Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 06:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The Coast guard is conducting tests to see whether pigeons

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

The Coast guard is conducting tests to see whether pigeons [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2007, 20:50
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

84% (01:24) correct 16% (00:30) wrong based on 61 sessions
The Coast guard is conducting tests to see whether pigeons can be trained to help find survivors of wrecks at sea.

(A) to see whether pigeons can be trained to help find
(B) to see whether pigeons can be trained as help to find
(C) to see if pigeons can be trained for helping to find
(D) that see if pigeons are able to be trained in helping to find
(E) that see whether pigeons are able to be trained for help in finding
Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1227

Kudos [?]: 3359 [4] , given: 181

Re: The Coast guard is conducting tests to see whether pigeons [#permalink] New post 11 May 2012, 10:22
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi All,

The Coast guard is conducting tests to see whether pigeons can be trained to help find survivors of wrecks at sea.

Error Analysis

1. When there is a condition, use of “whether” is preferred over “if”. Hence, use of “whether” in this sentence is correct.
2. Placing two verbs “help find” together is acceptable in English language. This expression is actually a variant of “help to find”. However, removal of two does not make this expression incorrect. It is not uncommon to find sentences with this phrase.
3. To verb “to see” perfectly presents the reason why the teats are being conducted.
4. There are no errors in this choice. This sentence is correct as is.

POE:

Choice A:to see whether pigeons can be trained to help find: Correct for the reasons stated above.

Choice B: to see whether pigeons can be trained as help to find: Incorrect. The use of idiom “trained as” is not correct here. Note that the idiom is not incorrect by itself. Consider these examples from New York Times and analyze the use of “trained as”:
1. Nikos Gavalas and Alexandra Tricha, both 31 and trained as agriculturalists, were frustrated working on poorly paying, short-term contracts in Athens, where jobs are scarce and the cost of living is high.
2. Some 125 older adults have been trained as navigators or community health workers who help individuals and families master the intricacies of the health care system.
3. I am trained as a cognitive-behavior therapist, and my master’s was on depression.
In this sentence, when we say that pigeons are being “trained as” help, it means that they are being trained as domestic help or a servant. This is certainly not the intended meaning of the sentence.

Choice C: to see if pigeons can be trained for helping to find: Incorrect. 1. Since the sentence has a condition, use of “if” is not considered to be correct. 2. It is better to use to verb when we need to express the purpose of an action. “to help” is certainly better than “for helping”.

Choice D: that see if pigeons are able to be trained in helping to find: Incorrect. 1. Relative pronoun “that” stands for “tests”. Now tests cannot perform the action of seeing. The subject does not make sense with verb here. 2. Use of “if” is not correct here. 3. This choice is way too wordy and awkward.

Choice E: that see whether pigeons are able to be trained for help in finding: Incorrect. 1 Same SV do not make sense error as in Choice D. 2. Wordy and awkward again.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha

Free Webinar: August 24, 2014 - Improve by 70 Points in 30 days: Register for this Free Webinar to learn how to define your strategy, analyze your mocks and improve by 70 points in 30 days. Click here to register.

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2007, 21:32
Ya but at last I am left with 'A' and 'B' .I am not able to choose between these two
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2007, 23:32
pigeons have been trained "to help" (and ) "find" ..survivors at wrecks..so it is A over B for me...
(C) to see if pigeons can be trained for helping to find ...to see" if " is wrong.. if shuuld be replaced with "whether"..moreover the sentence is too wordy...
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC -708 [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2007, 23:38
rakesh_chi wrote:

cannot use 'if' without 'then'. Eliminate C D E

'trained to help find' is more accurate/less wordy than 'trained as help to find'. Eliminate B.

Answer A
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC -708 [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2007, 01:39
rakesh_chi wrote:

A - idiomatic & correct
B - Non-idiomatic "as help"
C - awkward "for helping"
D - wordy "able to"
E - all messed up
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 17

Re: The Coast guard is conducting tests to see whether pigeons [#permalink] New post 11 May 2012, 04:22
Could anyone explain why in the sentence "to see whether pigeons can be trained to help find", the combination of words "help find" is correct? As it seems to me there are two verbs in infinitive without connection with each other. If it would be "help to find", I understood. Any thoughts?
Thanks
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 600 Q49 V23
GPA: 3.8
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 15

Re: The Coast guard is conducting tests to see whether pigeons [#permalink] New post 11 May 2012, 10:20
malkov wrote:
Could anyone explain why in the sentence "to see whether pigeons can be trained to help find", the combination of words "help find" is correct? As it seems to me there are two verbs in infinitive without connection with each other. If it would be "help to find", I understood. Any thoughts?
Thanks

I think B is the correct answer.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 560 Q45 V23
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 42

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The Coast guard is conducting tests to see whether pigeons [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2013, 11:26
While answering this question, i was perplexed b/w option A and C. But went ahead with A, as C wrongly uses "for helping" instead of "to help.". Regarding the weather vs If, i am not much satisfied with the explanations above. As per my understanding, We use "If", when we have a question in context and we use "Weather" when we have options to choose from, So usage of "If", as per me is not wrong in this question. Rather i prefer "If" over "whether".Would any expert like to enlighten me here on this ?

And many strokes, though with a little axe, hew down and fell the hardest-timbered oak. - William Shakespeare

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 42

Reviews Badge
Re: The Coast guard is conducting tests to see whether pigeons [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2013, 11:28
A it correct because trained as unidiomatic.... Trained to is correct
Director
Director
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V29
GMAT 2: 670 Q50 V29
GMAT 3: 620 Q49 V26
GMAT 4: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 561 [0], given: 197

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The Coast guard is conducting tests to see whether pigeons [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2013, 12:23
nikhiil wrote:
While answering this question, i was perplexed b/w option A and C. But went ahead with A, as C wrongly uses "for helping" instead of "to help.". Regarding the weather vs If, i am not much satisfied with the explanations above. As per my understanding, We use "If", when we have a question in context and we use "Weather" when we have options to choose from, So usage of "If", as per me is not wrong in this question. Rather i prefer "If" over "whether".Would any expert like to enlighten me here on this ?

hi nikhil,

In GMAT use IF...only when you have construction like: IF X, THEN Y===>Without this it will always be incorrect in GMAT.
TAKE SOME EXAMPLE.
if you exercise daily,then you stay healthy.

that is the problem in the above question.....hence use of IF is INCORRECT.
MOREOVER THERE ARE OTHER ERRORS TOO...but you can eliminate the option on the basis of "IF "

HOPE IT HELPS

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...

GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 112

Kudos [?]: 1126 [0], given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: The Coast guard is conducting tests to see whether pigeons [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2013, 21:58
nikhiil wrote:

"If" is used to present hypothetical situations.
"Weather" is used to present a choice.
I'll decide Weather (...)
@shaileshmishra, you are not correct:

Official question #40 OG:

The Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) had long been expected to announce a reduction in output to bolster sagging oil prices, but officials of the organization just recently announced that the group will pare daily production by 1.5 million barrels by the beginningof next year, but only if non- OPEC nations, including Norway. Mexico, and Russia, were to trim output by a total of 500,000 barrels a day.

CORRECT ANSWER: E)year only if non-OPEC nations, including Norway, Mexico, and Russia, trim output

Official question #82 =G:

Defense attorneys have occasionally argued that their clients' misconduct stemmed from a reaction to something ingested, but in attributing criminal or delinquent behavior to some food allergy, the perpetrators are in effect told that they are not responsible for their actions.

CORRECT ANSWER: B)if criminal or delinquent behavior is attributed to an allergy to some food,

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Director
Director
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V29
GMAT 2: 670 Q50 V29
GMAT 3: 620 Q49 V26
GMAT 4: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 561 [0], given: 197

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The Coast guard is conducting tests to see whether pigeons [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2013, 00:13
Zarrolou wrote:
@shaileshmishra, you are not correct:

sorry ZARR0LOU,

see IF -THEN construction are use to express condition.
there are types of construction possible with IF-THEN

1) IF clause 1,THEN clause 2
2) IF clause 1 ,clause 2========>(THEN can be omitted but you can make out that THEN can be placed there)
3) clause 2,IF clause 1=========>(THEN can be ommited and THEN part is ahead of IF clause)

now in your given example:
Official question #40 OG:

The Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) had long been expected to announce a reduction in output to bolster sagging oil prices, but officials of the organization just recently announced that the group will pare daily production by 1.5 million barrels by the beginningof next year, but only if non- OPEC nations, including Norway. Mexico, and Russia, were to trim output by a total of 500,000 barrels a day.

CORRECT ANSWER: E)year only if non-OPEC nations, including Norway, Mexico, and Russia, trim output

THIS example comes under the category of CASE 3(clause 2,IF clause 1)==>LET ME SHOW YOU:

CLAUSE 2 (the group will pare daily production by 1.5 million barrels by the beginningof next year) onlyIF CLAUSE 1(non- OPEC nations, including Norway. Mexico, and Russia, trim output by a total of 500,000 barels a day)

Official question #82 =G:

Defense attorneys have occasionally argued that their clients' misconduct stemmed from a reaction to something ingested, but in attributing criminal or delinquent behavior to some food allergy, the perpetrators are in effect told that they are not responsible for their actions.

CORRECT ANSWER: B)if criminal or delinquent behavior is attributed to an allergy to some food,
THIS example comes under the category of CASE 2.( IF clause 1 ,clause 2)====>LET ME SHOW YOU AGAIN:

IF CLAUSE 1 (criminal or delinquent behavior is attributed to an allergy to some food), CLAUSE 2(the perpetrators are in effect told that they are not responsible for their actions.)

so i will say i am not wrong ,rather you misunderstood something.

let me know if anything more to clarify.

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...

GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

Re: The Coast guard is conducting tests to see whether pigeons   [#permalink] 14 Jul 2013, 00:13