Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 09:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The Civil Service Act of 1883, also known as the Pendleton

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Haas (WL), Kellogg (matricultating), Stanford (R2, ding), Columbia (ding)
WE 1: 3 years hotel industry sales and marketing France
WE 2: 3 years financial industry marketing UK
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 20 [1] , given: 10

The Civil Service Act of 1883, also known as the Pendleton [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2010, 06:11
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

47% (02:22) correct 53% (01:34) wrong based on 205 sessions
The Civil Service Act of 1883, also known as the Pendleton Act, which created a professional corps of administrators, was passed after a disappointed office-seeker assassinated President James A. Garfield. For a hundred years, this system has anchored American government service to competence rather than corruption. The best way to preserve this state in the new millennium is to maintain the Pendleton Act as it is.

Which of the following would be most useful to evaluate the argument’s conclusion?

A: The methods that the Swiss and British governments have used to prevent corruption in government service for the past one hundred years
B: The current level of job satisfaction among government office-seekers and office-holders
C: The levels of competence and corruption in American government service between 1950 and the present
D:The number of Presidents assassinated since the passage of the Pendleton Act
E: The percentage of office-holders fired or convicted on charges stemming from corruption during the first hundred years of the Pendleton Act

Please explain your answers!
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Yes I can!

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 3

Re: MGMAT CR: Pendleton Act [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2010, 07:09
I answered C. The reason for the same is:
A - out of context.
B - will not be a measure to evaluate the conclusion. It will not give sufficient data to measure the argument.
C - Correctly measures the relative data for corruption and competence. Hence the answer.
D - No way a measure to evaluate the conclusion
E - IMO this one along with C was close to be the answer. But this one does not in fact connect the relation b/w corruption and competence.

-------------------------------------
Please give kudos, if my post is helpful.

For English Grammar tips, consider visiting http://www.grammar-quizzes.com/index.html.

Manager
Manager
Schools: Haas (WL), Kellogg (matricultating), Stanford (R2, ding), Columbia (ding)
WE 1: 3 years hotel industry sales and marketing France
WE 2: 3 years financial industry marketing UK
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 10

Re: MGMAT CR: Pendleton Act [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2010, 08:00
I originally went for E, I think your explanation makes more sense than MGMAT explanation. Thank you

Yes I can!

VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 13

Re: MGMAT CR: Pendleton Act [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2010, 10:00
any reason why C mentions 1950? It's a bit confusing... other than that it is perfect choice assuming there is a way to "measure" corruption and competence which is one of the reasons I didnt choose C....and of course like always I am again wrong..duhh
Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 419 [0], given: 36

Re: MGMAT CR: Pendleton Act [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2010, 21:20
I wonder why didn't anyone voted for B?

B: The current level of job satisfaction among government office-seekers and office-holders

Please press kudos if you like my post.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 1

Re: MGMAT CR: Pendleton Act [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2010, 03:03
nusmavrik wrote:
I wonder why didn't anyone voted for B?

why not B ? :(

R E S P E C T

Finally KISSedGMAT 700 times 450 to 700 An exprience

SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 224 [0], given: 6

Re: MGMAT CR: Pendleton Act [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2010, 13:31
"For a hundred years, this system has anchored American government service to competence rather than corruption." So the Pendleton Act should be maintained as it is.

Why the Act shoud be maintained?

May be because it helped Americant government to become more competent than corrupt. This can be known ony by comparing the levels of competence and corruption for a given period of time. (C) does that.

Even though I was not very convinced with E (because the pecentage from corruption in 100 years is not compared with the percentage from some other period) I picked it because "1950" in option (C) threw me off.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: MGMAT CR: Pendleton Act [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2010, 09:12
I was confused b/w C and E. Finally i opted E as 1950 pissed me off. Other than this C looks better option.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 56

Re: The Civil Service Act of 1883, also known as the Pendleton [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2014, 04:56
Agree with others, not sure why 1950 is mentioned. E for some reason felt better, but in hindsight C seems correct except for that 1950.

Click on Kudos if you liked the post!

Practice makes Perfect.

Current Student
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
Schools: LBS (A)
GMAT 1: 520 Q36 V26
GMAT 2: 630 Q42 V36
GPA: 3.7
WE: Consulting (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 9

Re: The Civil Service Act of 1883, also known as the Pendleton [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2014, 10:30
A: The methods that the Swiss and British governments have used to prevent corruption in government service for the past one hundred years-out of context
B: The current level of job satisfaction among government office-seekers and office-holders-low level of satisfaction does not mean person will become corrupt
C: The levels of competence and corruption in American government service between 1950 and the present-best answer because it tracks corruption level over a period of time
D:The number of Presidents assassinated since the passage of the Pendleton Act-out of context
E: The percentage of office-holders fired or convicted on charges stemming from corruption during the first hundred years of the Pendleton Act-question stem itself tells that "for a hundred year, this system has anchored American government service to competence rather than corruption"-therefore cant be answer
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GPA: 3.62
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 20

Re: The Civil Service Act of 1883, also known as the Pendleton [#permalink] New post 14 May 2014, 18:28
B is wrong because it says "office holder" which is not mentioned in the text
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: The Civil Service Act of 1883, also known as the Pendleton [#permalink] New post 15 May 2014, 12:01
The key thing I noted when I read the stimulus was the huge time gap. If the prediction about today is to hold true, something has to tie together the information from the past and the present, and show that there are similar conditions at play here. Choice C, while it doesn't cover the whole time period, does the most towards accomplishing my goal.

Choice A is irrelevant
Choice B is out of scope, but seems like it could be right because of the description of Garfield's assassin.
Choice D ---yeah, no
Choice E doesn't address current day. Also number of people convicted could be proof that the Act works because people are getting caught or doesn't because people are hired to begin with.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 580 Q44 V28
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 18

Re: The Civil Service Act of 1883, also known as the Pendleton [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2014, 13:05
C cannot be the correct answer. It is similar to the claim by most industrialists - "Since last 50 years of industrialization didn't result in all the ice-caps to melt, hence they will not melt in future"

The Act kept corruption levels down and competence levels up for the past 100 years, but that doesn't mean it's going to work in the future as well.

Life is a highway
I wanna ride it all night long

Re: The Civil Service Act of 1883, also known as the Pendleton   [#permalink] 05 Sep 2014, 13:05