Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 04:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The city will lose more than one million dollars in

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: International Business, Finance
GMAT 1: 590 Q32 V30
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 28

The city will lose more than one million dollars in [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2012, 12:14
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

63% (01:29) correct 38% (00:57) wrong based on 72 sessions
The city will lose more than one million dollars in much-needed revenue when the shopping center on Beacon Drive will close sometime in the next year and move to a different county.

(A) will close sometime in the next year and move to a different county
(B) closes sometime in the next year and moves to a different county
(C) will close in the next year sometime and move to a different county
(D) closes sometime in the next year and will move to a different county
(E) will close sometime in the next year and then move to a different county
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Give kudos if you find my post helpful ;)

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 133

Kudos [?]: 241 [2] , given: 10

Re: The city will lose more than one million dollars in [#permalink] New post 27 May 2014, 23:16
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
The meaning is simply different. "If" is used to describe a condition, while "when" is used to describe something that is going to happen. Since "when" is in the fixed part of the sentence, the author is telling us that the store will definitely close. Compare to this sentence:

"If you crash my car, you need to buy me a new one."

I highly doubt that you will crash my car--you don't even know where I live! I'm simply expressing the idea that if this were to happen, you would owe me.

If I said "When you crash my car," it would mean I was expecting you to crash it. Make sense?

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Intern
Intern
Concentration: International Business, Finance
GMAT 1: 590 Q32 V30
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.6

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 28

Re: The city will lose more than one million dollars in [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2012, 12:16
Did one of the free (for now ;)) GMATClub tests today and got this one wrong.

The explaination is as follows:
Quote:
This sentence requires the recognition that the word when creates a conditional tense that requires the (e)s form of the verb, and also that both verbs in the following phrase must use parallel form. The complete and correct verb phrase, without supporting words, should read: when the shopping center closes and moves.
Though the verbs in this option are parallel, they are not in the e(s) form required by the word when.

especially that part when creates a conditional tense that requires the (e)s form of the verb is new to me.

Please help.
Why is that?

Give kudos if you find my post helpful ;)

Manager
Manager
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 317

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: The city will lose more than one million dollars in [#permalink] New post 26 May 2014, 13:59
solarzj wrote:
The city will lose more than one million dollars in much-needed revenue when the shopping center on Beacon Drive will close sometime in the next year and move to a different county.

can someone please help me with this one.
GPA: 3.21
WE: Business Development (Other)
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 316 [0], given: 675

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: The city will lose more than one million dollars in [#permalink] New post 26 May 2014, 19:17
akankshasoneja wrote:
solarzj wrote:

can someone please help me with this one.

I am not totally convinced on the use of when in this sentence. The sentence looks better with if

"The city will lose more than one million dollars in much-needed revenue when (If) the shopping center on Beacon Drive will close sometime in the next year and move to a different county.

One can see that sentence has a construction that If shopping center on beacon drive will close in next year then the city will lose more than one million dollars in revenue.

Note that the non underlined portion has then construction. And the general rule that I follow for If then construction is as follows

Attachment:
Untitled.png
Untitled.png [ 6.69 KiB | Viewed 507 times ]

So for then clause construction in Simple future tense, we can use Simple present tense in If clause. With this you are down to B and D. D is not parallel as the second verb "will move" on option D is not parallel to "closes"

Ans is B

Hope it helps

Another Alt explanation for this Question : the-city-will-lose-more-than-one-million-dollars-in-60760.html#p439367

“If you can't fly then run, if you can't run then walk, if you can't walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward.”

Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 133

Kudos [?]: 241 [0], given: 10

Re: The city will lose more than one million dollars in [#permalink] New post 27 May 2014, 22:42
Expert's post
"When" makes sense here--the author is expressing certainty that the store will close and move. It's just like this . . .

"When I graduate from Stanford, I will get a job at Google."

except that the "when" and "will parts are swapped in order:

"I will get a job at Google when I graduate from Stanford."

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: The city will lose more than one million dollars in [#permalink] New post 27 May 2014, 22:56
DmitryFarber wrote:
"When" makes sense here--the author is expressing certainty that the store will close and move. It's just like this . . .

Agreed. I thought that this will be questioned and I realised later that it makes sense...however do you think" if "will be

Better here or when is communicating the meaning in better way

Thanks

“If you can't fly then run, if you can't run then walk, if you can't walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward.”

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: The city will lose more than one million dollars in [#permalink] New post 29 May 2014, 00:16
DmitryFarber wrote:
The meaning is simply different. "If" is used to describe a condition, while "when" is used to describe something that is going to happen. Since "when" is in the fixed part of the sentence, the author is telling us that the store will definitely close. Compare to this sentence:

"If you crash my car, you need to buy me a new one."

I highly doubt that you will crash my car--you don't even know where I live! I'm simply expressing the idea that if this were to happen, you would owe me.

If I said "When you crash my car," it would mean I was expecting you to crash it. Make sense?

Make sense definitely. Thank you for clarifying.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Transportation)

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 72

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The city will lose more than one million dollars in [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2014, 22:41
DmitryFarber wrote:

Still why is"will" wrong in option A
"I will get a job at Google when I will graduate from Stanford."
I will buy the book when I will go out tomorrow.

Is the use of will wrong or just redundant
Re: The city will lose more than one million dollars in   [#permalink] 22 Jun 2014, 22:41