Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 18:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The company's chief executive, whose technological

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 735 [1] , given: 40

The company's chief executive, whose technological [#permalink] New post 30 May 2010, 03:48
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

83% (02:25) correct 17% (01:31) wrong based on 35 sessions
The company's chief executive, whose technological expertise, views on the future of the industry, and decision-making style were impressive to the managers who worked with her, was also acknowledged as a leading strategist by many people outside her firm, including executives at rival companies, whose approaches often differed substantially from her own.

(A) were impressive to the managers who worked with her, was also acknowledged as a leading strategist by many people outside her firm, including executives at rival
companies, whose approaches often differed substantially from

(B) impressed the managers who worked with her, also was acknowledged as a leading strategist by many people outside her firm, including executives at rival companies, whose approaches often differed substantially from

(C) was impressive to the managers who worked with her, was also acknowledged as a leading strategist by many people outside her firm, that included executives at rival
companies, whose approaches were different substantially in comparison to

(D) was impressive to the managers who worked with her, also acknowledged as a leading strategist by many people outside her firm, who included executives at rival
companies, the approaches of whom differed substantially when compared to

(E) were an impression to the managers who worked with her, also was acknowledged as a leading strategist by many people outside her firm, including executives at rival companies, whose approaches were often substantially different from that of

Want to improve your CR: cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html
Tricky Quant problems: 50-tricky-questions-92834.html
Important Grammer Fundamentals: key-fundamentals-of-grammer-our-crucial-learnings-on-sc-93659.html

Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 539

Kudos [?]: 2282 [4] , given: 31

Re: The company's chief executive, whose technological [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2013, 10:39
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
ykaiim wrote:
The company's chief executive, whose technological expertise, views on the future of the industry, and decision-making style were impressive to the managers who worked with her, was also acknowledged as a leading strategist by many people outside her firm, including executives at rival companies, whose approaches often differed substantially from her own.
(A) were impressive to the managers who worked with her, was also acknowledged as a leading strategist by many people outside her firm, including executives at rival companies, whose approaches often differed substantially from
(B) impressed the managers who worked with her, also was acknowledged as a leading strategist by many people outside her firm, including executives at rival companies, whose approaches often differed substantially from
(C) was impressive to the managers who worked with her, was also acknowledged as a leading strategist by many people outside her firm, that included executives at rival companies, whose approaches were different substantially in comparison to
(D) was impressive to the managers who worked with her, also acknowledged as a leading strategist by many people outside her firm, who included executives at rival companies, the approaches of whom differed substantially when compared to
(E) were an impression to the managers who worked with her, also was acknowledged as a leading strategist by many people outside her firm, including executives at rival companies, whose approaches were often substantially different from that of

Dear avohden & dentobizz
Thank you for your private messages. I am happy to give my two cents on this question. :-)

I searched the web and was not able to find any source for this question --- for all I know, perhaps ykaiim made it himself. I would say this question is a faulty question, as are many questions that generate the most discussion and confusion on GC.

The word "also" is an adverb, NOT a conjunction, and it absolutely cannot be used to link two clauses or two verbs in parallel. The word "also" often accompanies a bonafide conjunction ("and also", "but also") but is not a conjunction on its own. Thus, all five answer choices are run-on sentences. I don't know what the question author was trying to test on this question, but that author apparently did not understand the basics of grammar.

The very best think you can do for your GMAT preparedness would be to pretend that this question does not exist.

Remember, if you can't determine the source, don't make it your default assumption that something in the form of a GMAT SC is actually a good question. Make it your default assumption that a question without a source may not be worth anything at all, and if it generates a great deal of controversy about the OA, then that's further evidence that it just may not be a good question. A good SC question may be tricky, but usually once someone points out the fundamental issues, most people will fall into agreement.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

3 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Affiliations: University of Florida
Schools: UFL (A)
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V29
GMAT 2: 590 Q35 V35
GMAT 3: 570 Q42 V28
GMAT 4: 610 Q44 V30
GPA: 3.45
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 279 [3] , given: 629

Re: The company's chief executive, whose technological [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2013, 20:23
This post received
KUDOS
I was torn between A & B and went with B for the the active voice instead of the passive voice. I know passive is not inherently wrong but is not preferred on the GMAT. I also noticed the difference between the "was also" and "also was". Out of curiosity I looked up the difference to see which one is correct or more correct. The following are the rules for the use of "also".

How to Use It - “Also” is used in positive sentences, to show agreement or something in common.

Alice can join us. Helene can also join us. | Mahmoud speaks French. Renata also speaks French.
Leilani likes to read novels. She also likes to read poetry. He is also becoming a teacher. We were also there.

Where to Place It “Also” comes before a single action verb.

Renata also speaks French. She also likes to read poetry.

Except… “Also” comes after a modal or “to be” verb, and before the infinitive.

We were also there. | Helene can also join us. | He is also becoming a teacher.

Source http://kaplaninternational.com/blog/how-to-use-also-too/

Back to sentence and answer choices. In both sentences the use of "to be" is in the form of was. Therefore, it is correct to put the "also" after the "was" and before the infinitive. It seems like A is correct. I know that is what some others had said, but since the OA was not specified, I needed to quell my curiosity.

(A) The company's chief executive, .... , was also acknowledged .....

(B) The company's chief executive, .... , also was acknowledged .....

Hope this helps.

Got Kudos? :) Tis better to give than receive | ANALYSIS OF MOST DIFFICULT QUESTION TYPES
Need motivation? check out this video or this one | "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle
100 HARDEST CR QUESTIONS | 100 HARDEST SC QUESTIONS | 100 HARDEST PS QUESTIONS| 25 HARDEST QUESTIONS | 225 RC PASSAGES W/ TIMER!!!
PS QUESTION DIRECTORY|DS QUESTION DIRECTORY | SC QUESTION DIRECTORY | CR QUESTION DIRECTORY | RC QUESTION DIRECTORY

BEST OVERALL QUANT BOOK FOR THE MONEY | MAXIMIZE YOUR STUDY TIME

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GRE 1: 1140 Q670 V370
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 7

Re: The company's chief executive, whose technological [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2012, 06:41
This post received
KUDOS
I am going with A and here is why:

(A) were impressive to the managers who worked with her, was also acknowledged as a leading strategist by many people outside her firm, including executives at rival

(C) was impressive to the managers who worked with her, was also acknowledged as a leading strategist by many people outside her firm, that included executives at rival

(D) was impressive to the managers who worked with her, also acknowledged as a leading strategist by many people outside her firm, who included executives at rival

Difficult things take a long time. impossible things take a little longer

Thanks for reading my post Kudos to me if you like my response:)

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 4

Re: The company's chief executive, whose technological expertise [#permalink] New post 30 May 2010, 04:44
IMO A. The choice was between a and b, didn't like 'also was' in B
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UT at Austin, Indiana State University, UC at Berkeley
WE 1: 5.5
WE 2: 5.5
WE 3: 6.0
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 16

Re: The company's chief executive, whose technological expertise [#permalink] New post 30 May 2010, 16:51
I am going for B, because it uses impressed (one word) instead of were impressive (two words)

Never give up,,,

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 20

Reviews Badge
Re: The company's chief executive, whose technological expertise [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2012, 09:56
mirzohidjon wrote:
I am going for B, because it uses impressed (one word) instead of were impressive (two words)

Yeah it uses active voice instead of passive voice but rest of the sentence is awkward.
The company's chief executive also was acknowledged as a leading strategist by many people outside her firm

hence A is correct
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GC Meter: A.W.E.S.O.M.E
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V30
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 239

Reviews Badge
Re: The company's chief executive, whose technological [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2012, 21:10
Good question I chose b blindly ! Like said..passive voice is not wrong! Big learning for me!

Posted from my mobile device Image

You haven't failed, if you haven't given up!
---
bschooladmit
Visit my Blog www.bschooladmit.wordpress.com

Check out my other posts:
Bschool Deadlines 2013-2014 | Bschool Admission Events 2013 Start your GMAT Prep with Stacey Koprince | Get a head start in MBA finance

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Statistics, International Business
Schools: Fuqua, ISB '15
GMAT Date: 12-02-2013
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 46

Kudos [?]: 168 [0], given: 39

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: The company's chief executive, whose technological [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2013, 09:52
Expert's post
Bumping for review and further discussion*.

*New project from GMAT Club!!! Check HERE

Regards,

S

Consider +1 KUDOS if you find this post useful

Manager
Manager
Status: Please do not forget to give kudos if you like my post

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The company's chief executive, whose technological [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2013, 11:29
ykaiim wrote:

Its a B for me. I eliminated A for "were impressive" this tells me that its no more impressive.
B. says Impessed which tells me nothing about a change in his expertise, views and DM.

whats the OA?

Please Help with Kudos, if you like my post.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 74

Re: The company's chief executive, whose technological [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2013, 12:48
Hi,
The correct idiom is differed from hence a is right
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 202 [0], given: 310

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The company's chief executive, whose technological [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2013, 13:31
avohden wrote:
I was torn between A & B and went with B for the the active voice instead of the passive voice. I know passive is not inherently wrong but is not preferred on the GMAT. I also noticed the difference between the "was also" and "also was". Out of curiosity I looked up the difference to see which one is correct or more correct. The following are the rules for the use of "also".

How to Use It - “Also” is used in positive sentences, to show agreement or something in common.

Alice can join us. Helene can also join us. | Mahmoud speaks French. Renata also speaks French.
Leilani likes to read novels. She also likes to read poetry. He is also becoming a teacher. We were also there.

Where to Place It “Also” comes before a single action verb.

Renata also speaks French. She also likes to read poetry.

Except… “Also” comes after a modal or “to be” verb, and before the infinitive.

We were also there. | Helene can also join us. | He is also becoming a teacher.

Source http://kaplaninternational.com/blog/how-to-use-also-too/

Back to sentence and answer choices. In both sentences the use of "to be" is in the form of was. Therefore, it is correct to put the "also" after the "was" and before the infinitive. It seems like A is correct. I know that is what some others had said, but since the OA was not specified, I needed to quell my curiosity.

(A) The company's chief executive, .... , was also acknowledged .....

(B) The company's chief executive, .... , also was acknowledged .....

Hope this helps.

Hey all, so are we all on the same page with OA being A for this one?
Cheers
J :)
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 445 [0], given: 249

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: The company's chief executive, whose technological [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2013, 00:07
ykaiim wrote:

hi ykaiim,
PLs. provide the OA and the source of the problem

How to CHOOSE your Business School
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

Rules for posting on the verbal forum
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources such as 1000 series.

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 279 [0], given: 629

Re: The company's chief executive, whose technological [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2013, 11:56
Quote:
hi ykaiim,

As this question was posted in 2010 and ykaiim last visted the forum in August 2012, I don't think a response is forthcoming. I checked the net for any other postings of this question and the only other place this question is posted is on BTG. The responses there indicated A was answer. I think its safe to conclude that A is the OA but I will pm an expert for a unofficial resolution.

Got Kudos? :) Tis better to give than receive | ANALYSIS OF MOST DIFFICULT QUESTION TYPES
Need motivation? check out this video or this one | "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle
100 HARDEST CR QUESTIONS | 100 HARDEST SC QUESTIONS | 100 HARDEST PS QUESTIONS| 25 HARDEST QUESTIONS | 225 RC PASSAGES W/ TIMER!!!
PS QUESTION DIRECTORY|DS QUESTION DIRECTORY | SC QUESTION DIRECTORY | CR QUESTION DIRECTORY | RC QUESTION DIRECTORY

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Re: The company's chief executive, whose technological [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2013, 13:25
avohden wrote:
Quote:
hi ykaiim,

As this question was posted in 2010 and ykaiim last visted the forum in August 2012, I don't think a response is forthcoming. I checked the net for any other postings of this question and the only other place this question is posted is on BTG. The responses there indicated A was answer. I think its safe to conclude that A is the OA but I will pm an expert for a unofficial resolution.

Yes true, I have pmed the original poster. If he doesn't respond will ask an expert to comment

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 279 [0], given: 629

Re: The company's chief executive, whose technological [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2013, 21:02
mikemcgarry wrote:
The very best think you can do for your GMAT preparedness would be to pretend that this question does not exist.

LOL mike :lol: - Good advice! Sometimes the takeaway from a practice question is to not take anything away from the question. :lol:

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Re: The company's chief executive, whose technological [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2013, 23:22
mikemcgarry wrote:
ykaiim wrote:
(A) were impressive to the managers who worked with her, was also acknowledged as a leading strategist by many people outside her firm, including executives at rival companies, whose approaches often differed substantially from
(C) was impressive to the managers who worked with her, was also acknowledged as a leading strategist by many people outside her firm, that included executives at rival companies, whose approaches were different substantially in comparison to
(D) was impressive to the managers who worked with her, also acknowledged as a leading strategist by many people outside her firm, who included executives at rival companies, the approaches of whom differed substantially when compared to

Dear avohden & dentobizz
Thank you for your private messages. I am happy to give my two cents on this question. :-)

I searched the web and was not able to find any source for this question --- for all I know, perhaps ykaiim made it himself. I would say this question is a faulty question, as are many questions that generate the most discussion and confusion on GC.

The word "also" is an adverb, NOT a conjunction, and it absolutely cannot be used to link two clauses or two verbs in parallel. The word "also" often accompanies a bonafide conjunction ("and also", "but also") but is not a conjunction on its own. Thus, all five answer choices are run-on sentences. I don't know what the question author was trying to test on this question, but that author apparently did not understand the basics of grammar.

Remember, if you can't determine the source, don't make it your default assumption that something in the form of a GMAT SC is actually a good question. Make it your default assumption that a question without a source may not be worth anything at all, and if it generates a great deal of controversy about the OA, then that's further evidence that it just may not be a good question. A good SC question may be tricky, but usually once someone points out the fundamental issues, most people will fall into agreement.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Thank you Mike for clearing that up. I cent percent concur with you on that

Re: The company's chief executive, whose technological   [#permalink] 05 Nov 2013, 23:22