Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 10:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The company s efforts to seek advance orders for its

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 225 [1] , given: 543

The company s efforts to seek advance orders for its [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2013, 00:18
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (medium)

Question Stats:

37% (02:20) correct 63% (01:25) wrong based on 237 sessions
The company’s efforts to seek advance orders for its computers will set off an intense new phase with its chief rival, one determined more by how efficiently each company can produce computers than by their visions.

a) one determined more by how efficiently each company can produce computers than by their visions.
b) which will determine more how efficiently each company can produce computers than their visions
c) which will determine more how efficiently each company can produce computers than by its visions
d) one that will be determined more by how efficiently each company can produce computers than its visions.
e) one determined more by how efficiently each company can produce computers as by its vision.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
What is the referent for "their visions"

Kindly provide detailed explanations!
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Click +1 Kudos if my post helped...

Amazing Free video explanation for all Quant questions from OG 13 and much more http://www.gmatquantum.com/og13th/

GMAT Prep software What if scenarios gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

3 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 104

Kudos [?]: 1084 [3] , given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: The company’s efforts to seek advance orders for its compute [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2013, 01:06
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
The company’s efforts to seek advance orders for its computers will set off an intense new phase with its chief rival, one determined more by how efficiently each company can produce computers than by their visions.

B and C use "which", but it refers to the "chef rival":
B-C) which (chief rival) will determine more
this is logically not correct

a) one determined more by how efficiently each company can produce computers than by their visions.
d) one that will be determined more by how efficiently each company can produce computers than its visions.
e) one determined more by how efficiently each company can produce computers as by its vision.

Only A mantains a proper structure, hence is correct.
"their" refers to the companies, and more than one company is discussed in the passage "their visions" is required.
If I say "its vision" than I' m talking about a singolar company and the strcuture would not be correct, for example:
"determined by (how A and B produce) and by (how only A sells)" .

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 2.9
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 326 [1] , given: 297

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: The company’s efforts to seek advance orders for its compute [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2013, 04:18
This post received
KUDOS

Correct
Correclty uses the idiom more by X than by Y

b) which will determine more how efficiently each company can produce computers than their visions
which modifies the touching noun, hence incorrect
c) which will determine more how efficiently each company can produce computers than by its visions
which modifies the touching noun, hence incorrect
should be than by its visions, parallelism error
more by X as by Y is idiomatically wrong,
it should be more by X than by Y

ISB Class of 2016 | Chat Session with ISB ADCOM | How to get started with Essays | GMAT Retake Debrief
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
ISB Class of 2015 | My GMAT Debrief | My ISB Interview | General interview tips | How to tackle "Do you have anything to ask" question | Important links by the ISB ADCOM for applications and interview preparation

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 36

Re: The company’s efforts to seek advance orders for its compute [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2013, 18:59
Zarrolou, I agree that A maintains parallelism but I have a few questions. Please clarify

In A, " each" is singular. And also the sentence says the "Company's" but not "companies". So isnt the use of "thier" incorrect in A?

Maadhu

MGMAT1 - 540 ( Trying to improve )

VP
VP
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 104

Kudos [?]: 1084 [0], given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: The company’s efforts to seek advance orders for its compute [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2013, 22:17
maaadhu wrote:
Zarrolou, I agree that A maintains parallelism but I have a few questions. Please clarify

In A, " each" is singular. And also the sentence says the "Company's" but not "companies". So isnt the use of "thier" incorrect in A?

Yes, you're correct but the not underlined sentence talks about two "subjects/companies", so if we want to refer to both of them "their" is required.
The sentence talks about more than one company, so "their" is correct, even though the word "companies" does not appear in the sentence

The company’s efforts to seek advance orders for its computers will set off an intense new phase with its chief rival

Hope it's clear

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V44
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.1
WE: Sales (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 40

Re: The company’s efforts to seek advance orders for its compute [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2013, 20:59
I see how A is correct due to parallelism, but I don't like how the first part is future tense but the second part is "determined" which is past tense. I focused on that instead of the "by" that's missing...

can someone elaborate on why that tense switch is OK?
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 2: 660 Q50 V29
GMAT 3: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.2
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 166

GMAT Tests User
Re: The company s efforts to seek advance orders for its [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2013, 03:11
Could someone explain why we have used "their" in (A). The explanations given till date are not that clear to me
Thanks!

Didn't give up !!! Still Trying!!

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools: ISB '15
WE: Account Management (Other)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 61

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The company s efforts to seek advance orders for its [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2013, 03:57
I am not comfortable with use of their in the choice A. That is the reason why I rejected the choice handsdown.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 8

Re: The company s efforts to seek advance orders for its [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2013, 11:51
This post received
KUDOS

Here, the first part of the sentence focuses on company's efforts even though sentence uses antecedent ITS in the sentence . But the second part of the sentence begins with "one" that refers to "efforts" put by the company. As we have more X than Y idiom in the second part, X uses by how efficiently each company. Here word "each" talks about more than one company, so to keep other part also parallel we must use "their."

Hence A

Kudos please..... if you like my explanation.
Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 06-27-2014
GPA: 3.2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 6

Re: The company s efforts to seek advance orders for its [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2013, 20:46
B, C change the meaning somehow. one determined by and which will determine convey different meanings.

Between A,D and E - A maintains the parallelism.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 291

Re: The company s efforts to seek advance orders for its [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2013, 18:34
Can somebody explain what this sentence means? I have no clue what the underlined portion wants to convey.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 112

Kudos [?]: 1094 [0], given: 118

Re: The company s efforts to seek advance orders for its [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2013, 22:02
This post was
BOOKMARKED
mohnish104 wrote:
Can somebody explain what this sentence means? I have no clue what the underlined portion wants to convey.

Hi mohnish

This question uses structure Noun+noun modifier. ==> Noun + noun modifier can modify:
(1) Preceding noun
(2) Preceding clause
(3) Any noun in the preceding clause.

In the underlined portion, "a new phase" is replaced by "one". The meaning is: The company's efforts start a new phase, which is determined more by how efficiently each company can produce computers than by their visions.

The blue parts keep the two parts of the sentence parallel in meaning.

Hope it helps.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: The company s efforts to seek advance orders for its [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2013, 22:58
pqhai wrote:
mohnish104 wrote:

Hi mohnish

This question uses structure Noun+noun modifier. ==> Noun + noun modifier can modify:
(1) Preceding noun
(2) Preceding clause

In the underlined portion, "a new phase" is replaced by "one". The meaning is: The company's efforts start a new phase, which is determined more by how efficiently each company can produce computers than by their visions.

Hope it helps.

Thanks pqhai, I didn't understand this particular part "than by their visons" like how efficiently each company can produce computers than by their visions. What do/does visions mean in this context?
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 112

Kudos [?]: 1094 [1] , given: 118

Re: The company s efforts to seek advance orders for its [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2013, 23:24
This post received
KUDOS
mohnish104 wrote:
pqhai wrote:
mohnish104 wrote:

Hi mohnish

(1) Preceding noun
(2) Preceding clause

Hope it helps.

Thanks pqhai, I didn't understand this particular part "than by their visons" like how efficiently each company can produce computers than by their visions. What do/does visions mean in this context?

Mohnish

"vision" is a business terminology in this sentence. "vision" means how a company decide its goals in the mid-term or long-term future to be successful. For example: The CEO's vision is to make his clothing shop become the largest fashion retail stores chain all over the world.

Back to this question: a rephrased version of this question is:
The company's efforts start a new phase, which is determined more by how efficiently each company can produce computers than by how each company decides its goals in the future.

You can understand the question like: the company should try its best NOW rather than think about goals in the FUTURE.

Hope it's clear.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: The company s efforts to seek advance orders for its [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2013, 01:24
Thanks a lot pqhai. The sentence makes much sense now. :)
Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS '17
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V35

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 10

Re: The company s efforts to seek advance orders for its [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2014, 19:12
Hi,

I am really confused about option A.

In the MGMAT SC Book, it is clearly mentioned that when 'each' precedes a subject / compound plural subject, it always takes a singular verb.
For example -
Each of these shirts is pretty.

When it follows, it has no bearing on the verb form.
For example -
They each are great tennis players.

Could some MGMAT expert please explain how this sentence is an exception?

Thanks!
Re: The company s efforts to seek advance orders for its   [#permalink] 11 Jan 2014, 19:12