Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 01:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The computer company has announced that it will purchase the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 157 [1] , given: 136

The computer company has announced that it will purchase the [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2013, 04:57
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

59% (01:51) correct 41% (01:10) wrong based on 140 sessions
The computer company has announced that it will purchase the color-printing division of a rival company for $950 million, which is part of a deal that will make it the largest manufacturer in the office color-printing market,
A) million, which is part of a deal that will make
B) million, a part of a deal that makes
C) million, a part of a deal making
D) million as a part of a deal to make
E) million as part of a deal that will make

Hi Experts,

Request you to please share your reasoning on the following doubts -

Doubt 1:
OG explanation says that " The appositive phrase requires a clear antecedent; making does not indicate future tense"

However, as per -ing rules, ing modifiers are tenseless, and thus adopts the tense from the clause that it modifies.
So, I believe, we can write option C as -

a part of a deal that will make...... the tense can be adopted from the previous clause since it is the outcome of that clause. Please enlighten.

Doubt 2-
What is the difference between a part of vs part of vs the part of .

Thanks
H
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

+1 Kudos me, Help me unlocking GMAT Club Tests

Director
Director
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 40

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: The computer company has announced-Usage of Noun+Noun Mod [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2013, 06:02
Quote:
Doubt 1:
OG explanation says that " The appositive phrase requires a clear antecedent; making does not indicate future tense"

However, as per -ing rules, ing modifiers are tenseless, and thus adopts the tense from the clause that it modifies.
So, I believe, we can write option C as -

a part of a deal that will make...... the tense can be adopted from the previous clause since it is the outcome of that clause. Please enlighten.

u r missing a major flaw in C: meaning wise C is nonsensical
ask ur self :is it a part of a deal or the deal itself that will make it the largest manufacturer in the office color-printing market
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 267

Kudos [?]: 1703 [0], given: 249

Premium Member
Re: The computer company has announced-Usage of Noun+Noun Mod [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2013, 08:46
Expert's post
I wouldn’t think that there is great hair-splitting difference between a part of a deal and as part of a deal. But in C the problem is that a part refers to the million, by virtue of the comma before it while in E as part of a deal refers to the entre clause before it. As per Ron’s view, ‘a part’ is used for more concrete nouns such as 950 million and as part of is used for inconcrete and less perceptible abstract events like purchase or acquisition
Here the sentence means to focus on the event rather than the money involved

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 157 [0], given: 136

Re: The computer company has announced-Usage of Noun+Noun Mod [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2013, 10:24
aditya8062 wrote:

u r missing a major flaw in C: meaning wise C is nonsensical
ask ur self :is it a part of a deal or the deal itself that will make it the largest manufacturer in the office color-printing market

If in E, that is referring to Deal, then by every reason, "making" is modifying deal only.

+1 Kudos me, Help me unlocking GMAT Club Tests

Director
Director
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 40

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: The computer company has announced-Usage of Noun+Noun Mod [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2013, 10:32
Quote:
If in E, that is referring to Deal, then by every reason, "making" is modifying deal only.

this analysis is correct !!
in fact a part of a deal can never make ...blah blah. it can only be the complete deal that can do so !!

now C was giving this weird meaning as said by me in my last post :that a part of a deal is doing blah blah ...
3 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 137

Kudos [?]: 1388 [3] , given: 122

Re: The computer company has announced that it will purchase the [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2013, 18:01
This post received
KUDOS
Good question. Meaning wins! :)

The computer company has announced that it will purchase the color-printing division of a rival company for $950 million, which is part of a deal that will make it the largest manufacturer in the office color-printing market,

A) million, which is part of a deal that will make
Wrong even the option is quite attractive.
Meaning: "which" modifies the CLOSEST noun "590 million" <-- wrong meaning because 590M is NOT a part that will make the computer company the largest manufacture. In fact, the purchase (an action) of the color-printing division is a part that makes the computer the largest manufacturer.

B) million, a part of a deal that makes
Wrong. Because the company will purchase.............. --> Future tense should be used, not simple present tense.

C) million, a part of a deal making
Wrong. Because the company will purchase.............. --> Future tense should be used.

D) million as a part of a deal to make
Wrong meaning. It seems the company will purchase the printing division to make it largest manufacturer. The intended meaning is that the deal makes the company the largest manufacturer.

E) million as part of a deal that will make
Correct. Only E keeps correct grammar and intended meaning.

Hope it helps.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 413 [0], given: 210

Re: The computer company has announced that it will purchase the [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2014, 13:29
A) million, which is part of a deal that will make -- which is modifying color printing division which is not the part of deal .. it is the purchase.
B) million, a part of a deal that makes -- deal will happen in future thus that makes in present is not correct, it is not a general fact even.
C) million, a part of a deal making -- making is indicating continual ongoing action. thus for a future event it is not correct.
D) million as a part of a deal to make -- meaning changed cause and effect reversed.
E) million as part of a deal that will make -- correct one-- using will, in this option reference is made to future

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Re: The computer company has announced that it will purchase the   [#permalink] 21 Mar 2014, 13:29