Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 13:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The computer company's present troubles are a result of

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 100 [0], given: 11

The computer company's present troubles are a result of [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2011, 04:48
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

59% (01:51) correct 41% (01:01) wrong based on 260 sessions
The computer company's present troubles are a result of technological stagnation, marketing missteps, and managerial blunders so that several attempts to revise corporate strategies have failed to correct it.

a. so that several attempts to revise corporate strategies have failed to correct it
b. so that several attempts at revising corporate strategies have failed to correct
c. in that several attempts at revising corporate strategies have failed to correct them.
d. that several attempts to revise corporate strategies have failed to correct
e. that several attempts at revising corporate strategies have failed to correct them.

Can someone please provide a better reasoning behind the ans
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Verbal:new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ajit

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 47 [1] , given: 2

Re: The computer company's present troubles [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2011, 08:34
This post received
KUDOS
I think the reason why you are having problems with this sentence is because the meaning is not clear to you.

Look at the sentence with correct option D:

The computer companys present troubles are a result of technological stagnation, marketing missteps, and managerial blunders that several attempts to revise corporate strategies have failed to correct.

The computer companys present troubles are a result of (technological stagnation, marketing missteps, and managerial blunders) that several attempts to revise corporate strategies have failed to correct.

So, that modifies technological stagnation, marketing missteps, and managerial blunders. Essentially, the sentence is saying that several attempts to revise corporate strategies have failed to correct technological stagnation, marketing missteps, and managerial blunders.

Lets look at a simpler sentence if the above structure is still not clear:

Do we say:

This is the shop that I have opened.

Or do we say:

This is the shop that I have opened it.

Clearly it, as used in the second sentence, is neither necessary nor desirable.

Hence, E (that uses them) is not correct.

Thanks,
Ashish
GMAT - 99th Pecentile, MBA-ISB, Faculty @ http://www.EducationAisle.com

Our book Sentence Correction Nirvana available at

Amazon: Sentence Correction Nirvana
Flipkart: Sentence Correction Nirvana

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 100 [0], given: 11

Re: The computer company's present troubles [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2011, 08:41
Thanks Ashish...yea it was the problem with the 'it' at the end of the sc....thnks for the explanation

Verbal:new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ajit

Manager
Manager
WE 1: 4 yr IT
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 26

Re: The computer company's present troubles [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2011, 22:12
D for me.
the "so" and "in"at the beginning is incorrect.
leaves us with D and E of which D having to revise "sounds" right.

this time, we play for keeps

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 18

Re: The computer company's present troubles [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2011, 08:44
"attempt to do something" is idomatically right => A or D.
"it" in A is wrong ( as EducationAisle's explain) => D is correct.

Hung M.Tran
Faculty of Banking and Finance,
National Economics University of Vietnam

Follow me on Twitter : http://twitter.com/AndyTranHung

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UC Berkley, UCLA
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 56 [1] , given: 66

Re: The computer company's present troubles [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2011, 09:14
This post received
KUDOS
ajit257 wrote:
The computer company's present troubles are a result of technological stagnation, marketing missteps, and managerial blunders so that several attempts to revise corporate strategies have failed to correct it.

a. so that several attempts to revise corporate strategies have failed to correct it
b. so that several attempts at revising corporate strategies have failed to correct
c. in that several attempts at revising corporate strategies have failed to correct them.
e. that several attempts at revising corporate strategies have failed to correct them.

Let's begin with the original sentence. So... that construction is wrong in that sentence b/c you use so... that in a construction that has an adjective in between. He is so strong that... or she is so sensitive that.... For this reason, A and B are out.

In C in that is incorrectly used b/c in that is a formal way of saying because and that is not what we are trying to convey in the message.

In E is says, "attempts at revising corporate" the sentence uses at to convey purpose when to should have been used instead.

Now you have D, that is properly used in the sentence, to is used to convey purpose. There's your answer.

Thank you for your kudoses Everyone!!!

"It always seems impossible until its done."
-Nelson Mandela

Manager
Manager
Schools: Fuqua
WE 1: Research in Neurology
WE 2: MORE research in Neurology

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 55

Re: The computer company's present troubles [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2011, 13:39
ajit257 wrote:

D for me, the 'so' did not sound good to the ear, no did 'in'

Back to the grind, goal 700+

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: The computer company's present troubles [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2011, 01:26
I'l go with D

d. that several attempts to revise corporate strategies have failed to correct CORRECT
SVP
SVP
Followers: 277

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: The computer company's present troubles are a result of [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2013, 01:35
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: The computer company's present troubles are a result of   [#permalink] 21 Nov 2013, 01:35