Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Apr 2014, 14:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The chanterelle, a type of wild mushroom, grows beneath host

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 12

CAT Tests
Re: CR The chanterelle, a type of wild mushroom [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2010, 07:17
if you know the meaning of HARVEST , that's straight D
if you do know the meaning of HARVEST ( you may think it's some kinda growing) , the answer is straight E :D

the moral is you can be easily killed simply because of ONE single word :/
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR The chanterelle, a type of wild mushroom [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2010, 10:39
I agree that the answer is D
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GPA: 3.6
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 9

Re: CR The chanterelle, a type of wild mushroom [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2010, 23:16
D
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR The chanterelle, a type of wild mushroom [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2010, 02:58
Is it E.. My ans is : E
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: CR The chanterelle, a type of wild mushroom [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2010, 08:47
I have chosen D
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 9

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: CR The chanterelle, a type of wild mushroom [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2010, 12:14
D

Click that thing :) - Give kudos if u like this

Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 38

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR The chanterelle, a type of wild mushroom [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2011, 10:23
Perfect explanation. Its D.
imania wrote:
if you know the meaning of HARVEST , that's straight D
if you do know the meaning of HARVEST ( you may think it's some kinda growing) , the answer is straight E :D

the moral is you can be easily killed simply because of ONE single word :/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
MGMAT 6 650 (51,31) on 31/8/11
MGMAT 1 670 (48,33) on 04/9/11
MGMAT 2 670 (47,34) on 07/9/11
MGMAT 3 680 (47,35) on 18/9/11
GMAT Prep1 680 ( 50, 31) on 10/11/11

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
CR notes
http://gmatclub.com/forum/massive-collection-of-verbal-questions-sc-rc-and-cr-106195.html#p832142
http://gmatclub.com/forum/1001-ds-questions-file-106193.html#p832133
http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-critical-reasoning-collection-106783.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html?hilit=chineseburned

Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 207 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR The chanterelle, a type of wild mushroom [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2011, 10:56
+1 D

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR The chanterelle, a type of wild mushroom [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2011, 19:02
+1 for D.

Crick
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 07-16-2012
GPA: 3.4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 25

Reviews Badge
Re: CR The chanterelle, a type of wild mushroom [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2011, 00:51
IMO D

-------Analyze why option A in SC wrong-------

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR The chanterelle, a type of wild mushroom [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2011, 08:50
D
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V37
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 42

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR The chanterelle, a type of wild mushroom [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2011, 20:50
IMO D !!
Intern
Intern
Schools: ISB

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: CR The chanterelle, a type of wild mushroom [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2011, 18:04
D it is
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GPA: 3.65
WE: Project Management (Real Estate)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 56

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR The chanterelle, a type of wild mushroom [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2011, 09:42
I picked D...There is no threat to the tree if you harvest the mushroom because more mushroom will grow and will continue support the tree.
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: The chanterelle, a type of wild mushroom, grows beneath host [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2011, 22:21
Choice D. It basically says that the shrooms don't really go away thereby negating the supposed risk of removing them.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: American Management association, American Association of financial accountants
Schools: Columbia university
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 52

GMAT Tests User
Re: The chanterelle, a type of wild mushroom, grows beneath host [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2011, 00:20
D no doubt

Sky is the limit

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: The chanterelle, a type of wild mushroom, grows beneath host [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2012, 05:11
I seriously doubt that E is the right answer.

The conclusion in the passage is "harvesting the chanterelles growing beneath a Douglas fir seriously endangers the tree."

Option D states about "The harvesting of wild mushrooms" but nothing specific about Chanterelles which are "a" type of wild mushrooms. Moreover, wild mushrooms can grow beneath any tree not only beneath Douglas Fir.

Option E says "Young Douglas fir seedlings die without the nutrients" - which refutes Chanterelles poised as endangering Douglas fir. I think it should be E. I would be glad to know the source

I think it should be E
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.65

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 52

Re: CR The chanterelle, a type of wild mushroom [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2012, 10:20
nmohindru wrote:
ssandeepan wrote:
The chanterelle, a type of wild mushroom, grows beneath host trees such as the Douglas fir, which provide it with necessary sugars. The underground filaments of chanterelles, which extract the sugars, in turn provide nutrients and water for their hosts. Because of this mutually beneficial relationship, harvesting the chanterelles growing beneath a Douglas fir seriously endangers the tree.

Which of the following, if true, casts the most doubt on the conclusion drawn above?
(A) The number of wild mushrooms harvested has increased in recent years.
(B) Chanterelles grow not only beneath Douglas firs but also beneath other host trees.
(C) Many types of wild mushrooms are found only in forests and cannot easily be grown elsewhere.
(D) The harvesting of wild mushrooms stimulates future growth of those mushrooms.
(E) Young Douglas fir seedlings die without the nutrients and water provided by chanterelle filaments.

IMO D) .... since number of mushrooms keep on growing even when they are harvested it does not endager the tree.

E) actually supports the argument.

I agree that E supports the argument,,As conclusion is cutting the trees would endanger the tree,,,,We have find option which doesn't endanger the tree how come the option D is applicable??? The harvesting of wild mushrooms stimulates future growth of those mushrooms. Kindly brief it, thank you
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 53

Kudos [?]: 564 [0], given: 111

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: CR The chanterelle, a type of wild mushroom [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2012, 04:07
Maryam787 wrote:
nmohindru wrote:
ssandeepan wrote:
The chanterelle, a type of wild mushroom, grows beneath host trees such as the Douglas fir, which provide it with necessary sugars. The underground filaments of chanterelles, which extract the sugars, in turn provide nutrients and water for their hosts. Because of this mutually beneficial relationship, harvesting the chanterelles growing beneath a Douglas fir seriously endangers the tree.

Which of the following, if true, casts the most doubt on the conclusion drawn above?
(A) The number of wild mushrooms harvested has increased in recent years.
(B) Chanterelles grow not only beneath Douglas firs but also beneath other host trees.
(C) Many types of wild mushrooms are found only in forests and cannot easily be grown elsewhere.
(D) The harvesting of wild mushrooms stimulates future growth of those mushrooms.
(E) Young Douglas fir seedlings die without the nutrients and water provided by chanterelle filaments.

IMO D) .... since number of mushrooms keep on growing even when they are harvested it does not endager the tree.

E) actually supports the argument.

I agree that E supports the argument,,As conclusion is cutting the trees would endanger the tree,,,,We have find option which doesn't endanger the tree how come the option D is applicable??? The harvesting of wild mushrooms stimulates future growth of those mushrooms. Kindly brief it, thank you

The argument says that harvesting the mushrooms will endanger the tree because after being harvested, there wont be any mushrooms to provide the tree with nutrients.

Choice D says that harvesting the mushrooms would lead to further growth of mushrooms. Hence the argument's conclusion is rendered incorrect.

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 13

Re: The chanterelle, a type of wild mushroom, grows beneath host [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2012, 05:57
Conclusion: harvesting the chanterelles growing beneath a Douglas fir seriously endangers the tree.

Cast the most doubt

- Harvesting stimulates future growth of mushrooms so it will benfit th trees more.
- This strangthen the conclusion
Re: The chanterelle, a type of wild mushroom, grows beneath host   [#permalink] 18 Oct 2012, 05:57