice, 6 for the second, and 4 for the third, but why do the division afterwards?


Check this problem: if-there-are-four-distinct-pairs-of-brothers-and-sisters-99992.html and this post there: if-there-are-four-distinct-pairs-of-brothers-and-sisters-99992.html#p775925

_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 4566
Location: Pune, India
Followers: 1029

Kudos [?]: 4455 [3] , given: 162

Re: The Carson family will purchase three used cars. There are [#permalink] New post 09 May 2012, 08:26
3
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
ashish8 wrote:
calreg11 wrote:
Bunuel, I don't understand the logic behind why you grouped it like that.
in MGMAT they said to use the slot method, first car has 8 choices, second has 6, third has 6. to account for overcounting we divide by the factorial 3!. same number but i understand that logic a little better but i am inclined to use your method on the test.
Can you explain?


Bunuel, Calgreg, if I follow the MGMAT method I don't understand what over counting they are talking about. I understand the 8 for the first choice, 6 for the second, and 4 for the third, but why do the division afterwards?


The method of selecting 8 for the first choice, 6 for the second and 4 for the third is what we call 'basic counting principle'. When you do 8*6*4, you are effectively selecting and ARRANGING the cars: you say 'The FIRST car is selected in 8 ways, the SECOND car in 6 ways etc'. But you don't have a first second third car. You only have a group of 3 cars. So to un-arrange (so to say), you need to divide by 3!

I have explained this concept in this post: http://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2011/11 ... binations/

_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 24 Mar 2010
Posts: 81
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 134

Re: The Carson family will purchase three used cars. There are [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2012, 13:28
Bunuel, Karishma,

You gotta help me out here, m getting shaky on all my Combinatorics concepts.

I approached the problem as

8C8 * 7C6 * 4C1

What exactly m I doing wrong?

_________________

- Stay Hungry, stay Foolish -

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 4566
Location: Pune, India
Followers: 1029

Kudos [?]: 4455 [1] , given: 162

Re: The Carson family will purchase three used cars. There are [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2012, 23:33
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
eaakbari wrote:
Bunuel, Karishma,

You gotta help me out here, m getting shaky on all my Combinatorics concepts.

I approached the problem as

8C8 * 7C6 * 4C1

What exactly m I doing wrong?


I have no idea how you got 8C8, 7C6 and 4C1.

I could have understood 8C1*6C1*4C1 (I have explained why this doesn't work in the post above)

The best way to solve it is by first selecting 3 colors out of the given 4 in 4C3 ways. (say, you got black, red and green)
Now for each color, you have 2 choices - model A or B
So you select a model in 2 ways.
No of ways of selecting the 3 cars = 4C3 * 2 * 2 * 2 = 32

_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 24 Mar 2010
Posts: 81
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 134

Re: The Carson family will purchase three used cars. There are [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2012, 23:51
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
eaakbari wrote:
Bunuel, Karishma,

You gotta help me out here, m getting shaky on all my Combinatorics concepts.

I approached the problem as

8C8 * 7C6 * 4C1

What exactly m I doing wrong?


I have no idea how you got 8C8, 7C6 and 4C1.

I could have understood 8C1*6C1*4C1 (I have explained why this doesn't work in the post above)

The best way to solve it is by first selecting 3 colors out of the given 4 in 4C3 ways. (say, you got black, red and green)
Now for each color, you have 2 choices - model A or B
So you select a model in 2 ways.
No of ways of selecting the 3 cars = 4C3 * 2 * 2 * 2 = 32


Well, my logic was

The number of ways of selecting r objects from n different objects is nCr.

We have 8 options and can select either of the 8 as the first - 8C8

One car is gone and one becomes a forbidden choice so we have 7 options and need to select either of the 6 as the first - 7C6

Two cars are gone and two becomes a forbidden choice so we have 6 options and need to select either of the 4 as the first - 6C4

I reckon that my understanding of Combinatorics logic is fundamentally flawed. Appreciate if you could tell me where and what

_________________

- Stay Hungry, stay Foolish -

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 4566
Location: Pune, India
Followers: 1029

Kudos [?]: 4455 [1] , given: 162

Re: The Carson family will purchase three used cars. There are [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2012, 00:28
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
eaakbari wrote:

Well, my logic was

The number of ways of selecting r objects from n different objects is nCr.

We have 8 options and can select either of the 8 as the first - 8C8

One car is gone and one becomes a forbidden choice so we have 7 options and need to select either of the 6 as the first - 7C6

Two cars are gone and two becomes a forbidden choice so we have 6 options and need to select either of the 4 as the first - 6C4

I reckon that my understanding of Combinatorics logic is fundamentally flawed. Appreciate if you could tell me where and what


Yes, I think you need to go through a PnC book from scratch. You can check out the Veritas Combinatorics and Probability book at amazon.

"The number of ways of selecting r objects from n different objects is nCr" - This is correct. You need to apply it correctly now.

As for this question,

We have 8 options and can select either of the 8 as the first - 8C8
--- We have 8 options and we need to select 1 out of those 8. So n = 8 and r = 1. This gives us 8C1 ways. (Say you selected BlackA)

One car is gone and one becomes a forbidden choice so we have 7 options and need to select either of the 6 as the first - 7C6
--- Now one car is gone and we cannot select another one. Now we have 6 cars to choose from and we again have to select 1. So n = 6 and r = 1. We get 6C1 ways (Say you selected GreenB)

Two cars are gone and two becomes a forbidden choice so we have 6 options and need to select either of the 4 as the first - 6C4
--- Now 2 cars are gone and 2 are forbidden. You can choose out of only 4 cars and you have to select only 1. Again, n = 4 and r = 1 so we get 4C1 (Say you selected RedA)

You select 3 cars in 8C1 * 6C1 * 4C1 ways but there is a flaw here. You selected BlackA, GreenB and RedA.
In another case, you could have selected RedA first, then BlackA and then GreenB. This combination is the same as the previous one but we are counting it separately. The point is we have arranged the cars as first, second and third which we should not do since it is a group.

As I said before, you might want to start with fundamentals from a book.

_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 13 Aug 2012
Posts: 464
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V0
GPA: 3.23
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 178 [1] , given: 11

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: The Carson family will purchase three used cars. There are [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2012, 20:43
1
This post received
KUDOS
enigma123 wrote:
The Carson family will purchase three used cars. There are two models of cars available, Model A and Model B, each of which is available in four colors: blue, black, red, and green. How many different combinations of three cars can the Carsons select if all the cars are to be different colors?

A. 24
B. 32
C. 48
D. 60
E. 192

Any idea how to solve this guys? I don't have an OA unfortunately.


How many ways to select either Model A or Model B for three cars? 2*2*2 = 8
How many ways to select distinct colors for 3 cars? 4!/3!1! (NOTE: Order doesn't matter) = 4

4*8 = 32

Answer: B

_________________

Impossible is nothing to God.

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 26 Sep 2013
Posts: 232
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 670 Q39 V41
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V41
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 40

Re: The Carson family will purchase three used cars. [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2013, 08:41
I get an answer of 12. 3C2 (3 cars out of 2)=3, 4C3 (4 colors, 3 cars)=4, 4*3=12. I think the provided answers are all wrong, or maybe I' missign something. I've been drilling this type of program for 6 weeks, and either I haven't learned a thing, or the answers are incorrect.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 15 Aug 2013
Posts: 233
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 21

Re: The Carson family will purchase three used cars. There are [#permalink] New post 17 May 2014, 12:43
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
eaakbari wrote:

Well, my logic was

The number of ways of selecting r objects from n different objects is nCr.

We have 8 options and can select either of the 8 as the first - 8C8

One car is gone and one becomes a forbidden choice so we have 7 options and need to select either of the 6 as the first - 7C6

Two cars are gone and two becomes a forbidden choice so we have 6 options and need to select either of the 4 as the first - 6C4

I reckon that my understanding of Combinatorics logic is fundamentally flawed. Appreciate if you could tell me where and what


Yes, I think you need to go through a PnC book from scratch. You can check out the Veritas Combinatorics and Probability book at amazon.

"The number of ways of selecting r objects from n different objects is nCr" - This is correct. You need to apply it correctly now.

As for this question,

We have 8 options and can select either of the 8 as the first - 8C8
--- We have 8 options and we need to select 1 out of those 8. So n = 8 and r = 1. This gives us 8C1 ways. (Say you selected BlackA)

One car is gone and one becomes a forbidden choice so we have 7 options and need to select either of the 6 as the first - 7C6
--- Now one car is gone and we cannot select another one. Now we have 6 cars to choose from and we again have to select 1. So n = 6 and r = 1. We get 6C1 ways (Say you selected GreenB)

Two cars are gone and two becomes a forbidden choice so we have 6 options and need to select either of the 4 as the first - 6C4
--- Now 2 cars are gone and 2 are forbidden. You can choose out of only 4 cars and you have to select only 1. Again, n = 4 and r = 1 so we get 4C1 (Say you selected RedA)

You select 3 cars in 8C1 * 6C1 * 4C1 ways but there is a flaw here. You selected BlackA, GreenB and RedA.
In another case, you could have selected RedA first, then BlackA and then GreenB. This combination is the same as the previous one but we are counting it separately. The point is we have arranged the cars as first, second and third which we should not do since it is a group.

As I said before, you might want to start with fundamentals from a book.


Hi Karishma,

I made a similar error in the beginning and looking back at it, it might have been because I might have tried to mix in "probability" into the combinatorics problem.

If you treat it as a probability, wouldn't the above posters approach be correct?
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 4566
Location: Pune, India
Followers: 1029

Kudos [?]: 4455 [0], given: 162

Re: The Carson family will purchase three used cars. There are [#permalink] New post 18 May 2014, 20:33
Expert's post
russ9 wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
eaakbari wrote:

Well, my logic was

The number of ways of selecting r objects from n different objects is nCr.

We have 8 options and can select either of the 8 as the first - 8C8

One car is gone and one becomes a forbidden choice so we have 7 options and need to select either of the 6 as the first - 7C6

Two cars are gone and two becomes a forbidden choice so we have 6 options and need to select either of the 4 as the first - 6C4

I reckon that my understanding of Combinatorics logic is fundamentally flawed. Appreciate if you could tell me where and what


Yes, I think you need to go through a PnC book from scratch. You can check out the Veritas Combinatorics and Probability book at amazon.

"The number of ways of selecting r objects from n different objects is nCr" - This is correct. You need to apply it correctly now.

As for this question,

We have 8 options and can select either of the 8 as the first - 8C8
--- We have 8 options and we need to select 1 out of those 8. So n = 8 and r = 1. This gives us 8C1 ways. (Say you selected BlackA)

One car is gone and one becomes a forbidden choice so we have 7 options and need to select either of the 6 as the first - 7C6
--- Now one car is gone and we cannot select another one. Now we have 6 cars to choose from and we again have to select 1. So n = 6 and r = 1. We get 6C1 ways (Say you selected GreenB)

Two cars are gone and two becomes a forbidden choice so we have 6 options and need to select either of the 4 as the first - 6C4
--- Now 2 cars are gone and 2 are forbidden. You can choose out of only 4 cars and you have to select only 1. Again, n = 4 and r = 1 so we get 4C1 (Say you selected RedA)

You select 3 cars in 8C1 * 6C1 * 4C1 ways but there is a flaw here. You selected BlackA, GreenB and RedA.
In another case, you could have selected RedA first, then BlackA and then GreenB. This combination is the same as the previous one but we are counting it separately. The point is we have arranged the cars as first, second and third which we should not do since it is a group.

As I said before, you might want to start with fundamentals from a book.


Hi Karishma,

I made a similar error in the beginning and looking back at it, it might have been because I might have tried to mix in "probability" into the combinatorics problem.

If you treat it as a probability, wouldn't the above posters approach be correct?


The approach of the poster here is quite wrong. You just need the number of cases here so it is not a probability question. If you do want to figure out the correct method in case it were a probability question, give the question you want to discuss and the solution you will use. Then I can tell you whether you are correct.

_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 4566
Location: Pune, India
Followers: 1029

Kudos [?]: 4455 [1] , given: 162

Re: The Carson family will purchase three used cars. There are [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2014, 20:21
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:

The best way to solve it is by first selecting 3 colors out of the given 4 in 4C3 ways. (say, you got black, red and green)
Now for each color, you have 2 choices - model A or B
So you select a model in 2 ways.
No of ways of selecting the 3 cars = 4C3 * 2 * 2 * 2 = 32


Quote:
My doubt was

Can you please explain why we have multiplied 2*2*2 with 4C3.

what i did to solve this was 4C3 * 2C1 where 2C1 are for selection of model . Can you please let me know what i have missed here.

Thanks


What you did is correct but incomplete.

You select 3 colors in 4C3 ways is correct. Say you select blue, black and red.
Now you have 3 different colors but for each color you have 2 models available. So you must select a model for EACH color. You do that in 2C1 ways for EACH color. Say model A for blue, model B for black and model A for red.

Total selection can be made in 4C3 * 2C1 * 2C1 * 2C1 ways

_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 12 Sep 2012
Posts: 15
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 7

Re: The Carson family will purchase three used cars. There are [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2014, 11:51
Hello,
I have solved the problem in the following way. From the question I came to know that there are two categories of cars of 4 different colors each. So, in total there are 8 cars. We need to select 3 cars of different colors. So, we can do it in two ways. We can select 2 cars from category A and one from B------> C(4,2)* C(2,1) = 12 ----> C(2,1) for B as we have already selected two colors from A so we are left with the rest 2 colors and we have selected 1 from them.

Secondly, we can select 1 car from A and 2 cars from B-----> C(4,1) * C(3,2) = 12

Therefore, total ways of combinations = 12+12 = 24. But, unfortunately this is not the correct answer. Kindly tell me where I went wrong.

Thank You in advance. :-D
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 4566
Location: Pune, India
Followers: 1029

Kudos [?]: 4455 [0], given: 162

Re: The Carson family will purchase three used cars. There are [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2014, 22:12
Expert's post
deya wrote:
Hello,
I have solved the problem in the following way. From the question I came to know that there are two categories of cars of 4 different colors each. So, in total there are 8 cars. We need to select 3 cars of different colors. So, we can do it in two ways. We can select 2 cars from category A and one from B------> C(4,2)* C(2,1) = 12 ----> C(2,1) for B as we have already selected two colors from A so we are left with the rest 2 colors and we have selected 1 from them.

Secondly, we can select 1 car from A and 2 cars from B-----> C(4,1) * C(3,2) = 12

Therefore, total ways of combinations = 12+12 = 24. But, unfortunately this is not the correct answer. Kindly tell me where I went wrong.

Thank You in advance. :-D


What about selecting all three cars from A or all three cars from B?

All three cars can have the same model. The only constraint is that they need to be of different colors.

Select all from A - In 4C3 = 4 ways
Select all from B - In 4C3 = 4 ways

Total = 24+4+4 = 32 ways

_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: The Carson family will purchase three used cars. There are   [#permalink] 27 Jun 2014, 22:12
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
3 Experts publish their posts in the topic An antiques dealer purchased three cabinets at three distinc daviesj 9 03 Jan 2013, 04:22
3 The Carson family will purchase three used cars. There are adhithya 6 22 Jun 2011, 17:57
2 What is the probability for a family with three children to petrifiedbutstanding 3 06 Feb 2011, 01:20
Three cars were purchased. Is the least cost greater than getzgetzu 4 05 May 2006, 21:52
What is the probability for a family with three children to gmatacer 6 17 Apr 2006, 05:45
Display posts from previous: Sort by

The Carson family will purchase three used cars. There are

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 22 posts ] 



cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.