Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 00:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The city government should invest surplus funds in improving

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Concentration: International Business, Real Estate
GMAT Date: 10-22-2012
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 47

GMAT ToolKit User
The city government should invest surplus funds in improving [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2012, 23:21
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

76% (02:55) correct 24% (01:07) wrong based on 62 sessions
The city government should invest surplus funds in improving the city’s transportation network. Most of the
network was put in place at a time when the city was much smaller in both area and population.
The
subway system is outdated and understaffed. The buses rarely run on schedule and their routes are inconvenient.
If the city does not make changes soon to the network, it will see many of its prized industries
relocate to more convenient cities and, as a result, the city’s financial health will be jeopardized.
In
the argument above, the two portions in boldface play which of the following roles?
• The first is an explanation of a current state of affairs; the second is a prediction based on that state of affairs.
• The first is a statement of fact in opposition to the author’s conclusion; the second is that conclusion.
• The first emphasizes an existing problem; the second offers a proposal to solve that problem.
• The first is information the author suggests has been overlooked in the situation at hand; the second describes
that situation.
• The first is a justification of an impending problem; the second describes the consequences of that problem.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
A

Last edited by aditi1903 on 14 Oct 2012, 07:06, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 19 [1] , given: 10

Re: The city government should invest surplus funds in improving [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2012, 07:24
This post received
KUDOS
IMO A, though E also seems to be a good option.

I think the problem with E is that it uses the word "consequence" for the second bold part while option A uses the word "prediction". I think the second bold part is more of a prediction as consequence is something which is certain (given the stated conditions are met) while prediction is something which is likely but not certain

Please let me know in case I am missing something.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Ross '17, Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 36

Kudos [?]: 201 [0], given: 41

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: The city government should invest surplus funds in improving [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2012, 07:30
I guess choice B is the correct one. The 1st bold is is, in fact, the plan of action the city are doing. And if without the first, there will be have consequence as the 2nd bold sentence said. All of these are said in choice B.

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Current Student
Affiliations: SAE
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.5
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 112 [0], given: 269

CAT Tests
Re: The city government should invest surplus funds in improving [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2012, 01:38
+1 E

BF1 – It gives justification for the problem

Problem – The subway system is outdated and understaffed. The buses rarely run on schedule and their routes are inconvenient.

BF2 – It gives consequences of the problem

:-D

First Attempt 710 - first-attempt-141273.html

Manager
Manager
Status: exam is close ... dont know if i ll hit that number
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 10-09-2012
GPA: 3.2
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Re: The city government should invest surplus funds in improving [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2012, 07:45
i would go with A
because E states the second bold face as the consequence which is incorrect..
its just prediction the author is making about future consequences...

just one more month for exam...

Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 09-10-2012

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 14

Re: The city government should invest surplus funds in improving [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2012, 04:41
aditi1903 wrote:
The city government should invest surplus funds in improving the city’s transportation network. Most of the
network was put in place at a time when the city was much smaller in both area and population.
The
subway system is outdated and understaffed. The buses rarely run on schedule and their routes are inconvenient.
If the city does not make changes soon to the network, it will see many of its prized industries
relocate to more convenient cities and, as a result, the city’s financial health will be jeopardized.
In
the argument above, the two portions in boldface play which of the following roles?
• The first is an explanation of a current state of affairs; the second is a prediction based on that state of affairs.
• The first is a statement of fact in opposition to the author’s conclusion; the second is that conclusion.
• The first emphasizes an existing problem; the second offers a proposal to solve that problem.
• The first is information the author suggests has been overlooked in the situation at hand; the second describes
that situation.
• The first is a justification of an impending problem; the second describes the consequences of that problem.

Stmt 1: The city govt should invest in transportation network-------Why------------Reason or justification is------------Most of the
network was put in place at a time when the city was much smaller in both area and population

Stmt 2: If the problem is not solved-----------consequences are----Many of its prized industries

+1 E

hth
2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 87 [2] , given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: The city government should invest surplus funds in improving [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2012, 20:59
This post received
KUDOS
aditi1903 wrote:
The
In
that situation.

I'll go with A.

WHY NOT E?
1st part is not impending problem (impending problem means a problem yet to occur and soon to occur, but the problem is already there (Most of the
network was put in place at a time), expressed correctly in Answer A
2nd is not consequences of that problem, it is a caution that is If u don't do X then Y will happen ( expressed correctly in Answer A)

WHY NOT B?
2nd bold face is not the conclusion. the conclusion is "The city government should invest surplus funds in improving the city’s transportation network."

I guess other answer choices can be eliminated too for the aforementioned reasons.

Wordup!

HTH
Current Student
Affiliations: SAE
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.5
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 112 [0], given: 269

CAT Tests
Re: The city government should invest surplus funds in improving [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2012, 23:24
Jp27 wrote:
aditi1903 wrote:
The subway system is outdated and understaffed. The buses rarely run on schedule and their routes are inconvenient. If the city does not make changes soon to the network, it will see many of its prized industries relocate to more convenient cities and, as a result, the city’s financial health will be jeopardized.
In the argument above, the two portions in boldface play which of the following roles?
A) The first is an explanation of a current state of affairs; the second is a prediction based on that state of affairs.

E) The first is a justification of an impending problem; the second describes the consequences of that problem.

I'll go with A.

WHY NOT E?
1st part is not impending problem (impending problem means a problem yet to occur and soon to occur, but the problem is already there (Most of the network was put in place at a time), expressed correctly in Answer A
2nd is not consequences of that problem, it is a caution that is If u don't do X then Y will happen ( expressed correctly in Answer A)

Good Point Jp27

Problem/Current State of Affairs is - The subway system is outdated and understaffed. The buses rarely run on schedule and their routes are inconvenient.
BF2 - If the city does not make changes soon to the network, it will see many of its prized industries relocate to more convenient cities and, as a result, the city’s financial health will be jeopardized. (Consequence and prediction are both right. Although Prediction is better, I have no reason to believe that consequence is wrong. Any thoughts?)

Bone of contention should therefore be BF1

BF1 - Most of the network was put in place at a time when the city was much smaller in both area and population (This is not the problem, but a reason as to why the aforementioned problem/current state of affair exists. Your reasoning to prove BF1 wrong in E is flawed as you have considered BF1 to be the problem whereas in option it takes BF1 to be the justification/reason for the problem. But yes, you are right in pointing out the “impending” situation (+1 to you))

Why I think A is wrong is because BF1 is not an explanation OF the problem but explanation FOR the problem. Anyways nice point Jp. Keep it up.

Aditi OA and explanation please.
:-D

First Attempt 710 - first-attempt-141273.html

Manager
Manager
WE 1: Information Technology(Retail)

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 29

Re: The city government should invest surplus funds in improving [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2012, 10:53
Ans is A.

First statement is a fact/evidence.
Second statement is a prediction.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 17

Re: The city government should invest surplus funds in improving [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2012, 03:05
I agree with JP, though I still think second BF is the easiest and quickest way to solve this.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 82

Re: The city government should invest surplus funds in improving [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2012, 06:13
i also chose E..

Jp27 wrote:
aditi1903 wrote:
The
In
that situation.

I'll go with A.

WHY NOT E?
1st part is not impending problem (impending problem means a problem yet to occur and soon to occur, but the problem is already there (Most of the
network was put in place at a time), expressed correctly in Answer A

WHY NOT B?
2nd bold face is not the conclusion. the conclusion is "The city government should invest surplus funds in improving the city’s transportation network."

I guess other answer choices can be eliminated too for the aforementioned reasons.

Wordup!

HTH

after above quoted post.. i l go with A..impending mean..problem will occur..so agree with A..

Bole So Nehal.. Sat Siri Akal.. Waheguru ji help me to get 700+ score !

Re: The city government should invest surplus funds in improving   [#permalink] 20 Oct 2012, 06:13