Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 11:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The computer company s present troubles are a result of

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 10

The computer company s present troubles are a result of [#permalink] New post 01 May 2012, 20:09
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

54% (01:59) correct 46% (01:16) wrong based on 95 sessions
The computer company’s present troubles are a result of technological stagnation,
marketing missteps, and managerial blunders so that several attempts to revise
corporate strategies have failed to correct it

a) so that several attempts to revise corporate strategies have failed to correct it.

b) so that several attempts at revising corporate strategies have failed to correct

c) in that several attempts at revising corporate strategies have failed to correct them

d) that several attempts to revise corporate strategies have failed to correct

e) that several attempts at revising corporate strategies have failed to correct them

doesn't C sound better among the given options ?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 107 [0], given: 31

Re: computer company’s present troubles [#permalink] New post 01 May 2012, 21:26
The computer company’s present troubles are a result of technological stagnation,
marketing missteps, and managerial blunders so that several attempts to revise
corporate strategies have failed to correct it

c) in that several attempts at revising corporate strategies have failed to correct them
--> "in that " would answer why are the troubles result of these factors. But here sentence restricts the reasons by saying several attempts have failed to correct.
Also "them" is ambiguous and wrong by referring to troubles.

Practice Practice and practice...!!

If my reply /analysis is helpful-->please press KUDOS
If there's a loophole in my analysis--> suggest measures to make it airtight.

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1299

Kudos [?]: 3675 [3] , given: 185

Re: computer company’s present troubles [#permalink] New post 02 May 2012, 06:45
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi All,

The computer company’s present troubles are a result of technological stagnation, marketing missteps, and managerial blunders so that several attempts to revise corporate strategies have failed to correct it.

• The computer company is facing troubles because of three issues:
o technological stagnation,
o marketing missteps, and
o managerial blunders.
• The company has tried several measures to revise its corporate strategies but all have failed to solve these issues. However, this sentence does not express the meaning correctly because of use of “so that”.

• The clause following “so that” is not doing the job it is supposed to` as discussed earlier. Meaning error here.
• All these entities are noun phrases and the modifier following them actually describes these so we simply need a noun modifier to describe them. If “so” is removed from “so that”, then “that” will correctly turn into the noun modifier that will correctly describe all the troubles.
• Singular pronoun “it” is incorrect to refer to three troubles. In fact, we don’t even need that pronoun. Let’s understand this with the help of a simple example.
o Dr Lee’s degree allows him to diagnose ear, nose and throat diseases that he cures for very little fee.

In this sentence we do not need “them” after “cures” because all the diseases that Dr Lee can cure has already been stated. Similarly, we don’t need any pronoun in the “that clause” as all the troubles that the computer company is facing have already been stated.

POE:

Choice A: so that several attempts to revise corporate strategies have failed to correct it: Incorrect for the reasons discussed above.

Choice B: so that several attempts at revising corporate strategies have failed to correct: Incorrect. Same meaning error as in A.

Choice C: in that several attempts at revising corporate strategies have failed to correct them: Incorrect.
a. The function of the clause following “in that” is to describe the “how” of the preceding clause.
o Bats are very good at guarding their nests in that they take turns in looking after the nests and inform the others members by making sound if they sense any danger.
But in this choice, the 2nd clause is not describing how the three issues actually lead to troubles for the computer company.
b. Pronoun “them” is incorrect. Logically this should refer to the tech stagnation, missteps, and blunders. But the way it is used, it refers to strategies and that distorts the meaning of the sentence.

Choice D: that several attempts to revise corporate strategies have failed to correct. Correct.

Choice E: that several attempts at revising corporate strategies have failed to correct them. Incorrect. Same pronoun error as in C.

1. Modifiers must be worded correctly to convey the intended meaning of the sentence.
2. Every pronoun must be used correctly.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

SVP
SVP
Followers: 277

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: The computer company s present troubles are a result of [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2014, 09:21
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: The computer company s present troubles are a result of   [#permalink] 18 Jun 2014, 09:21