Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 02:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The chanterelle, a type of wild mushroom, grows beneath host

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

The chanterelle, a type of wild mushroom, grows beneath host [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2004, 13:32
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 1 sessions
The chanterelle, a type of wild mushroom, grows beneath host trees such as the Douglas fir, which provide it with necessary sugars. The underground filaments of chanterelles, which extract the sugars, in turn provide nutrients and water for their hosts. Because of this nutually beneficial relationship, harvesting the chanterelles growing beneath a Douglas fir seriously endanters the tree.

Wich of the following, if true, casts the most doubt on the conclusion drawn above?

A. The number of wild mushrooms harvested has increased in recent years.
B. Chanterelles grow not only beneath Douglas firs but also beneath other host trees.
C. Many types of wild mushrooms are found only in forests and cannot easily be grown elsewhere.
D. The harvesting of wild mushrooms stimulates future growth of those mushrooms.
E. Young Douglas fir seedlings die without the nutrients and water provided by chanterell filaments.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2004, 14:21
E is the answer in my opinion, ooops didnt read the Question correctly. D is the answer

---------------------------------------------------
The more I learn, the more I realize I know nothing!
----------------------------------------------------

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2004, 15:11
D stregthens, whereas E undercuts the argument.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2004, 16:09
E is talking about seedlings and not the trees. E does not weaken the argument at all.

D is the best bet because if a trees die then wild mushroom will also die and there will be no further growth of other mushrooms. In order for stimulation of further growth of mushrooms to occur the tree should live as well.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 174 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2004, 19:50
Could I say otherwise than D? :lol:

Best Regards,

Paul

Intern
Intern

Answer [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2004, 05:06
Official answer is D but I am still not convinced about it. It does not talk about any relationship between wild mushroom and the tree. The harvesting of wild mushrooms could be happening away from the tree or am I reading it wrong?
SVP
SVP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2004, 05:48
Hmm,

Interesting point. I thought that the harvesting is done at the root of those trees. The other explanation could be that if the seedlings are taken away from the trees and harvested somewhere else then the trees could die if it is true that no further growth of mushrooms occurs at the roots of those trees.

But I cannot defend my answer very well.

I wish Paul and others could trow some light on this.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 174 [0], given: 0

Re: Answer [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2004, 07:10
asagem99 wrote:
Official answer is D but I am still not convinced about it. It does not talk about any relationship between wild mushroom and the tree. The harvesting of wild mushrooms could be happening away from the tree or am I reading it wrong?

Wild mushrooms do grow beneath trees such as the Douglas fir. We then have to assume that the harvesting part is done beneath those trees given the information provided to us. I don't see how the sentence could be talking about the location where the mushroom grows and then insinuate about other locations where such mushrooms could be harvested. D is the only answer that directly attacks the argument and weakens it. Furthermore, all other answers are either unlerated (A, B, C)or strenghten the argument (E) that such mushrooms should not be harvested

Best Regards,

Paul

Re: Answer   [#permalink] 29 Mar 2004, 07:10