Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Aug 2014, 05:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The category 1 to 5 rating known as the Saffir-Simpson

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 183 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
The category 1 to 5 rating known as the Saffir-Simpson [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2007, 16:07
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

50% (01:48) correct 50% (01:16) wrong based on 1 sessions
The category 1 to 5 rating known as the Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Scale provides an estimate of a hurricane’s potential of destroying or damaging property, and is primarily determined from wind speed; a category 5 storm has wind speeds so high as to blow away small buildings, completely destroy mobile homes, and cause severe window and door damage.

A. of destroying or damaging property, and is primarily determined from wind speed; a category 5 storm has wind speeds so high as

B. to destroy or damage property, and is primarily determined from wind speed; a category 5 storm has wind speeds high enough

C. of destroying or damaging property, and is primarily determined by wind speed; a category 5 storm has wind speeds so high as

D. to destroy or damage property, and is primarily determined by wind speed; a category 5 storm has wind speeds high enough

E. to destroy or damage property, and is primarily determined by wind speed; a category 5 storm has wind speeds so high as
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 18 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: MGMAT SC [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2007, 18:17
This post received
KUDOS
GMATBLACKBELT wrote:
The category 1 to 5 rating known as the Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Scale provides an estimate of a hurricane’s potential of destroying or damaging property, and is primarily determined from wind speed; a category 5 storm has wind speeds so high as to blow away small buildings, completely destroy mobile homes, and cause severe window and door damage.

A. of destroying or damaging property, and is primarily determined from wind speed; a category 5 storm has wind speeds so high as

B. to destroy or damage property, and is primarily determined from wind speed; a category 5 storm has wind speeds high enough

C. of destroying or damaging property, and is primarily determined by wind speed; a category 5 storm has wind speeds so high as

D. to destroy or damage property, and is primarily determined by wind speed; a category 5 storm has wind speeds high enough

E. to destroy or damage property, and is primarily determined by wind speed; a category 5 storm has wind speeds so high as

Correct idioms associated with "potential"

potential TO <VERB>
potential FOR <NOUN>

So A,C are out.

Correct idiom associated with "determined"

is "determined by".

So B out.

Remaining D and E

In E ...so high as is not correct..It should be "as...high..as"

D remains....
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2007, 19:12
X enough to Y is used when X is the criteria by which an ability to achieve Y is measured.

..so X as to Y is used when the characteristic X is so extreme in the particular case that Y results.

(MGMAT SC Book)

I'm inclined to go with E.
CEO
CEO

Kudos [?]: 183 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2007, 19:27
Giovanni_IT wrote:
X enough to Y is used when X is the criteria by which an ability to achieve Y is measured.

..so X as to Y is used when the characteristic X is so extreme in the particular case that Y results.

(MGMAT SC Book)

I'm inclined to go with E.

Very nice! Answer is E. I picked D for this.

My CAT gives the explanation you just did, but where is this explanation in the MGMAT SC Book???
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2007, 15:21
Quote:

My CAT gives the explanation you just did, but where is this explanation in the MGMAT SC Book???

Page 110 in the 'Idioms' chapter
CEO
CEO

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2007, 20:15
Giovanni_IT wrote:
Quote:

I see the idiom listed but no actual explanation...
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2007, 04:56
You probably dont have the 2007 edition.

It's listed under the heading:

'X enough to Y' Vs. 'So X as to Y' (page 110)
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: MGMAT SC [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2007, 08:14
GMATBLACKBELT wrote:

Clear E.

'potential to' & 'determined by' are the correct idioms.

In this case 'high enough' changes the meaning of the sentence (to mean that category 5 is the criteria) therefore incorrect.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2007, 08:24
Giovanni_IT wrote:
Quote:

Which source you ppl are referring to??
Could you pls share with others :)

Thanks!!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2007, 17:13
For those who are still confused between D & E.

original sentence:.......a category 5 storm has wind speeds so high as to blow away small buildings.......

D:....... a category 5 storm has wind speeds high enough to blow away small buildings.........

E:........a category 5 storm has wind speeds so high as to blow away small buildings.......

original sentence and E says, a category 5 storm has wind speed so extreme that it actually can blow away small buildings.Focus here is on the consequences of high wind speed.

whereas D says, a cat 5 storm has wind speed so high that it is able to blow away small buildings.Here focus is on the wind speed's ability to blow away small buildings.

hope the point is clear.

cheers
CEO
CEO

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2007, 20:48
Giovanni_IT wrote:

Ah thanks. Ive never noticed this before.

I never paid attention to this b/c I thought it was more garbage talk about the spot extraction method.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2007, 20:52
GMATBLACKBELT wrote:
Giovanni_IT wrote:

Ah thanks. Ive never noticed this before.

I never paid attention to this b/c I thought it was more garbage talk about the spot extraction method.

thanks giovanni. yes also agreed with that awful "spot-extract-replace" strategy method
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Plesae clear my confusion [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2007, 12:56
I have a question here...why not B.
Seems perfectly correct to me?
Please help
Director
Director
Schools: University of Chicago, Wharton School
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: MGMAT SC [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2007, 14:50
GMATBLACKBELT wrote:

E. nedd "to destroy" with potential.

"high enough..." is not idiomatic where as "so x as to y...." is.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 230

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: The category 1 to 5 rating known as the Saffir-Simpson [#permalink] New post 15 May 2014, 04:33
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: The category 1 to 5 rating known as the Saffir-Simpson   [#permalink] 15 May 2014, 04:33