Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 14:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The commissioner has announced that Judge Khalid, who was on

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Affiliations: FRM Charter holder
Schools: Stanford, Chicago Booth, Babson College
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 4

The commissioner has announced that Judge Khalid, who was on [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2007, 05:23
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
The commissioner has announced that Judge Khalid, who was on the seven-member panel appointed to resolve the Amlec labor dispute, will have sole responsibility for resolving the Simdon labor dispute. Since in its decision the Amlec panel showed itself both reasonable and fair, the two sides in the Simdon dispute are undoubtedly justified in the confidence they have expressed in the reasonableness and fairness of the arbitrator assigned to their case.
Which one of the following contains flawed reasoning most parallel to that contained in the passage?
(A) Representing the school board, Marcia Barthes presented to the school’s principal a list of recently elected school board members. Since only an elected member of the school board can act as its representative. Ms. Barthes’s name undoubtedly appears on that list.
(B) Alan Caldalf, who likes being around young children, has decided to become a pediatrician. Since the one characteristic common to all good pediatricians is that they like young children, Mr. Caldalf will undoubtedly be a very good pediatrician.
(C) Jorge Diaz is a teacher at a music school nationally known for the excellence of its conducting faculty. Since Mr. Diaz has recently been commended for the excellence of his teaching, he is undoubtedly a member of the school’s conducting faculty.
(D) Ula Borg, who has sold real estate for Arcande Realty for many years, undoubtedly sold fewer houses last year that she had the year before since the number of houses sold last year by Arcande Realty is far lower than the number sold the previous year.
(E) The members of the local historical society unanimously support designating the First National Bank building a historical landmark. Since Evelyn George is a member of that society, she undoubtedly favors according landmark status to the city hall as well.
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: Judge Khalid [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2007, 05:45
I will have to go with D. One person in the board is judged to be good, because the board was good. Similarly, in D, one person is judged to have done badly because the group did badly.

aurobindo wrote:
The commissioner has announced that Judge Khalid, who was on the seven-member panel appointed to resolve the Amlec labor dispute, will have sole responsibility for resolving the Simdon labor dispute. Since in its decision the Amlec panel showed itself both reasonable and fair, the two sides in the Simdon dispute are undoubtedly justified in the confidence they have expressed in the reasonableness and fairness of the arbitrator assigned to their case.
Which one of the following contains flawed reasoning most parallel to that contained in the passage?
(A) Representing the school board, Marcia Barthes presented to the school’s principal a list of recently elected school board members. Since only an elected member of the school board can act as its representative. Ms. Barthes’s name undoubtedly appears on that list.
(B) Alan Caldalf, who likes being around young children, has decided to become a pediatrician. Since the one characteristic common to all good pediatricians is that they like young children, Mr. Caldalf will undoubtedly be a very good pediatrician.
(C) Jorge Diaz is a teacher at a music school nationally known for the excellence of its conducting faculty. Since Mr. Diaz has recently been commended for the excellence of his teaching, he is undoubtedly a member of the school’s conducting faculty.
(D) Ula Borg, who has sold real estate for Arcande Realty for many years, undoubtedly sold fewer houses last year that she had the year before since the number of houses sold last year by Arcande Realty is far lower than the number sold the previous year.
(E) The members of the local historical society unanimously support designating the First National Bank building a historical landmark. Since Evelyn George is a member of that society, she undoubtedly favors according landmark status to the city hall as well.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2007, 06:39
In the original reasoning, one element of a group is perceived according to the rest of the group, answer D best follows the same parallel.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2007, 11:37
My answer is 'E'
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2007, 11:57
concluding on one person based on the group.

E.

Aurobindo, where are you getting these CRs?? I think they might be killing my confidence right before exam time :?
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth '11

Kudos [?]: 150 [0], given: 12

[#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2007, 14:42
Im going with D, makes assumptions about a person performing an action based on the fact that the group to whom the person belongs performs that action

E seems close but I think the statement

"Since Evelyn George is a member of that society, she undoubtedly favors according landmark status to the city hall as well"

throws it off. The translation from the stem is :

Since Amlec panel is fair, therefore a member of that panel will be fair

in D we can translate

Since the number of houses sold by arcande was far less , undoubtly Ula sold far less

that makes sense

in E it translates to

since Evelyn is a member of the group, she favors the groups decision

it comes close, but i think if it stated

since the society wanted to give city hall landmark status , Evelyn being part of the society will give the city landmark status

man im confusing myself

whats the OA
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2007, 14:56
terp26 wrote:
Im going with D, makes assumptions about a person performing an action based on the fact that the group to whom the person belongs performs that action

"Since Evelyn George is a member of that society, she undoubtedly favors according landmark status to the city hall as well"

in D we can translate

Since the number of houses sold by arcande was far less , undoubtly Ula sold far less

that makes sense

in E it translates to

since the society wanted to give city hall landmark status , Evelyn being part of the society will give the city landmark status

man im confusing myself

whats the OA

There are actually two problems with E - it's tricky.

First, it says that the society unanimously wants to give the bank landmark status. So, it's not logically incorrect to say that Evelyn, as a member of the society, wants to give the bank landmark status.

However, that's not what E says. It says that the society wants to give the First Bank Building landmark status and that since Evelyn is part of the society, she must want to give City Hall landmark status. (emphasis mine) Two different buildings!

So E is "Everyone in the group wants A, so one member of the group must want B."

I agree with the rest of your reasoning - I'd go with D as the answer.
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2007, 22:11
buckkitty wrote:

E.

Aurobindo, where are you getting these CRs?? I think they might be killing my confidence right before exam time :?

buckkitty, I am sorry for that..these are LSAT CRs..so it is okay if we can't solve some of them :wink:

In my practice tests, I noticed that I was weak in parallel reasoning. Trying to dig out those questions from CR 1000, and solve those questions particularly. Sharing some of those with you guys. :)

It is a fact that some of the posted questions are really tough.
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2007, 22:26
klong009 wrote:
terp26 wrote:

in D we can translate

that makes sense

in E it translates to

man im confusing myself

whats the OA

There are actually two problems with E - it's tricky.

First, it says that the society unanimously wants to give the bank landmark status. So, it's not logically incorrect to say that Evelyn, as a member of the society, wants to give the bank landmark status.

However, that's not what E says. It says that the society wants to give the First Bank Building landmark status and that since Evelyn is part of the society, she must want to give City Hall landmark status. (emphasis mine) Two different buildings!

So E is "Everyone in the group wants A, so one member of the group must want B."

I agree with the rest of your reasoning - I'd go with D as the answer.

Excellent analysis guys. Thank you. D is the OA.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2007, 06:29
aurobindo wrote:
buckkitty wrote:

E.

buckkitty, I am sorry for that..these are LSAT CRs..so it is okay if we can't solve some of them :wink:

In my practice tests, I noticed that I was weak in parallel reasoning. Trying to dig out those questions from CR 1000, and solve those questions particularly. Sharing some of those with you guys. :)

I also noticed that I was weak in these types of reasoning questions, so I appreciate you posting all of these. I think if you can really master the logic of these types of questions, it will help a lot in all types of CR questions. At least I'm not taking the LSAT!
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2007, 06:35
buckkitty wrote:
aurobindo wrote:
buckkitty wrote:

E.

I also noticed that I was weak in these types of reasoning questions, so I appreciate you posting all of these. I think if you can really master the logic of these types of questions, it will help a lot in all types of CR questions. At least I'm not taking the LSAT!

Thanks buckkitty for these words "I think if you can really master the logic of these types of questions, it will help a lot in all types of CR questions". Solved some 50 questions of this type. I am able to make some sense out of a typical parallel reasoning question now. :)
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: Judge Khalid [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2007, 12:14
aurobindo wrote:

Answer: D
Re: CR: Judge Khalid   [#permalink] 28 Feb 2007, 12:14